PDA

View Full Version : It's all so toxic and boring now...

PDXGorechild
07-17-2018, 10:12 AM
Meh, not a goodbye thread as i'll probably be back October to try out the new classes and breach, which I don't hold out a huge amount of hope for. But I am taking a break. I feel like this game has potentially irrevocably lost it's way and hordes of abrasive morons have come to feast on the carcass of what it once was.

Here are my perceived problems in order of annoyance:

1. Boring game modes. On Playstation, at anything other than peak time at weekends, population for anything other than dominion is medium at best. Often times all other game modes are low and dominion is very high. We all know too well what dominion has become - a toxic gank fest rammed full of annoying, imbalanced feats. Hard as I try I just can't enjoy this game mode most of the time now. If I had a pre-made group perhaps I'd enjoy it a bit more, but all of my friends quit way back when Ubi dropped the Centurion and Alustar callously abandoned me to migrate to PC. So I'm basically pigeonholed into playing the one crappy game mode with any players on it.

2. The online community seems to have gone totally toxic. There is very rarely any honour any more. I find on the occasions when I treat other players honourably it's not reciprocated. Not that this alone is a gamebreaker, I can play dirty, but when there's teabagging, emote spamming and hate/gloating messages so frequently it puts a sour taste in my mouth after every game. Yesterday I saw a Shaman run around laying numerous traps and spent the whole fight just trying to lure me into them. A conqueror catapulted me whilst I, with one bar of health left, fought his full health friend in a one on one when the rest of my team were broken and dead. A team of Raiders and Lawbringers spent an entire game of sky fort running my team off ledges. There seems to always be that one little maggot of a player on the enemy team who will not fight you one-on-one, and instead runs away when the opportunity arises, but is always there to deliver the killing blow when his buddies are around distracting you. It's infuriating. It seems to me like everyone just became obsessed with winning so much that they forgot to have fun, like little kids do with board games. The sportsmanship is gone. Lame tactics rule supreme. It's basically a "Can't beat them, join them" scenario.

3. Some characters have lost their identity. Orochi doesn't feel like a counter-attacker any more. Conqueror is one of the best offensive classes in the game. Dunno wtf they did to PK but she feels like a watered down shaman. The game has become somewhat of an unbolckables and fast light attack fest which will only get worse if they continue reworking old classes in the same fashion. Not saying all the reworks are trash, but all I can see they've achieved so far is to accentuate the potential for a gank fest whilst simultaneously making the game less accessible to new players. I find "For Honor" difficult and frustrating enough with 18 months experience, I really can't begin to imagine how it feels for a brand new player, with or without the arena to practice in. The flawed matchmaking system makes this worse.
I honestly think Ubisoft's FH team should revert back to the original cast and start over with what they have learned, I felt like the game was closer to perfection back then even with my gimped Berserker and Warlord ruling the roost. I know it won't happen, but it seems to me we're now in a situation where there's too many classes, too much crazy sh!t flying about and everything has gotten a bit out of hand and turned into a mess.

4. Parry. Still. None of the above apply so much to duels, but If I can be bothered to wait 5 minutes for a duel this is generally what happens. The whole 1v1 game, despite the changes, is still all built around this ridiculous mechanic. It's become essential to feint and rely on guaranteed damage to lay any kind of damage on your opponent if they have experience. It's all staring at each other while rapidly changing guard stance, circling around before throwing 1, 2 or 3, feints and landing a single hit if you're lucky. A turtle will kill you with purely guaranteed damage from parry, which still seems to be the best way to beat your opponent.
I liken it to Dragonball Z in my head, with two heroes darting about the sky throwing flurries of attacks at each other that don't land, with one of them eventually making contact and sending the other flying through the side of a mountain. It's totally ridiculous and I can't be the only one who thinks so. If it were up to me i'd take away all free damage from parry and make it so it just takes around 30% of the targets stamina off, making it a situational move useful for putting your enemy out of stamina if they're low or to impede the advance of overly aggressive players.

TL;DR: It's all gone to sh!t.

Anyway I'm hooked on Xcom 2 at the moment, highly recommend it if anyone here fancies a break and drastic change of pace ;)

See ya'll in October.

SpaceJim12
07-17-2018, 10:54 AM
1. Boring game modes. On Playstation, at anything other than peak time at weekends, population for anything other than dominion is medium at best. Often times all other game modes are low and dominion is very high. We all know too well what dominion has become - a toxic gank fest rammed full of annoying, imbalanced feats. Hard as I try I just can't enjoy this game mode most of the time now. If I had a pre-made group perhaps I'd enjoy it a bit more, but all of my friends quit way back when Ubi dropped the Centurion and Alustar callously abandoned me to migrate to PC. So I'm basically pigeonholed into playing the one crappy game mode with any players on it.

And most broken gamemode after all. Still see so many times, when my team have more objectives, more kills and less deathes, but still we loose cause of stupid point gain system.
I really hope devs will rework Dominion in season 7, cause after breach this game mode will be dead, I think. Even if Breach will be same disbalanced and broken, still it will be more intresting, than just running around the zones with no obviouse profit.

2. The online community seems to have gone totally toxic. There is very rarely any honour any more. I find on the occasions when I treat other players honourably it's not reciprocated. Not that this alone is a gamebreaker, I can play dirty, but when there's teabagging, emote spamming and hate/gloating messages so frequently it puts a sour taste in my mouth after every game. Yesterday I saw a Shaman run around laying numerous traps and spent the whole fight just trying to lure me into them. A conqueror catapulted me whilst I, with one bar of health left, fought his full health friend in a one on one when the rest of my team were broken and dead. A team of Raiders and Lawbringers spent an entire game of sky fort running my team off ledges. There seems to always be that one little maggot of a player on the enemy team who will not fight you one-on-one, and instead runs away when the opportunity arises, but is always there to deliver the killing blow when his buddies are around distracting you. It's infuriating. It seems to me like everyone just became obsessed with winning so much that they forgot to have fun, like little kids do with board games. The sportsmanship is gone. Lame tactics rule supreme. It's basically a "Can't beat them, join them" scenario.

Well, It's confused me every time I see this situation. People could sold their pride and family to win sometimes. And it all just for teabagging emote spam above your dead body. And I think all reports for bad behavior don't do much. Maybe some week ban.
Most funny moment, it's when someone fighting with you, loose you in fair fight, run away, return with couple teammates, kill you in the back and start spam emotes like he did something special.
I don't care about all this "honor, bring honor, game call forhonor", but I have pride and I play games to be courage, brave, so I play my way. I'll better die with my friend in 2v4 situation, than run away to two randomes sitting on another zone and waiting for something.

3. Some characters have lost their identity. Orochi doesn't feel like a counter-attacker any more. Conqueror is one of the best offensive classes in the game. Dunno wtf they did to PK but she feels like a watered down shaman. The game has become somewhat of an unbolckables and fast light attack fest which will only get worse if they continue reworking old classes in the same fashion. Not saying all the reworks are trash, but all I can see they've achieved so far is to accentuate the potential for a gank fest whilst simultaneously making the game less accessible to new players. I find "For Honor" difficult and frustrating enough with 18 months experience, I really can't begin to imagine how it feels for a brand new player, with or without the arena to practice in. The flawed matchmaking system makes this worse.
I honestly think Ubisoft's FH team should revert back to the original cast and start over with what they have learned, I felt like the game was closer to perfection back then even with my gimped Berserker and Warlord ruling the roost. I know it won't happen, but it seems to me we're now in a situation where there's too many classes, too much crazy sh!t flying about and everything has gotten a bit out of hand and turned into a mess.

I still hope to see cool rework for Warden, and still afraid, that Valky will become real toxiccreator char in 4v4 after her rework.

4. Parry. Still. None of the above apply so much to duels, but If I can be bothered to wait 5 minutes for a duel this is generally what happens. The whole 1v1 game, despite the changes, is still all built around this ridiculous mechanic. It's become essential to feint and rely on guaranteed damage to lay any kind of damage on your opponent if they have experience. It's all staring at each other while rapidly changing guard stance, circling around before throwing 1, 2 or 3, feints and landing a single hit if you're lucky. A turtle will kill you with purely guaranteed damage from parry, which still seems to be the best way to beat your opponent.
I liken it to Dragonball Z in my head, with two heroes darting about the sky throwing flurries of attacks at each other that don't land, with one of them eventually making contact and sending the other flying through the side of a mountain. It's totally ridiculous and I can't be the only one who thinks so. If it were up to me i'd take away all free damage from parry and make it so it just takes around 30% of the targets stamina off, making it a situational move useful for putting your enemy out of stamina if they're low or to impede the advance of overly aggressive players.

I suggest from time to time in different threads to remove parry at all, rework whole system. But I don't think devs could do it.

Alustar.
07-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Pls ten sad points :( I miss you Gorechild!

DFQN1
07-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Xcom 2 is a great :D

However. I totally agree with you on the parry mechanics. If a character with literally no offense (like Lawbringer, Shugoki, etc.) stand in front of you and you do nothing, they can not do anything. You simply wait for them to do a move so you can punish them. You litrally punish them for fighting instead of staring at each other.

What I would like to see is either:
-no free damage at all from parries (as you've already said)
-only a light after parries
-a character specific parry punish (like Centurion, Lawbringer, etc.) which is only guarenteed on a light parry and sometimes only guarenteed with a wallsplat

Haplo_Bane
07-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Been playing Xcom/Ufo games for decades. Best turn based strategic game ever.

The_B0G_
07-17-2018, 03:57 PM
I agree with basically everything written here, not ready to hang up my sword and shield just yet though.

I play Elite Dangerous, Conan, and just started defiance 2050, so I just switch the game off when I get a few toxic games in a row. I only play Dom and nearly every round is a gank fest, I wish they would switch the point gain system in Dom so that you had to be in the zone to get points.

As it is there is no downside to going deathballing, sure if you play them tight you can stay neck and neck all match by taking zones they aren't at, but you're still getting stomped all match.

Good luck with Xcom, try not to pull your hair out when you miss a few 90% hit chance shots in a row lol that game can be frustrating too.

PDXGorechild
07-17-2018, 04:00 PM
And most broken gamemode after all. Still see so many times, when my team have more objectives, more kills and less deathes, but still we loose cause of stupid point gain system.
I really hope devs will rework Dominion in season 7, cause after breach this game mode will be dead, I think. Even if Breach will be same disbalanced and broken, still it will be more intresting, than just running around the zones with no obviouse profit.

Well, It's confused me every time I see this situation. People could sold their pride and family to win sometimes. And it all just for teabagging emote spam above your dead body. And I think all reports for bad behavior don't do much. Maybe some week ban.
Most funny moment, it's when someone fighting with you, loose you in fair fight, run away, return with couple teammates, kill you in the back and start spam emotes like he did something special.
I don't care about all this "honor, bring honor, game call forhonor", but I have pride and I play games to be courage, brave, so I play my way. I'll better die with my friend in 2v4 situation, than run away to two randomes sitting on another zone and waiting for something.

I still hope to see cool rework for Warden, and still afraid, that Valky will become real toxiccreator char in 4v4 after her rework.

I suggest from time to time in different threads to remove parry at all, rework whole system. But I don't think devs could do it.

I dearly hope they've learnt from their mistakes with the current game modes and ensure that breach doesn't fall into the same traps.(pun) But who knows with Ubisoft? As far as Dominion goes I think they need to go back to the drawing board. The annoying part is I do enjoy Tribute, it just takes ages to get into a game and when I do - i'm often paired with bots and against the same team/players over and over. Very frustrating when you're against a team of trolls using lame tactics. Playing Tribute when it first came out with a premade was some of the best times i've had on For Honor, or any game for that matter.

Yeah the quality of players and their willingness to engage in respectable play seems to have gone down drastically of late. I don't mean "Honourable" play. I can live without that. I mean just not playing like a little b!tch.

I foresee the reworks causing more problems than they solve and and parry never being changed. The problem is some players seem to enjoy the way it is now. I think players like us who want rid of it or for the free damage to be taken away are a minority.

Pls ten sad points :( I miss you Gorechild!

I miss you too baby :'o(

Nice to see some Xcom appreciators here, I'm so bad at it! Strategy games don't come naturally to me as a twitch gamer, but after a lot of reading up online and practice i've got through most of it on the second from easiest difficulty!

SpaceJim12
07-17-2018, 04:27 PM
I dearly hope they've learnt from their mistakes with the current game modes and ensure that breach doesn't fall into the same traps.

I think everyone here hope for that.=)

I mean just not playing like a little b!tch.

Yeah! This is exactly what I mean.

Still, good luck in Xcom 2. I'm sure break is something we all need from time to time in For Honor.

Arekonator
07-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Good luck moving from one salt mine to another.
If you feel really masochistic,try out Long War mod.

Helnekromancer
07-18-2018, 02:45 AM
Yea I agree with all OP said, the game is just not that fun to play unless you are in a 4-man group. Once you get your 1-2 mains to lvl 50 there isn't much else to do in this game.
Wish they just balance the game for consoles, it's ridiculous how much light spamming reigns supreme.

I tried playing XCOM but I can't handle people dying, makes me restart everytime. But I got some JRPG's and MOBA's to keep me company until October. I'm hopping the dev team made the Pure Tank good. It sucks that the Shugoki is boring the Warlord got nerfed to **** and Conq fights like a assassin with a huge health bar.

Vakris_One
07-18-2018, 09:23 AM
Yea I agree with all OP said, the game is just not that fun to play unless you are in a 4-man group.
Or a Blue Man group.

http://i1.wp.com/rastaneko-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/nezumi23.jpg

EvoX.
07-18-2018, 10:09 AM

I agree with this the most. Character identity is completely out the window, all the ''reworks'' include either:

- 400ms attacks
- Difficult to avoid Unblockables

It's clear they have no idea how to make a character viable without either of those two.

The_B0G_
07-18-2018, 03:50 PM
I agree with this the most. Character identity is completely out the window, all the ''reworks'' include either:

- 400ms attacks
- Difficult to avoid Unblockables

It's clear they have no idea how to make a character viable without either of those two.

I do think every character needs an unblockable, just like every character needs to be able to CGB, the 400 ms lights need to go though, Orochi is just ridiculous, you get hit with 1 light, you usually get hit with 2 others right after unless you guess right.

Devils-_-legacy
07-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Yea I agree with all OP said, the game is just not that fun to play unless you are in a 4-man group..

I'm glad more people are saying this maybe we can get a solo que soon so groups won't be as much of a problem to solo players. I've got the majority of the roster to 180 idk what to even do now lol

paulwall_816
07-18-2018, 09:56 PM
I have to agree with you on this as well mainly the Domination mode it is always the highest active mode but full toxic players that have no skill that need to jump to win. That detail you said bout how you might actually get a 1v1 with someone then bout to beat them then they run like cowards to their buddies and then you get jumped and they act like they good yeah that is getting irritating. The crap part is that I been wanting to do other modes but I never get a match only get one with Dominion. The game play and mechanics and have failed a lot in this game to many glitches.

Archaelion
07-20-2018, 11:00 PM
They need to balance the heroes. Shugoki still not buffed.

Helnekromancer
07-20-2018, 11:21 PM
I'm glad more people are saying this maybe we can get a solo que soon so groups won't be as much of a problem to solo players. I've got the majority of the roster to 180 idk what to even do now lol

Yea first it's 180 gear on all Heroes then it Rep 50 on half of them, and then you are 300+ total rep, trying to figure what else there is to do.

DefiledDragon
07-21-2018, 03:05 AM
Yea first it's 180 gear on all Heroes then it Rep 50 on half of them, and then you are 300+ total rep, trying to figure what else there is to do.

Is it not fair to suggest that you've probably burned out on the game at this point? I mean, I play it now because the fighting is fun. Sure, getting gear and upgrading and speccing builds is nice and all, but it's the fighting that's the actual game. If I was ever sat there staring at the main menu and wondering why I'm sat staring at the main menu I would probably move on to something else tbh.

Devils-_-legacy
07-21-2018, 03:37 PM

I get burned out too quick when I realise after reaching rep 10 there nothing good to unlock for a hero I'm hoping they add better patterns and colours for end reps or I get bored too quick