PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey's DLC and where Assassin's Creed is headed

TheGeekAssassin
07-12-2018, 09:11 PM
So I was reading the article where Lionel Raynaud said that Assassin's Creed is moving to a service platform going forward and that we will use the Animus to go to different periods of time all in the same game. This got me pretty pumped because we saw something that looked like it might be a foreshadowing of this in the opening sceen of Unity.

I made a little video the elaborates on these thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBJfiHumjCw

What about you guys, what do you want to see by way of DLC and new expansions for Assassin's Creed games going forward.

MnemonicSyntax
07-12-2018, 09:47 PM
I'd rather see your thoughts on the forum and not to a YouTube video to try to garner forced views in order to carry on a conversation.

TheGeekAssassin
07-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Fair enough.
Here you go.

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is going to have a ton of extra content for us to play post launch. Top executives like Odyssey’s game director Jonathan Dumont and Ubisoft Canada EVP Lionel Raynaud have confirmed that Odyssey will have weekly content for some time to come after it is released. Also that future games will be moving to the game as a service model. But what exactly does this mean for the future of Assassin’s Creed? In today’s video I want to go over what we can expect from Ubisoft in the way of extra content, and where the Assassin’s Creed franchise may be heading. If you dig this video, give it a like.

Lionel Raynaud mentioned in an interview that we can expect to see the Animus being used as a central hub for us to be able to travel to different locations and times throughout history. This sounds pretty phenomenal to me. And we may have seen a foreshadowing of this all the way back In Assassin’s Creed Unity. The opening scene showed us content from previous Assassin’s Creed games and other potential storylines we never saw before. But Alas this was not meant to be for Assassin’s Creed Unity. However it appears to be the destination for future Assassin’s Creed Games.

Something that this service platform Lionel discussed could give us the ability to see past games but with modern graphics and gameplay mechanics. Like the new combat introduced in Origins and somewhat carried over into Odyssey used in past games like Assassin's Creed 1 or Brotherhood. More weapons and tools from different eras that can be usable regardless of setting in one cohesive experience. Or even let the games properly build upon one another and give more flow and continuity. Potentially even character reprisals and extended life for some of the characters we know and love. The Idea would be to see new and different elements added to an existing game and further polish the experience of one game rather than a completely new experience each year.

That little taste we got of playing the first mission In Unity and the possibility of jumping through history had me so excited. I was convinced that we would get to play these other stories, and when it didn’t happen I was rather disappointed. I wanted to play as Ezio again, I wanted to check out stories that we never saw before like “The Bladed Cross” or “Jazz age Junkies”. Then again maybe they were supposed to be playable but it didn’t happen due to the vast amount of bugs that Unity had at launch, that the focus on DLC was jetacined to fix the game. So if the future of Assassin’s Creed is to include small story installments from different points in time in one game, I would be all over that.

Origins had messages from the Isu that talked about an Animus yet to be built that could transcend time, but first we needed to understand time. It also pondered the idea of everything being a simulation or a blurring of the lines between simulations and reality. Could we see a future to the series where we are the animus user and take full control of the events that unfold in history. The PC version of Origins showed again what that might look like with the Animus Control Panel. Allowing us to play as different characters, increase the difficulty, movement speed and the amount of bad guys we encounter and more. But like youtuber LazerzZ discussed in one of his videos is everything we see in Odyssey breaking the lore? LazerzZ speaks quite eloquently about how Odyssey is breaking the lore of Assassin’s Creed so I will link his video below so you can have a look and see what he has to say on that subject.

This new content delivery service has me both intrigued and nervous at the same time. We have seen the cost of games going up with the inception of the deluxe, gold and ultimate editions. Not to mention the collectors editions, and of course microtransactions. So it has become more and more a financial burden to keep up with all the content already distributed in these games. Now with the service model encouraging us to come back daily or weekly for new content there is also the investment of time where gamers will have to be more selective of which games to purchase and dedicate themselves to. Could we see a transition from Microtransactions to Macro transactions to get this new content? I’m thinking that it will, but only time will tell.

So where will all this take us? Will we see installments like Hitman where every month or so we get a new Small semi self contained story that expands on the narrative but lives in its own region of the world? Or will we be getting a hefty main game to start with, and smaller more steady DLC installments? The impression that I got while reading the article over on Ubisoft.com, which I will have linked in the description is that we will see sizeable installments. The developer is working on new and better ways to speed up production of content that will give players more of what they want. This is very encouraging.

Games like Rainbow Six Siege, and For Honor have already started this trend, offering new maps, modes stories and other cosmetic updates to it’s players. Since these games are Multiplayer games, it remains to be seen exactly what kind of expansions we will get for a game like Assassin’s Creed that is single player only. It may even lead to the return of multiplayer in Assassin’s Creed or a Co-op mode which wouldn’t be completely unwelcome? But that is all purely speculative on my part. Personally I would like to see more single player missions than co-op. And no more pointless side quests. This was touched on that we will even see a greater variety of side quests in Odyssey to give some much needed diversity and that it would be dependant on the choices we make throughout the game to encounter these different side quest types.

For now, I look forward to Odyssey and future Assassin’s Creed installments. I think there is a great deal of potential for what is on the horizon for this illustrious franchise.

joelsantos24
07-13-2018, 02:18 PM
Lionel Raynaud mentioned in an interview that we can expect to see the Animus being used as a central hub for us to be able to travel to different locations and times throughout history. This sounds pretty phenomenal to me. And we may have seen a foreshadowing of this all the way back In Assassin’s Creed Unity. The opening scene showed us content from previous Assassin’s Creed games and other potential storylines we never saw before. But Alas this was not meant to be for Assassin’s Creed Unity. However it appears to be the destination for future Assassin’s Creed Games.
Well, it isn't the first time we have different locations, per se, although we always had those in the same time period. In AC1, we had Jerusalem, Acre, Damascus, Masyaf and the Kingdom (space in between and around the main cities). In AC2, we had several cities as well. Visiting different time periods in the same game, however, may only make sense in the context of the meta-story, or in the Assassin's struggle to find and gather information as well as artefacts. The notion is definitely appealing, that much is true.

That little taste we got of playing the first mission In Unity and the possibility of jumping through history had me so excited. I was convinced that we would get to play these other stories, and when it didn’t happen I was rather disappointed. I wanted to play as Ezio again, I wanted to check out stories that we never saw before like “The Bladed Cross” or “Jazz age Junkies”. Then again maybe they were supposed to be playable but it didn’t happen due to the vast amount of bugs that Unity had at launch, that the focus on DLC was jetacined to fix the game. So if the future of Assassin’s Creed is to include small story installments from different points in time in one game, I would be all over that.
I'm not sure whether or not bringing Ezio or AltaÔr again, might be that beneficial, to both the series and the players/fans. Those games stand as some of the ultimate favourites to a very significant portion of the player-base, and it might not be adequate to revisit the same contexts or old characters.

Origins had messages from the Isu that talked about an Animus yet to be built that could transcend time, but first we needed to understand time. It also pondered the idea of everything being a simulation or a blurring of the lines between simulations and reality. Could we see a future to the series where we are the animus user and take full control of the events that unfold in history. The PC version of Origins showed again what that might look like with the Animus Control Panel. Allowing us to play as different characters, increase the difficulty, movement speed and the amount of bad guys we encounter and more. But like youtuber LazerzZ discussed in one of his videos is everything we see in Odyssey breaking the lore? LazerzZ speaks quite eloquently about how Odyssey is breaking the lore of Assassin’s Creed so I will link his video below so you can have a look and see what he has to say on that subject.
This is where, I believe, Ubisoft began preparing the ground for Odyssey and possible future instalments. Choices, options, multiple endings, and the whole "bending time and reality" concept, don't really appeal that much to me. I do agree with those fans who criticise Ubisoft for being too negligent with the series, and more specifically the mythology, to the point that it may be turning into a mythologically bankrupted series.

This new content delivery service has me both intrigued and nervous at the same time. We have seen the cost of games going up with the inception of the deluxe, gold and ultimate editions. Not to mention the collectors editions, and of course microtransactions. So it has become more and more a financial burden to keep up with all the content already distributed in these games. Now with the service model encouraging us to come back daily or weekly for new content there is also the investment of time where gamers will have to be more selective of which games to purchase and dedicate themselves to. Could we see a transition from Microtransactions to Macro transactions to get this new content? I’m thinking that it will, but only time will tell.
I think Ubisoft broke the record for the amount of different editions of a game, with Odyssey. I, myself, am not sure how many there are, anymore. I do agree with the opinion current that the games as services approach is destroying the games and the industry. As Sony keep proving with every single game released, people really value and give merit to deep and insightful stories and story-oriented content. When you provide a service, it's impossible to convey a meaningful storyline because you're inducing the players into hours and hours of simple world exploration, view-point synchronisation, treasure/artefact hunting, collecting resources for crafting or gear development, waves and waves of secondary missions and tasks, etc. Any story or narrative-experience, is irreparably diluted into hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay.

So where will all this take us? Will we see installments like Hitman where every month or so we get a new Small semi self contained story that expands on the narrative but lives in its own region of the world? Or will we be getting a hefty main game to start with, and smaller more steady DLC installments? The impression that I got while reading the article over on Ubisoft.com, which I will have linked in the description is that we will see sizeable installments. The developer is working on new and better ways to speed up production of content that will give players more of what they want. This is very encouraging.

Games like Rainbow Six Siege, and For Honor have already started this trend, offering new maps, modes stories and other cosmetic updates to it’s players. Since these games are Multiplayer games, it remains to be seen exactly what kind of expansions we will get for a game like Assassin’s Creed that is single player only. It may even lead to the return of multiplayer in Assassin’s Creed or a Co-op mode which wouldn’t be completely unwelcome? But that is all purely speculative on my part. Personally I would like to see more single player missions than co-op. And no more pointless side quests. This was touched on that we will even see a greater variety of side quests in Odyssey to give some much needed diversity and that it would be dependant on the choices we make throughout the game to encounter these different side quest types.
The episodical approach to Hitman was, more or less, accidental, I believe. The structure of Hitman 2 is already the conventional full game package. But, in my opinion, Hitman doesn't really resemble AC, or any other Ubisoft series, for that matter, in the sense that Hitman is a more linear experience, essentially propelled by the narrative structure. As a service, AC won't be founded on the story or narrative, and as it happens with so many other services, it's going to be pushed into the background, I think.

cawatrooper9
07-13-2018, 02:47 PM
Regarding the weekly content- I'd imagine that it would be either something like Trials of the Gods, or a small quest.

Just in case it wasn't obvious, I wouldn't expect a new Curse of the Pharaohs every Tuesday. :p

But yeah, I was a little worried about the Games as a Service model last year to be honest, but I actually really enjoyed having reasons to regularly log into my game even months after launch, even if it was just for 15 minutes or so.

joelsantos24
07-13-2018, 03:17 PM
Yeah, sometimes the official statements are slightly vague and when they say "weekly content", some may assume it's a full DLC pack.

TheGeekAssassin
07-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Regarding the weekly content- I'd imagine that it would be either something like Trials of the Gods, or a small quest.

Just in case it wasn't obvious, I wouldn't expect a new Curse of the Pharaohs every Tuesday. :p

But yeah, I was a little worried about the Games as a Service model last year to be honest, but I actually really enjoyed having reasons to regularly log into my game even months after launch, even if it was just for 15 minutes or so.

Yeah I figure for the most part it will be small things like Trials of the gods, Daily Nomads Bazaar type missions, and things like Skins and what not. That said for something like the trial of the gods perhaps there will be more than just 3 gods compared to Odyssey. I would also hope for something a little different as far as the formular. it was a neat concept in origins but all 3 gods were very similar in how they attacked you, i would like to see more variation between the gods if that is indeed the type of content we get.

TheGeekAssassin
07-13-2018, 07:21 PM
Well, it isn't the first time we have different locations, per se, although we always had those in the same time period. In AC1, we had Jerusalem, Acre, Damascus, Masyaf and the Kingdom (space in between and around the main cities). In AC2, we had several cities as well. Visiting different time periods in the same game, however, may only make sense in the context of the meta-story, or in the Assassin's struggle to find and gather information as well as artefacts. The notion is definitely appealing, that much is true.

This is very true. It would be interesting to travel to different locations in the same game again. And my personal interpretation of what was said in the interview was more along the lines that we would be going to different ereas as well as different locations. So to use Odyssey as an example, perhaps the main game is Greece circa 400BC, but One Story DLC takes us further back to the Battle or Thermopylae, Then we go to Persia and see a story DLC where Darius Assassinates Xerxes, Then We travel to Egypt or rome and are reintroduced to Bayek and Aya's story and how they are connected to the overal narative of Odyssey. This would be incredibly ambitious, but so were the story dlc's we got for Origins, especially the Curse of the Pharoehs. So this is how I interpret what Lionel was talking about. That said I could be completely missinterpreting it.

I'm not sure whether or not bringing Ezio or AltaÔr again, might be that beneficial, to both the series and the players/fans. Those games stand as some of the ultimate favourites to a very significant portion of the player-base, and it might not be adequate to revisit the same contexts or old characters.

This is a very fair point. IT is possible that there could be a complete disservice done to those characters by resurrecting them. But look at the forthcoming FF7 remake. I personally would love a remake of Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood with fixes and inclusins from other games. like being able to properly fast travel instead of having to go to the travel master, or whistling for your horse or whistling at a bad guy to attract them to come near you. But I honestly dont know if that would every happen. But seing Ezio in a small segment of a different game would make me happy.

This is where, I believe, Ubisoft began preparing the ground for Odyssey and possible future installments. Choices, options, multiple endings, and the whole "bending time and reality" concept, don't really appeal that much to me. I do agree with those fans who criticise Ubisoft for being too negligent with the series, and more specifically the mythology, to the point that it may be turning into a mythologically bankrupted series.

I completely agree with you. It does appear that the Legacy and the lore of Assassin's Creed is being mishandled and forgotten by Ubisoft. At this point there may be very little we can do to stop that from happening. I know this is a very near and dear subject for many AC fans. Hell, Rino the BOuncer has a webpage thecodex.network, that is attributed to the lore and the precursors and you can see the passion in his work and the reverence he has for this portion of Assassin's Creed. But we don't know exactly where they are going with the lore just yet. We may be pleasently surprised, or we may have our faith in them completely destroyed.

I think Ubisoft broke the record for the amount of different editions of a game, with Odyssey. I, myself, am not sure how many there are, anymore. I do agree with the opinion current that the games as services approach is destroying the games and the industry. As Sony keep proving with every single game released, people really value and give merit to deep and insightful stories and story-oriented content. When you provide a service, it's impossible to convey a meaningful storyline because you're inducing the players into hours and hours of simple world exploration, view-point synchronisation, treasure/artefact hunting, collecting resources for crafting or gear development, waves and waves of secondary missions and tasks, etc. Any story or narrative-experience, is irreparably diluted into hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Yeah I worry about where gaming is headed also. You have Publishers like EA who have flat out stated that single player games are dead. I myself have always been a huge fan of single player games. not htat i am antisocial but i have always had my bum handed to me when I play massive MP online games. I like the single player missions that used to come with FPS games but those seem to be getting relegated to the backburner as well. I feel like the service platform is just another way to wean us off of Single player experiences all together.

The episodical approach to Hitman was, more or less, accidental, I believe. The structure of Hitman 2 is already the conventional full game package. But, in my opinion, Hitman doesn't really resemble AC, or any other Ubisoft series, for that matter, in the sense that Hitman is a more linear experience, essentially propelled by the narrative structure. As a service, AC won't be founded on the story or narrative, and as it happens with so many other services, it's going to be pushed into the background, I think.

Yeah i may have presented that not quite right. I was not so much indicating that it would be like Hitman in theme or presentation, but more of the idea of the Episodic nature. Maybe a telltale game would be a better example or just the standard Release and DLC format but there will be maybe smaller initial games and more substantial DLC Release akin to the Curse of the Pharoahs DLC. If it is like Curse of the Pharoahs as far as size and story telling that may not be so bad if we got a couple of those per year to extend the life of the game. Something bigger would be nice though if we only get one big installment per hear instead of a new game. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

MageAquarius20
07-17-2018, 10:11 PM
This is very true. It would be interesting to travel to different locations in the same game again. And my personal interpretation of what was said in the interview was more along the lines that we would be going to different ereas as well as different locations. So to use Odyssey as an example, perhaps the main game is Greece circa 400BC, but One Story DLC takes us further back to the Battle or Thermopylae, Then we go to Persia and see a story DLC where Darius Assassinates Xerxes, Then We travel to Egypt or rome and are reintroduced to Bayek and Aya's story and how they are connected to the overal narative of Odyssey. This would be incredibly ambitious, but so were the story dlc's we got for Origins, especially the Curse of the Pharoehs. So this is how I interpret what Lionel was talking about. That said I could be completely missinterpreting it.

If so, then they would make relatively satisfying DLC's, but then again, they are just DLC's and won't change much about the game, i mean Jack the ripper wasn't all that thrilling.

This is a very fair point. IT is possible that there could be a complete disservice done to those characters by resurrecting them. But look at the forthcoming FF7 remake. I personally would love a remake of Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood with fixes and inclusins from other games. like being able to properly fast travel instead of having to go to the travel master, or whistling for your horse or whistling at a bad guy to attract them to come near you. But I honestly dont know if that would every happen. But seing Ezio in a small segment of a different game would make me happy.

I rather would enjoy a AC 1 remake, because this game gets the least attention from Ubisoft and would be due to it's amazing Plot, will easily attract Newcomers. AC 2 had already the Ezio Collection, i think it's enough. To travel: I prefer it if the entire Area around you turns into a corridor until the desired destination is recontructed without any screen going black.

I completely agree with you. It does appear that the Legacy and the lore of Assassin's Creed is being mishandled and forgotten by Ubisoft. At this point there may be very little we can do to stop that from happening. I know this is a very near and dear subject for many AC fans. Hell, Rino the BOuncer has a webpage thecodex.network, that is attributed to the lore and the precursors and you can see the passion in his work and the reverence he has for this portion of Assassin's Creed. But we don't know exactly where they are going with the lore just yet. We may be pleasently surprised, or we may have our faith in them completely destroyed.

I doubt that they will, the lore of AC is way too complicated for many people to follow and trying to find a way to write a plot that pleases everyone,so it was easier to give up making a decent AC plot and just turn it into a casual experience. Rino the bouncer could write an epic AC Trilogy covering the first Civ alone that could maybe surpass even the old AC games, heck i personally would try to retcon a lot of older stuff to fit it into a better narritive, but it will never happen and we have to admit defeat here, the age of Good story telling is long over.:(

IYeah I worry about where gaming is headed also. You have Publishers like EA who have flat out stated that single player games are dead. I myself have always been a huge fan of single player games. not htat i am antisocial but i have always had my bum handed to me when I play massive MP online games. I like the single player missions that used to come with FPS games but those seem to be getting relegated to the backburner as well. I feel like the service platform is just another way to wean us off of Single player experiences all together.

GoW is a game that took 5 years to be made and turns out, despite being a Single player game, it is IMMENSELY BETTER THAN CURRENTLY EVERY GAME THIS YEAR, so Electronic arts is just lying to everyone, even to themselves. And yeah i prefer single player games to MPG too, i was never really a fan of that idea, i always liked it playing alone.

Yeah i may have presented that not quite right. I was not so much indicating that it would be like Hitman in theme or presentation, but more of the idea of the Episodic nature. Maybe a telltale game would be a better example or just the standard Release and DLC format but there will be maybe smaller initial games and more substantial DLC Release akin to the Curse of the Pharoahs DLC. If it is like Curse of the Pharoahs as far as size and story telling that may not be so bad if we got a couple of those per year to extend the life of the game. Something bigger would be nice though if we only get one big installment per hear instead of a new game. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

A Episodic nature would also require it to be less serious in it's approach of story telling, since you can't always focus on the plot. COTP was a meh to me, on the one hand it has some interesting story telling, on the other it's pretty cliche, so it really isn't the greatest thing ever.

Vogue77
07-18-2018, 06:14 AM
Will this extra weekly content be free or you have to buy it as mini-dlcs from steamstore / in-game shop?

MnemonicSyntax
07-18-2018, 06:21 AM
Will this extra weekly content be free or you have to buy it as mini-dlcs from steamstore / in-game shop?

As far as I know, it will be free. But don't expect content as much as something more of an event. In Origins there was Trials of the Gods that are limited time a day you could fight three different gods. They gave items and such, but they were extremely short events. I'm talking like, ten minutes tops here.

They were fun, but repetitive. This is probably going to be the weekly content Ody will have, or something akin to it.

Vogue77
07-18-2018, 06:31 AM
Cool, maybe tho they will improve on it and expand some!

I really hope that shop items will be mainly cosmetics / boosters rather than in-game content like quests, new areas etc.

MnemonicSyntax
07-18-2018, 06:47 AM
Cool, maybe tho they will improve on it and expand some!

I really hope that shop items will be mainly cosmetics / boosters rather than in-game content like quests, new areas etc.

Origin's shop items were solely weapons/shields (which could be considered pay to win) or mounts/outfits ( purely cosmetic). None of it was new locations or quests with the exception of the actual DLCs, but those were expansions that were in many cases hours long.

joelsantos24
07-18-2018, 08:56 PM
This is very true. It would be interesting to travel to different locations in the same game again. And my personal interpretation of what was said in the interview was more along the lines that we would be going to different areas as well as different locations. So to use Odyssey as an example, perhaps the main game is Greece circa 400BC, but One Story DLC takes us further back to the Battle or Thermopylae, Then we go to Persia and see a story DLC where Darius Assassinates Xerxes, Then We travel to Egypt or rome and are reintroduced to Bayek and Aya's story and how they are connected to the overal narative of Odyssey. This would be incredibly ambitious, but so were the story dlc's we got for Origins, especially the Curse of the Pharoehs. So this is how I interpret what Lionel was talking about. That said I could be completely missinterpreting it.
Visiting different locations is incredibly appealing, no doubt. Some fans seem to wish for some way to connect Odyssey and Origins, but I don't think there're any problems with choosing to go further back than 40 B.C.. After all, the Order of the Ancients was created around 1300 B.C., so, there is plenty to approach and many stories to tell. In theory, at least, because the narrative structure doesn't seem to be Ubisoft's main concern.

The stories might not have been perfect, the games might not have been flawless, but the characters and the games remain as some of the most popular and revered by fans, nonetheless. To put it in a more simple manner, if it's good and the fans liked it, don't touch it again.

With that being said, I'd love a remake of AC1 and the Ezio trilogy. My last memory of that beloved trilogy, for instance, was precisely the remastered trilogy on PS4, and I didn't like it, at all. Visually speaking, the remaster was horrible, especially AC2. I remember playing those games on PS3, and the immersion was incredibly captivating. We're talking about the Middle Ages, so the only source of artificial light was fire, which means that the streets were illuminated by candle light and were therefore very dark. The original games were very dark during the night periods, and that contributed to the immersion, but the remasters were too bright. In AC2, the buildings were almost luminescent, especially the Duomo. Brotherhood had a horrifying filter, for example. Overall, it was a horrible experience, personally. I just wanted the platinum trophy and then I sold it.

Well, there isn't anything we can do, besides choosing not to buy the games.

Yeah I worry about where gaming is headed also. You have Publishers like EA who have flat out stated that single player games are dead. I myself have always been a huge fan of single player games. not htat i am antisocial but i have always had my bum handed to me when I play massive MP online games. I like the single player missions that used to come with FPS games but those seem to be getting relegated to the backburner as well. I feel like the service platform is just another way to wean us off of Single player experiences all together.
The single player games aren't dead, quite the opposite, actually. Microsoft and some publishers, just keep promoting that lie because they invested everything into that path.

Ok , so you just meant the episodical approach of IO Interactive towards Hitman. I misunderstood, then. I'm sorry. ;)

Swailing
07-20-2018, 01:41 PM
The whole industry seems very confused about what "games as a service" is supposed to mean. It makes sense for something like No Man's Sky; you can keep bolting on new features because the game world is the universe. You could do it with a sports game like FIFA or Madden, and keep the video game as close to the real world sport as possible, and also add gameplay/cosmetic improvements, campaign stories, and so on. Your Destinies, your Mass Effects; these could probably do it. The important point is that the product doesn't just extend; it improves, and a New Game three years from now will feel dramatically more rich than it did on release.

Most games can't, and AC really can't: not yet. It has to move on each time to a new theme, a new gameplay model. Of course, we'll keep dreaming of the day when the game feels as limitless as the Animus does in the fiction: when we'll patch our player character into the Animus and think, "Where do I want to go today?"; when a story could require us to unearth the true resting place of an artefact, and rather than Rebecca choosing the time period and locations for us, that we could be the detective and find the trail ourselves. But that requires massive improvements in broadband provision, one way or another. Either we have giant games requiring a 1TB/2TB install, or we don't install anything at all and play it streaming from a server.

Origins was a really nice game for providing more to do after the game was over, but the real gem was the 2nd story DLC. If that keeps happening, it will feel very nakedly like "more to do", and nobody like chores, nor extension more than enrichment.

MnemonicSyntax
07-20-2018, 05:07 PM
The whole industry seems very confused about what "games as a service" is supposed to mean. It makes sense for something like No Man's Sky; you can keep bolting on new features because the game world is the universe. You could do it with a sports game like FIFA or Madden, and keep the video game as close to the real world sport as possible, and also add gameplay/cosmetic improvements, campaign stories, and so on. Your Destinies, your Mass Effects; these could probably do it. The important point is that the product doesn't just extend; it improves, and a New Game three years from now will feel dramatically more rich than it did on release.

Most games can't, and AC really can't: not yet. It has to move on each time to a new theme, a new gameplay model. Of course, we'll keep dreaming of the day when the game feels as limitless as the Animus does in the fiction: when we'll patch our player character into the Animus and think, "Where do I want to go today?"; when a story could require us to unearth the true resting place of an artefact, and rather than Rebecca choosing the time period and locations for us, that we could be the detective and find the trail ourselves. But that requires massive improvements in broadband provision, one way or another. Either we have giant games requiring a 1TB/2TB install, or we don't install anything at all and play it streaming from a server.

Origins was a really nice game for providing more to do after the game was over, but the real gem was the 2nd story DLC. If that keeps happening, it will feel very nakedly like "more to do", and nobody like chores, nor extension more than enrichment.

Yves has been a big fan of cloud computing for awhile now, and combined with the recent report of "multiple time periods", your thoughts aren't that far off it seems.

AmaterasuCALI
07-22-2018, 02:24 AM
I want to see the goddess of love herself APHRODITE and flying mounts would be nice like pegasus and griffins. DO NOT SAY THIS IS too fantasy for AC BECAUSE IF U PLAYED AC: ORIGINS THEY MADE U FIGHT A ALLIGATOR GOD NAMED SOBEK SO...... ANYthing IS PossiBLe so make it happen for the fans Ubisoft!

ninja4hire10
07-23-2018, 05:16 PM
"Of course, we'll keep dreaming of the day when the game feels as limitless as the Animus does in the fiction: when we'll patch our player character into the Animus and think, "Where do I want to go today?"

Swaling, that could and would be a dream come true. The possibilities, they boggle the brain. Wow.

The games-as-service model, if used the way Ubi may be hinting at, could extend the playability of game for years, like someone else said above. Meaning we're treated to a new fully fleshed out game every two years or so while sizeable playable DLC for the current game tides us over till new game time both is and could be a very real possibility.

For what it's worth, the idea gets my vote.

joelsantos24
07-23-2018, 06:24 PM
The games-as-service model, if used the way Ubi may be hinting at, could extend the playability of game for years, like someone else said above. Meaning we're treated to a new fully fleshed out game every two years or so while sizeable playable DLC for the current game tides us over till new game time both is and could be a very real possibility.

For what it's worth, the idea gets my vote.
Playability, replayability or replay value potential, aren't in the games but rather in the gamers. Nothing, by definition, can keep a player from replaying a game over and over again. Nothing but themselves, that is.

The fact that Ubisoft might be "done with finite experiences", means that they're going to keep pushing their typically unfinished, unpolished multiplayer games, with decreasing regard for the storylines and narratives. The company now aims at providing several smaller stories, instead of one major story or narrative sequence, which, in the opinion of Ubisoft's vice-president, Lionel Raynau, players usually "finish and then forget" (https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/03/ubisoft-is-finished-with-finite-experiences/).

Many streamers and YouTubers have already addressed this article and the way how Ubisoft's executives seem to be utterly disconnected with the reality of the video-game industry. First, Sony keeps proving them wrong. Second, as we can conclude from that fact, gamers want good and compelling stories. Furthermore, what gamer plays a game with a great story and then "forgets all about it"? Stories become forgettable, only if there's very little emphasis on the narrative. Stories are not forgettable by definition.

By Ubisoft's standards, stories are, admittedly, somewhat repetitive and insipid, and there's little margin for actual character growth and development. Back in 2016, the company's chief creative officer, Serge HascoŽt, said that their plan was to include less narrative elements in their games (https://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2016/11/15/dans-les-prochains-jeux-video-ubisoft-il-y-aura-de-moins-en-moins-de-narration_5031610_4408996.html). So, in truth, they're not including less narrative because "stories are forgettable or players aren't interested in those", but rather because Ubisoft is mainly interested in the perspective of games as services. In ordinary services, stories in general and narratives are pushed all the way towards the background and feel almost incidental. So, in order to justify and legitimise their business decisions, Ubisoft is propagating these notions that "gamers don't care about stories, so we're leaving those behind".

This game as service thing Ubi talks about is just a excuse to go the multiplayer route like For Honor, The Division, etc, investing a lot less resources in narrative and coming up with a generic story to justify the game and maximize profit with those lousy loot boxes.
Yes, that's a valid generalisation on games as services: minimum effort applied into production and maximum profit gained from the base games, DLC's and loot boxes.

I've already said before that I'm skipping Odyssey, since it doesn't interest me the least. However, I'm going to wait for the next instalment and see how it's going to be presented. If it's yet another full RPG service, then I'll move on definitively.