PDA

View Full Version : Two greatest innovative contributions of AC 1 to the entire gaming industry

crusader_prophet
06-23-2018, 01:47 PM
Social Stealth and 3rd person Parkour (granted it was derivative of PoP)...where are they now and what is their future? Two mechanics for which AC (UbiSoft) was hailed for contributing to the industry have been abandoned. Parkour reduced to generic fluid running for the sake of vast open world, and social stealth - gone.

People started to hate the tailing missions and chase missions in later entries, complained about them...but I don't think the solution or the ask was to get rid of them, rather innovate on those mechanics and make them more interesting in future installments.

I also thought narrative delivery with balanced player agency was AC 1, AC 2 and AC Revelation's biggest accomplishments...where is it now? Division esque "echo" cut-scenes.

The following trailer for Origins had given me hope, alas that wasn't the case:

https://youtu.be/eKN7RTTczTw

HDinHB
06-24-2018, 12:06 AM
These used to be considered two of the three core gameplay pillars of the series.

MnemonicSyntax
06-24-2018, 04:28 AM
Both of these facets are in games before they had exist as mainstream of we're talking timeline wise.

MnemonicSyntax
06-24-2018, 04:55 AM
Both of these facets are in games before they had exist as mainstream of we're talking timeline wise.

Frag_Maniac
06-24-2018, 09:42 PM
These used to be considered two of the three core gameplay pillars of the series.
Replaced with Fantasy and RPG as pillars. LOL

May as well call it Assassin's Greed. They're using a lame attempt to bring in players from other genres. It bastardizes the theme and convolutes the story so much it no longer makes any sense.

WendysBrioche
06-25-2018, 12:45 AM
Social Stealth and 3rd person Parkour (granted it was derivative of PoP)...where are they now and what is their future? Two mechanics for which AC (UbiSoft) was hailed for contributing to the industry have been abandoned. Parkour reduced to generic fluid running for the sake of vast open world, and social stealth - gone.

People started to hate the tailing missions and chase missions in later entries, complained about them...but I don't think the solution or the ask was to get rid of them, rather innovate on those mechanics and make them more interesting in future installments.

I also thought narrative delivery with balanced player agency was AC 1, AC 2 and AC Revelation's biggest accomplishments...where is it now? Division esque "echo" cut-scenes.

The following trailer for Origins had given me hope, alas that wasn't the case:

https://youtu.be/eKN7RTTczTw

Honestly liked tailing missions a lot. I've got about 20% completion in Origins (huge procrastinator here), haven't seen a tailing mission yet, but if they are indeed absent that's a bit of a let down.

I will say the tailing missions did get a bit tedious, but like you say I think that had more do do with the state of tailing missions in the older games rather than the potential for the mechanic. Honestly I think it would be simple to change up tailing missions a bit to make them more fun. more crowds to blend in with, environmentally there was plenty of cover.

AC III, Black Flag, and Unity all had amazing environments for taking cover and Unity's cover system was absolutely amazing, I honestly thought it was going to become a permanent addition to the franchise in terms of improving the mechanic. Elements of it are still there in Origins, though it is a bit stripped down.

crusader_prophet
06-25-2018, 12:56 AM
Honestly liked tailing missions a lot. I've got about 20% completion in Origins (huge procrastinator here), haven't seen a tailing mission yet, but if they are indeed absent that's a bit of a let down.

I will say the tailing missions did get a bit tedious, but like you say I think that had more do do with the state of tailing missions in the older games rather than the potential for the mechanic. Honestly I think it would be simple to change up tailing missions a bit to make them more fun. more crowds to blend in with, environmentally there was plenty of cover.

AC III, Black Flag, and Unity all had amazing environments for taking cover and Unity's cover system was absolutely amazing, I honestly thought it was going to become a permanent addition to the franchise in terms of improving the mechanic. Elements of it are still there in Origins, though it is a bit stripped down.

That's what I thought will happen when I saw the trailer above. It indicates of being blended amongst the oppressed and having hidden ones as assets in groups where it is least suspicious. I genuinely thought that was going to be a mechanic, to be able to install a hidden one deep into an official's base, let the asset mature and strike when the time is right. Like true assassinations by skilled assassins. I got an Exodus style vibe in there from the trailer. Seeing the oppression I thoguth it will be more evident and the driver to relieve people as well as avenging the death of his son will be delivered stronger and more urgently. Nah it's just guns blazing or shoot controllable arrows from distance. Absolutely no strategy implementation. Nothing remotely concept of assassination in the gameplay.

ProdiGurl
06-25-2018, 12:58 AM

I will say the tailing missions did get a bit tedious, but like you say I think that had more do do with the state of tailing missions in the older games rather than the potential for the mechanic. Honestly I think it would be simple to change up tailing missions a bit to make them more fun. more crowds to blend in with, environmentally there was plenty of cover..
I loved those missions too. One of my favorites in Brotherhood was the one with the murdered Prostitutes. Tailing can be tedious but I think it's something a real assassin would have to do alot of.
I would love at least 1 mission that involved tailing our target.