PDA

View Full Version : Is it cancer?

MrMacju
06-25-2018, 12:38 AM
I got the free Starter Edition, but only recently began playing for real. And I absolutely love this game. Now I have enough Steel to buy my first hero, but I'm not really sure. The only ones who have caught my eye have been Nobushi and Peacekeeper. I've tried them out in training and really love their fighting styles and weaponry, the Naginata and the Dual Blades just fit me very well. But I'm still unsure whether I should get one of them, because I have heard that these specific heroes are really hated in the community. So could some veteran give me an honest opinion: Is it OK if I play them, or will I just be one of the "Cancer mains" if I do so? Should I consider other heroes?

Halvtand
06-25-2018, 12:48 AM
First off - Your choice of hero should be yours alone, never let "cancer" ruin your choice. If you like a hero, stick with it.
Second - It is not the heroes themselves, but certain moves that the heroes have that can be abused which can make them hated. This is sadly the reality of the game as it is today, and you will even face people who will spout nonsense like "oh, you play that hero, you must be trash" or similar. Just don't let it get to you, the people who say stuff like that generally don't understand the game very well.
Third - One of the big strengths of this game lies in its lineup of heroes, they are all different from each other. If you play a lot of one, switching to another may be a bit difficult at first, even within the same class. If you like PK and Nobushi, take one of them.
Fourth - With the starter set i would strongly recommend saving your steel to buy all of the starter heroes at once, that way you'll have a lot more to play around with and a real goal to work toward. I know it's a bit of a grind, but if you do all the daily missions you'll get there in no time.
Last - There are some really nice people in this community that really wants to see people grow and get better. If you have questions about anything in this game, just ask.
Welcome to For Honor, see you on the battlefield.

Vakris_One
06-25-2018, 01:01 AM
Play whoever you like best and don't pay attention to anyone trying to cast shade on you for playing a specific character. At the end of the day every single character in the roster has access to some type of cheesey move that can be abused far enough to become annoying to deal with so nobody really has any ground to criticize another character. If your opponent has a problem with your character then that's their problem and not yours.

Have fun and welcome to For Honor.

Diettiger2017
06-25-2018, 01:02 AM
^this guy totally agree any character could be *cancer* if you abuse certain moves just go with you find the most fun as that's what the games about there are people who troll but just as many who help others maybe flip a coin on which one to pick you can allways get the other at a later date.

UbiInsulin
06-25-2018, 01:18 AM
I got the free Starter Edition, but only recently began playing for real. And I absolutely love this game. Now I have enough Steel to buy my first hero, but I'm not really sure. The only ones who have caught my eye have been Nobushi and Peacekeeper. I've tried them out in training and really love their fighting styles and weaponry, the Naginata and the Dual Blades just fit me very well. But I'm still unsure whether I should get one of them, because I have heard that these specific heroes are really hated in the community. So could some veteran give me an honest opinion: Is it OK if I play them, or will I just be one of the "Cancer mains" if I do so? Should I consider other heroes?

Definitely agree with the majority opinion here. If you beat people there's always a chance they'll feel salty. If you're having fun, that's what matters.

There isn't really community consensus on all of these heroes, either. Some definitely get more hate than others. But hero balance can always be subject to change anyway, so to me it wouldn't make much sense to pick a hero based on anything other than what personally appeals to you.

ArmoredChocobo
06-25-2018, 01:32 AM
If Nobushi is hated it would surprise me, cuz her heavies are slow and super-punishable

Alustar.
06-25-2018, 01:32 AM
Honestly, it doesn't matter which hero you use, someone is going to hate you for it. So you might as well be hatred doing something you enjoy. Plus if they hate you a lot, it typically means you are doing something right!

IllegalFishButt
06-25-2018, 04:22 AM
Play whatever you want.
Currently the only people yelling 'cancer' are those players that are incapable of playing the game efficiently or well.
Have fun playing For Honor!

MrMacju
06-25-2018, 08:37 AM
Every single answer to this post has been a joy to read. I think I've found one of the friendliest communities out there, at least based on first opinion. Thank you, everyone.

DrinkinMehStella
06-25-2018, 09:25 AM
play which one feels good to you, for example you may use PK and find her moveset isn't to your liking and then you might play orochi and find you do amazing with him so just play around with different heroes and find your main

CSaunders95
06-25-2018, 10:20 AM
Nobushi is a really good character, Nobushi main here, rep 45 and a total account rep of 68.
I'd get Nobushi definitely, master the hidden stance and things become sweet.

SpaceJim12
06-25-2018, 10:52 AM
Definitely agree with the majority opinion here. If you beat people there's always a chance they'll feel salty. If you're having fun, that's what matters.

I just can see, how PK spam zone-cancel all the time and have fun still.=)
Unfortunatly, some people just have fun when ruin game for others.
Still, I could say the only cancer in For honor is some players, but deffenetly not characters. I see a lot of cool fights and duels with Nobu and PK, so they can be awesome in right hands.
And most salt happend not cause someone beat someone else, I think. Salty happend, when people use weaknesses of system, abuse any easy-win sitations and just make game a little pain.

HazelrahFirefly
06-25-2018, 12:19 PM
I concur that you should just play who you want. Dont know if you've heard of Shaman, but many for some reason still consider her cancer and she is my main now (until/unless a good Valk rework comes in).

David_gorda
06-25-2018, 02:58 PM
Most of the classes could be considered cancer it depends how you play them, but just play what you want to play and play them the way you want to play and ignore the haters.

Halvtand
06-25-2018, 03:00 PM
Every single answer to this post has been a joy to read. I think I've found one of the friendliest communities out there, at least based on first opinion. Thank you, everyone.

I wish you were right about that. Sadly there is quite a lot of hate going around here. As a long time player of Mount&Blade I miss the friendly and helpful tone of their forum.
However, you should not be discouraged, there are kind souls around here as well, some of which has posted in this thread. Just... Don't look at the "Nerf X"-threads and you'll be fine.

Jazz117Volkov
06-25-2018, 03:00 PM
Nobushi is a lot of fun. She has some of the best fashion and her damage output is amazing

Don't let the haters ruin things for you, everyone has some special noise they need to make. Play the stuff you like and have fun with it.

Armosias
06-25-2018, 05:15 PM
Wait a bit till you read a flamewar before saying this. This forum is also full of salty trolls who only rant at the broken dead game For Honor is. And honestly I think we're not more than 1 hundred roaming around here daily sadly

DrinkinMehStella
06-25-2018, 05:23 PM

the regular faces on here which your get too know who they are, they are the helpful ones who keep the community alive and keep new players feeling welcomed. you might see some salty threads being posted telling thew devs to die and this games this and this games that, just ignore them.

chukblok
06-25-2018, 06:14 PM
This is the best advice i can give you...
Pick which hero you were drawn to naturally. which hero you just loved the concept of right away. Aesthetically. take a look at all the executions etc.
dont be like me and flip flop for a year just because you have some bad days...and good days. because then youll end up with every hero and low-mid rep range and still unable to make your mind up

Halvtand
06-25-2018, 07:30 PM
This is the best advice i can give you...
Pick which hero you were drawn to naturally. which hero you just loved the concept of right away. Aesthetically. take a look at all the executions etc.
dont be like me and flip flop for a year just because you have some bad days...and good days. because then youll end up with every hero and low-mid rep range and still unable to make your mind up

Don't put yourself down like that. I flop around plenty. It's actually pretty nice to be able to play a wider range of characters sort of rather than just knowing one really well. It means that you'll be able to adapt and change if you face the same people over several matches. It might be your greatest strength.

Arekonator
06-25-2018, 07:38 PM
In 2018, everything is cancer.
Harvest the salt, harvest the hatemail, harvest the death threats. Thats where the real fun comes from.

FatFreeIce
06-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Pick nobushi if you want to learn mechanics better. But really pick whatever you want. I find pk extremely dull as she has like 4 moves but hey if you like it play it. If you for some reason can't stand hate mail just shut off your mail lol.

voiddp
06-26-2018, 02:19 PM
Pick nobushi if you want to learn mechanics better. But really pick whatever you want. I find pk extremely dull as she has like 4 moves but hey if you like it play it. If you for some reason can't stand hate mail just shut off your mail lol.

Also got the free starter and playing it..
Chosen the samurai faction so nobush is playable. And also unlocked PK, they are both fun but somewhat hard to play on side of maining kensei.
But.. on the second thought i would better waited with spending 8k for PK
Because if you wait for 50k, you can unlock all heroes for 5.55k each. And after you spend 8k on hero, total unlock sum will get only 5.55k lesser from 50k to 44.44k. So thats 2.45k steel that gets wasted on each manual unlock of hero.

And if you will play actively, that is not that big amount to get. In around of 2 weeks of doing quests and playing or maybe even less.
As example I now have around 25k of 44k i need after a week of playing in the evenings.

And if you have PK or Nobushi playable but not unlocked - definitely wait for full unlock with that char. Customizing char on these lower levels or rep wont make any noticable difference in 4vs4 at all. Just play with it for fun and hoard more steel.