PDA

View Full Version : Berserker Assistance Please

HazelrahFirefly
07-12-2018, 02:23 AM
Playing him I mean.

Instead of taking a break I decided to try something crazy and unlock the Berserker. That's right, I've never played the hero even once outside of minor practicing to determine 'nah' during S2.

I.... just don't get it. It doesn't feel like the Berserker can do much. Attacks feel slow and jittery, and the deflect being grab only is a huge turn off for me.

I'm going to watch some videos when I get a chance, but in the meantime i figured I would seek some advice from the typically helpful forum warriors.

Knight_Raime
07-12-2018, 03:00 AM
Against a competent turtle you're forced to whiff to get into your combo. Strong blocking still shuts out his neutral play. It's just with the faster feinted into lights and the addition of his unblockables means defensive play is just harder.

That being said you're going to need to get used to his deflect. Ignoring it is a huge downside to his kit. It's not nearly as good as it used to be anymore because you can't whiff recovery cancel lights into a dodge anymore for deflects. but it's reward is still strong.

There's a neat little "advanced" input that lets you look like you mega delayed an attack which throws off people's parry timing. The timing on it is really tight though so it's hard to get. But basically you get a light attack out. then you heavy in that same direction. Then you feint that heavy and do an opposite side heavy right after. If done right it makes it look like your character almost did a 360 degree turn with one heavy.

Beyond that one thing I do with him that I also do with raider is get aggressive and in their face and swap between raw lights and raw heavies. And since berzerker gets faster lights from neutral from feinting a heavy you also have that going for you. meaning the person will likely get frustrated and attack you. Which is a win win for you. Because you'll either trade with armor or you'll just feint and parry. This really only works if you're not fighting a calm and patient player. I usually only pull it out if it's clear the enemy is flustered.

You can also try feinting a heavy into the same side light/heavy or opposite light/heavy side. Once you get the hang of it you can constantly land a quick light and then threaten with top unblockable but then feint it and switch to a different side and either let a light or heavy fly. I usually do that 2 or 3 times before letting an unblockable through.

Splats give a top heavy. and OOS parries and throw give you double same side heavy with the ability to threaten with an unblockable mix up. Zerk is one of the few heros who has a unique parry attack that's done automatically if you input an attack too soon after a parry. If you can get the timing right and delay your input you can instead do a zone from a heavy parry.

I can't really give you advice on how to use backwards zone. I've never managed to use it effectively myself.

HazelrahFirefly
07-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the pointers. Some really good stuff there. Hopefully I can apply it.

I may not even stick with Berserker, but now I can at least use his kit to find out haha.

Knight_Raime
07-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all the pointers. Some really good stuff there. Hopefully I can apply it.

I may not even stick with Berserker, but now I can at least use his kit to find out haha.

Zerk imo was very fun to play and still is despite missing some unique quirks about him.
Also I forgot to mention that due to his speed of attacks in combos delaying feints in said combo isn't really doable. If you're planning to feint a side heavy at all mid combo you have to feint immediately after inputting the heavy. Lots of fledgling zerks mess this up.

Delaying feints only works with the unblockable heavy finishers and the neutral heavies.

HazelrahFirefly
07-12-2018, 06:19 PM
I watched Illest Truth's guide and that also really helped to see some of it in action.

Knight_Raime
07-12-2018, 06:40 PM
I watched Illest Truth's guide and that also really helped to see some of it in action.

I've seen his name on youtube but never watched him. But if he helps then he helps. Good luck my guy.

HazelrahFirefly
07-12-2018, 09:18 PM
I've seen his name on youtube but never watched him. But if he helps then he helps. Good luck my guy.

First time I've watched him. He came up as the first click on YT so I gave it a shot. Have others you might recommend?

Knight_Raime
07-13-2018, 01:57 AM
First time I've watched him. He came up as the first click on YT so I gave it a shot. Have others you might recommend?

I mean i'd recommend Jbirse's guides. But idk if she made an updated zerker one. Not to mention she doesn't play anymore. And doesn't have plans on returning last time I heard her talk about for honor on stream. Only other people I watch really is Mege, faraam, and freeze. But unsure if any of them make hero specific guides. I do think Havok is pretty good though so if you see any guides from him i'd check him out.

HazelrahFirefly
07-13-2018, 02:24 AM
I love(d) jbirse...but yeah, she's done and barely even touched the reworks, if at all. I also am a big Mege and Faraam fan lol, the latter from Souls.

Knight_Raime
07-13-2018, 03:07 AM
I love(d) jbirse...but yeah, she's done and barely even touched the reworks, if at all. I also am a big Mege and Faraam fan lol, the latter from Souls.

Yeah she said that she would probably come back if they made some significant changes. I assume she was meaning to the base game.
I've heard of both of those guys pre for honor but never watched them.

SwellChemosabe
07-13-2018, 01:38 PM
it seems most of what there is to learn is already covered. I'd also recommend that if you're opponent is out of stamina and you manage to get them on the ground you should do the following: Side heavy, side heavy, unblockable heavy feint, wait for the parry, and repeat. usually kills them dead if their health isn't already low in which case you'd kill them sooner. manage your stamina really well.

If you're going to play dominion/tribute or elimination/skirmish where gear score is a factor, i recommend two builds: The glass canon and the marathon man. Have a build focused solely on damage. you can do as much as 70 damage with an unblockable heavy if not more with a good damage build. The marathon man focuses more on the long game, putting as much as you can into stamina cost reduction, exhaustion recovery, and stamina regeneration. This'll help you better with the feint game. The less stamina it cost to throw out attacks the longer you can keep a chain going and the more feints you can do in a fight. If you can find yourself a good balance between those two things it'd be a good start.