PDA

View Full Version : Parries

Vixence
06-20-2018, 07:21 PM
Im sorry for posting this thread but can any1 explain how the parry system working rn
its just so confusing for me when i parry heavy its 20\80 for me to punish it with side heavy
and when i parry lights its not 100% chance to punish it from the top (even when i parried zerks\raider lights it wasnt 100% SIDE heavy for me...did it twice for left and right and have been blocked by them)

tl;dr
light parry -> 100% punish top heavy?
heavy parry -> 100% punish side heavy?

ps. i dont think its connection problems (~30 ms) but after a parry sometimes im just mashing that heavy button with no effect becuz im frustrated why am i even bother parrying

Knight_Raime
06-20-2018, 07:27 PM
I think I understand.
So the GENERAL rule of thumb is if you parry a heavy you get a light. And if you parry a light you get a heavy.

There are exceptions. "parry counter" for those who have one can do it on any parry. Attack speeds are what dictate what side you get your light parry punishes on.
As an example. Kensei's Side heavy is faster than his top heavy. So when he gets a light parry he has to go for a side heavy. Where as someone like Centurion has a fast heavy. Which enables him to get a heavy on either a light parry OR a heavy parry from any side.

Here is a link to a spread sheet that has everyone's punishes. It's missing some of the more elaborate ones but you don't really need to know those at the moment: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wK-38XMvSakPMEk2rx8KjAzQFF5MJt_c7XMxNidYVfc/edit#gid=0

HazelrahFirefly
06-20-2018, 07:40 PM
To add in -

There is a blue'ish electric proof effect if you get light parry. That's how you know to go for a Heavy attack. As you play you'll learn the moves of the enemy and won't even need the effect any longer.

Vixence
06-20-2018, 08:10 PM
Thanks for clarifying it, didnt know it depends on attack speed. its just a bit confusing when u caught in a heavy parry and enemy successfully performs heavies while u cant do that

Knight_Raime
06-20-2018, 08:23 PM
Thanks for clarifying it, didnt know it depends on attack speed. its just a bit confusing when u caught in a heavy parry and enemy successfully performs heavies while u cant do that

No problem! It seems weird at first but once you get used to the game it will make sense.

Fairemont
06-20-2018, 09:45 PM
If you want to learn how this works play Nobushi and you'll find yourself a master of everyone else's parry punishes.

UbiJurassic
06-21-2018, 02:55 AM
Awesome job clarifying how parrying works everyone! You all are the best! ;)

SanaMinatozaki-
06-21-2018, 03:46 AM
I think I understand.
So the GENERAL rule of thumb is if you parry a heavy you get a light. And if you parry a light you get a heavy.

There are exceptions. "parry counter" for those who have one can do it on any parry. Attack speeds are what dictate what side you get your light parry punishes on.
As an example. Kensei's Side heavy is faster than his top heavy. So when he gets a light parry he has to go for a side heavy. Where as someone like Centurion has a fast heavy. Which enables him to get a heavy on either a light parry OR a heavy parry from any side.

Here is a link to a spread sheet that has everyone's punishes. It's missing some of the more elaborate ones but you don't really need to know those at the moment: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wK-38XMvSakPMEk2rx8KjAzQFF5MJt_c7XMxNidYVfc/edit#gid=0

Hi knight_raime sir,

Thanks you for the useful excel. Can I ask you two questions?
1. How do I differentiate whether I did a light parry or heavy parry? is there some kind of animation or indication? or i must always recall enemy attack whether is light or heavy attack?
2. The excel share about OOS, wall punish and parries but never indicate successful guardbreak what should be the best guaranteed attack?

Knight_Raime
06-21-2018, 06:29 AM
Hi knight_raime sir,

Thanks you for the useful excel. Can I ask you two questions?
1. How do I differentiate whether I did a light parry or heavy parry? is there some kind of animation or indication? or i must always recall enemy attack whether is light or heavy attack?
2. The excel share about OOS, wall punish and parries but never indicate successful guardbreak what should be the best guaranteed attack?

A light parry is when you parry a light attack. and a heavy parry is when you parry a heavy attack. When you parry a light attack you get a loud audio que with a blue ish flash and a decent bit of sparks that fly.

So in the spread sheet Guard breaks are typically used for throws when someone is out of stamina or near a surface you can splat someone on. So the first bit of the spread sheet has a section called "OOS throw" and then below it are 2 sections "with wall" and "without wall." So all you have to do is find your hero in that section and you'll see what is considered the most possible damage from a throw in both of those instances. The chart does a decent job of explaining exactly how it must be done as well so no real confusion.

Also the final section of the sheet on the far right has a section called "true combos/lesser known attributes" Here it will note things that are kind of special if any exist for a hero. Like for instance on the shaman if you manage to guard break someone you can heavy>soft feint>top light which makes you get a guaranteed bleed poke proc from a guard break. Alternatively right next to this section wall punishes is a section. This is where you'd also see punishes related to guard breaks.