PDA

View Full Version : PC Specs + Complete Edition DVD

appulluk
04-21-2006, 09:17 PM
What are you running it on?

While I found the IL-2 demo to run well, now that I have the CE DVD installed and naturally it carries updates (and graphical ones at that) along the entire 1C line of sims, so it requires a bit more of your computer for performance.

However, while I don't run the beautifully-realistic water, and I toned down dynamic campaign waves (or something like that in the INI), and have done a few drop-downs of graphical options - while maintaining something good to look at...

I cannot even get through the first USAAF mission with all the bombers, the performance is so slow. I recently upgraded to 1 GB or RAM, and am running on a 2GHZ Celeron. Also an Nvidia GeForce 5600 XT 256 MB (Shader 2.0). It has to be the issue. When I built this computer, I built it for dad and I - it was his money, so I saved a little. But it was capable enough to run some games I played. I'm sure IL-2 originally would run great, but I have heard Forgotten Battles was bit more of a hog, and you see the lineage.

So what are you running the complete edition DVD on, and do you have any advice?

I really don't think I'll be able to play the DVD campaigns on this computer, not until I build my own, much better rig! Meanwhile all I can do is dogfight with a few or down some bombers in the quick mission, or train, etc.

appulluk
04-21-2006, 09:17 PM
What are you running it on?

While I found the IL-2 demo to run well, now that I have the CE DVD installed and naturally it carries updates (and graphical ones at that) along the entire 1C line of sims, so it requires a bit more of your computer for performance.

However, while I don't run the beautifully-realistic water, and I toned down dynamic campaign waves (or something like that in the INI), and have done a few drop-downs of graphical options - while maintaining something good to look at...

I cannot even get through the first USAAF mission with all the bombers, the performance is so slow. I recently upgraded to 1 GB or RAM, and am running on a 2GHZ Celeron. Also an Nvidia GeForce 5600 XT 256 MB (Shader 2.0). It has to be the issue. When I built this computer, I built it for dad and I - it was his money, so I saved a little. But it was capable enough to run some games I played. I'm sure IL-2 originally would run great, but I have heard Forgotten Battles was bit more of a hog, and you see the lineage.

So what are you running the complete edition DVD on, and do you have any advice?

I really don't think I'll be able to play the DVD campaigns on this computer, not until I build my own, much better rig! Meanwhile all I can do is dogfight with a few or down some bombers in the quick mission, or train, etc.

Maple_Tiger
04-21-2006, 09:40 PM
AMD 3000 at 2.2ghz i think

Audigy 2

BF 6800 Ultra 256mb

1 gig of PC 3200

As long as I don't use shader 3 water, the game runs smoothly. Thats at a resolution of 1024x768, 4x AA and AF.

Skycat_2
04-21-2006, 10:21 PM
I have a 1.7 GHz Pentium 4, a GeForce 4 Ti4600 card and 1+ Gb of RAM. I gave up trying to run at full settings a long time ago, both in terms of graphics and objects in the sky. The more AI planes you have, the more your CPU is divided between trying to fly them all. Also, maps dense in ground objects -- palm trees, buildings, etc. -- or AI vehicles are hard on your system.

I don't have any quick answers to give you for single missions. In the "dynamic campaign" pilot careers you can edit your conf.ini (located in your Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles game folder) to reduce the number of planes generated and to decrease the number of ground vehicles/guns in each mission. Open your conf.ini and add the following lines at the end to start yourself out:

[DGen]
AirIntensity=Low
GroundIntensity=Medium

-- You can change either of these lines to =Low, Medium, or High. Experiment with a combination that you like; I've posted what I use. I like ground attack missions but 'High' Ground Intensity was too much for the campaign I'm playing on the Normandy map.

Jumoschwanz
04-21-2006, 10:30 PM
First, no matter what rig you have, if you do not have 1 gig of ram you are not going to run to your rig's potential, doesn't matter if you have a AMD 900 or the latest and greatest.

Secondly, go into your bios and open up the AGP aperature as far as it will go! Do not listen to anyone who says there is an "optimal" setting, they are full of it.

Thirdly, yes your video card is sub-par at best. The best card for an older AGP rig like yours that would not be a waste of money, would be a good used or new ATI 9700pro or 9800pro.

If you put any more cash than what it takes to do the above into your rig, then you would be better off just putting it toward building yourself a new rig.

Jumoschwanz

appulluk
04-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Does AirIntensity affect your own squadron? It still ran poo.

I noticed, I think the issue is not so much the number of planes, because I can view them without a hassle when I crash and move my view around. But when I'm in cockpit, whether looking at them or not - it's chuggish.

The RAM was all I wanted to put into this computer anyway, but it'll probably be a year before I build my own PC up to my standards - I have other priorities over games.

Tully__
04-22-2006, 05:22 AM
P4 2.0GHz, 1GB PC2700, GF4Ti4600, Creative Vibra! 128 sound. It runs ok on excellent settings here and even on Perfect if the mission isn't too demanding. Could be better but the original IL2 was worse on my old machine and I managed on that (P3 500MHz, 378MB SD100, GF2mx, same sound card).

GoToAway
04-22-2006, 06:00 AM
Dual 2.66GHz Xeons
1024MB PC2100
GeForce 6600
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Runs fine on perfect as long as there aren't an excessive number of aircraft.

SATAN_23rd
04-22-2006, 07:21 AM
get a 9800 pro in there, it will help.

appulluk
04-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Nah when I build a new system I'm going with Nvidia, I stick with what I know and has worked for me.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
04-22-2006, 09:00 AM
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.19 GHz
1.5 GB RAM
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO2 256mb PCIe

Finally able to run the game smoothly in perfect mode, still coming to terms with it. Some of my NTRKS look a bit strange now - I fly through trees that I never saw before. I've got over the urge to grab passing strangers off the street and force them to watch, but to say I'm happy with the set up is a bit of an understatement. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

appulluk
04-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Here's something I realised...

In Single Missions / USAAF / P-47, the flight is only stuttering when I'm in cockpit view.

When I'm in 3rd-person view even looking at the flock of planes, there is no stutter (although the FPS could be better, it's respectable and playable).

fordfan25
04-22-2006, 11:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by appulluk:
Nah when I build a new system I'm going with Nvidia, I stick with what I know and has worked for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>6 one half dozen the other. the scale tilts with each new series of cards and most of the time "FX not withstanding" thers not a thimble full worth of deffernce once games get to NEED that extra power.

Fork-N-spoon
04-23-2006, 09:35 AM
I've heard many arguments that this game is "CPU" dependant. While a strong CPU is a factor, I feel that many discount how much the GPU contributes while running in either perfect mode and or resolutions above 1024x768.

If you're running 1024x768 with the game's video options set to "excellent" and you're not running any Anisotropic and Antialiasing, then yes this game is very CPU dependent. However even at 1024x768, turn on 4X antialiasing, 4X Anisotropic filtering, and or "Perfect mode," and watch this game quickly become GPU dependent. The same goes for large resolutions.

I currently have three computers that will run this game. All three computers have different CPUs, but all three take AGP cards. I will provide some data to show when this game is GPU or CPU dependent.

Test CPUs:

Celeron 1.4Ghz 100FSB socket 370 tualatin core @ 1.67Ghz 117FSB
P4 Northwood 2.4Ghz 800FSB (I will run this at two clock speeds, default and at 3.0Ghz 1000FSB)
P4 Prescott 3.4Ghz 800FSB socket T LGA 775 (I will run this at 3.6 and 3.8 Ghz)

Celeron has 1.5Gb of ram
Northwood has 1Gb of ram
Prescott has 2Gb of ram

Test GPUs:

Fx5200 Ultra 128Mb 8x AGP by PNY
6600GT 128Mb 8x AGP by PNY
6800GT 256Mb 8x AGP by Leadtek

Test conditions:

I ran two different maps, one pacific map "Marianas online" and "Online winter 2." I tested each computer with all three different GPUs. I tested off-line to make sure that the environment was exactly the same. I used the same aircraft for each test and sat on the runway to avoid any variables. I used water 3 on all tests.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/italian_girl/cockpitoffnoclouds.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/italian_girl/cockpitonclouds.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/italian_girl/10x7pfmapperfectmodeclouds.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/italian_girl/16x12marianasperfectclouds.jpg

I tested online as well and the findings were similar in terms of performance. Even though the socket 370 Celeron achieved more frames per second with the 6800GT over the P4 CPUs with the 5200Ultra that had more than twice the core clock Mhz and eight times the front side bus it was very unplayable online due to long game pauses. Both online and off-line once I reached 2,500 meters the frames per second doubled on each computer. When looking up at a cloudless sky while flying above 2,500 meters the 1.67Ghz achieved 120 frames per second and the 3.8Ghz achieved 420 frames per second regardless of whether they had the 5200Ultra, 6600GT, or 6800GT. The reason why I point out how the frame rates doubled above 2,500 meters and how high the frame rates were while looking up is to show that under these conditions this game is dependant upon the CPU not the GPU.

If you like eye candy, pacific maps, perfect mode, and water 3, then I suggest going with SLI and the 7900GT/7900GTX or ATI's Nvidia equivalent to achieve good frame rates. Under these conditions the GPU is far more critical than the CPU. While running "Perfect mode," there was little difference in performance between the 2.4Ghz 800 fsb Northwood and the 3.8Ghz 800 fsb Prescott. The 1.67Ghz Celeron with the 6800 GT out scored both the Northwood and Prescott in perfect mode if the P4s were running the 5200Ultra.

This game is only CPU dependant if you're running water zero and 1024x768 or less. Under those conditions the P4s could easily double or triple the frame rates over the 1.67Ghz Celeron regardless of which GPU I ran in the Celeron.

appulluk
04-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks much for that very informing post. Just seeing how the frames drop when cockpit is on shows my curiosity of it isn't unwarranted.

With that said I still don't think I'll be playing any campaigns or single missions including several planes. But this sim is vast enough for me to enjoy it until I can play it properly on a great setup.

Another question: in my IL2 Complete Edition directory, there are 2 11kb EXE's:

il2.exe
il2fb.exe

Any idea why?

VW-IceFire
04-23-2006, 04:56 PM
AMD 2700+ T-Bred B at 2.16GHz
Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard
nVidia Soundstorm
1GB of PC2700 RAM
XFX GeForce 6600GT

I can run Perfect mode in 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 2xAS with very decent framerates, usually in the mid-30s or 40s. My system is still a point of pride for me...it was the first one I built myself.

Tully__
04-23-2006, 06:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by appulluk:
Here's something I realised...

In Single Missions / USAAF / P-47, the flight is only stuttering when I'm in cockpit view.

When I'm in 3rd-person view even looking at the flock of planes, there is no stutter (although the FPS could be better, it's respectable and playable). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try turning off the rear view mirror. You may need to map a key for that control if you haven't already done so.

Tully__
04-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Another question: in my IL2 Complete Edition directory, there are 2 11kb EXE's:

il2.exe
il2fb.exe

Any idea why? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When FB was first released all the server browsers were configured to look for il2.exe (from the original IL2 Sturmovik game) so the game developers put a copy of the .exe file for FB (il2fb.exe) in the main game folder and renamed it il2.exe so all the older server browsers would work with no reconfiguration. The two files are identical except for the name.

Fork-N-spoon
04-23-2006, 07:19 PM
To further what Tully said to do to achieve better frames per second, try turning the clouds off completely. I've noticed that I can easily double my frame rates when the clouds are turned off. You may have to make your own missions if you want a cloudless sky. I know that turning off clouds and the cockpit decrease the emersion factor, but wouldn't you rather have it more playable than looking nice?

appulluk
04-24-2006, 12:08 AM
If I can't have it all, I don't want any of it!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Not entirely true, but clouds and cockpit are a must.

Treetop64
04-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Intel P4 3.8GHz, 2MB cache
Patriot 2GB DDR-2 RAM
ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe PCI-Express Motherboard
ATI X1900XTX 512MB
SoundBlaster Audigy 2

"Perfect" settings
Effects=2
Water=2

It may not be quite as ultimately fast as an equivelent high-end AMD FX-57 hardware setup, but it's still plenty smokin' fast, as I still average between 60 - 90 FPS during gameplay. Frequently the FPS will peak at over 130!

tagTaken2
04-24-2006, 01:15 AM
If I can't have it all, I don't want any of it!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Not entirely true, but clouds and cockpit are a must. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cockpit is a must, I agree, but clouds... I leave them in because I have frames to burn, but you can't hide in them, and the AI can...

1.7 GHz, 512MB, 9700 Mobility.

1400 * 1050, excellent settings, 4*AA, 4*AF.
~35 avg on Black Death.

Fork-N-spoon
04-24-2006, 09:56 AM
appulluk, If you want cockpit on, clouds, and eye candy... you've got to pay to play. You're going to need some very powerful GPUs because this game is GPU dependent on high graphic settings. It looks as though you're going to have to upgrade you're GPU. If you want to squeak by try picking up a used 6800GT or a 7800GS or their ATI equal. You're probably going to spend 200ish for a 6800GT AGP card over at Ebay and the 7800GS will run you about 300 American dollars over at Newegg. This is the minimum upgrade that you're going to need to make this game playable under the conditions that you want to play with. If you go this route you're probably going to need a better power supply. You could probably squeak by with a cheap 400 - 450 watt power supply with 25ish amps on the 12v rail.

Some people may tell you that your CPU is going to bottle neck the 6800GT or 7800GS, but I can assure you that these two cards will give you a significant increase in frames per second with clouds and cockpit on. It will also let you run perfect mode. Your current Fx5600 isn't even an Ultra and at this point it matters little because the Fx5xxx series cards will not run perfect mode no matter what CPU you're using. Just take a look at my benchmarks; I could only manage 1-3 frames per second with a 5200Ultra while it was in a 3.8Ghz P4. On the other hand, with my 1.67Ghz socket 370 Tualatin core Celeron I could manage 15-30 fps down low on perfect mode with cockpit and clouds on.

High graphic settings GPU
Low graphic settings CPU

I am an Intel and Nvidia fan boy, but this does not mean that I totally discount AMD and ATI. If you're looking at a budget system to run this game, the AMD Venice 3000 looks quite attractive. It's about 120 dollars with shipping and you can over clock this chip safely to 3800+ or possibly even 4000+ range. That CPU paired with a 7600GT or 7900GT (or ATI equivalent) and a Gb of ram should give you what you want. Or you could shop around at Ebay and pick up some used computer parts rather cheaply if you do your homework. Unfortunately you're going to have to shell out some dollars for the GPU no matter how you slice it.

Good luck and I feel for you. I was stuck on an old computer myself for quite a while and it was horrible! I watched my "virtual friends" move on to newer games while I sat about waiting for just one person to jump into the lobby so I could play.