PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 3 - AI/World Interaction

lil_morta_7
06-14-2011, 04:23 PM
There might be some other threads out there on this topic but I just thought I would make one as well. I have heard many people say that they're dumbing down the AI in FC3.

Well, first off, that's a good thing. At least in contrast to FC2 in which case enemies would turn around and light you up if you were behind a tree fifty feet away only at the sound of one silenced shot. Well they have definitely changed the AI but I wouldn't say they've dumbed it down. I think they're using a much more realistic, line-of-sight and audio based knowledge base. So if there's a guy by a waterfall and you shoot him with a silenced pistol, I doubt any other enemies will come flooding. You can also drag bodies, (A feature confirmed by Dan Hay himself. [Director of Far Cry 3])

So let's add that element to the scenario. If you didn't drag the dead body out of the way, and another enemy caught eyesight of his dead buddy, he would be alerted and start looking for you. Not automatically find you like he would in FC2. If you were still behind the waterfall I doubt he would find you at all. This is a very good AI system. It's realistically hard. Unlike FC2 which was unrealistically difficult.

I also mentioned audio. Dan hay also confirmed the use of audio detection in the AI system. So if you shoot a guy even with a silenced pistol when he's standing beside another enemy, the other will no doubt hear you. This will add a WHOLE new element to the gameplay.

So don't complain about the AI being dumbed down to "make the game easier." There are many new elements to the game that will in some cases make the game harder, in other easier, and make us, (Overall) have more of a sense of our surroundings. Now if you go all Rambo on your enemies in Far Cry 3, then I doubt any of this will come in handy. But one thing will: climbing.

In the original Far Cry games there was a climbing feature. If this feature makes a return in the new game. I know for a fact that it will come in handy for us sly players. Dan Hay mentioned several times in many interviews that the matter of height can give you the upper hand in many cases. Example: in the demo, he had the advantage of height against the enemy at the bottom on the hill. He used it to fly down unexpectedly on his prey and kill him without anyone knowing. Another example is in an alternate play-through of the demo where the player instead went right at the top of the hill to a small shack where he picked up a sniper rifle. (For all you frothing at the mouth to know what weapons are going to be included in FC3, it looked like some sort of a Dragunov or SVD. I think they're going with real modeled weapons not names like "Assault Rifle" and such.) Anyway, he picked that up and used his height advantage to blow the crap out of some barrels when no one saw it coming. He then took out several enemies, hopped on the zip-line that was right beside him and flew down to a big building where he took out his AK and let 'em have hell. Now I started this with climbing. All I was getting at is if we can climb again, we can get to high ground far more quickly than we could, IF we could in games like FC2. We could then use this to our advantage.

As you can see these few aspects of the new game will change the way we sneak our way around this new island. If they put these few things in, the game will shape up nicely. As for AI, I think they're doing a superb job so far. If they keep it the way they're going, it will turn out good I'm sure.

P.S I know these next few words have nothing to do with this thread, but I want to say: if they put in more massive canyons with rivers underneath and rickety bridges across like we saw in the previous tropical Far Cry games, I will take a plane all the way to Ubisoft Montreal to hug you guys. Just sayin'.

lil_morta_7
06-14-2011, 04:23 PM
There might be some other threads out there on this topic but I just thought I would make one as well. I have heard many people say that they're dumbing down the AI in FC3.

Well, first off, that's a good thing. At least in contrast to FC2 in which case enemies would turn around and light you up if you were behind a tree fifty feet away only at the sound of one silenced shot. Well they have definitely changed the AI but I wouldn't say they've dumbed it down. I think they're using a much more realistic, line-of-sight and audio based knowledge base. So if there's a guy by a waterfall and you shoot him with a silenced pistol, I doubt any other enemies will come flooding. You can also drag bodies, (A feature confirmed by Dan Hay himself. [Director of Far Cry 3])

So let's add that element to the scenario. If you didn't drag the dead body out of the way, and another enemy caught eyesight of his dead buddy, he would be alerted and start looking for you. Not automatically find you like he would in FC2. If you were still behind the waterfall I doubt he would find you at all. This is a very good AI system. It's realistically hard. Unlike FC2 which was unrealistically difficult.

I also mentioned audio. Dan hay also confirmed the use of audio detection in the AI system. So if you shoot a guy even with a silenced pistol when he's standing beside another enemy, the other will no doubt hear you. This will add a WHOLE new element to the gameplay.

So don't complain about the AI being dumbed down to "make the game easier." There are many new elements to the game that will in some cases make the game harder, in other easier, and make us, (Overall) have more of a sense of our surroundings. Now if you go all Rambo on your enemies in Far Cry 3, then I doubt any of this will come in handy. But one thing will: climbing.

In the original Far Cry games there was a climbing feature. If this feature makes a return in the new game. I know for a fact that it will come in handy for us sly players. Dan Hay mentioned several times in many interviews that the matter of height can give you the upper hand in many cases. Example: in the demo, he had the advantage of height against the enemy at the bottom on the hill. He used it to fly down unexpectedly on his prey and kill him without anyone knowing. Another example is in an alternate play-through of the demo where the player instead went right at the top of the hill to a small shack where he picked up a sniper rifle. (For all you frothing at the mouth to know what weapons are going to be included in FC3, it looked like some sort of a Dragunov or SVD. I think they're going with real modeled weapons not names like "Assault Rifle" and such.) Anyway, he picked that up and used his height advantage to blow the crap out of some barrels when no one saw it coming. He then took out several enemies, hopped on the zip-line that was right beside him and flew down to a big building where he took out his AK and let 'em have hell. Now I started this with climbing. All I was getting at is if we can climb again, we can get to high ground far more quickly than we could, IF we could in games like FC2. We could then use this to our advantage.

As you can see these few aspects of the new game will change the way we sneak our way around this new island. If they put these few things in, the game will shape up nicely. As for AI, I think they're doing a superb job so far. If they keep it the way they're going, it will turn out good I'm sure.

P.S I know these next few words have nothing to do with this thread, but I want to say: if they put in more massive canyons with rivers underneath and rickety bridges across like we saw in the previous tropical Far Cry games, I will take a plane all the way to Ubisoft Montreal to hug you guys. Just sayin'.