PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY! An interesting Skill Tree...

LaMOi
06-19-2018, 08:42 PM
https://youtu.be/p

This is the first Skill Tree in a Ubisoft game that Iíve seen (in a long time) that actually has an interesting array of actual new abilities!

Itís not simply a collection of boring passive buffs, and returning abilities from previous games...

Now I know there are some abilities here from the previous game, but loads of cool looking new abilities.

I have high hopes for this game.

quanzaizai
06-19-2018, 09:23 PM
the down side of this one is air bow shot, leap attack and push attack (hold light attack) are removed. disapointed :(

karoomii
06-19-2018, 10:01 PM
I don't plan on getting into combat unless it's required by the story. Not a fan of it in Odyssey nor was I fan of it in Origins, so more I'm not interested in most of the skill tree. The stealth ones seem pretty promising...especially that leap of faith one where you spread your arms and spin in the air lol. It looks pretty badassóalmost reminds me of Unity's parkour.

cawatrooper9
06-19-2018, 10:17 PM
the down side of this one is air bow shot, leap attack and push attack (hold light attack) are removed. disapointed :(

Did you use Elite Ranger (slow motion air shot) much?

I ask because it was one of the skills I was most excited for, but at release I rarely found much of a reason to use it. If I was sniping people with my bow, I generally was already trying to avoid combat anyway.

Ironically, there was a similar ability in Shadow of War that I used pretty heavily.

Frag_Maniac
06-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Until they add the ability to keep shields in your inventory, which they should have since the clothing and combat are Spartan style, it will not be comprehensive enough, no matter what amount of new abilities they added. I'd even be OK if the game started out without that ability, as a survival type thing or recovery after losing the one you had when you were an actual Spartan, but constantly having to pick up shields of enemies and not being able to keep them is not acceptable.

As far as use of bows, it was pretty dicey in the early going in Origins until you did a lot of grinding to upgrade the stabilizer glove, and even then the slow mo jump shot was horrible compared to Shadow of War as mentioned. Hope they learned from that mistake in this one.

ProdiGurl
06-19-2018, 10:24 PM
I'm with the OP on this one, it's AMAZING. It was really easy to pick my skills in Origins bcuz I didn't want so many of them & rarely used the bows except to hunt. So none of my points went into the Bow skills. But now they'll basically be our 'darts' too. I used alot of darts.
Now I have the opposite problem if you can call that a problem.
The Spear replacing the blade is so kool too - more ways to use it. I'm totally excited.

Abilities video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTzxAS4Tn1k

Frag_Maniac
06-20-2018, 04:36 AM
Abilities video

Learn how to embed videos. You didn't even paste that link right. The link tab is 3 to the left of the video tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waz6PMUNSPE&feature=youtu.be

So I have to be curious what more ways to use it in this crazy RPG means. Are they like prying open oysters with it? I mean because some of their design decisions kinda get me right in the oysters if ya know what I mean. LOL

quanzaizai
06-20-2018, 09:11 AM
Did you use Elite Ranger (slow motion air shot) much?

I ask because it was one of the skills I was most excited for, but at release I rarely found much of a reason to use it. If I was sniping people with my bow, I generally was already trying to avoid combat anyway.

Ironically, there was a similar ability in Shadow of War that I used pretty heavily.
not much but enough to feel it needed and what is cooler than shooting in the air my friend.

ProdiGurl
06-20-2018, 10:20 AM
Learn how to embed videos. You didn't even paste that link right. The link tab is 3 to the left of the video tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waz6PMUNSPE&feature=youtu.be

So I have to be curious what more ways to use it in this crazy RPG means. Are they like prying open oysters with it? I mean because some of their design decisions kinda get me right in the oysters if ya know what I mean. LOL
Wow, a personalized tutorial, ! I feel so special :cool: I used the 'link' option & got nothing - no wonder.

Anyway, well you know how players ask for variety & kool combat moves... but esp. changing out the blade for the spear, they needed to amp it up to be worth changing it out. From what I see, I won't be missing that blade any & I really like that they're tying it in as a Relic.

Frag_Maniac
06-20-2018, 11:29 PM
Anyway, well you know how players ask for variety & kool combat moves... but esp. changing out the blade for the spear, they needed to amp it up to be worth changing it out. From what I see, I won't be missing that blade any & I really like that they're tying it in as a Relic.
Yeah but you were saying there's "more ways to use it". I thought you meant more ways than you can use the hidden blade All I've seen so far is just air attack, stab or throat slit. With hidden blades you could do MANY animations. You could do air attack, double air attack, double ground attack, silent walking back stab (great in crowds), running attack, stab from bench and place corpse on bench, running multiple stabs with lined up enemies, etc. Now I'm sure many of these will be possible with spear too, but not the double ones where you had two hidden blades. You may be able to toss the spear tip though, which would be the only thing you can't do with hidden blade. However some games had the ability to shoot things out of the hidden blade.

Anyways, even these are just different animations, not different uses. They're all just assassination moves, so same use.

quanzaizai
06-20-2018, 11:35 PM
Yeah but you were saying there's "more ways to use it". I thought you meant more ways than you can use the hidden blade All I've seen so far is just air attack, stab or throat slit. With hidden blades you could do MANY animations. You could do air attack, double air attack, double ground attack, silent walking back stab (great in crowds), running attack, stab from bench and place corpse on bench, running multiple stabs with lined up enemies, etc. Now I'm sure many of these will be possible with spear too, but not the double ones where you had two hidden blades.

Anyways, even these are just different animations, not different uses. They're all just assassination moves, so same use.

All those moves ofcourse they are all useable with spear even the spear potentialy has way more move. The problem is how much move they want to put in the game, that's what matter.

Beside that I just found out the skill for warrior is really less impressive than ACO. You can check out my post "ACO actually has better fight mechanic" for more info.

ProdiGurl
06-21-2018, 02:13 AM
What's also important is that the broken spear is a 1st Civ. relic... I would think people who believe Lore is imperative would want to see the relic addition into the game, the story it comes with and I don't doubt at all that they're laying down some AC precedent to that time.. We've played w/ the blade every game & it's more limited from what I see in its use - namely you can throw it & I do like the moves they've given to it.
I don't think it's any sacrifice not to have the regular blade in this game & I like the change from what I see in gameplay footage.

Frag_Maniac
06-21-2018, 02:27 AM
All those moves ofcourse they are all useable with spear....
Except how would you do a double assassinate with one spear tip? Also, doesn't it have a special power a bit like a PoE? When I see Alexio turning gold when using it I'm thinking, wow, that's too much power to have early on in the game. Usually that kind of thing is reserved for the end of the game after finding a PoE where you're facing tons of enemies. I mean I know the Spartans were very tough, but not invincible. You have to have some amount of challenge for the victories to be rewarding.

As far as replacing the regular blade, it depends how many weapon slots we get for other weapons. I'd rather have the option to use a sword if I choose. I would hate it if we were forced to carry spear and spear tip and only be able to hold regular swords and shields temporarily. In Origins sometimes I'd equip two types of swords. It has swords with very different abilities, even in how they use Overpower.

ProdiGurl
06-21-2018, 02:59 AM
>>>You could do air attack, double air attack, double ground attack, silent walking back stab (great in crowds), running attack, stab from bench and place corpse on bench, running multiple stabs with lined up enemies, etc. <<<
I don't remember doing any double kills with the blade in Origins . . If we could, I didn't do any double kills w/ my blade.
I don't think we could do all those things w/ the blade(s) in each game - maybe one or two things per game?

cawatrooper9
06-21-2018, 02:01 PM
Yeah but you were saying there's "more ways to use it". I thought you meant more ways than you can use the hidden blade All I've seen so far is just air attack, stab or throat slit. With hidden blades you could do MANY animations. You could do air attack, double air attack, double ground attack, silent walking back stab (great in crowds), running attack, stab from bench and place corpse on bench, running multiple stabs with lined up enemies, etc. Now I'm sure many of these will be possible with spear too, but not the double ones where you had two hidden blades. You may be able to toss the spear tip though, which would be the only thing you can't do with hidden blade. However some games had the ability to shoot things out of the hidden blade.

I think it might have been during the press conference, but I believe they listed some of the other possible moves, including a ranged attack with the spear.

Don't quote me on that, though. I'll see if I can find that clip later today.

Frag_Maniac
06-21-2018, 10:47 PM
Pretty sure one of the gameplay footage vids I saw of someone that had early demo access showed the spear being thrown, which is probably the ranged.

And on double assassinate I was referring to earlier AC games, as when you said more uses you did not specify any games you were comparing to.

Anyways, I feel the more crucial thing is they are not really adhering to the AMA promise of offering more realistic combat by not unlocking certain over the top abilities. A Roll move that is so effective you don't need a shield should be an ability that replaces use of shield, as should be the Leonidas spear, which would replace use of normal dagger. That way everyone's happy, you can play one way or the other, and they're even offering respec of abilities at any time now.

Another way to say it is in the movie Troy, Achilles had many very fancy moves, more so than the hero in Odyssey, yet he still used a shield. Yeah I know this is a game that has fantasy elements, but if they're going to consult an expert in ancient Greece to craft the world, and claim to offer the ability to customize combat to be realistic, then don't force powerful artifact weapons on us, and moves that make the shield unnecessary. It's disingenuous, arcade, and unrealistic.