PDA

View Full Version : Leap of Faith - could someone explain its presence in Odyssey?

raddevbor
06-29-2018, 02:12 AM
The origin of the Leap of Faith was revealed in Origins.
Why should I believe/accept some random Spartan mercenaries did this like 300 years before Sabu?
What do you think?

Frag_Maniac
06-29-2018, 02:30 AM
The origin of the Leap of Faith was revealed in Origins.
Why should I believe/accept some random Spartan mercenaries did this like 300 years before Sabu?
What do you think?
Honestly I've yet to read or see anything indicating Odyssey has LoF, but it wouldn't surprise me, and I too would love to hear Ubi's explanation for it. I'm sure it too would make no sense, as was the case with their explanation for being able to kill or let live key figures in history, or their omission of the shield.

gehenna27
06-29-2018, 08:07 AM
Honestly I've yet to read or see anything indicating Odyssey has LoF, but it wouldn't surprise me, and I too would love to hear Ubi's explanation for it. I'm sure it too would make no sense, as was the case with their explanation for being able to kill or let live key figures in history, or their omission of the shield.

In gameplay videos it has been there.

Swailing
06-29-2018, 11:42 AM
It's already covered by the idea that Assassins are humans with higher concentrations of Isu genes. (It doesn't work if you examine the way genetics really work, but shhhhh.)

The lore created a hidden third strand of the DNA helix as a storage medium for our ancestors memories. Project Legacy made it clear that people re-lived their ancestors experience merely through ritual and meditation, long before there was a technological Animus. And we know that these memories can leak into decendents' consciousness.

So you can call it convergent evolution, of a sort. If the Leap of Faith is a First Civ ability, it could re-emerge many times without continuous knowledge of it being passed down.

cawatrooper9
06-29-2018, 02:34 PM

It's one of the "core abilities" in the game- apparently it's upgradable as well.

There's been some speculation it will be related to the Spartan exile, since it appears the protagonist might be thrown off a cliff as a child, but that's far from confirmed.

quanzaizai
06-29-2018, 08:21 PM
I dont think ACO is the origin of the LOF but LOF is already an existed thing in the universe and anyone who believe in it can do. In the trailer they indicate that the character got thrown off the cliff so maybe that's how our character in odyssey learn LOF.

Frag_Maniac
06-29-2018, 08:37 PM
It's one of the "core abilities" in the game- apparently it's upgradable as well.
Not sure how that makes any sense either. The LoF has always been simply that, a blind faith daring dive into hay, leaves, etc. Why the heck would you need to upgrade something like that? And why is it even an ability in the context that abilities are usually conveyed, eg toward an enemy, XP, monetary system, etc?

Maybe at max level our hero sprouts wings on the way down and flies like Icarus. Meanwhile, you get X number of seconds to sling arrows in slow mo too, until you fly too close to the sun and die. LOL

MnemonicSyntax
06-29-2018, 09:04 PM
The leap of faith is not just a leap into hay or water now, it also serves as a parkour/evasion technique. When you jump off a small cliff you do the leap and then tuck and roll at the end. The upgrade allows you to do it without taking damage, otherwise you hurt yourself when you do the leap.

SUPERSANDSY12
06-29-2018, 11:58 PM
Serious Question:

If a mere child is thrown off a cliff to die....how do we assume he learns the LoF? lol

Wouldn't that mean we have to assume that aside from realizing it was meant to kill him, he had to go back and practice....with the idea it could kill him every time.

MnemonicSyntax
06-30-2018, 12:39 AM
Serious Question:

If a mere child is thrown off a cliff to die....how do we assume he learns the LoF? lol

Wouldn't that mean we have to assume that aside from realizing it was meant to kill him, he had to go back and practice....with the idea it could kill him every time.

The lore has stated several times throughout multiple games that the abilities and gifts that the protags have is because they have a certain amount of first civilization DNA. So it would be much like muscle memory.

SUPERSANDSY12
06-30-2018, 12:50 AM
That could be a solution to it.

But even engrained in the characters DNA.....that would still be a Leap of Faith to its foundation.

MnemonicSyntax
06-30-2018, 12:54 AM
That could be a solution to it.

But even engrained in the characters DNA.....that would still be a Leap of Faith to its foundation.

Just remember that during the time of Odyssey, the Isu are still around and were revered as gods.

Frag_Maniac
06-30-2018, 01:02 AM
Origins (and other ACs) already had tuck and roll when you jump from a high spot. You just tap the jump key as you hit ground. I've done it from fairly high points in Origins.

It's kinda stupid to call such a move LoF because anything anywhere NEAR the height of an actual LoF should require padding and perfect landing to execute, which is the whole point of calling it a leap of faith.

If they're now calling tuck and roll transitions from high jumps a LoF, it just validates all the more what a circus of a game they turned this into. If they're using a dive and roll or shoulder roll where you actually land while rolling vs on your feet then roll, even more so. :rolleyes:

Step right up and meet The Amazing Alexios everyone, the one man circus! Maybe they should have had him wearing a cape. LOL

raddevbor
06-30-2018, 01:31 PM
So,

(...) If the Leap of Faith is a First Civ ability, it could re-emerge many times without continuous knowledge of it being passed down.

everybody could potentially do this and you don't have to be Assassin to perform the Leap of Faith, even if

It's already covered by the idea that Assassins are humans with higher concentrations of Isu genes (...).

This justifies its presence in Odyssey and - simultaneously - explains why

It's one of the "core abilities" in the game- apparently it's upgradable as well..

because

(...) it would be much like muscle memory.

and as such must be perfecting through practice.
(There is still a couple of Hiidden Ones in the Bureau on Synai who are practicing LoF everytime you happen to visit them. Why nobody told them to stop?!? - a sequel to their adventures is highly unlikely...;))

But maybe it should be "activity-based progression", not upgradable by the 'acquisition of general XP'.

On the contrary, there's some pirate, Edward Kenway, who seemed to have LoF mastered from the start.:confused:

I dont think ACO is the origin of the LOF but LOF is already an existed thing in the universe and anyone who believe in it can do.(...)

With all of this above - you're right.
Let's call it origins of both requirement for initiation and the custom in Assassin Brotherhood.

quanzaizai
07-01-2018, 09:51 AM
It's like condition./uncondition reaction stored in human DNA, for example when the first time you fight you already known that you have to dodge or block when the punch its comming but nobody told you to do that, you just immediatly know you have to do that to not be hurt. And professional fighter is the one mastered it. You can see it equal to the eagle sense but this one doesnt need or realy few isu DNA to do. Also it seem like it is not a very common thing so most people dont know how to do it and maybe they wouldnt dare to. And some people has discovered this ability of human when they acidently do it the first time so they chose to mastered it for example: the medjay. They also use it to prove theyre brave. So when bayek formed the brotherhood he teachs everyone to do so it became a common thing in the assaaiin.
ACOD maybe the first time they discover this ability is when being thrown off the cliff
Ac1 -revelation,unity,syndicate,Origin: teach
Ac3: i think he also teach by his tribe.
AC4: when he does his pirate stuff