PDA

View Full Version : Why Can`t I Hit Anything? 1600X1200

Turk_man
12-02-2004, 08:29 AM
I have noticed that if I run 1600X1200 my shooting skills decline considerably. If I run a lower resolution I hit my target alot more. I like the high resolution because the graphics are great but it just gets frustrating when I can`t hit my target. Is there anyway to change this so I hit my target the same even at higher resolutions or am I forever stuck flying at the lower graphics?

Turk_man
12-02-2004, 08:29 AM
I have noticed that if I run 1600X1200 my shooting skills decline considerably. If I run a lower resolution I hit my target alot more. I like the high resolution because the graphics are great but it just gets frustrating when I can`t hit my target. Is there anyway to change this so I hit my target the same even at higher resolutions or am I forever stuck flying at the lower graphics?

Cattail4
12-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Turkman, I have found that the best compromise between eye candy and being able to light someone up is.......800x600x32. Set your monitor to refresh as high as you can go(I use 100) This is probably NOT what you wanted to hear,but......I started out using 1024x768x32, but soon found that these ol eye had mucho trouble seeing those little dots way out there. Switched to 800x600 and after getting use to it much prefer it. Hope this helps.

S! Cat http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Nubarus
12-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Get a bigger monitor?

Udidtoo
12-02-2004, 08:46 AM
There is really only one way to improve your gunnery skills and that is simply to practice.

Set yourself up some QMB scenarios with several different plane types. When your flying aginst some of the less than nimble planes you can get loads of experiance on the easier tailing straight away from you type shots.
Against some of the better turners you will be using the more difficult deflection angles.
Attacking the big bombers will let you work on your high speed snap shooting and is just good practice for properly attacking those types in general.

Which ever ones you are up against, save some tracks. Then you can go back at your leisure and watch them in slow mo and zoomed in. Watch your tracers from both your view and enemy view and you should in short order have a good idea as to weather you are leading to far or not enough. Practice practice practice.

Turk_man
12-02-2004, 09:29 AM
I have a large monitor, 21" Trintron. My question is why do I have no problem lighting planes up at 800X600X32 etc but can`t barely even hit them at 1600X1200X32? That doesn`t make sense, I would think that the higher resolution would be easier but it is actually harder. I don`t like the fact that with a fast system and card I have to give-up quality just to be able to shoot down opponents.

Corsair9
12-02-2004, 09:40 AM
I (and several players I normally fly with) have also noticed the same thing.

There appears to be something screwed up in the game, however, I can't seem to characterize exactly what it is.

Running at 1600 x 1400/32, zero-deflection shots from several different ranges seem to yield no hits. When playing back the tracks, you can see the rounds going well over the top of the target aircraft, when on my screen I saw the tracers going directly into the target with no hits. This was at a range of about 100 to 200 meters where "drop" wasn't a problem.

Many shots in this game yield no hits at all when in say, WWIIOL it'd be a definite kill shot, no question about it.

Nubarus
12-02-2004, 10:07 AM
There is nothing screwed in the game, I play at 1600x1200 32bit as well and it makes no difference at all against lower resolutions.

I can still hit anything I want, where I want.

I have a IIyama 20.1" LCD Screen.

Turk_man
12-02-2004, 10:59 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gifI`m impressed with your skill but I didn`t ask because of a lack of skill on my part. This is something that a number of skilled flyers on servers like Warclouds etc. have noticed and were wondering if we were alone or if others had noticed a similiar problem. I guess I should be asking for lessons and realize the limits of my abilities.

Turk_man
12-02-2004, 11:00 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gifI`m impressed with your skill but I didn`t ask for because of a lack of skill on my part. This is something that a number of skilled flyers on servers like Warclouds etc. have noticed and were wondering if we were alone or if others had noticed a similiar problem. I guess I should be asking for lessons and realize the limits of my abilities.

Nubarus
12-02-2004, 03:07 PM
I never played WWIIOL but maybe they use a hit bubble system on their models.

IL2 has no hit bubble at all, you have to hit the model or else it's a miss.

From your explantion Corsair9, it seems you talk about online gameplay tracks.
It's common knowledge that online gaming is more prone to mishaps and weird things.

It's been a long time since I played online as a client since I have the fastest PC and fastest internet connection in our Squadron so I always host the games and thesefore experience no package loss or lag.

I also keep clear of the dogfight servers in HL since most are overrun by @$$hats and whiners so that precious little free time I have left to play this great game online I use to play mostly coops and the occasional closed DF games with my mates instead of investing time to seek out the better DF servers.

9th_Spitin
12-02-2004, 03:24 PM
Turk_man,

I have a high end vid card as well and it seems that 1024x786 is the best setting for visablity. I tried running 1280x960 and the planes are so darn small it is near impossible to hit anything, so back to the old 1024x786. I cant imagine going to 800x600.

S~

Korbelz
12-02-2004, 05:32 PM
I've played IL2 for years now, tired flying in WWIIOL aiming was a joking in that game.

BaldieJr
12-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Stop hose-piping and learn the gunsight.

I played 800x600 before getting my lcd. Now I play 1280x1024. I hit quite a bit more now, with much better lethality. It has nothing to do with resolution.... I got a new stick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DarkCanuck420
12-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Its like that with every game. I used to run fps games at 800*600 so i wouldn't lag, when i upgraded and turned up settings it took a while before i was as good as before. stick with the nice graphics if its smooth and stay with it dont switch back and forth cause there does seem to be a getting used to period.

P.S. I cant hit anything yet so it doesnt matter to me, i got everything jacked up to the max. in first person shooters though, beware.