PDA

View Full Version : Single pick in Dominion

ChampionRuby50g
06-27-2018, 12:08 AM
I want to know what peopleís thoughts on this are. With the new faction coming in October, there will be 22 playable characters for Dominion. In the past I wasnít really with single pick as there wasnít enough selection for players, but now I feel we have enough playable heroes to introduce this into casual dominion. I feel this would help the game as nobody enjoys running into two LBs, bombs or not. Yes, fighting two heroes at once is annoying, but itís manageable and fine. Fighting two of the same heroes can be an absolute nightmare and not give the player much control.

If single pick was to he introduced, would you rather it be so players choose who they are playing then matchmake, or first in best dressed during the pre-game lobby?

Knight_Raime
06-27-2018, 12:11 AM
I've always been for it even before the roster size was decent. Would be far easier for them to do than simply trying to balance out stacks of heros.
The issue would be trying to figure out how to incorperate that into a match start up menu. For honor has come a long way but it's menus before, during, and after a match are all pretty dated and bad.

bannex19
06-27-2018, 12:17 AM
Honestly, I think single pick is only really useful in games where there are pure class counters like overwatch.

Then again I'm not in the top 1% of players in this game, are the big dogs running 3 shaman 1 conq teams or something?

ChampionRuby50g
06-27-2018, 12:17 AM
I've always been for it even before the roster size was decent. Would be far easier for them to do than simply trying to balance out stacks of heros.
The issue would be trying to figure out how to incorperate that into a match start up menu. For honor has come a long way but it's menus before, during, and after a match are all pretty dated and bad.

Especially when I hear that Ubi balance with duel in mind, single pick would certainly help balance out dominion. In my mind, it would just be like what Brawl is in the pre-game lobby, or you press search for Dominion and then the character select screen appears. I reckon theyíll have a pre-game menu/character select menu upgrade once Oct. 16 rolls around, they could simply just add 4 slots in for new faction, but hopefully they take the chance to modernise the menu. Especially the post-match menu.

ChampionRuby50g
06-27-2018, 12:19 AM
Honestly, I think single pick is only really useful in games where there are pure class counters like overwatch.

Then again I'm not in the top 1% of players in this game, are the big dogs running 3 shaman 1 conq teams or something?

Generally itís not ideal comepetitvely to run 2 or more of the same class in Dominion. While at lower levels, 3 of the same class will absolutely roll over players but more experienced and grouped up teams will have an easier game, more often than not. So if single pick was introduced, it would not only balance out matchmaking, but make life easier for mid-lower level players while not affecting the top tier of players at all.

Knight_Raime
06-27-2018, 12:20 AM
Especially when I hear that Ubi balance with duel in mind, single pick would certainly help balance out dominion. In my mind, it would just be like what Brawl is in the pre-game lobby, or you press search for Dominion and then the character select screen appears. I reckon they’ll have a pre-game menu/character select menu upgrade once Oct. 16 rolls around, they could simply just add 4 slots in for new faction, but hopefully they take the chance to modernise the menu. Especially the post-match menu.

Mm. I was thinking more along the lines of how Paladins currently has their hero selection setup. Both teams are on the screen on opposite sides with a blank spot so you can see an image of the hero someone selects. In the middle of the screen is the entire roster of heros. When one gets picked on your team a red line goes through that hero's picture and is darkened signifying it's been picked.

CandleInTheDark
06-27-2018, 12:23 AM
Single pick only works if one of two things happens, matchmaking after character select or gear stats are gotten rid of. Anything less and the game is all the more inaccessible to new players who find themselves having to rep 7 (9+ if you count refinement, sooner or later we'll need to if they keep adding refinement levels) four characters, or eight in the case of knight_raime's idea, to guarantee being on a level playing field. The devs may be trying to make gear score affect the game less but I am not ok with saying to new players you need 28 (7*4) to 36 (9*4 single pick per team with refinement) 72 (9*8 if you include refinement and single pick for every character per game) reps before you can be sure to match 80+ damage for raider's zone.

SangLong524
06-27-2018, 12:32 AM
I am a bit weary of multiple same picks in match and single pick would definitely spice things up without the fight getting irritating like fighting 2-3 shinobis with a peace keeper lurking in the back.
Plus, it is an awesome idea that will surely force people to git gud even if they don't want to.
Still, it will make people wanting to grind level for a certain hero extremely difficult and time consuming. Furthermore, constantly shifting between heroes may be detrimental to getting to know the hero intimately.
I am torn between supporting the greater good of git gudding and the risk of it making the game even harder to learn. Of course, us veterans will adapt to any new changes quickly enough, but someone needs to think for newbies, and the noobies.

ChampionRuby50g
06-27-2018, 01:21 AM
Mm. I was thinking more along the lines of how Paladins currently has their hero selection setup. Both teams are on the screen on opposite sides with a blank spot so you can see an image of the hero someone selects. In the middle of the screen is the entire roster of heros. When one gets picked on your team a red line goes through that hero's picture and is darkened signifying it's been picked.

Iím not familiar with Paladin, so does that mean when you choose a hero, the opposing side instantly knows what hero you chose, and they can no longer go that hero too?

Knight_Raime
06-27-2018, 01:40 AM
I’m not familiar with Paladin, so does that mean when you choose a hero, the opposing side instantly knows what hero you chose, and they can no longer go that hero too?

No they can still pick the same hero. only time the other team has influence on your team comp is when you play ranked with the pick and ban system they have. The enemy team doesn't know your team composition until all everyone has picked a hero for non ranked. Where as in ranked I believe you get to see the hero they pick the moment they pick it.

CandleInTheDark
06-27-2018, 03:03 AM
No they can still pick the same hero. only time the other team has influence on your team comp is when you play ranked with the pick and ban system they have. The enemy team doesn't know your team composition until all everyone has picked a hero for non ranked. Where as in ranked I believe you get to see the hero they pick the moment they pick it.

So assuming both teams ban a hero, that is at the least six heroes someone would need 7-9 reps in and at the extreme end of that with one pick only per character and a ban per team, ten heroes. That is why I think this cannot be done unless gear stats go (I have thought from the beginning reps should affect quality of how the gear looks only in a PvP game) or the matchmaking changes which the devs have said they don't want to do.

I wouldn't mind single pick, I'd even go for players selecting one at a time and characters being picked once only now the roster is bigger (though for that I would want to see eight heroes per faction for those who only play in their faction just in case) but not when it makes the game a huge grind for newcomers as it would currently.

Knight_Raime
06-27-2018, 03:13 AM
So assuming both teams ban a hero, that is at the least six heroes someone would need 7-9 reps in and at the extreme end of that with one pick only per character and a ban per team, ten heroes. That is why I think this cannot be done unless gear stats go (I have thought from the beginning reps should affect quality of how the gear looks only in a PvP game) or the matchmaking changes which the devs have said they don't want to do.

I wouldn't mind single pick, I'd even go for players selecting one at a time and characters being picked once only now the roster is bigger (though for that I would want to see eight heroes per faction for those who only play in their faction just in case) but not when it makes the game a huge grind for newcomers as it would currently.

Wasn't advocating for their pick ban system to come in. Just the idea of single pick in general. I agree though. With gear stats being a thing it would be difficult to do. Probs should only have single pick for ranked dominion and have gear stats off in it. would be least painful way to add it.

CandleInTheDark
06-27-2018, 03:41 AM
Wasn't advocating for their pick ban system to come in. Just the idea of single pick in general. I agree though. With gear stats being a thing it would be difficult to do. Probs should only have single pick for ranked dominion and have gear stats off in it. would be least painful way to add it.

Yeah I figured you weren't advocating for a ban system,just highlighting how every move like that affects players since people have called for ban systems in the past on here. My bad for not adding that.

They already have no stats and single pick in ranked, it's just that no one plays it. Ironically if everyone on here and Reddit who calls for single pick played ranked, they'd not need a huge portion of the player base more to make it viable.

Knight_Raime
06-27-2018, 04:58 AM
Yeah I figured you weren't advocating for a ban system,just highlighting how every move like that affects players since people have called for ban systems in the past on here. My bad for not adding that.

They already have no stats and single pick in ranked, it's just that no one plays it. Ironically if everyone on here and Reddit who calls for single pick played ranked, they'd not need a huge portion of the player base more to make it viable.

Oh really? shoot. Maybe I should try it someday.

Tyrjo
06-27-2018, 07:43 AM
I like single pick. I wish we had it in casual Dominion. Even better, make Ranked Dominion worth playing. Problem solved.

The game mode population should be like this:

Casual Dominion: Low

Ranked Dominion: Very high

SpaceJim12
06-27-2018, 10:19 AM
If single pick was to he introduced, would you rather it be so players choose who they are playing then matchmake, or first in best dressed during the pre-game lobby?

I see a big problem here, honestly. While I play last couple months I mostly see Orochis, Raiders, Kenseis, Berserkers and LBs in Dominion. Less Wardens and PK. Shinobi, Aramusha, Gladiator are very rare. So, if hero pick will place before matchmaking, some heroes will find game very quick (cause of rareness) and some will be looking for it like forever. And in Marching Fire update you'll probably find game only in season 9, if pick one of new heroes.

So,I'm fully agree with Candle here. We have only two option for single pick. And first option with matchmaking after hero pick is not so good, as I described above. So, in my opinion we need single pick and we need gear stats will go away.

DrinkinMehStella
06-27-2018, 10:21 AM
not a fan of this idea, I like to rep up my main without hassle and if someone picks who I want then I will just leave and join a new lobby and so will many others.

Kryltic
06-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Sorry but if you want single pick, play ranked, that's what its for. Don't try forcing it on everyone else.

I shouldn't be forced to have to keep leaving games because I joined a game late or didn't pick quickly enough and want to play/level up a particular character. Nor should I be forced to have to play a character I don't want to play for the same reasons as above...

It's casual for a reason, so you play whatever you want in any game you want, if you make it single pick then you might as well just have ranked mode and remove the rest.

SpaceJim12
06-27-2018, 11:55 AM
Sorry but if you want single pick, play ranked, that's what its for. Don't try forcing it on everyone else.

I tried to find ranked Dominion match on PC once, you know. I took almost 20 min, before I gave up. Nobody play ranked Dominion, that's why you literally can't play ranked, even if you want.

Vakris_One
06-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Ranked Dominion has single pick and no gear stats. If they make Ranked Dominion actually worthwhile to play then there's the problem solved. But as it stands that mode is bereft of players and has been ever since it was first introduced.

What kind of boggles my mind is why hasn't the pro community adopted Ranked Dominion as their go to mode? They don't care about match rewards as their focus is on playing this game competitively like it's an esport so why is it even they did not like Ranked Dominion?

CandleInTheDark
06-27-2018, 02:19 PM
What kind of boggles my mind is why hasn't the pro community adopted Ranked Dominion as their go to mode? They don't care about match rewards as their focus is on playing this game competitively like it's an esport so why is it even they did not like Ranked Dominion?

Especially since that is the ruleset they play tournaments with.

My thought has always been they screwed up in dropping ranked 4v4 before servers, I tried one game then decided it was;t worth the hassle as I survived no longer than in a regular dominion before disconnecting, I suspect the same with many stopped it picking up early momentum.

JadeBosson.
06-27-2018, 10:23 PM
I don't like this idea im only decent / good with 2/3 characters and if they were picked i'd just have to leave/die