PDA

View Full Version : Mentors Guild Community Discussion - The Music of Assassin's Creed

SixKeys
07-09-2018, 05:49 AM
Hello everyone. We allowed our last poll - first impressions of AC: Odyssey - to run longer than usual, since people understandably had a lot of new things to take in and discuss. We hope to return to our regular weekly schedule from here on out. :)

MAKING SURE THE FANS ARE HEARD

As part of a set of new Community Initiatives, we'd like to give opportunities to the community to give more direct feedback, and will now host weekly discussion on specific topics that relate the Assassin's Creed Franchise. These community discussions will take place on the AC subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/), the Official Ubisoft Forums (https://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/27-Assassin-s-Creed), and on the Mentors Guild Twitter (https://twitter.com/mentorsguild).
These discussions will be open for 1 week. The threads and responses will be shared directly with the Assassin's Creed Community Development team, who will then pass that info on to concerned parties within Ubisoft itself.

While the Mentors get opportunities to speak directly with the creators of Assassinís Creed and frequently communicate with the Community Development Team, this is not the case for every fan. We want to change that. We want fans to have their voices heard directly, in the same ways the Mentors do. These activities are a step towards meeting this goal. If you want Ubisoft to see what you have to say, this is the place to do it.

THIS WEEK'S TOPIC

Topic: The Music of Assassin's Creed

Info: Music has traditionally been an important part of the immersive nature of the AC games. The main theme for AC: Odyssey (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k49grRCaDmk) was recently released, giving fans a first taste of the soundscape of the latest entry in the franchise. We thought this a good opportunity to ask for your impressions on Odyssey's soundscape, and your thoughts on the music of AC in general.

QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

-Based on what we've heard, how do you feel about the music of AC: Odyssey so far?

-Do you like having "Ezio's Family" as the series' main theme? Or would you prefer each protagonist to have their own theme?

-How do you feel about ambient music? Do you prefer silence, constant background music, or contextual cues (certain actions triggering music)?

-What has been your personal favorite AC soundtrack?

-Do you like having new composers with each new title? Or should the series have a dedicated composer, like certain other iconic video game series? (Think Nobuo Uematsu for Final Fantasy, Koji Kondo for The Legend of Zelda, etc.)

-If you could choose any composer for a future title, who would you choose?

REMEMBER:

While these discussions are meant to allow for honest and raw feedback directly from the community, the best way to ensure your voice is heard is to be constructive - be critical of the process, not the people. Be specific with your criticisms and suggest tangible solutions and improvements. We hope to see active participation and that this will be a successful way of getting the fans' voices truly heard!

ProdiGurl
07-09-2018, 10:26 AM
-Based on what we've heard, how do you feel about the music of AC: Odyssey so far?
Good, fitting to the Location of Greece - but not an immediate favorite as a few others have been. That can change as you play as the music grows on you through the game.

-Do you like having "Ezio's Family" as the series' main theme? Or would you prefer each protagonist to have their own theme?
Each having their own theme, esp. when different Locations are involved where it may not fit that setting.

-How do you feel about ambient music? Do you prefer silence, constant background music, or contextual cues (certain actions triggering music)?
Ambient music in AC is critical to the game - I noticed it immediately when I started ACIII. The game felt practically dead without it.
Constant background music

AC Brotherhood - I actually bought some of that music on MP3

-Do you like having new composers with each new title? Or should the series have a dedicated composer, like certain other iconic video game series? (Think Nobuo Uematsu for Final Fantasy, Koji Kondo for The Legend of Zelda, etc.)
Depends - if it's one I like alot, then dedicated composer. Otherwise, new ones each game.

Jesper Kyd -he was the best imo

cawatrooper9
07-09-2018, 02:25 PM

I've really only heard Eagle Bearer so far, and I loved it. From what I've heard, the other track is very different, but I could see that variety being a good thing.

Personally, I don't love that Ezio's theme has bee co-opted for the series as a whole, but I've enjoyed several of the riffs on it.

I know ambient music is super important for a lot of people, and for that reason I support it, but personally it's not that big of a deal for me.

The Revelations theme

That's a great question. I'd like to see the series try and stick with a single composer (insert "bring back Jesper Kyd" campaign here) just to try and give the music more of its own identity. If that was the case, I don't think we'd need to rely as heavily on Ezio's family to make the music themes seem more cohesive- they'd just naturally be so.

Well, I'd obviously love to have Kyd back.

Clint Mansell did a great job with ME3.

I'd also love to see what Michael Giacchino could do for the series. That man's a genius.

As always, thanks Six!

Kiroku
07-09-2018, 03:18 PM
QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

Since there is only one track released yet its hard to judge for the whole music in the game. But based on what we can listen to its okay. I would love to have the music from AC2, ACB and ACR back. Not because of Ezio etc. but because the music of the whole AC2 trilogy had a great mysticism flair like in Monterrigioni and especially venice.. I loved the venice musis because it fit perfectly to snkeaing over roofs for example. We need more goosebump music like the Ezio's Family theme.

Each protagonist should have its own unique theme but as we know music is really diverse when it comes to what we feel when we hear it. Witcher 3 did the same when coming back to Kaer Morhen by the way. It feels like home after such a long journey and even if ezios theme came at the start of AC2 it somewhat had the same feeling plus the sadness when thinking what happened to ezios family.

I really love constant background music as I said above like for example when playing in venice in AC2. Of course it should switch the tracks depending on what happens in the game like going for quests or being in combat. But while exploring its really nice. I liked the music when using the boat in origins btw and marked the "frequently" option in origins regarding how many times ambient music should appear in the game.

Assassin's Creed 2 OST / Jesper Kyd - Night Mission In Venice (Track 28) perfect for stealth gameplay
Assassin's Creed 2 OST / Jesper Kyd - Venice Rooftops (Track 02) perfect for exploring
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood OST - City of Rome (Track 02) perfect for exploring

I would prefer one composer over new ones every new game because if a person once did a good job at titles from the past he has a special connection to the game itself and knows perfectly which kind of music fits the most for each aspect in the game.

Jesper Kyd for every future AC title coming out. Period. He did a perfect job with AC1, AC2, ACB, and ACR! I would love to have him back for the series..

AnimusLover
07-09-2018, 03:23 PM

From what Iíve heard so far, the contextual music e.g. combat, synchronisation viewpoints etc sound great. They perfectly capture the Greek setting whilst still being pleasing to the ear. Canít wait to hear more. However, I am disappointed to know that, once again, there is no non-contextual ambient music which is a shame considering how good the in-game soundtrack sounds. Also, I have to be honest and say Iím not keen on the main theme ďEagle BearerĒ as I think it sounds generic and derivative. Itís probably the weakest main theme of any AC title.

Absolutely not and I would prefer each protagonist to have their own theme. "Ezio's Family" is so synonymous with the Ezio character that it feels totally out of place in any other AC game. It makes me cringe whenever I hear it in a game that does not feature Ezio. Score music is designed to accentuate a moment or character. The reason why a soundtrack elicits emotions in the listener is because we associate it with characters, moments or scenes. Jesper Kyd created his ACII music with these elements in mind. Thus, when you divorce a score from these elements the impact is lost. ďEzioís FamilyĒ was never designed to be the Assassinís Creed theme; this was done retroactively so it sounds very awkward and out of place. I feel nothing when I hear it now.

I want CONSTANT background music i.e. non-contextual music and contextual cues just like they used to do with AC1 and the Ezio trilogy. Riding/climbing through the world with nothing but NPC dialogue and animal sounds makes the world feel empty and is very bizarre for an open world historical fantasy action game. If this was a modern setting like GTA or Watch Dogs it would make sense but not for Assassinís Creed. Non-contextual score music is like a second character to these sorts of games, it gives it an identity.

Assassinís Creed II. It's beautiful, CONSTANT and perfectly captures the mood of its setting and protagonist. That crescendo in ďA Tour Of VeniceĒ as youíre scaling a buildingÖ <3
To be fair, most Assassin's Creed games have beautiful music, Unity and Syndicate had some lovely moments but there simply wasn't enough of it because any and all music was situational.

Different composers for different titles for the simple reason that people bring their own unique qualities. As much as I like Jesper Kyd, he had a very distinct style and if you kept him forever the music would get samey. Syndicate has a very good soundtrack that instantly makes me think of Jacob and Evie. It sounds so different to anything that has come before it and thatís only possible because you got a completely different composer. So I would say youíre doing a good job in this regard.

Hans Zimmer or Junkie XL.

SixKeys
07-10-2018, 02:21 AM
My personal thoughts:

Based on what we've heard, how do you feel about the music of AC: Odyssey so far?

I've only listened to the main theme and I like it so far. It actually reminds me of some Jesper Kyd tracks, like "Venice Escape" and "Florence Tarantella".

Do you like having "Ezio's Family" as the series' main theme? Or would you prefer each protagonist to have their own theme?

I like the approach the past few games have taken, where each game has a variation of "Ezio's Family" and a unique theme.

How do you feel about ambient music? Do you prefer silence, constant background music, or contextual cues (certain actions triggering music)?

Prefer constant music, but I also like the AC1/Origins approach where you will have occasional bouts of silence, then the music starts up again.

What has been your personal favorite AC soundtrack?

AC1 and ACB.

Do you like having new composers with each new title? Or should the series have a dedicated composer, like certain other iconic video game series? (Think Nobuo Uematsu for Final Fantasy, Koji Kondo for The Legend of Zelda, etc.)

Honestly I wouldn't mind having Jesper Kyd as the series' dedicated composer, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

If you could choose any composer for a future title, who would you choose?

Jesper Kyd. https://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/tongue.png If we can't have him, Brian Tyler (AC4) has been my second favorite composer of the ones we've had.

RVSage
07-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Based on what we've heard, how do you feel about the music of AC: Odyssey so far?

I like the main theme, feels pretty unique.

Ezio's family as the name suggests, always was only Ezio's music. I always preferred each protagonist have his/her own music, Edward's music in Black Flag is a great example of it.

Fitting ambient music, like in AC2-Brotherhood enriches the experience.

Difficult to pick Top 3

1. Venice rooftops - ac2-acb
2. FightClub - ac3
3. Stealing a brig/buccaneers - Ac4 black flag

I always like freshness, in every iteration, had that not been the case, we would never have got Brian Tyler following Jesper Kyd. They are all brilliant in their own ways.

Ramin Djawadi

cawatrooper9
07-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Ramin Djawadi

YES

He does good work in Game of Thrones, but his stuff in Westworld is phenomenal.

Not sure how feasible it would be, but I'd totally love to see him join the Brotherhood.

ProdiGurl
07-10-2018, 07:42 PM
. . and wouldn't Westworld (or Futureworld) from the 70's be an awesome video game title -
I think alot could be done with those

Anykeyer
07-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Its good but nothing mindblowing so far.

Each game should have its own distinct theme. Tho I would like an occasional tribute (but not a direct remix) to ezio's family, just not as a main theme. IMO Origins handled this very well.

Constant music that reacts to whats going on screen is the best. Something calm and quiet when exploring, more epic when reaching vistas, battle themes that reflect the importance and difficulty of the fight, and preferably react to current player status (low health etc). And ofc different music for different locations adding to the mood.

AC 3, 4, Origins and Brotherhood are tied for 1st place.

Something in between, Same era/protagonist games should difinitely stick to the same composer. But otherwise no preference.

see "personal favorite AC soundtrack" composers
+ Inon Zur (Dragon Age, Fallout)

RVSage
07-12-2018, 06:03 AM
YES

He does good work in Game of Thrones, but his stuff in Westworld is phenomenal.

Not sure how feasible it would be, but I'd totally love to see him join the Brotherhood.

Yes, he has been very good in Westworld, GoT and Person of Interest, his covers are brilliant, He will definitely give us some great ambient music and themes

cawatrooper9
07-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Yes, he has been very good in Westworld, GoT and Person of Interest, his covers are brilliant, He will definitely give us some great ambient music and themes

Yeah, I absolutely love his covers, especially the subtle ones. I almost didn't even recognize his version of C.R.E.A.M.

I didn't know he did Person of Interest, too. Definitely another reason on the growing list of why I should check that show out.

Swailing
07-13-2018, 01:46 AM
A tricky one, this.

I really can't judge Odyssey's music yet. I've seen some footage, just to satisfy my curiosity, but I'm not scouring the internet for more because I don't want to spoil the freshness of the eventual game.

Ezio's Family is fine, and it is the de facto theme of the series. I'm not against it being incorporated. But I think the team needs to understand that the piece had power as part of a body of work in the games when it first appeared. It has to be used carefully. It must either be radically reworked to fit with the cultural theme of each game in which it appears, or the whole soundtrack of each game must be geared towards the style of that theme.

I loved the atmosphere and music in Brotherhood, perhaps the strongest use of music in the series, if you're me (I understand that some of you are not me). The most memorable music to me was the whimsical themes that played as you were just wandering, but there was an especially strong pairing when you went to take a Borgia tower. You'd get this tense, dark theme, and the moment when you finally took it down altogether resulted in an especially grim chant that induced a queasy feeling. I loved that, and the desire to go and knock out another guard location was bound up in a large part with that musical accompaniment. However, Brotherhood was a much shorter game that Origins/Odyssey, and this kind of thing could become relentless across that timespan.

But I love musical performance by NPCs in the games, too. The groups of Alexandrian hippie-esque characters, entertaining themselves with psychedelic music and poetry, were a delight. I also often stopped to listen to music in Syndicate, especially in the pubs, and I loved the music from the bandstands wafting up to my position as I crept along the rooftops.

So yes, I do like ambient/artificial music, but it needs a way to stay interesting and it needs to keep out of the way of the world's music. On the first point, the system created for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory would be ideal. Chaos Theory had bricks of music and rhythm which could interlock in various ways, swapping parts in and out to reflect the player's actions, and I'm sure something even more impressive could be done today. To tackle the second problem, I'd like a radius of about 50 yards around every NPC musician which ensured the ambient music faded out before the player got close enough to the NPC's music, and thus avoid clashes.

I don't want a fixed composer. Unlike most people here, I hate the theme music of Westworld and Game Of Thrones. It's aggressively stupid music and completely formulaic. If I had to listen to that kind of thing for 100h in every game, I'd grow to hate the series. At least if the composer changes, I'm not stuck with them. As for who that composer should be, that depends on the game's setting. For Syndicate, I'd have loved Jon Poole and/or William D. Drake, but they'd only have been right for a Victorian London game.

Megas_Doux
07-14-2018, 04:01 PM

That main theme is ok, I guess. However it lacks power so to speak.

I like it as a throwback but for nothing more than that

It is a MUST!!!! I LOVE constant background music so if not constant, at least more frequent to that of Origins.

Just too many to name just one, but I'll pick Access the Animus for one track and AC I, AC II and AC IV as a whole-

I rather have just one, but with annualization I bet it would be hard for that hypothetical composer to keep track without tiring himself to death haha.

Jesper Kyd because he nailed the whole background music in terms of quality and quantity. If not, the team behind AC IV.