PDA

View Full Version : Why Assassins Creed Odyssey IS an A.C. Game

ChewiePool
06-27-2018, 07:38 PM
So I've seen a lot of people both on YouTube and Twitter saying that A.C. Odyssey will not be a proper Assassins Creed Game. Here's my argument as to why they're wrong.
Each Assassins Creed Game (excluding mobile game's, Altairs Chronicles, etc.) Traditionally has a piece of Eden that the plot focuses on. This was the case with Origins, which many people also said was not a proper Assassins Creed Game. However, in Odyssey, it shows 'The Spear of Leonidas,' which is clearly implied to be a Piece of Eden. So even though the brotherhood does not exist during the Peloponnesian war, locating Leonidas' Spear (a piece of eden) is relevant to the modern day plot, otherwise William Miles wouldn't have come to Layla at the end of Origins to try and recruit her into the brotherhood, likely because of her experiment with the Animus. Jonathon Dumont, World Director For Assassins Creed Syndicate said this in a Kotaku interview: ďLaylaís quest to find First Civ artifacts and First Civilization information leads her to discover one day a lost book, the lost book of Herodotus, the first historian. And that book refers to a Spartan mercenary that would have been in contact with First Civilization artifacts. Hell, he might have even wielded one.Ē What are your thoughts?

Frag_Maniac
06-27-2018, 10:56 PM
Except AC has always been about much more than just a PoE artifact. Even if you're OK with it being a prequel to the main story, without components such as Templars vs Assassin's and the introduction of hidden blade, it's still a scenario where you're not actually IN ancient times. You're accessing it via elaborate VR with the animus. Yet now all of a sudden it's OK to break the sync of real history and decide outcomes of key historic figures. If you miss that point, you miss why most are saying it's not a true AC.

Quite frankly I'm OK with these last two games being prequels and occurring before the actual Templar fight and hidden blade. What I'm not OK with is being able to alter history. It's also obvious this time around they don't really care about anything but the environment being historically accurate, because the hero can't even use a shield, which obviously was a staple of Spartan fighting. Worse yet they even contradict themselves in explaining that, saying you're not a Spartan anymore, you're a merc, and dodge roll, and parry replace it. Yet they still have you dressing like one, kicking like one, and using a Spartan spear. Plus Origins had dodge, roll, and parry, AND shields, even though ancient Egyptians were less likely to use them than Spartans.

Basically what it comes down to is they're turning what used to be defined as an Action-Adventure into Fantasy RPG, where no rules of space-time continuum or history apply anymore. This is also why they keep contradicting themselves to try to explain their way out of it, because there IS no explanation. What the people complaining are saying is true. They really have bastardized the franchise. It's not really AC anymore.

MnemonicSyntax
06-27-2018, 11:28 PM
So I've seen a lot of people both on YouTube and Twitter saying that A.C. Odyssey will not be a proper Assassins Creed Game. Here's my argument as to why they're wrong.
Each Assassins Creed Game (excluding mobile game's, Altairs Chronicles, etc.) Traditionally has a piece of Eden that the plot focuses on. This was the case with Origins, which many people also said was not a proper Assassins Creed Game. However, in Odyssey, it shows 'The Spear of Leonidas,' which is clearly implied to be a Piece of Eden. So even though the brotherhood does not exist during the Peloponnesian war, locating Leonidas' Spear (a piece of eden) is relevant to the modern day plot, otherwise William Miles wouldn't have come to Layla at the end of Origins to try and recruit her into the brotherhood, likely because of her experiment with the Animus. Jonathon Dumont, World Director For Assassins Creed Syndicate said this in a Kotaku interview: ďLaylaís quest to find First Civ artifacts and First Civilization information leads her to discover one day a lost book, the lost book of Herodotus, the first historian. And that book refers to a Spartan mercenary that would have been in contact with First Civilization artifacts. Hell, he might have even wielded one.Ē What are your thoughts?

I agree with this.

In addition, the complaints I've seen regarding things like.dialog options and the lack of a shield aren't justified.

All the dialog options I've seen are directly related to the player. The same options we have had since ACII. "This thief thinks you can't beat his race time. Do.you want to challenge him? A Accept B Decline"

Or the same as accepting or declining an assassination target mission from Lorenzo.

These options have just been expanded into other aspects like love and relationships.

The whole shield vs PoE isn't really valid either, because we've had PoEs as weapons in previous games. Nothing of this caliber for sure, but it's no different than using a "fantasy" weapon like the Eagle of Suger.

But, I'm going to give it a chance. I think it'll be a fun romp!

ChewiePool
06-28-2018, 06:19 AM
Except AC has always been about much more than just a PoE artifact. Even if you're OK with it being a prequel to the main story, without components such as Templars vs Assassin's and the introduction of hidden blade, it's still a scenario where you're not actually IN ancient times. You're accessing it via elaborate VR with the animus. Yet now all of a sudden it's OK to break the sync of real history and decide outcomes of key historic figures. If you miss that point, you miss why most are saying it's not a true AC.

Quite frankly I'm OK with these last two games being prequels and occurring before the actual Templar fight and hidden blade. What I'm not OK with is being able to alter history. It's also obvious this time around they don't really care about anything but the environment being historically accurate, because the hero can't even use a shield, which obviously was a staple of Spartan fighting. Worse yet they even contradict themselves in explaining that, saying you're not a Spartan anymore, you're a merc, and dodge roll, and parry replace it. Yet they still have you dressing like one, kicking like one, and using a Spartan spear. Plus Origins had dodge, roll, and parry, AND shields, even though ancient Egyptians were less likely to use them than Spartans.

Basically what it comes down to is they're turning what used to be defined as an Action-Adventure into Fantasy RPG, where no rules of space-time continuum or history apply anymore. This is also why they keep contradicting themselves to try to explain their way out of it, because there IS no explanation. What the people complaining are saying is true. They really have bastardized the franchise. It's not really AC anymore.
Even though we may have different opinions on some of the topics I've touched on, I do agree with your point about using a shield, and your point about 'altering history.' Odyssey, I think, is Ubisoft's way of trying out something different, however, I do agree with you about going full RPG . This may not be the best choice, and Ubisoft may be taking a huge gamble here, but they wouldn't be taking that risk if it wouldn't be worth it. And, like I said, if you don't play it for the main storyline in Greece, play it for Layla Hassan's story, which is continuing in this game. With all the info we have on the game right now, it seems the modern day will be more important than that of the part of the game that takes place in the Animus.

joelsantos24
06-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Even though we may have different opinions on some of the topics I've touched on, I do agree with your point about using a shield, and your point about 'altering history.' Odyssey, I think, is Ubisoft's way of trying out something different, however, I do agree with you about going full RPG . This may not be the best choice, and Ubisoft may be taking a huge gamble here, but they wouldn't be taking that risk if it wouldn't be worth it. And, like I said, if you don't play it for the main storyline in Greece, play it for Layla Hassan's story, which is continuing in this game. With all the info we have on the game right now, it seems the modern day will be more important than that of the part of the game that takes place in the Animus.
What do you mean "if it wouldn't be worth it"?

ninja4hire10
06-28-2018, 01:23 PM
I agree on the shield issue. And I kinda-sorta agree on the dialogue options, at least Ubi's explanation for its inclusion, but I'm not going to get so worked up over it. Just gonna wait till October to see how it plays out.

Some of these other issues, like if the MC stills dresses like a Spartan despite being ostracized from that society (what're they supposed to wear then, a toga?) will probably be explained in the story. Speaking of which, this whole "they killed the Creed" nonsense is just that, nonsense. In relation to Odyssey, the Creed doesn't exist -- you can't kill something that doesn't exist, right? And as far as the AC franchise goes, with Ubi supposedly stripping away the meat n' potatoes of what makes AC what is these past two games, that's the point entirely: take it away, then bring it back. ODY continues the soft reboot started with Origins, and we will make a return to stealth and all the little nuances that made the series what it was (re:is) in the near future, I guarantee it.

It's okay to be a little cautious, to raise an eyebrow and question some of these new elements with a constructively critical eye, but to all the haters I say start developing a taste for crow -- chances are you'll be eating plenty of it soon enough.

MnemonicSyntax
06-28-2018, 03:32 PM
I agree on the shield issue. And I kinda-sorta agree on the dialogue options, at least Ubi's explanation for its inclusion, but I'm not going to get so worked up over it. Just gonna wait till October to see how it plays out.

Some of these other issues, like if the MC stills dresses like a Spartan despite being ostracized from that society (what're they supposed to wear then, a toga?) will probably be explained in the story. Speaking of which, this whole "they killed the Creed" nonsense is just that, nonsense. In relation to Odyssey, the Creed doesn't exist -- you can't kill something that doesn't exist, right? And as far as the AC franchise goes, with Ubi supposedly stripping away the meat n' potatoes of what makes AC what is these past two games, that's the point entirely: take it away, then bring it back. ODY continues the soft reboot started with Origins, and we will make a return to stealth and all the little nuances that made the series what it was (re:is) in the near future, I guarantee it.

It's okay to be a little cautious, to raise an eyebrow and question some of these new elements with a constructively critical eye, but to all the haters I say start developing a taste for crow -- chances are you'll be eating plenty of it soon enough.

Incredible post!

I'd wish some of the others had your outlook.

TheGeekAssassin
06-28-2018, 05:43 PM
I completely agree. Although I see Origins and now Odyssey as a revolution to the typical Assassin's Creed formula, I welcome the change. As much as I loved the Assassin's Creed franchise, there have been games that were getting a bit stale and following the exact same formula. Origins changed that and Odyssey is taking it even further. To stay relevant and new, change is inevitable. And to be honest i look at Odyssey as a love letter to the rest of the franchise. It includes a multitude of features from the past decade while updating, bringing in new ideas and generally trying to keep things fresh. I am excited for this game to come out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88s7TIufZuo

joelsantos24
06-28-2018, 07:36 PM
And to be honest i look at Odyssey as a love letter to the rest of the franchise.
You can say whatever you want about the game, some people love it, some people hate it. Each has it's own reason and that's perfectly fine. One way or another, though, this game and it's features don't congregate the community, and it's in fact incredibly divisive and has already alienated a big portion of the fan-base.

Subsequently, then, something that can't really be said, is that "it's a love letter to the series". That's a completely unfounded claim. You can't destroy the entire premise of the series and the concepts around which it was built, and still be a "love letter to the series". If it's a revolution, then it breaks away with the remaining games, and so, it can't be "a love letter to the series".

ChewiePool
06-28-2018, 08:37 PM
What do you mean "if it wouldn't be worth it"?
I'm saying if Ubisoft didn't think that Odyssey would be received well, they would not release it.

ChewiePool
06-28-2018, 08:42 PM
You can say whatever you want about the game, some people love it, some people hate it. Each has it's own reason and that perfectly fine. One way or another, though, this game and it's features don't congregate the community, and it's in fact incredibly divisive and has already alienated a big portion of the fan-base.

Subsequently, then, something that can't really be said, is that "it's a love letter to the series". That's a completely unfounded claim. You can't destroy the entire premise of the series and the concepts around which it was built, and still be a "love letter to the series". If it's a revolution, then it breaks away with the remaining games, and so, it can't be "a love letter to the series".
I do agree with this, however. Odyssey and Origins are unlike any A.C. title before them. In order for Odyssey to be a "love letter" to the original series, it would need to include the concept of stealth, at the very least, not to mention the brotherhood's existence. At least Origins had the hidden blade.

ChewiePool
06-28-2018, 08:44 PM

I completely agree with everything you said.

TheGeekAssassin
06-28-2018, 09:04 PM
that's a fair point but there is so much in this game that pays homage to its roots. You are right people are upset about the information so far released about this game. It has become divisive but it hasn't even been released. I personally think it best to hold off until the game is out and make up our own minds upon the game. We may be pleasantly surprised or we may be completely turned off to the series. My point is that change isn't a bad thing. The game shows a clear path towards something new and different, but you can see how it has been built upon what has made this franchise a success and so well loved. People are losing their minds over no hidden blade or hoods. we know hoods are in. The hidden blade is in a new form and there is still potential that the spear could turn into a hidden blade when all is said and done. Hell, take a look at how in the old days of Assassin's Creed you could use the hidden blade whenever you wanted as a weapon. you could strike, block and of course assassinate with it. in later games including Origins which was so well loved you could only use it when in the perfect situation where an enemy was not aware of their impending doom. The Spear of Leonidas gives us the ability to use a hidden blade type tool at any time again. and this time it comes with some pretty impressive powers and upgrades. Another hugely successful and loved game was Black Flag. Odyssey will include ship battles and deep sea exploration and other such experience from Black Flag and do it in a way that isn't completely convoluted and unnecessary like it was in Origins. Origins included ship battles in a way that seemed like a plot device to include aya as being a playable character and literally pulled you out of the main game. Odyssey has it as a seamless integration like Black Flag.

So yes, I stand by my words that although the game has been revolutionized into an open world Action RPG which is something different from where AC Started, it still shows reverence and love for what made it a successful franchise in the first place by including many of the hallmarks that made those past games great.

Frag_Maniac
06-29-2018, 12:23 AM
Some of these other issues, like if the MC stills dresses like a Spartan despite being ostracized from that society (what're they supposed to wear then, a toga?)
Totally missing the point. It's not just about how the hero dresses, it's that he still uses the Spartan fighting style of Spartan kick and Spartan spear, yet we're supposed to somehow believe he would just abandon use of shields? How are we even supposed to block arrows now?

And no, it's not that they're killing AC, so much as redefining it in ways that make no sense.

Penguincop24
06-29-2018, 07:59 AM
I was so hyped for Assassinís Creed: Odyssey, until I started reading into it more. I wasnít crazy about origins and Iím even less hyped for Odyssey. Donít get me wrong, I didnít hate Origins, but itís one of my least favorite Assassinís Creed games.
I feel like after reading about Assassinís Creed Odyssey, the game break my heart by destroying the franchise I love.

The ability to chose your character (male/female) eliminates the unique backgrounds each assassin has, and it eliminates the sense of canon in the universe.
Thatís the same for the possible alt endings. Thereís no canon.
The idea of making Assassinís Creed into a rpg is stupid because itís just not what the series is made for.

Another problem I have is that in the game Assassinís Creed: Origins, we see the origins and creation of the brotherhood (or atleast the precurser of it). Assassinís Creed: Odyssey will take place 400 years before that. How will that work into the Assassinís Creed games?

I think turning Assassinís Creed into an RPG like Fallout is a mistake and I think Ubisoft should go back to their roots in the future.

joelsantos24
06-29-2018, 09:30 AM
I was so hyped for Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey, until I started reading into it more. I wasn’t crazy about origins and I’m even less hyped for Odyssey. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t hate Origins, but it’s one of my least favorite Assassin’s Creed games.
I feel like after reading about Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, the game break my heart by destroying the franchise I love.

The ability to chose your character (male/female) eliminates the unique backgrounds each assassin has, and it eliminates the sense of canon in the universe.
That’s the same for the possible alt endings. There’s no canon.
The idea of making Assassin’s Creed into a rpg is stupid because it’s just not what the series is made for.

Another problem I have is that in the game Assassin’s Creed: Origins, we see the origins and creation of the brotherhood (or atleast the precurser of it). Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey will take place 400 years before that. How will that work into the Assassin’s Creed games?

I think turning Assassin’s Creed into an RPG like Fallout is a mistake and I think Ubisoft should go back to their roots in the future.
Yes, the concept doesn't fit the AC premise, but unfortunately, it's what Ubisoft built itself for. Every single game of theirs, is an RPG.

Swailing
06-29-2018, 11:32 AM
I'm welcoming the dialogue options, not so much for this game as for future games of the type I want. Imagine Syndicate had dialogue options, and those options rewarded you for remembering/noting down subtle details learned earlier. It would have been a completely different game, and you could have had an intricate political web going on (remember the teaser video with a masked Templar tugging a thousand strings to puppeteer a thousand influential figures? Because I do, with some annoyance). So maybe in Odyssey it'll be mostly meaningless, or just provide some obvious gating, but the potential for the mechanic in the future of the series is huge. Thanks to Shadowrun Returns being free on HB recently, I finally played that and I'm making it through the rest of the trilogy too. Many times, although these games aren't trying to be AC, I've felt like they're doing many things better than AC. A massive part of this is the dialogue, the consequences, and the dynamic characters.

I don't really give a monkey's about Pieces Of Eden. That's not what's on my mind when I think of the ideal AC experience. To me, at its peak it should be an experience where you are a deadly but endangered person creeping around a complex security network until you've either bypassed it to reach the target or stripped it down to nothing, layer by layer. Origins was doing that very well in the supersized fortress camps, although I wish those had been easier to get to when I was low level. If Odyssey provides this kind of thing or better, and maintains the other compelling loops that Origins did, I'm happy for now. A big plus of Origins was being hunted all over the map by characters who were initially scary, but then become people for us to hunt in turn.

BUT

I don't want more classical history for a while. I don't necessarily want gigantic landscapes, although they've got their charms. I would be happy to see them take all this detail and condense it into one or more big cities, with a lot going on socially and an interesting top layer of power that you can meddle with and manipulate.

phoenix-force411
06-29-2018, 11:56 PM
I just want Modern Day to advance onward and get out of the Juno arc. I want more Modern Day than anything else from Assassin's Creed, but it looks like I'll pass on Odyssey.

MnemonicSyntax
06-30-2018, 12:36 AM
I just want Modern Day to advance onward and get out of the Juno arc. I want more Modern Day than anything else from Assassin's Creed, but it looks like I'll pass on Odyssey.

Apparently the Juno arc was moved to the comics, so everything that Layla is doing isn't related.

Ghost416
06-30-2018, 04:44 AM
Totally missing the point. It's not just about how the hero dresses, it's that he still uses the Spartan fighting style of Spartan kick and Spartan spear, yet we're supposed to somehow believe he would just abandon use of shields? How are we even supposed to block arrows now?
I agree with you on shields, but as someone who has extensively studied this period in the Mediterranean, I feel compelled to point out that all Greeks fought in what you're referring to as the "Spartan fighting style." The phalanx, Argive shield, and spear and other types of gear were universal among hoplites, even mercenaries. Hell, even the Romans fought this way until the Battle of Allia in 390 BC. What made the Spartans unique wasn't their gear or how they dressed (which, as I said, was little different from anyone else), it was their training.

The kick is lifted directly from 300, though.

Frag_Maniac
06-30-2018, 07:23 AM
I agree with you on shields, but as someone who has extensively studied this period in the Mediterranean, I feel compelled to point out that all Greeks fought in what you're referring to as the "Spartan fighting style." The phalanx, Argive shield, and spear and other types of gear were universal among hoplites, even mercenaries. Hell, even the Romans fought this way until the Battle of Allia in 390 BC. What made the Spartans unique wasn't their gear or how they dressed (which, as I said, was little different from anyone else), it was their training.

The kick is lifted directly from 300, though.
Yet you refer to 300, which if anything made the point about the necessity of the shield for Spartans. It doesn't really matter if others used them or the Phalanx formation, to have a Spartan without one is sacrilege.

DaelosTheCat
07-02-2018, 01:04 AM
For me, no hood + no hidden blade = not an AC game. Still may be a good game though.

WendysBrioche
07-03-2018, 01:53 AM
Each Assassins Creed Game (excluding mobile game's, Altairs Chronicles, etc.) Traditionally has a piece of Eden that the plot focuses on. This was the case with Origins, which many people also said was not a proper Assassins Creed Game. However, in Odyssey, it shows 'The Spear of Leonidas,' which is clearly implied to be a Piece of Eden. So even though the brotherhood does not exist during the Peloponnesian war, locating Leonidas' Spear (a piece of eden) is relevant to the modern day plot, otherwise William Miles wouldn't have come to Layla at the end of Origins to try and recruit her into the brotherhood, likely because of her experiment with the Animus. Jonathon Dumont, World Director For Assassins Creed Syndicate said this in a Kotaku interview: “Layla’s quest to find First Civ artifacts and First Civilization information leads her to discover one day a lost book, the lost book of Herodotus, the first historian. And that book refers to a Spartan mercenary that would have been in contact with First Civilization artifacts. Hell, he might have even wielded one.” What are your thoughts?

I agree. I think it's a load of rubbish people are saying it's not proper AC.

You don't need the contiguous Assassin's Order of Bayek through present day for it to be true AC. Edward Kenway was hardly an Assassin in rite at all, had VERY little contact with them, and spent the greater portion of the game's events doing things that inadvertently brought the Caribbean Brotherhood down to it's knees. All this and Black Flag, for many good reasons is still hailed as one of the greatest Assassin's Creed games in the entire franchise, a sentiment I wholly share, the game was awesome.

All this to say nothing of the fact that Odyssey is striving to bring back a lot of things players like from previous installments, Unity style customization, Origin's RPG upgrading elements, Black Flag's naval combat all the way down to a Greek spin on sea chanties. I think Odyssey is going to be a wholesome game despite features I dislike like dialogue options, though I don't know whether it'll be nearly as rich as Origins cause that game is CRAZY (in a good way!), it's a little early to fully tell, but suffice to say Odyssey is definitely looking to be a proper installment in the least.

joelsantos24
07-03-2018, 09:40 AM
It's very easy to analyse this, really: no Assassins + no Creed = no Assassin's Creed. I'm being overly simplistic and really joking, but I'll elaborate on the matter...

I think this series no longer aims to captivate it's own fans, but actual RPG fans, more specifically. We've already seen several players coming forward, around the Forums, stating they had absolutely no interest, whatsoever, in the series, before, but will certainly buy and play Odyssey. That's Odyssey's very own purpose of existence, to appeal to new, casual RPG fans. That's a legitimate choice, from Ubisoft, since it's their game and they can do with it as they please. As a fan from day 1, though, I disagree.

The setting is magnificent, Ancient Greece looks beautiful, interesting and also mysterious. Origins defined the establishment of the Order of Assassins in Ancient Egypt, around 49-47 BC. We know there's plenty to explore, regarding the secret war between both sides, before that period. The Order of the Ancients was founded, also in Ancient Egypt, by Pharaoh Smenkhkare, in 1334 BC. Adam and Eve escaped the First Civilisation, with the Apple of Eden, many thousands of years before. Abel and Cain are believed to have been the original precursors of both sides, respectively. I could go on and on. There's much to explore, as far as the AC mythology is concerned, before the Origins' time period.

The problem with Odyssey, is how it completely obliterates the very own premise upon which the series was built. Dialogue options, character choice, choices in general, multiple endings, etc. These can't exist in the AC universe. But now they do, simply because Ubisoft wants a full-blown RPG to captivate new casual players, with no necessary connection or interest in the series and it's mythology.

kotowicz78
07-04-2018, 03:57 PM
10 years playing AC and now they even took Juno of us and turned AC into an RPG...

WendysBrioche
07-06-2018, 02:47 AM
Dialogue options, character choice, choices in general, multiple endings, etc. These can't exist in the AC universe. But now they do, simply because Ubisoft wants a full-blown RPG to captivate new casual players, with no necessary connection or interest in the series and it's mythology.

That's agreeable, I was speaking in terms of story.

Dialogue options is something I argued against when it first started popping up on the forums, and I've always said Assassin's Creed should always stick to a set narrative as I've always been interested in the stories they tell more than in making my own. Something like that is what I would prefer for franchises like The Elder Scrolls, or Witcher series, something that's built around the idea of player expression.

Assassin's Creed has always been more like a movie I participate in rather than a story I control. The freedom of an open world, sure, but one that sticks to a set linear plot of events, and before player choice it was easy to consider my playthroughs canonical sequences in the Assassin's Creed lore and timeline without facing the idea that me completing the mission one way or another would happen differently on a new playthrough. But my disbelief was easily suspended. Player choice leaves everything to players to decide their own canon set of events, which I agree becomes troublesome in terms of following a concrete history.

All that can be done is see what kind of response this gets, and if enough people agree player choice is a bad thing for the series which seems to be the consensus on the forums, maybe they'll get rid of it next time around. I have seen Ubi respond to fan criticism in past games, maybe it'll happen again who knows.

10 years playing AC and now they even took Juno of us and turned AC into an RPG...

Ya, what the heck happened to that? They were building her to be the new main antagonist.

AssassinHMS
07-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Oh please, what is an AC game anyway?
Identity is built by walking a singular path that you can claim as your own.
These games aren't made for you, they're made for everyone who may fall under the term "gamer". And as with all things built primarily for the masses, they're as devoid of identity as they're wide. This is necessary as it is the only way to please a myriad of different tastes without risking becoming unappealing to a particular group.
Hell, the only core audience I can see this franchise having are people who adore the historical accuracy of the vistas AC offers as that seems to be the one feature that stuck with the series since its inception.
There is nothing AC about AC gameplaywise or storywise. The brand is just a canvas for the content that is deemed popular or worthwhile at the time. The name "Assassin's Creed" is a marketing tool and little else.