PDA

View Full Version : Offline Boom and Zoom

Rammathorn_
08-03-2006, 03:53 PM
This may or may not be a valid question, but what is the best way to practice BnZ tactics against the AI? I spend a lot of time in QMB's and it seems that whenever I try to jump into a Tempest or a Jug I end up either comfortably distanced from the AI or low, slow, and dead.

I'm aware of energy fighting principles and always avoid sustained turns, but I can't figure out a way to put give myself an advantage where I can boom and zoom without ending up in a frantic head-on toss up. I've been setting up QMB's against Ju-87 and 88's, but I want to find some way to practice against fighters, but even the slow ones seem to climb into me like they're on steroids.

Rammathorn_
08-03-2006, 03:53 PM
This may or may not be a valid question, but what is the best way to practice BnZ tactics against the AI? I spend a lot of time in QMB's and it seems that whenever I try to jump into a Tempest or a Jug I end up either comfortably distanced from the AI or low, slow, and dead.

I'm aware of energy fighting principles and always avoid sustained turns, but I can't figure out a way to put give myself an advantage where I can boom and zoom without ending up in a frantic head-on toss up. I've been setting up QMB's against Ju-87 and 88's, but I want to find some way to practice against fighters, but even the slow ones seem to climb into me like they're on steroids.

tigertalon
08-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Try practicing F6F or F4U vs A6M2-N. Those float zeros are still VERY nimble, but hopelessly slow. Or a D9 vs HurricaneMk1. I know, not really historical, but great for learning BnZ.

Assuming you already have E advantage:

When above him, you don't need to hammerhead on him and go for headon (this way you give up your E advantage as headon is a lot of lottery. Still, go for a headon against Ki-43-1a).

Instead of this, level the plane and observe him. If he starts to climb, wait till he is very slow and hes nose starts to drop. That's the moment when you should attack.

DuxCorvan
08-04-2006, 10:14 AM
In the last patches, BnZ tactics are uneffective against the ultra-cheating AI, unless you have a huge advantage in speed, i.e. having a 262 fighting a Gladiator.

Anything else, you'll find that energy tactics are useless against UFOs that can zoom up into space and turn in a dime without losing any speed, or follow your Thunderbolt in a Zero in a frantic dive without breaking their plane.

WskyStr8
08-05-2006, 10:15 PM
PM me your email addy and I'll send you a couple of ntrks.

gpang788
08-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi can u send me some tracks too? I am on version 4.04m.

Thanks

Divine-Wind
08-08-2006, 06:28 PM
If you're going to practice B&Z agains the AI, don't set them up on 'Ace' level. They're impossible to dive down on then. Veteran is the closest you can get to challenging AI, without them having physic-warping planes.

Stackhouse25th
08-08-2006, 07:35 PM
When you're outta ammo, all you gotta do is Rammathorn into their ***

Rammathorn_
08-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. My gunnery needs a lot of work, and I feel like I fall for a lot of obvious traps that cause me to burn my advantage in a single pass, but I'm getting better. Of all the adversaries I've faced, the easiest is actually the 190A. I've had good luck against it in a Tempest or a Spit IX 25lbs (Easy button, I know).

I'm still hopelessly inept with the American planes, but it's probably best for me to pick one I can fly and stick with it for a while. Still, it would be nice to not make a fool of myself in a P-51.

Divine-Wind
08-08-2006, 08:14 PM
The Jug is the ULTIMATE diving machine, along with the Focke-Wulf and 109. The P-51 is well... 'Meh.' It got all twitchafied in the last patch (4.04m, at least), unless you fly the B/C models.

I'd recommend the Jug/FW-190 if you really want to experience Boom and Zoom.

WWMaxGunz
08-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Offline BnZ: I gotta run with icons on or I lose em just before my BnZ shooting range.
Always shoot from a good ways out, start like at 400m so you have time to correct due
to your high delta-V. The same closure speed means your shots will drop less as the
actual travel distance is less than if the target was co-speed. The AI will not get
into it's automatic jink till you are much closer.
The AI and some players don't seem to understand deflection as wide or wider than 5 or 7.
You can get shots in from even closer at 8 to 7 and 4 to 5 angles though it takes a lot
more practice. On the upside, few planes have much armor or internal structure on the
sides, under or over the cockpit so the hits you do get often count for more critical
damage. IRL that is how Hartmann attacked. Hitting with good deflection allows you to
exit the attack across the rear of his flight path instead of in front of him.

The hard part is getting your plane to fly straight enough to make long shots, to know
where the shots are going like you are throwing stones instead of stationary target
shooting. You've got to use the rudder right and develop an instinct for it or at least
know your slip and take into consideration what aiming off a ways to the side of where
you're going is doing to where the shots actually go as opposed to what the sight is on.
And then there's target relative motion that can also throw aim off from a pure solution,
the simplest example is when you have to lead a target and the nastiest is when the
target slips or crabs deliberately to get you to overcompensate based on his wing tilt.

Sine of 5 degrees is .087, sine of 10 degrees in .174. If you have slip then multiply
the sine of the slip angle by the range and that is how far your movement direction will
move the shots from the pipper by the time they go that far. At under 100m you still may
get hits, at 200m to 400m (in a zoom attack you close that quickly enough) it means you
need to stay on the ball or know how far off you are. Try throwing things from the back
of a moving truck sometime, but not on public roads with other vehicles esp cops!

Dtools4fools
08-09-2006, 09:05 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Try throwing things from the back
of a moving truck sometime, but not on public roads with other vehicles esp cops! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not public roads?
That dude who threw firecrackers at dogs from the roof of a jeepney in the Philippines should be a pretty good shot...
Some went off alomst right uder the dogs...

Top_Gun_1_0_1
08-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Its always fun to ZOOM/BOOM a formation of B-17s and 24's with the ME-262!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Real Lufty pilots do this technique!