PDA

View Full Version : Cacti in Ancient Greece?

WendysBrioche
06-25-2018, 12:58 AM
This actually isn't a criticism, it's actually a lot of praise!

Though initially I was like wt crap are cacti doing in Odyssey?

I noticed in the city of Mykonos in the Odyssey demo there's a couple Prickly Pear Cacti placed here and there throughout the city. Growing up and spending most of my life in Southwestern United States I've always heard that cacti were native exclusively to the Americas.

Despite my knowledge of this, I did some quick research after seeing the Cacti strewn about Mykonos in the AC Odyssey E3 demo, and found that Cacti were named as such for a plant that allegedly existed in Ancient Greece described by a figure named Theophrastus, called a Kaktos.

Upon further research I found that the prickly pear cactus was also named by the Spanish the Opuntia, for the Greek city of Opus, where the Kaktos plant, a spiny plant that bore edible fruit supposedly grew naturally.

If this is the reason for Cacti showing up in Mykonos that's a crazy amount of in-depth research Ubi is putting into their games, which I was already aware of, but the fact it goes much more in-depth and further than I already knew is absolutely amazing and I think says amazing things on Ubisoft's part in terms of the passion and meticulous work going into these games, both in research and in artistry!

ProdiGurl
06-25-2018, 01:08 AM
Pretty interesting. In one of the videos I saw, one of the Ubi crew said that they went to Greece and traveled all around to get a feel for the Country and do their research. I'm not into traveling at all, but that's one country that I've always wanted to visit and see.

WendysBrioche
06-25-2018, 01:19 AM
Pretty interesting. In one of the videos I saw, one of the Ubi crew said that they went to Greece and traveled all around to get a feel for the Country and do their research. I'm not into traveling at all, but that's one country that I've always wanted to visit and see.

I've been dreaming about doing a Euro trip with my Brother and friends. Problem is it'll be a long time till I have money for anything like that.

It's actually weird, come to think of it, it's AC games that had gotten me so interested in history, languages, and world cultures to begin with. I never even knew of Ottomans or Franks before AC, and Turkey's a place I really want to see along with Egypt and pretty much all over Europe. Weird lol

Mostly I want to try the food though. Want to try Mediterranean seafood and this burger place in Germany called Wald Gheist or something. And true middle eastern Shawarma yummmm.

ProdiGurl
06-25-2018, 01:28 AM
It's funny you mentioned the cactus bcuz I live in So. Cal in a semi rural area, we have those cactus all around here =).
I'm the same, I LOVE Greek food and I would SO love to try their authentic Greek food. I grew up in Lower Michigan and in our clubbing days, a few times we would visit "Greek Town" in Detroit and I think in the late 80's that was probably the most authentic Greek food that was around in Mich.
Everyone drank Ouzo there but I hated it. Really festive places.

I hope you can gather up enough $$ to travel there one day =)

WendysBrioche
06-25-2018, 01:30 AM
It's funny you mentioned the cactus bcuz I live in So. Cal in a semi rural area, we have those cactus all around here =).
I'm the same, I LOVE Greek food and I would SO love to try their authentic Greek food. I grew up in Lower Michigan and in our clubbing days, a few times we would visit "Greek Town" in Detroit and I think in the late 80's that was probably the most authentic Greek food that was around in Mich.
Everyone drank Ouzo there but I hated it. Really festive places.

I hope you can gather up enough $$ to travel there one day =)

Ya that'd be sweet! ;)

HDinHB
06-25-2018, 03:19 AM
When the trailers and stills for Rogue came out, there were many complaints that there were no penguins in the northern hemisphere. Turns out the penguiny birds were great auks which are extinct now but still around in Shay's time. I love how they not only dig up these historical tidbits, but include them in the games.

Everyone drank Ouzo there but I hated it.

Keep trying! :rolleyes:

WendysBrioche
06-25-2018, 05:17 AM
When the trailers and stills for Rogue came out, there were many complaints that there were no penguins in the northern hemisphere. Turns out the penguiny birds were great auks which are extinct now but still around in Shay's time. I love how they not only dig up these historical tidbits, but include them in the games.

Keep trying! :rolleyes:

I'm just so surprised how in-depth Ubisoft's historical research is.

I knew it was good but had no idea how far they actually go. Just some huge dedication that is rare in terms of the extent these days for this kind of entertainment!