PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Ace

Bolt40
12-13-2004, 12:12 PM
This morning I watched the debut of a 4 hr documentary on the RAF in the Battle of Britain called 'Spitfire Ace ' on the History Channel .
It was one of the better shows on the battle with footage & stories from pilots of both sides of the conflict ..interwined with 4 modern pilots who were vying for a chance to see what it was like to fly a real Spitfire ..they were trained like the pilots who flew back then with nominal time on the Tiger Moths & those that made it got to move on to tryout in a 2 seater Spitfire . I highly recommend this one ..the topper was Pete Brothers taking off in the Spit some 60yrs later & flying it like it was yesterday .. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Bolt40
12-13-2004, 12:12 PM
This morning I watched the debut of a 4 hr documentary on the RAF in the Battle of Britain called 'Spitfire Ace ' on the History Channel .
It was one of the better shows on the battle with footage & stories from pilots of both sides of the conflict ..interwined with 4 modern pilots who were vying for a chance to see what it was like to fly a real Spitfire ..they were trained like the pilots who flew back then with nominal time on the Tiger Moths & those that made it got to move on to tryout in a 2 seater Spitfire . I highly recommend this one ..the topper was Pete Brothers taking off in the Spit some 60yrs later & flying it like it was yesterday .. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

ashley2005
12-13-2004, 12:22 PM
hasnt spitfire ace been on discovery wings ....or is that something with the samew name ?

oh yes it is the programme that was on discovery wings where the guy gets a chance to have 10 hours training in a spit http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif got them on video i recomend watching this though as it was really good

Hurribomber
12-13-2004, 12:42 PM
There's a new series running in the UK now but this time it's bombers and the chance to fly a Lancaster. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

piloteer81
12-13-2004, 04:01 PM
My mate was the second to last applicant and got to fly the spitfire. He's at RAF Valley now training on the Hawk and had been at Linton on Ouse training on the Tucano which is where I saw him last. Had a great time apparently! I'm applying to the Fleet Air Arm.

Bolt40
12-13-2004, 05:09 PM
I watched both Wings & History Channel pretty regularly , and this series was made in 2004 ,so yes today was the debut along with alot of footage and interviews I havent seen ..
Ironically of the 4 pilots ..2 were RAF and the others were civilians..the winner was a pilot with the Manchester Flying Club. According to the tester ..he had the most 'feel' for the Spit. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

anthonyl59
12-13-2004, 05:12 PM
I watched one recently about a British fight pilot who saw a bomber heading for Buckingham Palace. He had no ammo left so he used his plane (a Hurricane I think) as a weapon and flew his plane into the bomber. The bomber went down and he bailed out. Now the interesting thing is someone on the ground was filming all this.

A few years ago some guy saw the old footage and decided to see what happened to the downed Hurricane. So he used the films footage to plot a trajectory to where it crashed. He did some sonar tests around an area in downtown London and lo and behold they found something.

They dug up the road and found the planes engine. Now it gets real interesting. The guy whos plane it was..IS STILL ALIVE. So they invite him down to the dig and he arrives just as they found the joystick! So man and machine were re-united after all these years. They verified it was his plane by the tag bearing the engine number.

I was nearly in tears.

Nanuk66
12-13-2004, 05:23 PM
They actually had the dig live (i think on channel 5) over the summer just gone.

And from what i remember of it the pilot who flew the Hurricane was standing right there when they dug it up but seemed to be more interested in looking at the female presenter of the show than the digging up of his old plane!

You can take a man out the RAF but u cant take the RAF out the man! Tally Ho lads!

Oilburner_TAW
12-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Yes, they talk to this guy in the "spitfire ace" documentary/program/whatever you call it. I think he was in the 3rd of the 4 episodes. The other interesting thing was that another pilot said when he was cruising he always flew with some rudder trim so that his plane was "skidding" across the sky. He said it save him more than once becase when someone was diving on him they would mistake (by a few yards) the actual direction his plane was flying..very neat stuff.

Oilburner_TAW
12-13-2004, 05:24 PM
Yes, they talked to the pilot who rammed the bomber over London in the "spitfire ace" documentary/program/whatever you call it. I think he was in the 3rd of the 4 episodes. The other interesting thing was that another pilot said when he was cruising he always flew with some rudder trim so that his plane was "skidding" across the sky. He said it saved him more than once because when someone was diving on him they would mistake (by a few yards) the actual direction his plane was flying..very neat stuff.

codeseven7
12-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Ya, just watched it today, a must see. I was really shocked by how many RAF pilots got their face and/or fingers burned off during combat, nasty looking footage.

codeseven

wavz
12-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Was just wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase the shows. I watched them (Scrambled because of poor reception on my direct tv) and they looked awesome. I'm a big Spitfire fan!! Thanks

Bearcat99
12-13-2004, 07:55 PM
That was an awesome show.... why they put that on at that hour I dont know. I had to go to work so I couldnt watch the whole thing. I stumbled onto it.. when the second hour was up I thought it was over... needless to say i was quite pleased when it contunued. I like the first hand pilot accounts.

BuzzU
12-13-2004, 08:00 PM
I just finished watching it. It was pretty good. It sure makes you want to jump in the Spit.