PDA

View Full Version : Help, Strange lock-up after patch...

bear_boradin
02-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi Guys,
A strange thing just happened to me and i wondered if it has happened to anyone else?

I eagerly installed patch 4.03m and worked my way through the new flyable aircraft enjoying everyone of them. Then decided i'd make a QMB mission at Crimea, 2x Tempest vs 4x D0-335. Dodging around for about a minute, i get on the six of this Pfeil and get in the position for a full deflection shot. I fire my 20mm bad boys and as soon as the cannon shells struck the enemy aircraft my screen froze like a tv with no aerial! With a faint outline of the tempest cockpit still visible. I attach a picture of the screen taken from my phone as i was so amazed at what i was seeing. I have never experienced lock-ups before in PF, ever.

I rebooted my machine and it would not get past counting the RAM so i tried a cold boot and now shes up and running again. I'm too scared to try PF again now!

Here is the picture.

Anyone got a clue what went wrong?

- bear
http://www.web-wings.co.uk/chrisbroad/fuzz.jpg

bear_boradin
02-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Hi Guys,
A strange thing just happened to me and i wondered if it has happened to anyone else?

I eagerly installed patch 4.03m and worked my way through the new flyable aircraft enjoying everyone of them. Then decided i'd make a QMB mission at Crimea, 2x Tempest vs 4x D0-335. Dodging around for about a minute, i get on the six of this Pfeil and get in the position for a full deflection shot. I fire my 20mm bad boys and as soon as the cannon shells struck the enemy aircraft my screen froze like a tv with no aerial! With a faint outline of the tempest cockpit still visible. I attach a picture of the screen taken from my phone as i was so amazed at what i was seeing. I have never experienced lock-ups before in PF, ever.

I rebooted my machine and it would not get past counting the RAM so i tried a cold boot and now shes up and running again. I'm too scared to try PF again now!

Here is the picture.

Anyone got a clue what went wrong?

- bear
http://www.web-wings.co.uk/chrisbroad/fuzz.jpg

LEXX_Luthor
02-09-2006, 06:35 PM
For how long were you playing before the crash?

Grafix card overheating? That happened to me, and I figured it out because any modern game I played it would lock up totally in a short time. The more I played, the more lockup. Starting cold, I could go 15 minutes before lockup, then less than a minute before lockups. I looked under my video card (ATI) and the fan was not spinning. Busted!

BadA1m
02-09-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm with Lexx, looks like an overheated Video card.

bear_boradin
02-10-2006, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, and yes i at first would have been inclined to have said that, only I have never had PF lockup. Infact with my rig, so far i've not experienced a lockup in any game.

My system temp and graphx temp are kept low with consistant cooling and i wasn't even working the game hard. Just 6 aircraft on crimea map. No AAA, No objects etc.

It's funny how this happens just after installing patch 4.03m.

I tried the same mission again afterwards and it was fine.

Any other suggestions?

Waldo.Pepper
02-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I have another idea but I don't think you will like it.

Then the card while operating in normal temps is near to failing.