PDA

View Full Version : Is the PC version gonna have another AC:O CPU problem?

The_Warhound
06-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Pls tell me Ubisoft this one isn't gonna try and melt my i7 8700k, don't think the the pc community will stand for it a second time, i know i wont.

Swailing
06-25-2018, 04:06 PM
Was that a widespread problem with the i7-8000s? My 7700k/GTX1070 ran Origins beautifully: above 60 at 1080p/Ultra, and amazingly I was able to play on a mix of med to v. high at 4k and get a pretty solid 45fps (and with a G-Sync panel, 45 looks not much different to how it does at 60)

By the way, if you are using Ultra on this series, don't. Unless you can get well above your target fps, Ultra settings are rarely worth it in any game and in this game they really aren't. It looks so good anyway, and the Ultra marks involve massive performance dips for not a lot of visual improvement. I did enjoy playing Origins maxed at 1080p, but ultimately it just wasn't as nice as seeing into the distance more clearly with 4k. The small sacrifices I made here and there to achieve this really didn't hurt the visual quality very much at all.

[edit] I should add that this is in a custom laptop build. Quite a chunky case by modern standards, and eye-wateringly expensive, but nonetheless, still an air-cooled laptop. Temperatures were fine.

MnemonicSyntax
06-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Interesting. I have an 8700k and experienced no issues myself.

I'll play today and monitor my temps.

MnemonicSyntax
06-25-2018, 07:06 PM
Been playing for an hour while streaming with SLOBS. Temps have not broken 60C.

Idle is usually 30-35C.

Frag_Maniac
06-25-2018, 10:23 PM
The main problem on optimization in AC Origins has zero to do with the Intel 8000 series CPUs. The only real problem is Fog at the max setting causes micro stutter, and the in-game vsync is not well optimized. The fog/smoke problem may be related to a memory leak, as it only happens after playing awhile. It's worst in the lighthouse of Alexandria, especially if a brazier has been lit. Turning Fog down to High (or Med depending on spec) is literally indistinguishable visually and MUCH smoother. Then just force vsync via Nvidia Inspector or RadeonPro.

Considering how amazing the game is graphically, it's pretty well optimized really. I'm running a 8700k, 1080 SC, and 16GB RAM, using all max settings at 1080p save for Fog at High, and I get 60 FPS, including at the lighthouse before the micro stutter happens. I even ran it on my i7-950, 7970, 8GB RAM rig on Med settings at 1080p no problem, and even though it didn't look quite as amazing as it does now, it still looked pretty good.

The performance problem was mentioned on Steam, and is included in the PCGamingWiki guide referred to as high CPU usage. They claim it's fixed by setting a frame rate limit, or forcing Vsync in Nvidia Inspector (or AMD control panel or RadeonPro), while using Fullscreen. They also say it affects 2 and 4 core CPUs most. Yes that helps some, but I found you have to lower Fog to really remove it. I was fighting a Pylake in Alexandria yesterday and the micro stutter was so bad it even started feeling like lag. Then I dropped Fog to High and it was much better.

It's also been claimed that using "Prefer max power" setting in Nvidia Inspector is best, but I found it no better than Nvidia Inspector's profile for the game, which uses Optimal. I also tried using 4 max prerender frames, which one guide claimed helps, but there was no difference from Nvidia Inspector's Use the 3D application setting. Nvidia Inspector's profiles work pretty well for the most part. The only time I usually modify them slightly is when in-game vsync isn't optimized very well.

Mind you this only happens after several hours of play, and it certainly wasn't temp related for me. My 8700k never goes above 60c, and my 1080 never goes above 65c.

MnemonicSyntax
06-26-2018, 01:06 AM
Personally, I've never had a problem with VSync because I use GSync. Which I find to be just... swell.

Everything else is max settings for me. No problems today after streaming it for about four hours. *shrugs*

ZONT4
10-17-2018, 05:56 AM
so it happened!!

RaReInkarnation
10-17-2018, 06:35 AM
It is NOT to gonna have another AC:O CPU problem
It HAS another AC:O CPU problem