PDA

View Full Version : ACOD in-game tutorials

Vogue77
07-18-2018, 06:02 AM
Heya, I pre-ordered this game because I fell in love with what I saw at E3 (I did not like Origins that much so skipped that one, since Syndicate I really wanted to play a female protagonist).

It all looks amazing, and I am thrilled about the combat as well, but I would like to know if the game will have tutorials (text or video) to explain how combat works, how to perform certain moves / combos / finishers etc, what is the difference between light melee attacks and heavy melee attacks (I know how this worked in Dark Souls series as I played all of them with passion) if the enemy type you are facing favors use of heavy or light attacks etc (since combat abilities are independent of your own attacks as far as I understood and those are situational).

Will there be i-frames on dodges / parry? For example can you let's say, spartan kick an enemy and then back-flip / roll / dodge to avoid incoming attacks from other 2 enemies?

Really thrilled for the game, can't wait for more news / updates / videos etc to pop up!

PS: My system is an I7-4770 3.4ghz, 16gb RAM, gtx 1060 6gb, so I expect to be able to play it on med-high @1920x1200 cheers!

MnemonicSyntax
07-18-2018, 06:16 AM
Heya, I pre-ordered this game because I fell in love with what I saw at E3 (I did not like Origins that much so skipped that one, since Syndicate I really wanted to play a female protagonist).

It all looks amazing, and I am thrilled about the combat as well, but I would like to know if the game will have tutorials (text or video) to explain how combat works, how to perform certain moves / combos / finishers etc, what is the difference between light melee attacks and heavy melee attacks (I know how this worked in Dark Souls series as I played all of them with passion) if the enemy type you are facing favors use of heavy or light attacks etc (since combat abilities are independent of your own attacks as far as I understood and those are situational).

Will there be i-frames on dodges / parry? For example can you let's say, spartan kick an enemy and then back-flip / roll / dodge to avoid incoming attacks from other 2 enemies?

Really thrilled for the game, can't wait for more news / updates / videos etc to pop up!

PS: My system is an I7-4770 3.4ghz, 16gb RAM, gtx 1060 6gb, so I expect to be able to play it on med-high @1920x1200 cheers!

You might watch an Origins Let's Play of you haven't already, the first hour or so shows has a pretty decent tutorial on how combat works. If you use a controller with your PC, the standard setting has light and heavy attacks moved to the right trigger and shoulder. In Origins, you can change this though. I am sure Odyssey is the same way.

Light and heavy is pretty much speed versus break defense. There are some differences related to weapon use and chrsge attacks a d these might carry in Ody.

Ubisoft is pretty good with tutorials and in Origins shows what each skill does in a small clip before you "purchase" it.

Of course, this isn't Odyssey, but Origins shares the same engine.

Lastly, not sure of you are aware, you do play as a female in parts of Origins. While it is admittedly not much, if you can get Origins on the cheap I highly recommend it.

Vogue77
07-18-2018, 06:29 AM
I did watch plenty of Origins LP's, tutorials etc, it just didn't click enough for me to buy it - sure I might get it on discount, but it did not have the same MUST HAVE! when I saw AOD :)

I do use a controller (xbox 360). In DS each weapon had a chain of attacks (that performed differently) as you performed more consecutive attacks with same attack type (light or heavy) or you could combo / mix light+heavy+heavy or heavy+light+heavy without breaking combat flow (depending which part of which chain of attacks you needed at a given time). Is this also present in AOD?

As far as I noticed chaining attacks doesn't seem to "stun" or interrupt enemy actions (in DS you could "stunlock" enemies by hitting them repeatedly to interrupt their attacks in most cases). Since we can parry, is there a followup to the parry for critical damage with i-frames included?

MnemonicSyntax
07-18-2018, 06:41 AM
I did watch plenty of Origins LP's, tutorials etc, it just didn't click enough for me to buy it - sure I might get it on discount, but it did not have the same MUST HAVE! when I saw AOD :)

I do use a controller (xbox 360). In DS each weapon had a chain of attacks (that performed differently) as you performed more consecutive attacks with same attack type (light or heavy) or you could combo / mix light+heavy+heavy or heavy+light+heavy without breaking combat flow (depending which part of which chain of attacks you needed at a given time). Is this also present in AOD?

It is, but it depends.on enemy type. (In Origins anyway)

Some of the enemies will counter your attacks and "learn." Most weapons will also push the enemy away after several well landed hits, giving them time to recover and prevent from being juggled too much. (Again, talking Origins here)

As far as I noticed chaining attacks doesn't seem to "stun" or interrupt enemy actions (in DS you could "stunlock" enemies by hitting them repeatedly to interrupt their attacks in most cases). Since we can parry, is there a followup to the parry for critical damage with i-frames included?

Yes, it's sort of a mini crit though, if that. You can't stunlock, and i-frames (I'm assuming you mean invincible frames?) do exist but I think it's more of a fault of the hit boxes than actual frames. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Most of what you're referring to comes from 2d fighters. I've never played DS before so I don't know how it relates in those terms but if it's similar to 2d fighters than that's the info I have (Origins based).

Now, Ody's combat as I'm sure you've seen is pretty different. So these changes may or may not carry over.

quanzaizai
07-19-2018, 07:12 PM
In ACOrigin first hour is basic tutorial but it would not tell which weapon or tactic should use depend on each enemy type or how you are going to use special ability.
idk about how they put basic tutorial in Odyssey but special attack have small clip in the menu for tutorial/

Vogue77
07-20-2018, 07:58 AM
Much appreciated information, thank you both!