PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Ubi hosting server:

Brilhasti_
12-21-2004, 05:57 AM
Ok the hosting server was "taken down for maintenance" on the 17th. Now all of a sudden Ubi have pulled the plug and we can no longer get access to the New Dawn Ascended website, just after we have gone through a big merger with Faction Issues. We have had no notification or warning they were going to pull the plug. I spent literally weeks designing that site, along with Siaka who has taken it over. We've lost all our forums, we cannot get access through the FTP link they have put up either. There is still a message on the EQLoft homepage saying the hosting server is down for maintenace.

We have now been totally left in the lurch with no website or forum.

Just what kind of mickey mouse operation is this? It appears you have no regard whatsoever for the community.

At least an explanation/apology would be a start.

GM's where are you?

Brilhasti - Absolutely furious Wizard - New Dawn Ascended

Brilhasti_
12-21-2004, 05:57 AM
Ok the hosting server was "taken down for maintenance" on the 17th. Now all of a sudden Ubi have pulled the plug and we can no longer get access to the New Dawn Ascended website, just after we have gone through a big merger with Faction Issues. We have had no notification or warning they were going to pull the plug. I spent literally weeks designing that site, along with Siaka who has taken it over. We've lost all our forums, we cannot get access through the FTP link they have put up either. There is still a message on the EQLoft homepage saying the hosting server is down for maintenace.

We have now been totally left in the lurch with no website or forum.

Just what kind of mickey mouse operation is this? It appears you have no regard whatsoever for the community.

At least an explanation/apology would be a start.

GM's where are you?

Brilhasti - Absolutely furious Wizard - New Dawn Ascended

Zigsbad
12-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Edited

Aoun_
12-21-2004, 07:54 AM
I have managed to get a copy of our web site from the FTP server, but it did not include our forum messages. We have a lot of research, strategies and discussion on our forums that we really don't want to lose, and I'd appreciate a response as to when/if we can get a copy of them.

I have to say this really is very poor customer service to drop the guild website service with no warning at all. It does not inspire any confidence in Ubisoft.

Aoun
Guild Leader - New Dawn Ascended

Brilhasti_
12-21-2004, 08:28 AM
This has to be the most disgraceful comment I have ever heard!

"Be assured that we have done all that is in our power to help our customers transfer their data in an efficient and rapid manner"

Oh really? By taking the server down without warning, then while it's "down for maintenance" announcing (again without warning) that we are no longer to be hosted, THEN giving us a link to an FTP site that is unavailable?

I can guess exactly what's going to be said "We hosted your website free of charge blah blah blah... no right to complain blah blah blah" While I and the rest of us no doubt appreciate the hosting you have provided, to pull the plug without warning is absolutely disgraceful and is yet another kick in the teeth from Ubi-soft.

It also seems an amazing coincidence that the EQ Loft site appeared to have been hacked or infected (This site is defaced!!! NeverEverNoSanity WebWorm generation 17.)right about the same time the hosting was dropped.

Sharodika
12-21-2004, 08:51 AM
Greetings,
I am asking for clarification on the method, if any, to recover the forum messages. If you are having difficulties recovering the data from the given link, you can connect via your own FTP using your user name and password.

Aoun_
12-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the response Sharodika. The problem is, as far as I can see, that the forum messages are stored in a MySQL or similar back end database. I can see the SQL fetch statements in the PHP pages I have downloaded.

The website backup provided on the ftp link gives me all the html pages and the forum structure (folders, PHP front end, etc), but it does not include the data from the message forum that is stored in the database - the messages, users, groups, permissions, etc. To recover that we need a database backup, or even better a phpBB forum backup.

Thanks.

Aoun

(Edit - spelling)

Haana
12-21-2004, 10:07 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sharodika:
Greetings,
I am asking for clarification on the method, if any, to recover the forum messages. If you are having difficulties recovering the data from the given link, you can connect via your own FTP using your user name and password. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

all well and good blah blah blah but where's the explaination of why this happened and the apology etc, this is a disgusting way to treat your customers paying or non paying, you have completely ignored this, WHY ffs!!!!

Sharodika
12-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Ok the mySQL data has been restored to each of the appropriate folders, this should permit you to retrieve the data now.

Aoun_
12-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Many thanks for sorting that out. I am downloading it now.

Brilhasti_
12-22-2004, 02:08 AM
Much appreciated Sharodika.

Do we get an explanation about the hosting? I notice Ubi are still advertising their hosting service on the EQ Loft website...

dwcheeseman
12-22-2004, 05:23 AM
Can I just clairfy that the user/password means the one previously used to maintain the site?

And can you confirm how long the data will be available? The person who maintained ours is possibly away for the Xmas period ...

GM-Erdrix
12-22-2004, 06:40 AM
Greetings.

I understand many of you are upset about this sudden turn of event, but rest assured we did all in our power in order to maintain the web hosting program. Unfortunately due to technical issues, it was impossible to do so.

There are no conspiracies and the server did suffer from technical issues toward the end of its life; it would be a lie to say it had nothing to do with the decision that was just taken.

Hopefully this clears some of the questions you all must have.

Again, we apologise and thank you for your understanding.

PS: You can now retrieve a mySQL database dump from your usual folder.

Aoun_
12-22-2004, 06:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dwcheeseman:
Can I just clairfy that the user/password means the one previously used to maintain the site? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I used to get in to ours with no problem. I hope you manage to get yours successfully.

Aoun

dwcheeseman
12-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Unfortunately those with access are away at the moment so who knows http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: Never mind, we are sorted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Brilhasti_
12-22-2004, 08:20 AM
So by technical issues you mean http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4117711.stm ?

bompoi
12-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Arghhh!! What a fantastic time for it all to come down too... I'm on trial for Anceint Flames and have had no internet connected for almost over a week now. And I have no way of contacting any of the officers to explain why I am not online...

This looks very poor from Ubisoft, them being such a big company and all. First we get the population of the servers hitting rock bottom then we lose our hosting system.

Have there been any help or a post from an admin helping any of the guilds to find free web space to get there site back up?

gocus
12-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Of course they are milking the old cow dry.
Then when you try to have a public debate, all that is hapening is locking the post or erasing them.
So make a decision, close the server or let us move. Anyway, this will help me decide not to buy ubi products in the future.

GM-Erdrix
12-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Gocus - you keep bringing this subject in all the threads you touch. This is about the hosting servers going down and it has nothing to do with the game server situation or the number of subscribers we have.

The thread was asking for an explanation as to why the service was cancelled and it was given; your other concerns were answered many (many) times by both Sharodika and Tartharon: we do not know, I wish we did but at the moment it is not in our hands.

Thank you.

gocus
12-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Dear GM,

of course I complain, don't you think, we have reason to complains.

Those complains are not against you but against your management who may be doing some 'brainstorming' or who doesn't care.

So please forward them all the complains, maybe it will help them decide something.

And please, let us use this forum as a mean of discussion, there is no need to lock or erase posts like you did those days.

In the meanwhile, I wish you a merry Xmas.

dwcheeseman
01-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Has anyone managed to re-use the datafiles that were dumped? If so please reply to my post in the Technical section. Thanks.