PDA

View Full Version : Could MMR be hero based ?

We.the.North
07-14-2018, 01:05 AM
Hello,

After more than a week of DREADFUL matchmaking experience, here I am again on the forums with a suggestion.

Lately, I've been paired with and against people in grey gear rep < 0, obviously having no clue how to play a hero to its full potential. The problem ?? I reconize the name of the player I'm paired with and I know how their "main hero", they are very good.

But since they are playing heroes they are not used with, the game SUCKS.

So I propose a hero based MMR to improve the matchmaking experience.

Vakris_One
07-14-2018, 01:47 AM
I'm pretty sure people can go to the training arena to learn up on how to play a hero before they take them to PvP. That way they won't be useless with them. The idea of a hero based MMR is not entirely without merit but it can become ripe for abuse.

High rep players could train up on a hero but keep that hero at a low rep level and essentially start smurfing in the lower skill MMR pool. They will be able to abuse the system to hunt for newbies and score easy kills against newer players thereby frustrating those players out of enjoying the game. There are ways for players to get beter with different heroes via custom matches and the training arena if they choose to do so. For this reason I don't think there needs to be a hero based MMR especially because it would enable low rep hero smurfing.

Mia.Nora
07-14-2018, 07:51 AM
I'm pretty sure people can go to the training arena to learn up on how to play a hero before they take them to PvP. That way they won't be useless with them. The idea of a hero based MMR is not entirely without merit but it can become ripe for abuse.

High rep players could train up on a hero but keep that hero at a low rep level and essentially start smurfing in the lower skill MMR pool. They will be able to abuse the system to hunt for newbies and score easy kills against newer players thereby frustrating those players out of enjoying the game. There are ways for players to get beter with different heroes via custom matches and the training arena if they choose to do so. For this reason I don't think there needs to be a hero based MMR especially because it would enable low rep hero smurfing.

Actually it would allow smurfing for several limited time opportunities. The moment a good player jumps into a new hero and does better their MMR rating increases accordingly and in a few matches they are back into where they belong. And there are only some many times they can start a brand new hero.

Any disadvantage of MMR for hero would be outshine by all the positive implications which also leads to selecting hero before queueing (which would be better for the game in some many different ways including time wasted on lobbies)

We.the.North
07-14-2018, 03:13 PM
Any disadvantage of MMR for hero would be outshine by all the positive implications which also leads to selecting hero before queueing (which would be better for the game in some many different ways including time wasted on lobbies)

According to Uplay, I spent 45% of my time in lobby / converting gear into salvage / waiting to find opponents / etc.