PDA

View Full Version : tutorial on how to play online

Codger1949
04-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi. I'm a suffering newb. Finally got the game to run and finally was able to hook up to some online servers. Now could somebody direct me to a tutorial on how to use the game online. I can't find any targets to shoot at. The map is HUGE and is not a radar like in Warbirds. All I do is bore holes in the sky looking, looking, looking but not finding squat. The padlock views don't work. So how do you find a target in an area the size of Europe, especially when there's only about 16 other planes in the entire game?

Codger1949
04-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi. I'm a suffering newb. Finally got the game to run and finally was able to hook up to some online servers. Now could somebody direct me to a tutorial on how to use the game online. I can't find any targets to shoot at. The map is HUGE and is not a radar like in Warbirds. All I do is bore holes in the sky looking, looking, looking but not finding squat. The padlock views don't work. So how do you find a target in an area the size of Europe, especially when there's only about 16 other planes in the entire game?

Rattler68
04-25-2006, 09:26 AM
1. Get on comms with others. You need to be able to communicate to do well.
2. Use chat to communicate, and wing up with others. Stay together, and follow a plan of attack.
3. Begin flying online with a server that is not full-switch, but not no-switch! UK-2 is good to start on.

Don't get discouraged! Look at how many people on full-switch servers have no or little score. Just try to learn, and have fun!

Dean3238
04-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Hello Fellow NooB!

Make sure you start with less than full real servers. Some of the simpler, dogfight only ones, are straight-forward. Check the layout map when you sign on, see what heading it is from your base to the bad guys and follow that heading after take off.

After you get bloodied a bit, you'll start getting more sophisticated about it.

I'm just past the "hey guys! come drill me!" stage... now I live long enough to start an engagement that makes sense to me and (maybe) score a couple of hits on my target before turing into a fireball.

Dean

Codger1949
04-25-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the replies.

What's full switch and no switch? When you say get on comms and chat do you mean voice or chat using the "`" button to type messages? Also, when you say check the layout map. Do you mean the map that pops up on the upper right of the screen when you hit "m"?

Texan...
04-25-2006, 10:19 AM
If you look under the difficulty settings, you'll see a bunch of animated toggle switch. The more switches on, the more "realistic" and difficult.

The folks here started using the term "full switch" instead of "full real" in order to keep constant debates from flaring up.

Crash_Moses
04-25-2006, 10:20 AM
They mean with the realism settings maxed out. External views turned off, no icons, etc. When starting out it's sometimes easier to learn the game with less realism. You can see the realism settings in hyperlobby on the screen with the "join this session" button.

Once you're comfortable with the game you can move on to servers with the realism set a little higher. Or not, if you enjoy playing the game the other way. It's personal preference really (but I highly recommend trying a full real server at least once...you might get hooked!).

As for comms, many players use Teamspeak and the address and/or password is usually listed on the "join this session" screen for those that have them. But the in game chat works just as well for quick questions.

As for the map, yes you can use the in-flight map to navigate if map icons and mini-path are turned on. Just right click on the map and it will zoom out and you should be able to see your position as well as the other players.

However, if these options are turned off what you'll want to do is study the map on the screen just before you hit the "fly" button. This map can also be zoomed in and out by right clicking. Take note of the locations of the different bases and any large landmarks (rivers especially) that might help you find your way.

Then when you take off, just fly on a heading that you think will take you where you want to go (usually an enemy base). All you need to remember is that North (the top of the map is) is heading 000 and South is 180. Everything else is somewhere in between.

This little gadget might help with that also:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/7071055034

Happy flying! S!

major_setback
04-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Try 'UK Dedicated 1' this has padlock and externals enabled.

Rattler68
04-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Agreed. UK-1 is a good place to start. Just remember that the "wonder-woman" mode is enabled, meaning that you can hit ctrl-F1 and remove the entire plane from view. Many people use this view to get max. visibility, and rack up easier kills. Problem with it is that you may get used to flying this way, and develop bad habits. For now, it's up to you to choose a server with settings that you are comfortable with. Also, pick easy planes to fly with at first (don't worryabout those who may jack you up for flying a noob plane, we all did at first!) Concentrate on learning to fly and fight with one type of plane (Spits ar Me-109's work well, also La-5/7's, Zero's except they're slow). After you get used to one particular plane, try the others. Soon, you'll be getting into any type of plane and enjoying being part of these realistic servers.

BTW, this post does not reflect my skill on these servers. I get blasted most of the time myself. It's just my observations from being online, and flying with my mates. If you can join up with a squadron, if you have the time, this can also be valuable. Many squadrons will help you to fly and fight as a team. They also fly together on the servers occasionally.

Cheers

Codger1949
04-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys. You gave me a wealth of info. I appreciate it. Also, I love your pics. They're absolutely magnificent.