PDA

View Full Version : Everybody, including Ubisoft, needs to watch LazerZ's latest AC video

AnimusLover
07-03-2018, 01:18 AM
The words "mic dropped" spring to mind. He explains incredibly well just how the animus works and why Ubisoft insisting in the marketing that the animus will explain how choices can be made is flat out false. The animus is not a simulation and for too long some fans have got it in their heads that it is. The animus is merely a decoder of genetic information e.g. memories that allow the user to experience - not interpret, copy or modify - the ancestor's life. The animus does not have the ability to fill in the blanks of fragmented DNA such as gender, it simply means that synchronisation is not possible. Ubisoft is using the animus as a crutch/excuse for more video game mechanics and some fans are just accepting everything that's being fed to them without stopping to think for a second whether any of it makes any sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFFyOgUDEkU

ShenLongKazama
07-03-2018, 04:02 AM
Since they already advertised the choice of two playable characters i hope they won‘t remove either of them. I wanna play with both.

OxIdOAC
07-03-2018, 05:07 AM
As much as i love Origins, and Odyssey looks great and if would be half as good as Origins is fine by me, but last two games is not Assassin's Creed game to me. Just dosen't feel that way...
And, again, we all knew that's gonna happen someday.... Like i said before, Ezio trilogy would not happen again, ever. Come to that, Syndicate is the last true AC game.
I think they would drop the name Assassin's Creed in the near future, and continue down the road they heading, but they are scared to do it now because it would hurt their sales and they still milking AC franchise.
I believe they are secretly pushing this RPG style games just to start new franchise, and maybe in a 5~10 years they go back to original AC type of games via some reboot or anniversary, like many companies are doing it.
Either way i'm fine with it. I love AC games, and this new RPG concept is great.
Just please no more mangas and anime crap. I understand Ubisoft likes FF series, but they don't have to spoil their games with it. Make a new one on your own... Why not?

MnemonicSyntax
07-03-2018, 05:24 AM
As much as i love Origins, and Odyssey looks great and if would be half as good as Origins is fine by me, but last two games is not Assassin's Creed game to me. Just dosen't feel that way...
And, again, we all knew that's gonna happen someday.... Like i said before, Ezio trilogy would not happen again, ever. Come to that, Syndicate is the last true AC game.
I think they would drop the name Assassin's Creed in the near future, and continue down the road they heading, but they are scared to do it now because it would hurt their sales and they still milking AC franchise.
I believe they are secretly pushing this RPG style games just to start new franchise, and maybe in a 5~10 years they go back to original AC type of games via some reboot or anniversary, like many companies are doing it.
Either way i'm fine with it. I love AC games, and this new RPG concept is great.
Just please no more mangas and anime crap. I understand Ubisoft likes FF series, but they don't have to spoil their games with it. Make a new one on your own... Why not?

That was a collaboration and you didn't have to do the quest related to it.

FFXV got an " Assassin's Creed" carnival for their collaboration.

AnimusLover
07-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Not to do the mods' job but can we cut out the bickering?
I was hoping people would weigh in on the animus discussion.

cawatrooper9
07-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Absolutely.

Enough of that. Let's get back on topic, everyone.

Thanks in advance.

RafSwi77
07-03-2018, 05:39 PM
This video is so unnecessary at this point.

He basically says, that right now there is no "valid" (or at least he did not consider it valid enough) in-game explanation how it all works and yet he proceeds to rant about it.

I think he should wait for the release of Odyssey, because it all might be explained in the game. With the full information we might discuss whether Odyssey "fundamentally" breaks the current lore.

Until we learn why and how Layla's animus is different we should refrain from such bold statements.

By the way - unlike what he says in the video scientists in real life may not be able to identify person's gender if the DNA sample is highly fragmented or degenerated.

DaelosTheCat
07-03-2018, 05:54 PM
I've watched the video and I can agree that it has quite a few valid points. With Origins and Odyssey the series has become more fantasy than historic fiction. I have mixed feelings about this.

AnimusLover
07-03-2018, 06:30 PM
This video is so unnecessary at this point.

He basically says, that right now there is no "valid" (or at least he did not consider it valid enough) in-game explanation how it all works and yet he proceeds to rant about it

He's ranting about the explanation that was given by the creative developer... doesn't mean the explanation is valid.

I think he should wait for the release of Odyssey, because it all might be explained in the game. With the full information we might discuss whether Odyssey "fundamentally" breaks the current lore. Until we learn why and how Layla's animus is different we should refrain from such bold statements.

This is what apologists bring up time and time again. "Just wait until you play the game". People say this every year and they're always wrong. Usually with Assassin's Creed what you see is what you get. We should have learned about how Layla's animus is different in Origins. Origins was her introduction so it should have been explained there. The fact that it wasn't means they're certainly not going to explain it now.

By the way - unlike what he says in the video scientists in real life may not be able to identify person's gender if the DNA sample is highly fragmented or degenerated.

His point still stands - the animus cannot fill that in and therefore the user will not be able to experience the ancestor's memories.

Siegfriedfr
07-03-2018, 08:09 PM
Why don't you just give up on the Animus nonsense and enjoy the improved AC formula ?

crusader_prophet
07-03-2018, 08:57 PM
Why don't you just give up on the Animus nonsense and enjoy the improved AC formula ?

Because it is not enjoyable? Without an intricate narrative context, what is this single player game otherwise? Akin to madden or NFL? A historical simulator? If that is the direction of the publishers, that's fine, they own the property, but we who does not agree with that direction will keep voicing our opinions and voting with our wallets.

Frag_Maniac
07-04-2018, 06:34 AM
LOL, if that doesn't signify why Ubi are adding crap that doesn't adhere to the original formula, which they obviously do not explain in rational detail like they used to because there is no rational explanation, I don't know what does. They're catering to people whom don't give a rat's arse about a story that is cohesive to the original series canon. To call something as integral to the creation of AC as the animus "nonsense", is to say one doesn't give a damn about the meaning of the series.

Siegfriedfr
07-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Because it is not enjoyable? Without an intricate narrative context, what is this single player game otherwise? Akin to madden or NFL? A historical simulator? If that is the direction of the publishers, that's fine, they own the property, but we who does not agree with that direction will keep voicing our opinions and voting with our wallets.

Why not take it as a standalone historical adventure game, and enjoy the fact that no other games recreates past environment like they do ?
The animus is just an excuse, the real meat of the game is in exploring the past. There is no need to tie your enjoyment of the AC franchise to a subplot that has become irrelevant since after AC3 circa 2011.

Gameplay improvements >>>>> animus subplot improvement. It's a game, not a book or a movie, there is no njheed to get heated up about the story, gameplay quality is what should make you angry, or not.

AnimusLover
07-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Why not take it as a standalone historical adventure game, and enjoy the fact that no other games recreates past environment like they do ?
The animus is just an excuse, the real meat of the game is in exploring the past. There is no need to tie your enjoyment of the AC franchise to a subplot that has become irrelevant since after AC3 circa 2011.

Gameplay improvements >>>>> animus subplot improvement. It's a game, not a book or a movie, there is no njheed to get heated up about the story, gameplay quality is what should make you angry, or not.

Changing your game is not the same as improving your game. ACII and Brotherhood have the highest metacritic scores, higher than Origins, and they managed to get them without being an RPG and whilst the modern day story line was still very prominent...
Adding in a bunch of new features in order to appear trendy, if anything, makes the games appear worse than they are becuase they're never going to do it as well as those other games they're copying from, and thus look amateurish by comparison.

I_DID_NAHHT
07-05-2018, 03:10 AM
@OxIdOAC - Dude, as far as this thread goes, he said nothing wrong. You need to chill.

AyaConDios
07-05-2018, 03:28 AM
You again? Look, man, i get it. You don't like me. OK. I don't care.
You already TOLD ME THIS ONCE. I was just express my feelings about not liking manga anime and FF (like EVERYBODY express their feelings about not liking something about the game) and from everything i said you only see this FF. Do you jump at their throats for that? What is wrong with you? Leave people alone.. This is forum, free for all, and i didn't insult anybody.
I know what are you doing, i see from all the posts you are making, more than half of it is meaningless, just to add to your number of posts so you can be one of the three TOP CONTRIBUTERS.
Please, Ubisoft, put him on that list so he can stop harassing people..

Jesssuss....

Harassing may be too strong but there are people here who consistently reply with negative or "I know more than anyone else" type of comments. So my question is how do I block all comments from an individual user who makes this forum a bad experience?

Kiroku
07-05-2018, 02:23 PM
As much as I feel you guys and share your opinion on the whole animus and modern day conflict I think its senseless. They wont change the whole game because a hand full of people complaining about that and I dont think they will ever make this right in the future.

In the end its a company like any other that goes with the marketing trends and bringing games filled with stuff the whole mass wants to see to maximize their profit and thats it.

The game will still be enjoyable I guess. But it will never be the same back when the whole MD and animus mystery was the highlight of the game and perfectly connected with the ancestor gameplay.. sadly.

dxsxhxcx
07-05-2018, 03:03 PM
As much as I feel you guys and share your opinion on the whole animus and modern day conflict I think its senseless. They wont change the whole game because a hand full of people complaining about that and I dont think they will ever make this right in the future.

In the end its a company like any other that goes with the marketing trends and bringing games filled with stuff the whole mass wants to see to maximize their profit and thats it.

The game will still be enjoyable I guess. But it will never be the same back when the whole MD and animus mystery was the highlight of the game and perfectly connected with the ancestor gameplay.. sadly.

True, but it's a shame seeing the franchise's name being used just to increase sales rather than explore the potential it has, Ubisoft doesn't give a rat's *** about lore anymore (they just need a weak excuse to mark the cattle as AC and get an instant sale), what is a shame because if they moved away from AC and everything that holds them down (i.e. AC's lore) they could deliver an amazing story without beating a dead horse (narratively speaking).

RVSage
07-05-2018, 05:55 PM
I agree with points discussed, as a fan, since first games, many changes are jarring and out of place

Ubi seems to have the following formula right now

1. Follow industry's most successful games, ape them in every way possible, add them to an existing franchise and do not care how much it feels out of place on both sides.
2. Recycle popular mechanics within their games

Everything else takes a backseat

BUT,

Ubi is forgetting one thing

1. Witcher 3 succeeded for having it's own identity
2. AC 2 succeeded for having it's own identity.
3. AC4 succeeded for having it's identity. It was fresh no one else had a game like that

To me AC Black flag was a evolution of the franchise, to an extent origins too, Odyssey doesn't feel like a evolution, rather an attempt to ape every successful element, of every AC game and every other open world game out there. And I hope for AC's sake I am wrong

crusader_prophet
07-05-2018, 08:43 PM
BUT,

Ubi is forgetting one thing

1. Witcher 3 succeeded for having it's own identity
2. AC 2 succeeded for having it's own identity.
3. AC4 succeeded for having it's identity. It was fresh no one else had a game like that

To me AC Black flag was a evolution of the franchise, to an extent origins too, Odyssey doesn't feel like a evolution, rather an attempt to ape every successful element, of every AC game and every other open world game out there. And I hope for AC's sake I am wrong

So much this!!! I cannot emphasize enough of this sentiment. I was literally thinking the same exact thought yesterday and sent a message to my friend over instagram.

Those games have a unique identity because of their impeccable storytelling that meshed well together with the right amount of player agency and narrative mechanics. Not just because they wanted to check off some boxes and chase trends. If one reads Jason Schreier's book on Witcher 3 development, it's mind blowing how much willingly iterative they were in order to perfect the story, dialogues, writing and not settle with anything less. How many times they went back to the drawing board just to make sure a quest doesn't feel like a filler, instead it has an actual impact on the overall narrative and on the player emotions as well.

darklion2043
07-07-2018, 02:58 PM

I agree with your post. I love AC: Origins and probably I love AC: Odysses too. For an AC fan it is too hard to resist the game ,which include AC at its name. Unfortunately we forget our purpose, our way our AC Story slowly. 'MD, bleeding effect, Animus decoded history our we will shape history with it? Who is Desmond?, Who is Juno?, What is She planning now for humanity?, Is there an end this endless war between these groups?' After AC 3 we had some answers but other AC games gave us more questions then answers after AC 3. And worse things, sometimes we didn't touch any of these questions. Just play a good game. Probably they'll finish that Fastinating AC Story with Layla, Desmond, Juno or another one that they may think and then we'll play new good AC games with all new changes. Everything that has a beginning has an end and this end opens us a new beginnings.

AnimusLover
07-07-2018, 05:20 PM

In some cases, copying other elements isn't a bad thing if you do it right. Horizon Zero Dawn virtually has no originality except in its lore and enemy types. You can tell the developers studied a bunch of open world titles and RPGs and just combined all the best elements together. The difference between Guerrila Games and Ubisoft is that the former did those various elements extremely well or in some cases even better than the original, including Assassin's Creed! It understood why those elements worked and combined them together to make a fun action adventure science fiction game. They also weren't trying to push microtransactions and so as a result didn't have to fill their world with mindless, repetitive content.

OshadowhatterO
07-08-2018, 02:25 AM
Only access 1 had the only ancestry animous thing and was not the intended path for the complete francish. The ancestry thing was removed when in the story The NPS found a way for there to be a way for anyone to access any historical character. I think it's explained in AC syndicate.

Kiroku
07-08-2018, 04:41 PM
The feature playing as a person the life of another person (the animus system) was one of the reasons the game was great for me. The modern day aspect too since it was the sci-fi-ish flair with all the mystery around the artifacts and the first civ. I wanted to know whats up by having a lot of fun playing the ancestors like altair and ezio until finally reaching the end to get more clarification on the whole mystery.

Another important aspect for me why I loved AC was the gameplay system that my actions as an assassin were not unseen and the crowd and enemies further in the game reacted to that by being scared of a shadow walking thorugh the cities hunting evil templars to seek justice. Which ended up by me as a player being on the wanted list which was super fun because from that point I had to be more sneaky and careful.

Shaun, Rebecca, Lucy and Subject 16 were also very nice and deep characters I loved to see again and talk to.

When thinking about Assassins Creed the first words that come to my mind are: Stealth, sneaky, unseen, working in the shadows to serve the light

And I dont see this being the main focus since Origins. Instead over the last couple AC games they always try to put something new into the series and hope it will somehow work like the brotherhood system in ACB which was fine and also fit to the franchise, the tower defense system from ACR which was weird and boring, hunting in AC3 which was somewhat a nice idea but took way too much time to farm the resourcess, ACBF with the pirate simulator which was fun but also had nothing to do with "AC" until the end of the story, AC Unity with some more sidequests, tons of NPC's with the same face and not being able to implement the "choose your gender" system but at least a more diverse stealth system, ACS with the rooks which for me made totally no sence being an assassins and having gang members but was okay since we could play evie with more stealth aspects and last but not least ACO with huge open world, tons of sidequests which were story-telling wise not that interesting because of repetition but a good change, a souls-like combat system and other rpg-elements and odyssey with huge battles to shorten this.

The most ******ed feature I have seen came with black flag (I guess it started with ACBF Im not sure). When they started selling packages to save time and get all the treasures immediately. For me that sounds like they fill the game with so much useless boring stuff that doesnt even make fun that players will go for those items with real money because they dont want to collect all of this by themselves. And for those that want to go for all of that stuff like in AC2 were we can collect like 100 feathers or flags in AC1 its a occupational therapy.

So many changes for a franchise influenced by the marketing trends just to give people what they want to see instead of overthinking what "Assassins Creed" really stands for and being proud of it.

It is okay to take some time releasing a couple of titles to explain how this all started to give the franchise some fresh air and also have the time to think about its future. I will try Odyssey and take a look into it of course since I was a huge fan from the beginning. But I will leave this to what it has become if they keep this up and dont go back to the actual Assassins Creed and focus on that.

It feels like they dont even know what to decide. Should we leave the whole animus modern day system and let them only play the past as an ancestor?
Or should we at least give the good old fans what they want and make it optional?
Should we bring the animus and its modern day story back with more focus like before?

Seriously.. I really hope that some day they will finally choose a way and stay with it.

Kiroku
07-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Can be deleted somehow I posted twice lol.