PDA

View Full Version : Too many objects in GroundIntensity=Low

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Hi,
I have a low end computer so I decided to modify my conf.ini to GroundIntensity=Low.
This setting is supposed to reduce ground objects that are not related to the missions in a campaign. However, when I start the missions in I can see in the minimap a ton of ground objects EVERYWHERE. I think those are killing my computer performance when I need it most.
I know I should upgrade, but money is low now.
Is there anything else I should modify to get rid of these non-mission related ground objects?
Cheers,

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Hi,
I have a low end computer so I decided to modify my conf.ini to GroundIntensity=Low.
This setting is supposed to reduce ground objects that are not related to the missions in a campaign. However, when I start the missions in I can see in the minimap a ton of ground objects EVERYWHERE. I think those are killing my computer performance when I need it most.
I know I should upgrade, but money is low now.
Is there anything else I should modify to get rid of these non-mission related ground objects?
Cheers,

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 07:31 PM
GroundIntensity=Low when placed in the conf file will only effect any campaign started after its placement. There is no way to alter existing campaigns via conf.ini. After deciding what limitations you want, alter the conf. and start a new campaign. I think you'll find that the changes you've made are present.

When FB was first released, I had to lower settings when using the Gulf of Finland map in campaigns due to my computer limitations. I know it will work for you too.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Thank you steve_v for your feedback.
But the thing I am reporting happens even when I start new campaigns AFTER saving the modified conf.ini (?)
The Gulf of Finland is out of my reach until I buy a new computer. I have only 512 MB of DDR Ram.
Cheers,

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 09:16 PM
hi,

i made some tests for a new campaign and i can say, that the ground objects are not such a big problem for the performance, as you might think.

If you have performance problems, then it's because of cities or forests, which are on the maps, not the objects.

As example:
An airfield with 100 ground objects on the open land make less problems than an airfield in Berlin.

Only the dummy- planes use some performance, but zoom view in direction of a big city kills your fps most.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 09:43 PM
In your "conf" file in FB folder, under grafix options, set...

TexQual=0

Its the first in the list beneath the Grafix options. This one item set to Zero will dominate all other settings for framerates for low end systems like yours. This is not a normal option (lowest in-game menu setting for TwxQual is 1). Take a look at the FMB map with TexQual=0 and you see why they don't advertise this setting. But it can double in-cockpit framerates for low end video systems.

Beware to change it under DirectX *or* OpenGL settings, both have their own settings.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 10:05 PM
PlusWave wrote:
- hi,
-
- i made some tests for a new campaign and i can say,
- that the ground objects are not such a big problem
- for the performance, as you might think.
-
- If you have performance problems, then it's because
- of cities or forests, which are on the maps, not the
- objects.
-
- As example:
- An airfield with 100 ground objects on the open land
- make less problems than an airfield in Berlin.
-
- Only the dummy- planes use some performance, but
- zoom view in direction of a big city kills your fps
- most.
-
-
Now that you mention this, my fps drops occurred during my attack to a port IN A CITY which was heavily defended. So, you are right.
Thank you for the tip.

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 10:12 PM
LEXX_Luthor wrote:
- In your "conf" file in FB folder, under grafix
- options, set...
-
-
-

Thank you for the tip Lex!
I suppose that this reduces the texture quality. I will try it when I get home.
BTW, I get around 40 fps in-cockpit in normal flight. Dogfighting with up to 10 planes reduces fps to 30-35. The drop in performance that bothers me happened for example during an attack to a port city (as I mention in the previous post).

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 10:20 PM
I would also recommend playing campaigns on certain maps, ones that play well for you. Try them out and see. I play alot of campaigns on Kursk map for example because it runs well. Cities are definitely a FPS killer, Leningrad is out of the question until I upgrade. Just an idea.

<center>
http://www.brooksart.com/Icewarriors.jpg

"Ice Warriors", by Nicolas Trudgian.

Message Edited on 10/07/0309:21PM by kyrule2

XyZspineZyX
10-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Certainly!
I officially pronounced the Gulf of Finland and Leningrad maps "forgotten" until I get a new computer.
My problems happened in the Kuban map.