PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Factions and Depth of Gameplay

garlank2011
06-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Has there been any talk at all about Secondary Factions?

I don't mean full factions like in Anno 2070, you had the Ecos and the Tycoons. I mean factions like the Orient in Anno 1404, the Scientist underwater dudes in Anno 2070 and the Moon and Arctic factions in Anno 2205. There was also a couple more released as Add ons for 2205 but I never played those...2205 is by far my least favourite Anno game....

I know we have 5 tiers confirmed now for main faction in 1800 which will add a lot more depth. However I for one will be extremely disappointed if there is not at least one secondary faction as well....

They have been such a huge part of the gameplay in the Anno games for so long now that I feel a huge amount of depth and strategy would be lost without them.....a lot more lost than would be added with just an extra tier in the main faction...

I am also very concerned with talk of multi session gameplay and a comment I remember from one of the dev team that you didnt NEED to have an extra session active to grow your main city. I know in all Anno games you could trade for goods as opposed to producing them yourself but this was very seldom practical and honestly the whole point in playing a game like Anno is so that you can create your own production chains and get everything balanced to your liking! I dislike the idea of not having to setup your secondary faction to progress.......like getting timely spices from the Orient in Anno 1404..... this doesnt seem like a gameplay choice to me....it feels like less depth and complexity.....

Anno 2205 failed (in my opinion) because the dev team decided to prioritise a shiny new engine for depth of gameplay, challenge and complexity. It looked amazing! But it played only average....it held my attention for 20 hours or so....compared to the countless hundreds of hours I have spent on 1404 and 2070.

I know the devs have stated that they are very much looking to go back to a style of gameplay similar to 1404 and 2070.....but I just dont see how this is possible without secondary factions....

What do you guys think? Am I jumping the gun? Could a secondary faction yet be revealed? I feel they would already have showed one off by now if it existed....
It would be interesting to get the community's thoughts...

banan1996.1996
06-29-2018, 03:05 PM
I prefer having one "faction" developed well and having many needs and production chains than having more but with less amount of needs or goods per faction.

I'm sure we'll be able to produce everything we need. Will it include some other factions? It's hard to say right now. I am pretty sure that other session(s) will include more tropical and exotic climates and that could be tied with having other factions as well.

The thing about trading is that some people are against multisession gameplay. That's why they stated you can get everything you need by trade so you can play in only one session. I am sure that players who want to produce everything will also be able to do it but that indeed will require other sessions.

Actually I think that other sessions, imperialism and colonialism will be the main topic at this year's gamescom at Anno 1800 presentations. So I would wait until the end of August for more information. I believe we might see another faction based on different non-european cultures or just a european-like faction of colonists. Developers didn't say much about various things like diplomacy, naval battles, other sessions, trains. There is still much to reveal.

garlank2011
06-29-2018, 06:13 PM
Dont get me wrong, I am SUPER excited now we get Five tiers to play with on the main Faction! And I agree that more factions on their own don't necessarily add more depth....

What would you guys like to see in a secondary faction?

The obvious choice to me would be something based on the East India Trading company.....in the 1800s they were at the height of their power.....so maybe some kind of Trading Faction that could have colonies in various exotic locations! What do you guys think?

stylisticsagi
07-02-2018, 10:14 AM
I think it would be cooler to have 1 big faction BUT with diffrent leanings.
As in one player would go with his faction in a direction to factory workers while another player might tend more to farmers.
Some players might tend more to a strong military while another might tend to religion or science more.
Each with their (dis)advantages.
These things can easely put visualy into game with the visual population with either clergy's or military patrols walking the streets.
this can also be done by the need for a large building by the population to advance to the next civ level but the choice of wich is yours.
so they would require either a church or a fort, nothing stops you from doing both either but the fort could reduce the maintenance cost for military units while the church could bring in extra tax money or something.

This could create an entirely diffrent city each time you build one depending on wich buildings you choose, rather then choosing a faction and then every time you play this faction your city will look the same. This would demand more buildings to be developed by the developers but the replayability will be increased alot becouse you are givven much more choice.
Especially if you would have such a building for every civilization.
Imagine the diffrence for mid-game where on th end civelization levels player will have to choose firts to build either a large theatre or a large university, since these buildings will be quite large and expensive, players will not build them right away.
And the choice would return in the same game to becouse when your city grows and the area of your town buildings get's exceeded you can make this choice again, making your city have either 2 churches, 2 forts or either a church and a fort.

Nox_29
07-09-2018, 10:10 PM
I think it would make a lot of sense to have Amerika as a secondary faction. But I don't know if it could be much different to the main faction in terms of goods and production chains.

jm1988gmx
07-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Since multi session gameplay will become conpletely optional i had the idea of citizens advancing in a tree rather than a straight line. after workers they could become either artisians OR engineers. I made a new post discussing this alternative to secondary fractions in this forum as well. I think it offers a lot in terms of storytelling as well as gameplay.

Pleas have a look at this thread as well and let me know what you think:
https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1906460-Citizen-Advancement-Tree

stylisticsagi
07-10-2018, 03:41 PM
It could work if done properly but i fear diffrent factions wether they are diffrent from beginning or get away from each other in a three will hurt trading amongst players.
If trading is still very possible between diffrent factions then i'm all for it.

moryz23
08-27-2018, 03:07 AM
Now with the reveal of South America as another session area, I'm also concerned with their promise that all other sessions are purely optional.

It just sounds impossible to balance. If perfectly viable to buy all necessary goods from other sessions, as it is promised, what's the point of producing them yourself? For me part of the fascination with Anno games has always been designing this well oiled, smooth-running machine which despite it's complexity keeps working and of which every part has its meaning. However, if you make a lot of aspects purely optional this seriously undermines this achievement as many parts of this machine no longer have real importance and could fail at any time without consequences.

I would prefer them to implement an option for those who only want to play in a single session rather than balancing the entire game around this condition.

banan1996.1996
08-27-2018, 10:16 AM
Producing goods yourself might be cheaper than buying and you are independent when you produce them yourself so there is a point in producing them.
You should think of trading as another part of this machine. One part is goods you produce yourself, the other is what you trade, it also has to work smoothly.
There are consequences of this machine failing - if you can't deliver basic goods your population gets smaller, if you can't deliver luxury goods you're people might become upset (if you also have a lot of pollution or bad working conditions) and start riots. Everything has some consequences.
And trading is the option for those who want to play in one single session, they just have to balance the trading, that's all.

Nox_29
08-27-2018, 10:20 AM
I had the same feeling as you, moryz23.

I also thought that they would make sure everything can be achieved in one sessions. Since then I've had a discussion about it on the Annoverse Discord. Apparently they reworked South America after they made the statement about not needing to switch sessions and you can still just trade if you don't want go to another sessions.

Nevertheless it still puzzles me a bit and I would have loved to see everything in a single session. One of the problems I had with 2205 was that everything was split up in sessions.If you didn't go to the other sessions you would miss out on a big part of the game. In the multisessions devblog they said that they don't want to have this problem anymore. But, for me, it's still a problem is South America is in a different session.

From what they have told me it seems like the second session will be implemented in a different and better way than it was in 2205. There wouldn't be any loading times for example. But still, I'm sceptical about it and me and my friends will hold back pre-ordering until we have a chance to see and play it for ourselves. I think the communication about all this could have been a bit clearer since it's a big deal for many of the fans.

stylisticsagi
08-28-2018, 09:41 AM
If there are going to be factions (wich is very very unlikly if they haven't told this by now), in an anno game it will never ever be a nation faction.
You will never ever see a direct american, english, or french nation and i am actually very glad anno doesn't do this either.
The moment anno should do this many people will suddenly want historic correct missions and stuff and i don't think anno is the place for those especially since many many other games already offer this.

GameMasterFox
09-05-2018, 12:00 AM
I would rather have multiple factions ala Anno 2070. Personally I would go with something like Spain, Britain, Germany, and France or something along those lines. Each with their own quirks and reactions to the various happenings in the game.

For example, Britain would want you to be rather exploitative to your colony while ensuring that you don't have a screwup that'll show in the newspapers while Germany on the other hand would tend to have you balance the economic needs with transforming your colonies into proper nations with as little bloodshed as you can.

stylisticsagi
09-05-2018, 08:34 AM
anno will never have existing nations into it's game. They talked about this during one of there q&a

ANN0nymity
09-05-2018, 09:11 AM
I don't see the different factions in 1800 work. like Spain, GB, ... all these building are European and would look (almost) always the same. Another option could be to choose your starting nation (imaginary nation) you could change it when you customize your profile so not in game but beside that any time you want. You could choose out of 4 different nations wich all got some very little bonusses on different stuff. but nothing to major. (or even no bonus) . in game there could be some quests in name of your nation and even random events like war between 2 of these nations. they would ask you if you want to help defend your nation or even diplomatic quests for each other.