PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey has a Lock on right?

LaMOi
07-16-2018, 01:17 PM
Iíve been reading a lot of hands on previews and what was noted was how clumsy the combat feels.

I wasnít a major fan of Origins combat, but with the Lock on mechanic it felt serviceable...

Without that, the combat was pretty awful.

I liked the combat in the old games, sure it wasnít the most challenging

cawatrooper9
07-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Pretty sure it has it.

Skip to about 3:30. :D

https://youtu.be/eSw6JeHge1Y

Frag_Maniac
07-16-2018, 09:28 PM
I was hoping it would still have lock on too, but more refined than that of Origins. Origins' lock on felt awkward because it forced a very tight camera angle on the enemy you were locked onto, and also somewhat restricted the freedom of your movement. This is why I had to constant engage and disengage it.

cawatrooper9
07-16-2018, 09:36 PM
I was hoping it would still have lock on too, but more refined than that of Origins. Origins' lock on felt awkward because it forced a very tight camera angle on the enemy you were locked onto, and also somewhat restricted the freedom of your movement. This is why I had to constant engage and disengage it.

Yeah, I hope it's a little easier to switch targets.

I usually only really used it when against a single target, like an arena boss, because I'd get pretty frustrated trying to choose who I was locked onto.

AnimusLover
07-17-2018, 12:26 AM

I had to do the same. It was fine in one-on-one situations, especially against thos big bosses but when fighting a group it was a nightmare. The camera was too tight which means often enemies would be off screen and it kept switching targets automatically which made no sense... If you took off lock-on Bayek would zip all over the place, swinging round with his back exposed even if you're clearly aiming him in the direction of the opponent...

That said, the fighting looks less messy in Odyssey so I suspect they've refined it.

I have a lot of faith in the Quebec team. I like how they double down on things and don't listen to every single minor complaint (e.g. hood toggle for Syndicate). They're good at taking other people's ideas and innovation and making it 10 times better. What they did with Syndicate doesn't get enough credit. They improved every element of Unity in just about every way.

Frag_Maniac
07-17-2018, 02:55 AM
Yet Syndicate here on the official forums had tons of complaints about the forced heavy blur effect when going fast in a chariot, which also resulted in crap frame rates on many rigs, and many requests for mouse wheel control walk speed, especially for facilitating better sneak timing in places. They totally ignored both.

In Origins I use lock on a fair amount, not so much in the open world, but a lot in the arena. In the open world I generally use 4 types of combat for the most part, 1. stealth kills from foliage, corners, air attacks, and ledges, 2. Overpower, Assassination, and Harass chain kills, 3. repeat Heavy Attack passes (charged sword) on horse using shield and sword, 4. distant stealth shots using a Predator bow.

In the arena I generally lock on and use Shield Charge. I minimize error of who's locked onto by luring enemies into a choke point, usually between the arena wall and a structure placed in the arena. Then when they're strung out I attack the first one coming. If another enemy tries to come at me while I'm finishing him off I dodge slide into a position to put the downed enemy between me and the other attacker.

When Overpower is charged up I use it and the chain throw on the 2 toughest enemies near me. I will also often use heavy attacks via standing ground with shield raised and sword charged. My least favorite arena weapon is the heavy blunt. It takes forever to charge, makes you dodge and run slower, and usually only one hit kills when it's charged. There are boss fights where charging your weapon is very effective, but some require a lot of dodging.

The Seleucid boss I can easily beat anymore just by staying near him.

AnimusLover
07-17-2018, 04:25 AM
Yet Syndicate here on the official forums had tons of complaints about the forced heavy blur effect when going fast in a chariot, which also resulted in crap frame rates on many rigs, and many requests for mouse wheel control walk speed, especially for facilitating better sneak timing in places. They totally ignored both.

None of those were an issue for me. In fact, I recall some of the patches and changes they released making the game worse, specifically the climbing, corner hugging and stuttering during carriage rides. in terms of how they improve upon old mechanics and ideas - look at the Dreadful Crimes and how they compare to murder mysteries in Unity. They are intelligently crafted requiring different forms of puzzle solving including maths, distance estimation etc The devs also tied it into real history while making it a side quest that ends in a great reveal. That's the sort of ambition Unity lacked. Syndicate did so many wonderful things like that but sadly it was in Unity's shadow, much like Oydssey. I believe Odyssey will be great, maybe not a true AC game but fun all the same.

In Origins I use lock on a fair amount, not so much in the open world, but a lot in the arena. In the open world I generally use 4 types of combat for the most part, 1. stealth kills from foliage, corners, air attacks, and ledges, 2. Overpower, Assassination, and Harass chain kills, 3. repeat Heavy Attack passes (charged sword) on horse using shield and sword, 4. distant stealth shots using a Predator bow.

In the arena I generally lock on and use Shield Charge. I minimize error of who's locked onto by luring enemies into a choke point, usually between the arena wall and a structure placed in the arena. Then when they're strung out I attack the first one coming. If another enemy tries to come at me while I'm finishing him off I dodge slide into a position to put the downed enemy between me and the other attacker.

When Overpower is charged up I use it and the chain throw on the 2 toughest enemies near me. I will also often use heavy attacks via standing ground with shield raised and sword charged. My least favorite arena weapon is the heavy blunt. It takes forever to charge, makes you dodge and run slower, and usually only one hit kills when it's charged. There are boss fights where charging your weapon is very effective, but some require a lot of dodging.

The Seleucid boss I can easily beat anymore just by staying near him.

You have a similar fighting style to me in the arena, accept I avoid lock-on unless it's with one enemy or a boss.

I beat the Seleucid boss in about 10 minutes on Nightmare with enemy scaling on and I plan to do the same on Elite. I still maintain he is very poorly designed in terms of difficulty seemingly allowed to make endless mistakes including being stunned before recovering instantly to attack the player. He was harder than the final boss which makes no sense...

The heavy blunt is the one weapon I never use out in the open world, it's useless for taking on groups and doesn't do as much damage on Nightmare - even with the melee upgrades - to justify using it all the time. My favoured weapons were any sword or the sickle sword that does bleed and poison damage (very overpowered even when not upgraded) but more recently I've been using the spear which is ridiculously OP... Its heavy attack is easier to execute without being hit than other weapons because of the distance, it breaks shield defense and the moment enemies move in close I hold down light attack for it to swing around 3 times simultnaeously taking down anyone in the vicinity which also stuns them so I can do it again. Oh, and the spear I have provides health-on-hit so even if enemies do get a lick in I just recharge... wish I used it ages ago.

I also love my range multiplier predator, my poison quick bow , my fire hunter bow and my health on hit warrior bow.
Sadly, a lot of these I acquired through Heka chests which I spent with in-game currency. :rolleyes:

quanzaizai
07-17-2018, 11:08 AM
I don't know why they don't use soft lock on or auto lock on like in the witcher or previous AC game. you don't need to switch enemy when the attack auto target.

quanzaizai
07-17-2018, 11:12 AM
The heavy blunt is the one weapon I never use out in the open world, it's useless for taking on groups and doesn't do as much damage on Nightmare - even with the melee upgrades - to justify using it all the time. My favoured weapons were any sword or the sickle sword that does bleed and poison damage (very overpowered even when not upgraded) but more recently I've been using the spear which is ridiculously OP... Its heavy attack is easier to execute without being hit than other weapons because of the distance, it breaks shield defense and the moment enemies move in close I hold down light attack for it to swing around 3 times simultnaeously taking down anyone in the vicinity which also stuns them so I can do it again. Oh, and the spear I have provides health-on-hit so even if enemies do get a lick in I just recharge... wish I used it ages ago.

I also love my range multiplier predator, my poison quick bow , my fire hunter bow and my health on hit warrior bow.:

try using heavy blunt to fight big bosses especially pharaoh from curse of pharaoh :) use heavy attack to parry and strike :) I defeat second and final boss by that tactic in night mare

Frag_Maniac
07-17-2018, 09:53 PM
None of those were an issue for me.I assume you mean with mouse vs gamepad, because with gamepad you could adjust walk speed AFAIK.

...more recently I've been using the spear which is ridiculously OP... Its heavy attack is easier to execute without being hit than other weapons because of the distance, it breaks shield defense and the moment enemies move in close I hold down light attack for it to swing around 3 times simultnaeously taking down anyone in the vicinity which also stuns them so I can do it again. Oh, and the spear I have provides health-on-hit so even if enemies do get a lick in I just recharge... wish I used it ages ago.
Yeah I'm going to have to be more careful on Nightmare, especially with enemy leveling. I'll probably give the spears another go. The thing is though, I've played both my Nornal run and this Hard run by just scavenging and not upgrading when it comes to weapons. I just keep switching out to the best regular sword, hunter bow, and shields I pick up. When I acquire decent predator and light bows I'll use them on Phylakes and Elephant battles. I really don't use tools much, except for fire bombs on occasion with Phylake level quest targets, like General Agrippa.

Here's my last go in the Cyrene Arena against the Elite Axes boss on Hard. It's my best result so far, but he almost killed me when I tried to finish him off quick after he went into his rage mode. This guy definitely takes a lot of dodging and timing to beat, and he can usually dodge Overpower attacks from the front, even when stunned from an attack, which I find very annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRoSPpwcCsg