PDA

View Full Version : New players: Read this post if you are having problems parrying or blocking.

Archeun
06-24-2018, 08:09 PM
Change your dead zone in controller configuration. t makes all the difference in the world.

Also, don't get discouraged by the toxic and elitist attitudes of some people in this game. It's not just an issue of "Git Gud." For Honor has a wide variety of issues. The best advice I can give you is to practice as much as possible.

chugga1961
06-24-2018, 10:11 PM
What do you set yours to?

Archeun
06-24-2018, 10:24 PM
@Chugga1961: I'm set at 1.

chugga1961
06-25-2018, 12:21 AM
Thats default setting.

Halvtand
06-25-2018, 12:52 AM
Thats default setting.

Really? My default was 8 or something. Almost had to have the stick all the way out before my character would move. I have mine set to 3 because i flick the stick sometimes and that keeps it from switching block direction as the stick resets.

Alustar.
06-25-2018, 01:49 PM
By far the most helpful thread right now, this needs more attention

DrinkinMehStella
06-25-2018, 01:54 PM
so basically deadzone is the point in which the guard knows when to switch? so the smaller the deadzone the more sensitive the the guard switch is? well if that s right then I will do it straight away

Vakris_One
06-25-2018, 02:09 PM
I'm kinda happy with the default. Too much sensitivity and that starts to mess with the full block characters.

PDXGorechild
06-25-2018, 02:27 PM
I was sceptical when I first read this but I tried it out last night and OH MY GOD, life just got so much easier! Wish i'd known this 18 months ago :nonchalance:

No more screaming at the TV, shouting "I FCKING BLOCKED THAT!" after I slammed the thumbstick one way and nothing happened, resulting in my death.

Archeun, you are a saint.

DrinkinMehStella
06-25-2018, 02:28 PM
I will try later but im using aramusha atm so hopefully im not full blocking by accident lol

Halvtand
06-25-2018, 03:06 PM
so basically deadzone is the point in which the guard knows when to switch? so the smaller the deadzone the more sensitive the the guard switch is? well if that s right then I will do it straight away

Just for clarification. The "dead zone" is the zone closest to neutral for the stick in which no input is given. A high (large) dead zone means that you can move your stick around a bit before the controller will react to your input. A low (small) dead zone means that your controller will start registering inputs fairly quickly. For games such a FH this is useful as you'll only have to move the stick a little to switch your block. This makes blocking faster and more reliable which in turn makes parrying easier as long as you have the correct timing for it.

DrinkinMehStella
06-25-2018, 03:20 PM
Just for clarification. The "dead zone" is the zone closest to neutral for the stick in which no input is given. A high (large) dead zone means that you can move your stick around a bit before the controller will react to your input. A low (small) dead zone means that your controller will start registering inputs fairly quickly. For games such a FH this is useful as you'll only have to move the stick a little to switch your block. This makes blocking faster and more reliable which in turn makes parrying easier as long as you have the correct timing for it.

ahh thanks, there should defiantly be more awareness of the deadzone and its function for new players.

Alustar.
06-25-2018, 05:28 PM
I was sceptical when I first read this but I tried it out last night and OH MY GOD, life just got so much easier! Wish i'd known this 18 months ago :nonchalance:

No more screaming at the TV, shouting "I FCKING BLOCKED THAT!" after I slammed the thumbstick one way and nothing happened, resulting in my death.

Archeun, you are a saint.

-_- I told you about this the month we started playing...

Alustar.
06-25-2018, 05:30 PM
I'd also like to add that learning parry timings on unblockables is very key. Start shutting those down early and your gameplay will see marked improvement.

dizzy-glad
06-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Zero deadzone is best deadzone

UbiInsulin
06-25-2018, 07:34 PM
Change your dead zone in controller configuration. t makes all the difference in the world.

Also, don't get discouraged by the toxic and elitist attitudes of some people in this game. It's not just an issue of "Git Gud." For Honor has a wide variety of issues. The best advice I can give you is to practice as much as possible.

Thanks to both of you for raising awareness of how tweaking this setting can be massively helpful for people!

Archeun
06-25-2018, 11:43 PM
Ubi: It really makes a huge difference.

PDXGorechild
06-25-2018, 11:52 PM
-_- I told you about this the month we started playing...

Lmao was probably too stoned to remember to do it :)

Alustar.
06-26-2018, 12:52 AM
Lmao was probably too stoned to remember to do it :)

I thought you did do it at one pint, I know you are messing around with lay out selections, don't know how you skipped the tuning section

EgoDissolves
06-27-2018, 11:54 AM
Oh...Ohhhhh. Thank you dude, Im a new player and this helped immensely.