PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play AC Games? What do you see in AC games from AC1 to now or AC's Future?

darklion2043
07-13-2018, 09:58 AM
We argue, discuss, criticize and also sometimes wrangle with us. I understand that we look different windows to AC. And I'm only curious this thread's questions. For fans, corefans, players and new members. May be with these answers we understand each other better.

1. I play AC games because it catched me. I love sword, history, science fiction and open world games with solving little problems or puzzles. Interesting with historical places. Ambience and beautiful environment. But mostly AC1s Animus idea that our ancestors memories are in our DNA and we decode it a machine, catched me.

2. I want to see The End of Juno's Story. Hope not long to see it.;)

Thanks for now and have a good day.

Kiroku
07-13-2018, 10:22 AM
I have to join your opinion saying that I love the histories past connected to a modern day sci-fi construct. And I also love martial arts movies with assassins and ninjas. When AC1 was first announced I was like my dream as a kid came true and got addicted to the franchise. It was something completely new and a great way to tell stories back then. I always thought there is something deeper behind all of this and wanted to solve the mystery.

By the time the franchise went away further and further from the core of what AC stands for and I really hope that some day it will be great again but with origins and odyssey I fear that the ASSASSIN part will get more into the background of it. They have to make the core gameplay as an assassins in future games to hold me as a fan since AC1 which was an awesome journey. Quality stealth gameplay good story telling and of course good story telling with playable modern day. I dont even care if its open world with decision making or not. Just bring it back.

quanzaizai
07-13-2018, 11:08 AM
I was looking for game to play in 2014 when warframe was the only game I have. I want a game that I can walk around and the character look cool with the hood be cause I love hood. AC black flag came up to my mind. The game is good but when the present day come up I was amazed how this franchise connected together. Then I watch youtube and saw the epic scene from ezio with aitair in the tomb. Well after that I try to play all the titles and fell in love with AC. I replay AC4 and try to stay calm, enjoy story, the beautiful environment, walk around and see the ttue beauty of the game because at that time, open world game was new for me and most of the time I just rush through the mission like other game. Then all the title after 4 I also did that because the graphic is way better since then.

ninja4hire10
07-13-2018, 01:28 PM
My favorite type of fiction story-wise is those that blur the lines between reality and fiction. AC does that perfectly, at least at the beginning. Beyond that, the biggest appeal is the historical tourism aspect offered that no other gaming franchise can touch. And as far as these two games, Origins and Odyssey, I see them as Ubi hitting the refresh button; we'll be back to core elements of the original AC before too long.

Kiroku
07-13-2018, 01:31 PM
And as far as these two games, Origins and Odyssey, I see them as Ubi hitting the refresh button; we'll be back to core elements of the original AC before too long.

What do you mean by that? You think they will go back and focus more on assassins gameplay?

cawatrooper9
07-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Interesting thread!

1) I'd say I play AC games because even though there have been some misses for me, in general I enjoy them. They're all a little different from each other, but for the most part I've had a really good time.

Slightly different answer, but as to why I'm interested in the series, it's because of the nearly limitless potential of setting an interconnected story across any period in history.

2) I just spoke on the "interconnected story across any point in history". While the latter half of that sentence is still obviously true, I do think the series could stand to strive to be a bit more cohesive of an experience. Using the end of ACR as a high water mark, and some of the interplay in the Kenway saga, I'd like to try to walk that line between connections and fanservice just a little more closely.

[B][U]

2. I want to see The End of Juno's Story. Hope not long to see it.;)

Hmmm... here's to hoping, but I wouldn't hold your breath. As far as I know, other media wrapped up the story, and we're probably not going to see much of Juno in games anymore.

darklion2043
07-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Hmmm... here's to hoping, but I wouldn't hold your breath. As far as I know, other media wrapped up the story, and we're probably not going to see much of Juno in games anymore.
Hope that is a speculation:(. Because we saw her many AC games and especially at the end of Syndicate She got The Shroud of Eden. With Ankh theory ,my wish, She'll reborn and a final fight will begin. And we'll see Desmond as Adam and Layla as Eve fighting against Juno at present days. At least I write my fiction.
Thanks for information cawatrooper9.

Kiroku
07-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Interesting threat!

1) I'd say I play AC games because even though there have been some misses for me, in general I enjoy them. They're all a little different from each other, but for the most part I've had a really good time.

Slightly different answer, but as to why I'm interested in the series, it's because of the nearly limitless potential of setting an interconnected story across any period in history.

2) I just spoke on the "interconnected story across any point in history". While the latter half of that sentence is still obviously true, I do think the series could stand to strive to be a bit more cohesive of an experience. Using the end of ACR as a high water mark, and some of the interplay in the Kenway saga, I'd like to try to walk that line between connections and fanservice just a little more closely.

To your first point: If the interconnected story would be as good as the story from the first games I wouldnt complain so much. But when thinking back about unity to origins now.. where is the story ?

And to your second point: Yes I agree.

Its a shame that the whole Juno story arc ended in a comic novel after making cliffhanger endings in the games.

And I guess some people from the mentors guild if not all of them know more about where ac games are heading than the normal fans. (No offense here)

ProdiGurl
07-13-2018, 07:37 PM
Why do you play AC Games? What do you see in AC games from AC1 to now or AC's Future?I first bought AC Brotherhood after it had been out a few months just to see what it was all about. Outside of nearly throwing my controller through the TV a few times with all the failed Timed events & Parkour disasters, I fell in Love with Rome & Ezio on a pretty deep level, so hurried & bought ACII to get the backstory & continued ever since. Coming in during his Trilogy & never playing AC1, I assumed Ezio was a permanent protagonist to the series and had a hard time adjusting to the game without him after Revelations for a few releases afterward.

In general, I Love the theme of Assassin games & stealth. But AC has gone into alot more depth to bring in history and allows us to visit past civilizations that brings them to life in a very unique way. Learning about different cultures & historic characters is more interesting this way. I enjoy that AC isn't like another Hitman in current day.

As far as what I see from the span of then to now - basically a company always seeking gamers opinions & suggestions in striving to keep the Title fresh by implementing new things & systems of gameplay. In that scope, I see a game that constantly morphs to adapt to fan input & modern gaming trends. There's hits and misses along the way, but that happens in nearly all series.

For future, it's impossible for me to guess but since the game to me is more about playing the Assassin and the immediate story, and alot of the current players don't know about the other aspects of early games, I'm fine if they focus less on all the early 1 Civ, modern day even though I did enjoy those things in ACII when they added puzzles & mystery to it.
I believe if they're going to continue with that early game content, then don't 1/2 @** it, do it well, extensively and put time into it to build a deeper story, add some mystery & make it worth following to keep our interest.
It shouldn't feel like you're breaking immersion of the game to have to trudge through side content of Modern Day, etc.so you can hurry up and get back to the game. I didn't feel that way very much in ACII because it was done well and kept my interest.

I'm very open to where Ubi wants to take AC - as long as they focus heavily on a deeper story, an interesting, captivating Protagonist we can bond with and good gameplay (focusing on a quality combat system, soundtrack, gorgeous graphics, proper leveling, random events, variety of choices/customizations & weapons), I'll be very happy with future AC releases =)

SixKeys
07-14-2018, 02:31 AM
1) When I started playing AC1, I was hooked right from the start when Desmond woke up in a lab and I found out that the game I had thought was "just" a historical adventure also had a modern day layer with mysteries. I play for the interconnectedness of modern day and history, this continuous story where the things we do in the past have great influence on the present.

2) Another big reason is the atmosphere which I think is unparalleled in this series. I don't rush everywhere; I walk, I stop frequently to take in the sights and drink in all the little details. It's less about going through a checklist like most games are and more about the overall experience.

UBOSOFT-Gamer
07-16-2018, 09:03 AM
Hi,

this directly to the developers. Maybe some readed it and may get inspirations.

I just readed Origins got an educational tour mode, the discovery tour. I hope Odysee got such a mode aswell. Since i ever started playing AC i LOVE the hstory and the historical settings, landscapes and background. I looked around the sixtinian chappel in AC dozend times. Still aswome! Can get enough of it!

I havent bought Origins yet, but i will now, for the gameplay, fun and story etc, but mainly because of the discovery mode. It is a great tool to explore ancinet times virtually. Modern edcuation. WOW!

And that brought me some ideas you, the developer get your attention.

Unique would be Hannibal and crossing the alpes with 36 elephants.

Bayblon and Mesopotamia. But i fear it would look much like Origins and Odysee. Nevethelss the Ishtar gate is beautyfull.

I hope you wont do Ancient Rome and Italy, as it was used already a little and the land itself. But roman germany has some nice places. Roman Cities like Trier or Cologne or Xanten. Ancient buildings in not medeterian landscapes., like Italy or Greece. The Limes is a wordl heritage. And the Saalburg, a rebuiled roman fortress, is the only one ifully rebuiled in the world, north of Frankfurt am Main. Almost authentic. Almost. Plus Frankfurt am Main or Cologne are well known cities. Here is Saalburg virtuell with historica correct crenelates. A private project of a german.

http://www.saalburg3d.de/

Because of the harsh climatitic situations in the winter, auxillry troops from hungary did services there.

I hope you wont do Varusbattle as shown as in the beginning of the movie Gladiator. That was a joke.

The roman army won a battle against ancient germans in whats today central germany, in the Harz Montains around the year 235 after christ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_at_the_Harzhorn

Best source of ancient Germany is the controversical Germania, written by roman historican Tacitus.

You could do a gamne with a female character only like this one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudica

England was done already, but only London in an AC Game! Maybe amnother hint for an upcoming setting? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindolanda_tablets

But i hope you will one day a game with the main setting set in Germany. Not ww2 of course but before, like thirty years war. Germany has some great landscape. Externsteine or the Saxonian Switzerland.

You could do something with Charlemange.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Palace,_Ingelheim
A virtuall view inside Imperial Palace Ingelheim
http://www.kaiserpfalz-ingelheim.de/bildergalerie/kaiserpfalz-ingelheim-aula-regia-digitale-rekonstruktion-apsis-figuerlich.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/Digitale_Rekonstruktion_-_Geometrische_Ausmalung%2C_Innenansicht.jpg
https://www.doatrip.de/images/pictures/deutschland/ingelheimamrhein_kaiserpfalzingelheim/004.jpg

A virtuell visit of the Cathedral in Aachen. Awsome!
https://www.aachenerdom.de/dom-erlebnis/virtueller-3d-rundflug/

UBOSOFT-Gamer
07-16-2018, 10:33 AM
I couldnt edit my post, so here a repl an idea i forgot to mention.

What about Leif Erikson? Iceland, Greenlad, New Foundland, Whales, icebears, icemountains. Vulcans on Island.

I dont think we see Caesar again, but if UBISOFT decides to so, Caesar troops coseed the Rhine River. Remarkbale is a fast builded brdige among the Rhine River by Caesars peoneers. A recently new found Fortres of Casear troops was found east of the Rhine River close to the city of Limburg an der Lahn. Oh and the romans builed a civil city east of the Rhine River. The city of Waldgirmes, but it was abdoned after the roman loss in the Teutoburg Frorests https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldgirmes_Forum

By the way, the Hadrianwall in United Kingsom was more a miliary border, while the Limes in Germany was more douane border and a demonstration of roman power agains the ancient germans. It got hundres of Watchtowers. Like those reconstructed shown 2

Dasbach https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limeswachturm_Wp_3/26#/media/File:Limeswachturm_Dasbacher_H%C3%B6he_Idstein.jpg

Orlen https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlen_(Taunusstein)#/media/File:Taunusstein_-_Limes_Wachturm2.jpg

By the way the roman fortress Kleiner Feldberg (Small Fiedmountain) in the Taunus mountains makes it the hightest placing roman frotress of the 500 km long limes. More than 700 meters above sealevel
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kastell_Kleiner_Feldberg

The celltc tribes werent only presen in Great Britain or France, but also in lage Parts across Germany and even in Turkey. Large oppdiums. Glauberg or Orberursel, etc.

Maybe you could something with the legend of Sigurd https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd

A side note
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_body

You could a virtual tour of Trier - Then and now comparission. Same with Cologne, Koblenz and Mayance. Or onky one of the cities. Just an Idea.

A great open air museum of german building from different german times and regions of germany you can found at the Hessenpark, norht of Frankfurt. Check all infos out, google it. give it a try ;) Thanks :)

dxsxhxcx
07-16-2018, 12:37 PM
1) When I started playing AC1, I was hooked right from the start when Desmond woke up in a lab and I found out that the game I had thought was "just" a historical adventure also had a modern day layer with mysteries. I play for the interconnectedness of modern day and history, this continuous story where the things we do in the past have great influence on the present.

This, the mix between sci-fi and history, past and present is what I used to like in this franchise, too bad the MD took a backseat and lost all its relevance, making its historical counterpart much less interesting in my eyes. Now more than 10 years and god knows how many games later I also enjoy how the first games (AC1 and AC2) were (narrative-wise) somewhat simpler than its successors, with the right dose of sci-fi elements to make its premise and universe believable enough, now they've lost track of everything, the story lacks direction and the lore is a complete mess and I don't have much hope for the future.

ProdiGurl
07-16-2018, 01:01 PM
What I keep wondering as far as Modern Day, is exactly what they could do story line wise, to spice it up? It basically seems the same where they do some leaping around & then someone shows up as a threat on location. The cutting in & out of the animus pretty much just feel like an immersion breaking chore to finish so I can get back to my character. If it isn't amped up & made more relevant/interesting, why leave MD in there at all?
What would make it more interesting and deeper or should they just scrap it or scale it back even more?

karoomii
07-16-2018, 02:06 PM
What I keep wondering as far as Modern Day, is exactly what they could do story line wise, to spice it up? It basically seems the same where they do some leaping around & then someone shows up as a threat on location. The cutting in & out of the animus pretty much just feel like an immersion breaking chore to finish so I can get back to my character. If it isn't amped up & made more relevant/interesting, why leave MD in there at all?
What would make it more interesting and deeper or should they just scrap it or scale it back even more?

I can see where you're coming from. However, for me, from AC1 - AC:Brotherhood, whenever they pulled us out to the modern day I was fine with it. The modern day and historical storylines had a good balance and the modern day was still interesting. It was fun to see where the story would lead to next and I could tell that it had a lot of potential—especially after we got to see a bit of Adam and Eve in AC2.

I believe it was once ACR came out that I didn't wanna be pulled out of Ezio's memories much. I just wasn't interested in the modern day. The game in general was very lack luster for me so nothing mattered unfortunately. In AC3, I did enjoy the modern day a bit but for some reason I still didn't always wanna be pulled out of Connor's memories. I had just a sliver of hope left when AC4 came out because of Juno, but even then, I knew the modern day was gonna take an official backseat and that it was over.

For me, AC1 had the best modern day/historical storyline mashup.

cawatrooper9
07-16-2018, 02:34 PM
This, the mix between sci-fi and history, past and present is what I used to like in this franchise, too bad the MD took a backseat and lost all its relevance, making its historical counterpart much less interesting in my eyes. Now more than 10 years and god knows how many games later I also enjoy how the first games (AC1 and AC2) were (narrative-wise) somewhat simpler than its successors, with the right dose of sci-fi elements to make its premise and universe believable enough, now they've lost track of everything, the story lacks direction and the lore is a complete mess and I don't have much hope for the future.

I remember I got the game as a Christmas present from my grandparents. On the way home, I was reading the game's manual (by the way, AC1 has to be the only game in the series that came with a manual for consoles, right?) and saw that it included all this sci-fi talk about an "animus" and stuff. I was really confused and intrigued, since I thought it was just a game about the Crusades. So really, the MD plots hooked me before I even popped the game in.

Vogue77
07-18-2018, 06:22 AM
1) To be honest I played first AC which I loved, was something new and appealing at that time for me, but I skipped rest of the series up to AC Black Flag (which I totally loved due to naval combat) and then Syndicate which I also liked a lot (having a female protagonist was a huge bonus for me). Skipped Origins as well, and instantly pre-ordered Odyssey (again, female protagonist, awesome setting both historical and landscape, naval combat, DS like combat on land etc, more RPG elements).

2) I would really love to see them continue with the direction AOD is headed and improve on that, seriously dropping smoke bombs and instantly killing everyone stops being fun really fast, assassination targets were no challenge since all you have to do was press a button and the game took care of everything. Now you actually have to fight, and thanks to enemies adapting their tactics to yours, it will always be challenging and fun.

UBOSOFT-Gamer
07-21-2018, 07:10 PM
i may repeat, but it may makes some good settings. Especially some inspirations for developers. It is more for something like AC Discovery tours. If a developer really read this, you should check out for not only english wikipedia links, but aswell in differnt languages generally, such as german ;-)

Would be cool, to showthe roman empire in 117 a c and pointing out the Limes and Hadrians Wall from earht orbit and then zoom to Saalburg Fortress the only onre completey rebuilded fortress in the world and Vindolanda. Most famous for its roman papers.. Explaning life of the romand border troops. Like already mentioned by me in another thread. Limes more than 500 kilometers long across modern Germany. About 900 watchtowers, like a rebuiled one in Idstein-Dasbach or Hünfelden-Orlen, with a fast warning system by turn up a firestick from tower to tower untill it arrives close to a roman fortress. I think it is much easier to design, then a whole roman city.

Cäsars Rhinecrossing is a military masterpice. Even for todays standards. Very fast constructed ponton bridge. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar%27s_Rhine_bridges His troops marched then about 50 km to east and biwaked at the city of Limburg an der Lahn Infos only in german available https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B6merlager_Limburg

Btw the Rhine river was a dangerous river, middle in Europe. It was made less dangerous for the rivers in the 19th century with dynamite.

As Cäsar declared all inhabitants left of the Rhine as Celtcs or Gauls and all inhabtines right of the Rhine as Germans. General info about the term free Germania https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germania

Some roman fortress in the so called area of free Germania. A newly discovered roman fortress in Western Thuringa. Here a german list.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/German...it%C3%A4rlager (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germania_magna#Milit%C3%A4rlager)

Remeber the roman victory at central germany in the Harz mountains in 235. Dont mixed it up the famous Varus-battle in northwestgermany in the year 9.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...utoburg_Forest (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest)

I would love to see the eruption of the Vesuv in 79 and the Annihaliation of the city Pompej. A great achiemebt are the roman roads. Would liek to have a virtuell explanation and iinsight how the streets goat constructed Some are still in use. Imagine that after 2000 years! Or some roman words, saysings are still in use in mordern english/german language.

I enojey this book https://www.amazon.de/Reach-Rome-Jou.../dp/0847841286 (https://www.amazon.de/Reach-Rome-Journey-Through-Following/dp/0847841286)

But Babylon would be nice too. I would love to go through the Ishtar Gate, which you can see reconstructed. But it was some meters more higher, but the german had not a proper hall, so they decided to reduce some meters. the blockstones are stored in the museum archive in Berlin.

Btw this is a fun fact. From Babylon, as the source i got it claims. Making love, while drinking beer ;-)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1d/50...798d8ec37e.jpg (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1d/50/39/1d50399ecf4a27311510ac798d8ec37e.jpg)

The celts were also present in germany. For example Glauberg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glauberg

A female protagonist. Seldom in ancient times. In Great Britan
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1d/50...798d8ec37e.jpg (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1d/50/39/1d50399ecf4a27311510ac798d8ec37e.jpg)

Mabye the delevoprs could use some stories of the Nibelung and Sigurd, like the famous dragon slayer. Would be aswome to kill the dragon in a boss fight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelung
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nibelung)
Or legends about Theoderic the Great (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theoderic_the_Great)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legends_about_Theoderic_the_Great

But i wouldnt go beyond this, as it would be too much like Lord of the rings with its dwarfs, tolls, etc. as Tolkien was primarly influcend by North germanic mythology..

A funfact could be telling most of the daynames come from germanic gods. The 7days a week seems to be invented in Bayblon Empire. The monthsnames are roman origin.

Some Generals facts about Viking Raids in the Rhineland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking..._the_Rhineland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_raids_in_the_Rhineland)

A general map of Viking campagains. They even raided Baku at the caspain sea in 912 !
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Z%C3%BCge%2C_Landnahmen_und_Siedlungsgebiete_der_N ordm%C3%A4nner_-_800-1050.png

I would love to see NORTHERN LIGHTS !! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora#Historical_theories,_superstition_and_mytho logy

Germany has some nice landscapes. Not only the Black Forest or the Bavarian Forest or the Taunus Moiuntains or the Harz Mountains.

A great looking landscape is the Saxon Switzerland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxon_Switzerland

The Lüneburg Heath
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCneburg_Heath

Altschlossfelsen
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altschlossfelsen

Externsteine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externsteine

The Eifel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eifel with its vulcans https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_Eifel

I would like to see the czech capital of Prague or the austrian capital of Vienna <3

I would like to see some german cities before the downfall during the last world war. Such as Hamburg, Colone, Frankfurt or Nuremberg.
There are tons of pictures available for these 4 cities alone to construct in virtuell, but i guess that would take too much time

just some examples

Cologne
http://www.bilderbuch-koeln.de/Historisch/1920-1945

Frankfurt with some original color photos
http://www.altfrankfurt.com/

From the air in balck and white of different german towns.
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/hi...106871-16.html (http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/historische-luftbilder-juwelen-vor-dem-feuersturm-fotostrecke-106871-16.html)

joelsantos24
07-22-2018, 12:09 AM
I play (or used to play) AC because of the fascination for these two mysterious Orders and their utter opposition and dichotomy of respective principles and values. What captivated me the most, was the ("larger than life") significance of a seemingly endless conflict between two currents of opinion, that apparently date back to the genesis of humanity itself, and is passed or inherited throughout the ages/generations.

As far as the (present and) future of the series, I think it no longer reflects the concepts and notions that were it's foundations. The value and merit of the narrative are doomed to be irreparably diluted in an experience that aims at highlighting quantity instead of quality or meaning. So, the future will be larger maps, longer and longer times exploring those maps, more insipid tasks, more time spent collecting resources for crafting, more time spent searching for artefacts or treasures, etc, etc, etc. The problem with this approach, is that "more" isn't necessarily "better".

WendysBrioche
07-22-2018, 01:50 AM
I'll separate my post into two sections that I think make the most sense for me to do as; What initially drew me into Assassin's Creed games versus why I continue to play them and love them to this day, and probably always will.

I've been here since the first game in 07 ish. What initially drew me to the franchise is actually a funny weird story. The culture at the time was when films like The Da Vinci Code and National Treasure were coming out and becoming popular films and drawing a lot of popular attention to fraternal "sort of" secret societies that hadn't had as much publicity as before.

1) What initially drew me in
I went to a weird charter school high school from 05 to 08 were as it turns out some of the faculty were freemasons members. They taught weird stuff in their classes like the Allegory of the Cave and I just found it a bit odd and looked at this stuff for the first time like what is this?

Then I heard the word freemason for the first time and something clicked, I asked my friend and one of the teachers who were talking to eachother about this, "what's a freemason?", got returned with silence, asked again cause I just wouldn't let up and the teacher told me it was a conspiracy theory of secret society people who some people think rule the world. I never found out for sure, but I think he was a mason, told me what masons were which members aren't supposed to do because of their oaths, I left the room frightened and confused and the teacher was crying after literally that 2 second conversation. And my friend knew something about masons as well but never told me but that story is irrelevant. But the weirdness of all this lead me down a strange sidetracking path in life that eventually intersected with my fanboyism for Assassin's Creed games.

So turns out that Freemason oaths have less to do with secret plans to rule and oppress society but more to do with the bonding of the fraternal order between members, and if you betray any secrets, it's like you betray yourself and destroy your integrity as a person and for everything you care about. I didn't find out about this until nearly ten years later.

Coming off of highschool I was terrified of the prospect of a freemason secret society that secretly pulled the strings with the impression that these were bad people. I had yet to learn that Freemasons were more like Boyscouts Part 2 but more for Adults with maybe employment benefits.

Enter Assassin's Creed I, a game taking place in the Holy Lands during the Crusades, the story of which centered around the concept that the Knights Templar were in fact an era transcending order that secretly aims to enslave humanity, and the fictional interpretation of the Hashashin, who have worked throughout history to foil the Templar's evil plots. Coupled with the fact that apparently some of the Freemason's rituals come from the historical Knights Templar, the ingredients were there for this to be a series that enamoured me and sometimes freaked me out. In the way a film like those Paranormal Activity movies freak you out. :rolleyes:

Then sh** got freakin weird.

But that's enough of that weird little tangent, those were the initial reasons I was drawn into the games, but all that weird stuff eventually dissolved and got resolved with time as I realized all the conspiracy stuff wasn't really true. The best thing that ever happened to me was when I became aetheist after reading the entire Bible in a single night and decided I didn't believe what was written taking all things into account. After I no longer believed in Satan, I no longer had reason to fear Satan worshipping minions ruling the world because it had all become fiction to me. That said, I still believe in the possibility of a God out there, but what's written in religious texts I personally find can't be true. These are my personal beliefs, but I still respect anyone who still believes in religion and that is 100% up to them, I don't interfere with other people's beliefs, only my own.

But my entire appreciation for the story of AC was driven by this good guy/bad guy conflict, which is why in later games where they introduced the Precursor Race my interest would begin to wane and where any criticisms of the plot or acting would stem from.

Enter AC III where they made George Washington, a real Freemason, NOT a Templar, that's where I started to treat the story in the games less seriously and the plot of the games, in my mind dropped from this sprawling HUGE conflict to something of a narrative that children would appreciate. At the time, the ideal AC III for me would have had both the leading figures of Britain and the Revolutionaries enter the plot as Templars, but they kept those characters as heroes or people ignorant of the Templar/Assassin conflict, so the story just didn't have drive for me anymore. But that's a total personal reason and I realize that perspective is not mutual across all people. A lot of people adore AC III and is the favorite game out of the franchise for some to be sure! That's only why it worked out that way for me, personally.

Back to games

Before AC I was a fan of games like The Elder Scrolls Oblivion, which at the time was my favorite series and game, and series like Star Wars Kotor. AC 1 came out and to me, it was everything Oblivion wasn't that I wished Oblivion had.

Number 1, you could climb, scale, and run across nearly every surface, everything in the game world had some way of interacting across it wheres Oblivion and Beth games to this day still don't have an upwards climbing animation.

Number 2, the combat was what I always wanted out of Elder Scrolls games. Rather than just primitive, 10 animation hack and slash, there was a combat SYSTEM built on proper footwork and spacing between the player character and enemy ai, complete with a satisfying set of kill and parry animations that were the most badass choreographed sword combat I had ever seen in video games OR movies to that date.

Number 3, it was the first game in my opinion that truly groundbreakingly raised the bar and transformed video games from what they were before into something of an interactive, open world movie, that allowed you to tailor fight scenes, missions, and just how everything happened to your own liking, Like a custom movie and I really appreciated that. Some features that were immediately cut in the sequels like when you would walk up to a huge crowd surrounding a Templar that was killing an innocent victim, and they allowed you to walk around through the watching crowd witnessing whatever was happening, I truly appreciated that. Cutscenes that allowed you to move and interact while they were happening.

2) Why I continue to play them and probably always will.
I've just realized I've written far more than I wanted to so I'll keep this section brief, though not to remove any less emphasis on my appreciation for AC.

So out of that whole weird conspiracy theory phase where I ended up reading up on history in sheer terror, as the fear subsided with my suspicions being debunked, I simultaneously developed a passion for reading history. What eventually came out of this was an appreciation for Philology, (I'm a huge Chaucer nerd), which is the study of Language families and how world languages are related to eachother if you go back far enough to mutual ancestral languages. It also developed for me a huge appreciation for architecture, historical art, and music.

And what Assassin's Creed games have continued to offer is a full complete, and fully fleshed out virtual worlds that offer a fictional, representation of all these things I mentioned I like that are grounded in history, only ever exaggerated when it helps to invoke a greater sense of awe in the worlds Ubisoft creates.

So that's why whenever this question comes up on the forums I always emphasize that I like the history and the beauty of Ubisoft's worlds.

In terms of the future of AC titles, I just hope Ubi keeps doing what they do. Over time the series changes and they try new things, I'm open to those experiments to see if they work, and if the response from everyone is positive I hope they keep the changes if they help to further embellish the series.

For example, for AC Origins and Odyssey and beyond, I was initially skeptical of the new combat system, but only cause I was such a hardcore fan of the old ones.

After playing Origins for a good 60 hours, and many fights, I find the combat is responsive enough for me with all the bells and whistles of the old systems, only driven by a new vehicle. If I'm going to be nitpicky the only thing I would change about the combat they're doing at this point is to change the way the camera pans during combat so you can view the fight from any angle rather than from a fixed position behind the character, cause I liked choreographing my fights from weird angles in the older games but that's pretty much it.

2) Another big reason is the atmosphere which I think is unparalleled in this series. I don't rush everywhere; I walk, I stop frequently to take in the sights and drink in all the little details. It's less about going through a checklist like most games are and more about the overall experience.

I do that too. I've spent 8 hours just walking slowly and stumbling through the Great Sand Sea alone in Assassin's Creed Origins. Still hasn't gotten old, I love walking slowly throughout the game and treating it like a contiguous film where all events are purely successive to the last and no event is deleted.

darklion2043
07-22-2018, 08:09 AM
Many thanks for all your sincere answers.
Still I'm whining about some differences at AC series in other threads because of my perspective. But say that again I'll play AC games whatever they do.
Thanks again and again. Have a good day.

UBOSOFT-Gamer
07-22-2018, 02:00 PM
If the developers ever make a discovery tour about the roman empire or a certain time period of the Immperium Romanunm, you shouldnt miss the roman army.

A key point of roman sucess was the discipline. One big reason why the romans lost at Teutoburg Forest was, they couldnt builded up their combat formations in the woods, instead of an open field.

It wanst really a battle, it was more a huge masscare.

A fun fact to tell:
Every legion had a baggage train of 500–550 mules, or about 1 mule for every 10 legionaries. To keep these baggage trains from becoming too large, Marius had each man carry as much of his own equipment as he could, including his own armor, weapons and 15 days' rations or about 50–60 pounds (22.5–27 kg) of load total. To make this easier, he issued each legionary a forked stick to carry his load on his shoulders. The soldiers were nicknamed Marius' Mules (muli mariani in Latin) due to the amount of gear they had to carry themselves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_reforms

General time of service was 25 years and after that service time, each soldier got a retirement farm.

The average marching distance of a roman legionary was 20 kilomters a day. Not much in my opinion for men who were trained to fight and march and did not do anything else for a living. But if need they could march 50 km a day.

The Limes in germany was a mix of a douane border and a military power demonstration. It was necessary for the roman empire to have been soldiers stationed permanently at the limes. Very lLikely the germanic tribes who had crossed the limes then, if not protected. One wanted good was Amber or blonde hair from germanic women. The Amber Road was a trading route during roman empire. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Road#Germany

The Name Rhine River comes from the latin word RHENUS RIVER.

Between the years 1967 and 1997 hudrreds of roman items, mostly every day life itmes, like from kitchen had been found in the rhine river. Scinetiest dont know why the mostly roman stuff lay down in the ground of the Rhine river, but on theory is, a boat of the roman border control full with roman soldiers sunk a germanic ship, with germanic thives who robbbed, stolen the roman items and wanted to bring into their terriorty.

You could be on one such a ship and sunk the germanic ship in one of the discovery tours. It is the biggest collection of roman metallic objects to be found yet in europe. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hortfund_von_Neupotz

If the theory about the roman patrol boats is true, then the ships belonges to the Classis Germanica, the roman fleet in Germany and Netherlands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classis_Germanica

The romans had also a fleetin UK, the Classis Britannica and the so called Classis Pannonica controlled the Danube river froim Regensburg to Belgrad. I beleive they had the longest mileds to be controlled on rivers.

Of course the romans transported also goods oin the rivers from cities to cities in their empire, but aswell into India and even into Ancient China.
Roman provinces traded among themselves, but trade extended outside the frontiers to regions as far away as China (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romano-Chinese_relations) and India (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gupta_Empire).[48] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_economy#cite_note-48) The main commodity (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity) was grain.[49] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_economy#cite_note-49) Chinese trade was mostly conducted overland through middle men along the Silk Road (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road); Indian trade, however, also occurred by sea from Egyptian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Egypt) ports on the Red Sea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sea). Also traded were olive oil, various foodstuffs, garum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garum) (fish sauce (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce)), slaves (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_ancient_Rome), ore and manufactured metal objects, fibres and textiles, timber, pottery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Roman_pottery), glassware (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_glass), marble, papyrus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus), spices and materia medica (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materia_medica), ivory, pearls, and gemstones.

More about India
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Roman_trade_relations

More about China. Chinese ancient papers report of a chinese trader who wanted to visit rome. but stoped in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Roman_relations

A mape of trading goods in 180 after christ
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Europe_180ad_roman_trade_map.png

Trading map in german language https://das-andere-mittelalter.webnode.com/_files/200000054-c858fca4c8/R%C3%B6mische%20Wirtschaft%201%202.jpg

3 different and intersting interactive maps of the roman empire at its highest peak.

Ever wanted to know how long it took rom London to Alexandria or from rome to pompek during roman times? here you go! http://orbis.stanford.edu/

Huge map of roman cities, fortress and much more. check it out!
http://dare.ht.lu.se/

Another navigaton tool for journey in the roman empire
https://omnesviae.org/en/

I really hope that some of the developers read my posts and may got inspirations. Would love to see Germany in roman times. Limes, Rhine River, Cities.

WendysBrioche
07-23-2018, 05:55 AM
If the developers ever make a discovery tour about the roman empire or a certain time period of the Immperium Romanunm, you shouldnt miss the roman army.

A key point of roman sucess was the discipline. One big reason why the romans lost at Teutoburg Forest was, they couldnt builded up their combat formations in the woods, instead of an open field.

It wanst really a battle, it was more a huge masscare.

A fun fact to tell:
Every legion had a baggage train of 500–550 mules, or about 1 mule for every 10 legionaries. To keep these baggage trains from becoming too large, Marius had each man carry as much of his own equipment as he could, including his own armor, weapons and 15 days' rations or about 50–60 pounds (22.5–27 kg) of load total. To make this easier, he issued each legionary a forked stick to carry his load on his shoulders. The soldiers were nicknamed Marius' Mules (muli mariani in Latin) due to the amount of gear they had to carry themselves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_reforms

General time of service was 25 years and after that service time, each soldier got a retirement farm.

The average marching distance of a roman legionary was 20 kilomters a day. Not much in my opinion for men who were trained to fight and march and did not do anything else for a living. But if need they could march 50 km a day.

The Limes in germany was a mix of a douane border and a military power demonstration. It was necessary for the roman empire to have been soldiers stationed permanently at the limes. Very lLikely the germanic tribes who had crossed the limes then, if not protected. One wanted good was Amber or blonde hair from germanic women. The Amber Road was a trading route during roman empire. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Road#Germany

The Name Rhine River comes from the latin word RHENUS RIVER.

Between the years 1967 and 1997 hudrreds of roman items, mostly every day life itmes, like from kitchen had been found in the rhine river. Scinetiest dont know why the mostly roman stuff lay down in the ground of the Rhine river, but on theory is, a boat of the roman border control full with roman soldiers sunk a germanic ship, with germanic thives who robbbed, stolen the roman items and wanted to bring into their terriorty.

You could be on one such a ship and sunk the germanic ship in one of the discovery tours. It is the biggest collection of roman metallic objects to be found yet in europe. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hortfund_von_Neupotz

If the theory about the roman patrol boats is true, then the ships belonges to the Classis Germanica, the roman fleet in Germany and Netherlands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classis_Germanica

The romans had also a fleetin UK, the Classis Britannica and the so called Classis Pannonica controlled the Danube river froim Regensburg to Belgrad. I beleive they had the longest mileds to be controlled on rivers.

Of course the romans transported also goods oin the rivers from cities to cities in their empire, but aswell into India and even into Ancient China.
Roman provinces traded among themselves, but trade extended outside the frontiers to regions as far away as China (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romano-Chinese_relations) and India (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gupta_Empire).[48] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_economy#cite_note-48) The main commodity (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodity) was grain.[49] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_economy#cite_note-49) Chinese trade was mostly conducted overland through middle men along the Silk Road (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road); Indian trade, however, also occurred by sea from Egyptian (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Egypt) ports on the Red Sea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sea). Also traded were olive oil, various foodstuffs, garum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garum) (fish sauce (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce)), slaves (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_ancient_Rome), ore and manufactured metal objects, fibres and textiles, timber, pottery (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Roman_pottery), glassware (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_glass), marble, papyrus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus), spices and materia medica (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materia_medica), ivory, pearls, and gemstones.

More about India
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Roman_trade_relations

More about China. Chinese ancient papers report of a chinese trader who wanted to visit rome. but stoped in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Roman_relations

A mape of trading goods in 180 after christ
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Europe_180ad_roman_trade_map.png

Trading map in german language https://das-andere-mittelalter.webnode.com/_files/200000054-c858fca4c8/R%C3%B6mische%20Wirtschaft%201%202.jpg

3 different and intersting interactive maps of the roman empire at its highest peak.

Ever wanted to know how long it took rom London to Alexandria or from rome to pompek during roman times? here you go! http://orbis.stanford.edu/

Huge map of roman cities, fortress and much more. check it out!
http://dare.ht.lu.se/

Another navigaton tool for journey in the roman empire
https://omnesviae.org/en/

I really hope that some of the developers read my posts and may got inspirations. Would love to see Germany in roman times. Limes, Rhine River, Cities.

Truly appreciate passions for history like yours. I share a lot of that.

One can always hope to see your favorite parts of a time period incorporated in an Assassin's game for sure!

DanonMight
08-06-2018, 10:20 PM
I Play AC games for fun. Played all of them, some were boring as hell, some were good but never amazing. It's a nice series that gets too many releases in my liking making it more and more "meh". Nevertheless it's still giving me fun to play few hours a week couse I like the concept and the gameplay plus historical acurracy ( and I mean buildings,culture not actual events lol) keeps me interesting in the series even if nothing changes gameplay wise. Thank god origins pushed the series in the new way and series feels fresh again. Shame story after Desmond is not interesting enough to keep me playing for hours but I still hope they do something with it.
It looks really nice on the shelves having all these physical copies, shame that now I have to get standard pc dvd from Poland as they don't sell retail copies in UK where I live, and spending so much money for collector's edition just to get a steelbook and maybe 50£ worth plastic statue is not my jam.
And yes I am waiting for feudal Japan:)

Swailing
08-07-2018, 12:38 PM
I guess I'd have to say I play them because of the enormous potential. There's a game that I never quite get, but the possibility that the next one could be "the one" keeps me going. And along the way, almost all of the games are hugely enjoyable to me even though they deviate from the hypothetical perfect AC.

Atmosphere is a huge thing, and the AC games have always been ahead of the curve with this. If you're going to wander on foot as much as we do then the world had better be a delight to traverse, and it always is.

As for the future, I am desperate for Ubisoft to get off its hero hype. When you're doing the honourable assassin thing, Bayek was very good: cerebral, taciturn, but with a humorous side. Aya was great, as a more focussed character: less swayed by emotion and more dedicated to the mission. But we leave them behind, and we're straight back onto the typical clear-eyed hero again with Kassandra. I'm sure she'll be a good game character and that Odyssey will be a great game, but she's Wonder Woman. The series keeps leaning towards sweet people like Ezio, Connor, Aveline, Edward, Evie & Jacob, whose stories (to greater or lesser extents) go like this: 1) Hello, I'm a Disney character, 2) Family tragedy, 3) I'm still cute but I stab people now.

I don't really see these kinds of people making good assassin converts, but they're the vast majority of the characters we've been offered. There are more character types who would fit this role, and still have the emotional complexity. The 2011 Showtime TV show "The Borgias" had an excellent example in their Micheletto. He was presented as a near feral man, like a super-intelligent animal. It took a long time to reveal his full character and explain who he is and what he's capable of. Without any Disney-ness at all, viewers got to see that Micheletto was intensely driven by love and its absence. He had a complicated relationship to the concepts of loyalty and duty. Similarly, Prakoso in the movie "The Raid 2" aka "The Raid: Redemption" — I still haven't seen the first movie, and he's in that too, but this character's brief appearance in The Raid 2 immediately made me think of what a great model he'd be for an assassin character. Again, he's stoic; there's a lot he doesn't say directly, but you understand it nonetheless through observation.

And I wonder if we'll ever see a more subtle, more interesting character type in AC as long as it chases the biggest money. To get the top earnings, the safe bet is to make a clean hero who is acceptable to the most people, rather than to make a character that's got depth which some people will love and some people will hate. Same principle with pop music: if you aim to make something to be 100% loved, you're looking at a limited market, but if you can make something that millions will say is okay, you'll be rolling in money. And if AC is ever forced to stop competing for that ultimate earnings haul, I suspect the company will simply close it down rather than reimagine it or change the scale. I hope I'm wrong, but my expectation is that I'll see an ever-expanding list of these likeable but basic protags. My suspicion is that this tendency is intensified with the female characters. Everyone knows that gaming has a giant misogyny problem, and rather than use the clout of a huge franchise to challenge this, a company like Ubisoft is more likely to play it 100% safe with its female characters. So Aveline, Evie and Kassandra aren't just sweet assassins, they're the sweetest. The cutest. The tiniest noses, the prettiest eyes, the most gentle demeanours, all to be as appealing as possible to anyone regardless of their acceptance or opposition to female protags in games. And if they didn't make the women sweet enough for you? Don't worry! She's only in a spin-off game. These ones are only optional.

And then, there's story. History buffs know of tons of good set-ups for AC games. When they were making a game for England, there were so many options:

- We could have had something based around John Dee: the head of a vast spying network that protected Elizabeth I from numerous assassination attempts, who was also an occultist who believed in "scrying" (magical remote viewing via water in special metal dishes, helloooooo PoE), whose abstract signature representing a hand crooked around two round eyes looked exactly like the James Bond 007 logo, whose occultist partner Edward Kelley had visions and conversations with 'angels' such as Uriel (hellooooo, First Civ).

- We could have had a game based around the household of Samuel Pepys, the famous diarist who often complained about his young man-servant who would often be absent on his own business, who was introduced to Pepys by a man called Mr. Creed (yes, really), whom Pepys sometimes witnessed running off across the rooftops like a monkey, whom Pepys nonetheless apprenticed and helped his promotion through the ranks of government until his one-time man-servant became a Lord.

- We could have had, in the exact timescale in which Syndicate took place, a story about the mysterious dissolution of the East India Company, the most wealthy and powerful non-governmental organisation the world has ever known, which looks exactly like the Templars of AC fiction, whose directors returned from India flaunting their riches and directly taunting politicians and even the monarchy for true control of this modern world, who then built mansions that were expressions of this excess, who then died in large numbers over a period of a couple of decades. The money contained within the company has never been satisfactorily accounted for.

And there are many more, of course. Instead, we got Syndicate, which is a great game, but it's a story about a magic cloak with pantomime cameos from Dickens, Darwin and Marx. Compared to any of those stories above, it's a total waste, and every AC is going to go the same way unless they start exploiting the gifts that exist in history and use the best material, instead of just draping Assassin-ness over historical periods which Look Kind Of Cool I Guess.

Black_Widow9
08-07-2018, 09:02 PM
I play because I love the history and they're beautiful. I love seeing and exploring locations and cultures that would never be possible now. It was one of my first game titles when I started at Ubisoft and it and you guys will always have a very special place in my heart. I know it sounds cheesy but it's true. ;)

cawatrooper9
08-07-2018, 09:20 PM
I play because I love the history and they're beautiful. I love seeing and exploring locations and cultures that would never be possible now. It was one of my first game titles when I started at Ubisoft and it and you guys will always have a very special place in my heart. I know it sounds cheesy but it's true. ;)

D'awwww :rolleyes:

Crazy to think that the series is going on eleven years now!

darklion2043
08-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Hope we will see many years with AC.
But please finish The Juno Story and First Civ Stories at the later games. And than I'm going to be ready new AC Era with RPG elements, character choices and may be dialogue choices.

ninja4hire10
08-09-2018, 08:03 PM
What do you mean by that? You think they will go back and focus more on assassins gameplay?

So sorry, Kiro, didn't see this till now.

Ultimately, yes. I mentioned this in another post, but Ash stated publicly that Origins was a soft reboot of the franchise. Presumably ODY is part of the reboot, too. So now we've seen how the actual Brotherhood started; time to see how they really got their legs under them and gained strength as a more cohesive faction. And it's in that that I believe we'll see a return to much of the original flavor of AC, just maybe not with Odyssey or even with whatever comes game comes post-Odyssey. It's coming, though. Has to be.

ninja4hire10
08-09-2018, 08:26 PM
I do that too. I've spent 8 hours just walking slowly and stumbling through the Great Sand Sea alone in Assassin's Creed Origins. Still hasn't gotten old, I love walking slowly throughout the game and treating it like a contiguous film where all events are purely successive to the last and no event is deleted.

First off, Wendys, you win the thread for most interesting story. And I should mention a couple years ago my wife's doctor invited me to join the Masons. I politely declined. I got enough of a messed up head, no need to add keeping Cave Secrets a secret to compound the stress.

Anyway, wandering aimlessly IS one of AC greatest assets. I did the same in Origins, except for me it was the Green Mountains. Loved just being away from the hustle and bustle of the cities. I imagine Odyssey will much of the same.

Olympus2018
08-09-2018, 09:54 PM
First off, Wendys, you win the thread for most interesting story. And I should mention a couple years ago my wife's doctor invited me to join the Masons. I politely declined. I got enough of a messed up head, no need to add keeping Cave Secrets a secret to compound the stress.

Anyway, wandering aimlessly IS one of AC greatest assets. I did the same in Origins, except for me it was the Green Mountains. Loved just being away from the hustle and bustle of the cities. I imagine Odyssey will much of the same.

Odyssey will be similar in terms of activities in the open world. Wandering around in order to explore an area, even aimlessly, is going to be a thing that many people want to do...

Kiroku
08-09-2018, 10:55 PM

Because of the history is your main reason?

So since AC1 you started stopping by at some important places and attractions for minutes to enjoy the history? No offense here but it sounds super weird and rather like somethig you have to say because of marketing reasons for the next game since they talked about history in their promotion a ton of times.

Don't you like the AC franchise more because of the whole assassins creed story and because of altair and ezio for example? I mean I like those settings too especially italy and egypt were some of my most "must have" settings. But its not my true main reason.

ninja4hire10
08-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Odyssey will be similar in terms of activities in the open world. Wandering around in order to explore an area, even aimlessly, is going to be a thing that many people want to do...

Yeah, exactly, I wasn't meaning my "much of the same" comment to be taken as "boring same 'ol, same 'ol." I mean "YAY! It's more of the SAME!"

Aimless wandering out in the middle of nowhere is something I look forward to. As much as I like(d) Unity, there really wasn't a chance to just getaway. Even Versailles still had a lot to it. Sometimes I just want to lose myself out in the wilderness, just to listen to the wind blow. Maybe with Odyssey I can sail to a remote island and just stand on the beach and listen to the lapping of the waves. I hope so.

Olympus2018
08-10-2018, 06:23 PM
Yeah, exactly, I wasn't meaning my "much of the same" comment to be taken as "boring same 'ol, same 'ol." I mean "YAY! It's more of the SAME!"

Aimless wandering out in the middle of nowhere is something I look forward to. As much as I like(d) Unity, there really wasn't a chance to just getaway. Even Versailles still had a lot to it. Sometimes I just want to lose myself out in the wilderness, just to listen to the wind blow. Maybe with Odyssey I can sail to a remote island and just stand on the beach and listen to the lapping of the waves. I hope so.

Some people don't realize that even wandering around is important in this game: You may discover a hidden surprise that's not part of a quest or shown on the map with a ? mark. Like the papyri - related treasures in Origins.

Tahiri_Auditore
08-10-2018, 07:59 PM
I don't get to post often, but I saw this thread and read through some pages. I felt like I wanted to put some thoughts into writing.

I've found something to like/enjoy in every Assassin's Creed game. Some more than others. I did have a good time in AC Origins and I really liked Bayek. I'm cautiously optimistic about Odyssey. BUT. I miss assassins vs templars. I miss seeing what's going on in the modern day. I miss learning about the First Civ and listening to Juno speak at me. I hope some of this will be in Odyssey and if not, I hope they return to it soon.

As for combat, I'm not real big on the dual dagger stuff and I hate the sword and shield stuff. I've not enjoyed that in any game. I do however love the stealth and archer stuff <3 And I really hope they don't go overboard on the fantasy elements. I realize some of it is the pieces of eden and such and that's fine.

I feel like I'm about to start rambling so I'll end here. I just wanted to vent a little bit I suppose.

I hope that everyone gets to enjoy Odyssey, that is why we're all here, love of AC. :)

Olympus2018
08-10-2018, 08:35 PM
I don't get to post often, but I saw this thread and read through some pages. I felt like I wanted to put some thoughts into writing.

I've found something to like/enjoy in every Assassin's Creed game. Some more than others. I did have a good time in AC Origins and I really liked Bayek. I'm cautiously optimistic about Odyssey. BUT. I miss assassins vs templars. I miss seeing what's going on in the modern day. I miss learning about the First Civ and listening to Juno speak at me. I hope some of this will be in Odyssey and if not, I hope they return to it soon.

As for combat, I'm not real big on the dual dagger stuff and I hate the sword and shield stuff. I've not enjoyed that in any game. I do however love the stealth and archer stuff <3 And I really hope they don't go overboard on the fantasy elements. I realize some of it is the pieces of eden and such and that's fine.

I feel like I'm about to start rambling so I'll end here. I just wanted to vent a little bit I suppose.

I hope that everyone gets to enjoy Odyssey, that is why we're all here, love of AC. :)

Odyssey is the closest you get to the First Civilization, chronologically speaking. Layla will get out of the cave in the modern world and she will complete some quests too, as far as I know!

Tahiri_Auditore
08-10-2018, 09:54 PM
I know that we will be using the spear of Leonidas and that it is supposed to be from the first civ stuff and if I recall ...he was actually descended from them? So, I do expect we'll learn more about them in this game (hopefully)!

I didn't care for Layla. I found her extremely grating. But, I was happy to see ...should I spoiler stuff? I don't know how to do that. The dad of someone I do miss and did like. ;)

cawatrooper9
08-10-2018, 10:05 PM
I know that we will be using the spear of Leonidas and that it is supposed to be from the first civ stuff and if I recall ...he was actually descended from them? So, I do expect we'll learn more about them in this game (hopefully)!

I didn't care for Layla. I found her extremely grating. But, I was happy to see ...should I spoiler stuff? I don't know how to do that. The dad of someone I do miss and did like. ;)

I feel like you're vague enough here, but now's as good of a time as any for a reminder on how to add spoiler tags.

https://scontent.fcps1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/38791667_1888557264779344_1826833196545736704_n.pn g?_nc_cat=0&oh=aa3cba4c802af41d3208c7c39c35d266&oe=5BCB35E0

Just type those two items, and put the spoiler text in between.

'Tis the season, I'm sure we're bound to get a ton more info soon. :D

Tahiri_Auditore
08-11-2018, 01:53 AM
Thank you so much! I fixed it, just in case :)

Klabauter1983
08-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Because of the history is your main reason?

So since AC1 you started stopping by at some important places and attractions for minutes to enjoy the history? No offense here but it sounds super weird and rather like somethig you have to say because of marketing reasons for the next game since they talked about history in their promotion a ton of times.

Don't you like the AC franchise more because of the whole assassins creed story and because of altair and ezio for example? I mean I like those settings too especially italy and egypt were some of my most "must have" settings. But its not my true main reason.

Well, I am not asked, but for me historical setting, time period comes first, then the Story. In fact i dislike ac1, untill a friend showed me and start playing until ac3. I have stoped because and i do t like the setting of black flag. And i have an old pc. So i need to buy a new one untill i go further in ac Games. I disliked ac 1 because i dislike the idea of climbing like Superman. But i gave it a try. And boom. Perfect. Sure Story is important, but for me the locations, places, buildings and different landscapes are most important. And good graphics of course. I cant stand fantasy games like the witcher.

MilesHawk10
08-11-2018, 11:47 PM
Great questions! I joined the AC series because I'm very fancy of histories. I bought my first AC (2007) game at Kmart when I was thirteen I think, and I enjoyed out of it! I mean have you looked at amazing graphics and free-roam all over the world. The features in AC games are pretty overwhelming and awe-inspiring. I loved meeting historical people including Marquis de Lafayette because they excite me, and the opportunity to learn more about them especially landmarks and events. Although I enjoyed characters and the stories among the franchise. I love sword-fighting and combat system in AC games, but the combat in old AC games are getting old and easy. It's a good thing that Ubisoft has changed them from easy to the hard combat system. I felt AC Origins had a good change for AC fans, but it's never easy for them to likening combat system. Climbing is really fun as hell, and it makes you feel like you've already at the top! You're probably like saying I'm king of the world in front of the audience and the templars!! I love the between Assassins and Templars conflict over the piece of Edens! It feels like you experiencing them what's going on in the AC franchise.

I understand people really disliked what's Ubisoft are doing with AC games, but you never stopped liking AC because you love histories.
Overall, I'm pretty excited about AC Odyssey because it's Ancient Greece! Let's hope this game is as good as Origins.

Olympus2018
08-12-2018, 09:43 AM
Great questions! I joined the AC series because I'm very fancy of histories. I bought my first AC (2007) game at Kmart when I was thirteen I think, and I enjoyed out of it! I mean have you looked at amazing graphics and free-roam all over the world. The features in AC games are pretty overwhelming and awe-inspiring. I loved meeting historical people including Marquis de Lafayette because they excite me, and the opportunity to learn more about them especially landmarks and events. Although I enjoyed characters and the stories among the franchise. I love sword-fighting and combat system in AC games, but the combat in old AC games are getting old and easy. It's a good thing that Ubisoft has changed them from easy to the hard combat system. I felt AC Origins had a good change for AC fans, but it's never easy for them to likening combat system. Climbing is really fun as hell, and it makes you feel like you've already at the top! You're probably like saying I'm king of the world in front of the audience and the templars!! I love the between Assassins and Templars conflict over the piece of Edens! It feels like you experiencing them what's going on in the AC franchise.

I understand people really disliked what's Ubisoft are doing with AC games, but you never stopped liking AC because you love histories.
Overall, I'm pretty excited about AC Odyssey because it's Ancient Greece! Let's hope this game is as good as Origins.

Odyssey will be an enhanced Origins.... Dialogues, choices, larger map, new abilities etc.

Unlike Origins, there will be multiple endings and multiple versions of the game, depending on the choices you make. So it will make perfect sense to replay the game, making different choices, side with either Athenians or Spartans, as Alexios or Kassandra. In other words, if you could finish the game in 50 or 100 hours, you can play the game again and again and again, making different choices each time, having different experiences etc. So, overall, you could spend thousands of hours and still have a different experience because of the various choices you can make with the dialogue system. In terms of play-time, Odyssey is MUCH larger than Origins.

Dying Light 2 will be similar, maybe even more complicated: Hundreds of choices that will impact the game greatly: If you combine all the possible scenarios that derive from all possible choices, it is XXX by XXX different combinations/experiences which really mean that the game will have probably even 100 thousand different scenarios to play!!!

IF Odyssey follows the same pattern (Dying Light 2), then prepare for something much larger than you can possibly expect: Not only multiple different endings but also thousands of different experiences that derive from dozens or hundreds of choices that you make throughout the game. If you calculate all the possible combinations.... They are too many to experience all of them within a lifetime.

Why do I play AC games? Mostly because of the setting and the historical context of each game: Rome, Egypt, Greece, London etc.

darklion2043
09-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Now I'm playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Really good game with it's graphics, sights,and of course puzzles . This game reminds me when I played God of War Series and also puzzles in it remind me PoP games and AC 2 tombs. Really miss that days. I know these games are not same categories, but if I'm honest, my ideas change a little these few days that I need AC for long years. If AC franchise'll finish, probably I play a game 1, 2 or most 3 months and than wait a good game for months. But I play an AC game many times because this world gives us many freedom. Not only a way like think you are a mouse in labyrinth. We go anywhere and do many things. Yes, I don't support choice dialogue element now but this element is going to make AC more popular and we'll play AC many years. It seems I'm really bored if AC Franchise is end. You can see selfishness in this post.:)

Olympus2018
09-20-2018, 11:14 AM
Now I'm playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Really good game with it's graphics, sights,and of course puzzles . This game reminds me when I played God of War Series and also puzzles in it remind me PoP games and AC 2 tombs. Really miss that days. I know these games are not same categories, but if I'm honest, my ideas change a little these few days that I need AC for long years. If AC franchise'll finish, probably I play a game 1, 2 or most 3 months and than wait a good game for months. But I play an AC game many times because this world gives us many freedom. Not only a way like think you are a mouse in labyrinth. We go anywhere and do many things. Yes, I don't support choice dialogue element now but this element is going to make AC more popular and we'll play AC many years. It seems I'm really bored if AC Franchise is end. You can see selfishness in this post.:)

God of War should be titled How to Butcher Greek Mythology and make money out of it... It was too ridiculous to play it. Kratos could never kill Zeus or Hercules in Greek mythology. Also, it was too linear for my standards. I only like open worlds.

darklion2043
09-20-2018, 12:00 PM
It seems I'm a selfish person and love to play ridiculuos games. :)

Your thoughts about God of War are too critical. But many companies use many popular things to gain more money and give us more funny games. Devs of GoW combine myth with fantasy and give us a new story that it never write in myths in my opinion. And It may give an inspiration for many people to search myths. Isn't that good thing?

ModernWaffle
09-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Your thoughts about God of War are too critical. But many companies use many popular things to gain more money and give us more funny games. Devs of GoW combine myth with fantasy and give us a new story that it never write in myths in my opinion. And It may give an inspiration for many people to search myths. Isn't that good thing?

Agreed. I don't think GoW devs ever claimed to be creating an authentic representation of Greek myth as it may have happened IRL. They are clearly using it as a foundation for the primary inspiration of their games as many other companies have done in the past.

strigoi1958
09-20-2018, 03:22 PM
This is a very good topic, thanks Darklion2043.

I play lots of games, lots of different genres of games... but to echo some of the previous comments, when I played AC1 I felt connected, I'm very keen on Knights Templar and their history... and as Sixkeys said, the game has atmosphere...

AC1 (i never finished as it was a little repetitive) but it was like a glimpse into the future of what open world games might become... luckily for me... AC progressed and exceeded all I could have hoped for in a game. The cities, the attention to detail, the real sounds, (the trains in syndicate for example) the change in sound of footsteps when we move to a different surface.

The games make me question whether doing bad for good reasons is justifiable... and even if I'm on the side of good or bad... Haytham and Shay both made me wonder which side is right (if any).

darklion2043
09-20-2018, 04:55 PM
This is a very good topic, thanks Darklion2043.

I play lots of games, lots of different genres of games... but to echo some of the previous comments, when I played AC1 I felt connected, I'm very keen on Knights Templar and their history... and as Sixkeys said, the game has atmosphere...

AC1 (i never finished as it was a little repetitive) but it was like a glimpse into the future of what open world games might become... luckily for me... AC progressed and exceeded all I could have hoped for in a game. The cities, the attention to detail, the real sounds, (the trains in syndicate for example) the change in sound of footsteps when we move to a different surface.

The games make me question whether doing bad for good reasons is justifiable... and even if I'm on the side of good or bad... Haytham and Shay both made me wonder which side is right (if any).

Thanks to you too Big Brother.

My hope is understanding each others with this way. Because all of us are AC fans but have different perspectives about AC franchise.
Know and understand each of ours views about AC. With this way we can see our thoughts about AC and it becomes us more positive when we write our posts. Because sometimes we,me too, forget kindness and become rude to explain our wishes, suggestions, criticisms, whinings or protections. May help a few or more people in here.

ModernWaffle
09-20-2018, 05:05 PM
I guess I played AC games to feel like a feared assassin. I.e. wearing my hood and infiltrating a big natural or man-made structure with parkour, getting my target and leaving unnoticed. AC did that for me because it wasn't really a stealth game to be honest, it was a game without proper stealth mechanics that made you feel stealthy.

Dishonored for example is a series I really like but as it's actually challenging to go on a stealth run I don't feel as fearless when I'm being spotted or killed twice as many times. Essentially, there's no alternative franchise I know which makes you look like a lethal assassin without you actually being one - and any change that shifts away from that core idea will likely disappoint me.

SgtWolf1
09-21-2018, 06:05 AM
I started with AC with the first release, but not until I saw and read reviews as I really had no idea what it was all about. After I read the reviews it sounded very intriguing and I jumped in. Secret societies, who are the good guys, I can jump into a machine and live though an ancestors life....wow! The real day animus part was clunky but it was fun and story was good. It didn't blow me away till the Ezio games, then it really blew me away being able to follow him from beginning to end of his story. Plus they are doing actual research into the time periods with historians and trying to make the settings a realistic as possible. I love history and that's what really hooked me completely. This is a long way from where I started gaming with Pong! Guess I'm dating myself there. It's amazing how far gaming has come and what it can do. I can really see the next generation or the one after that being able game in a Star Trek type holodeck. Though I've come up through Pong, Atari, Intellevision the first Nintendo console etc, I just can't play these type of games of console. The gamepad always goes flying across the room. So my PS4 is relegated to sports and racing games mostly. How those of you who play these games well with a gamepad is astounding to me. Give me a mouse and keyboard and I can do anything.

Although I have enjoyed all editions of the game, Ezio's story and Black Flag resonated with me the most, but I was starting to feel like the gameplay was getting to feeling kinda 'cookie cutter' in a way. Same thing, different place and time period, though the graphics where always awesome. I would have still continued to buy and play AC game with that formula, but I think the new path they have taken gives the franchise a lot more legroom and ways to do things. I like RPG's, and enjoy that kind of game as long as it doesn't get too grindy. So what they are doing is great for me. I also like the new combat as It's more what I'm used to. I can see though that those that liked the previous games and really don't like RPG games would feel annoyed. I'm hoping they give it shot with an open mind though. It may help if they allowed some to disable some the RPG elements if that's not what enjoy. Like not worrying about stats of your armor or having to do a lot of side quests to level up and keep with main story. I enjoy it all though as if you do that, you can play the game for SO much longer.

As for the future, I hope they keep going in this direction with huge maps with lots to do and keep adding content through a games lifespan. Perhaps less of the same thing of going this camp, kill the captain and get to loot chests, then go do it again down the road. They did provide side quests that varied pretty good with Origins and hope they keep trying to make them meaningful quests. They've picked a couple good time periods to implement this new direction with Origins and now Odyssey. What would be great for the next in the series is getting back to a world where the Assassins and Templar's are already well layed out with a great story. I think that would bring back a lot that may have stop playing AC feeling they have gone too far adrift.

Lysette88
09-21-2018, 09:54 AM
My reason to play AC games might be a bit unpopular, but on the other side it explains, why I like the modern AC games more than the original ones. I am in for what I would call "historical tourism", but not just as an "outsider", like a tourist, but as someone who actually lived in that world. This is basically the direction, in which AC is heading (we even have pure tourism tours now) and I appreciate it. It does not make sense seen from the original series, that there is more agency now in it's game play, but I like that a lot as well, more RPG than "replay" of ancient memories.

The other aspect I really love is parkouring - and there is IMO no other series which does this better than AC. And this combined with more freedom what to do in the game, makes it great from my point of view. These changes basically started with AC:Blackflag and it is not the bigger part of the series - so the original style is a thing from the past, AC has changed since a couple of years and IMO to the better. I enjoy the new direction a lot more than the older ones. But I can see, that some do not like these changes - even they are now the since a while the bigger part of the series.

So, yes,I really love where Ubisoft is heading with the series - I cannot even understand, why some say Kassandra wouldn't be a relateable character - she seems to be a tomboy and those have male attitudes mixed within their female nature. If Alexios and Kassandra are twins, it would even make sense for her to become a tomboy, because there was most likely more testosterone present in the womp than if Kassandra would be single. Maybe I can relate to Kassandra that much, because I am a tomboy myself - and what I've seen from Kassandra so far is awesome, I'll love to play her.

Lysette88
09-21-2018, 10:13 AM
I guess I played AC games to feel like a feared assassin. I.e. wearing my hood and infiltrating a big natural or man-made structure with parkour, getting my target and leaving unnoticed. AC did that for me because it wasn't really a stealth game to be honest, it was a game without proper stealth mechanics that made you feel stealthy.

Dishonored for example is a series I really like but as it's actually challenging to go on a stealth run I don't feel as fearless when I'm being spotted or killed twice as many times. Essentially, there's no alternative franchise I know which makes you look like a lethal assassin without you actually being one - and any change that shifts away from that core idea will likely disappoint me.

I really love the dishonored series as well, but it is very different from AC game play. Parkouring is more the domain of Assassin's Creed, in Dishonored one is using supernatural abilities like "blink". The new AC games provide choice though, just like in Dishonored one can be more or less lethal and still accomplish those missions. In older AC games this was pretty stiff - one had to do it in more or less the "given" way without much freedom what to do, just how to do it within strict constraints otherwise "desynchronized". In Dishonored there is more freedom how to approach things, but the game is far more linear than modern AC games. It has similiarities, but both are still widely different game styles IMO.

darklion2043
09-22-2018, 09:49 AM
Thanks again with your sincere answers.

Waiting Odysses and hope I'll be wrong at my anxieties.

Have a nice day Everyone.

Olympus2018
09-22-2018, 11:27 AM
As Lysette88 mentioned, one of the key elements of AC is "historical tourism". You become part of important historical events and also you see a reconstruction of the past with a lot of accuracy in terms of architecture, language, culture, landscape etc.

Lysette88
09-22-2018, 10:26 PM
As Lysette88 mentioned, one of the key elements of AC is "historical tourism". You become part of important historical events and also you see a reconstruction of the past with a lot of accuracy in terms of architecture, language, culture, landscape etc.

Yeah, I never visited Greece yet, so I am very excited about being able to see it's landscape and past from a "first hand" perspective. Actually the game got me to read and watch videos about Greece and I found that I didn't know that much about it before - what is a shame, I admit that, it is one of the high cultures, where I could have given more attention to - well, i am doing that now at least.

For you it must be awesome to visit your country in ancient times via the game - your country - isn't that a blast?

Olympus2018
09-23-2018, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I never visited Greece yet, so I am very excited about being able to see it's landscape and past from a "first hand" perspective. Actually the game got me to read and watch videos about Greece and I found that I didn't know that much about it before - what is a shame, I admit that, it is one of the high cultures, where I could have given more attention to - well, i am doing that now at least.

For you it must be awesome to visit your country in ancient times via the game - your country - isn't that a blast?

Indeed. Unlike Titan Quest in the past, or God of War more recently, Odyssey will be the first game ever to demonstrate the ancient Greek world with some serious historical accuracy. Having visited many ancient sites, I am curious to see how much accuracy will be displayed in the game! Also, the ancient Greek language will be reconstructed, too. Splendid!

Lysette88
09-23-2018, 01:54 AM
Indeed. Unlike Titan Quest in the past, or God of War more recently, Odyssey will be the first game ever to demonstrate the ancient Greek world with some serious historical accuracy. Having visited many ancient sites, I am curious to see how much accuracy will be displayed in the game! Also, the ancient Greek language will be reconstructed, too. Splendid!

I have absolutely no doubt that Ubisoft has put in the effort to make it as accurate as they could and still be playable - it is scaled of course to fit on the map - but otherwise the detail in the other games was stunning when compared to the real world sites - so you will be very happy with the results, I guess.