PDA

View Full Version : Advice from warden mains

DrinkinMehStella
06-19-2018, 01:19 PM
I really really want to get good with warden, I love hit customisation and his overall look. when ever ive played him in the past I just give up because his kit just doesn't compare to most of the roster but I would love to be decent with warden and with his rework coming, I would like to get to know how to use him now so Im ready for it. I want to know parry punishes, how to use SB effectively, do I play him passively or aggressively, when to feint etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jazz117Volkov
06-19-2018, 01:57 PM
The Warden has one of the strongest defensive combos in the game (crushing counter strike + shoulder bash + side light combo; the shoulder bash is guaranteed off of crushing counter 99% of the time, Orochi and anything with hyper armour can dodge out), and you've also got the shoulder bash to attack with.

Your punishes are:
Heavy parry = side light combo : 24 damage. (Feel out your opponent first to pick a shoulder bash option, if they're dodgy, cancel to guard break, if they like to poke you, feint into parry, etc.)
Light parry = top heavy : 40 damage.
Top attack = crushing counter strike (40) + shoulder bash + side light combo (24) : 64 damage.

OOS parry = side heavy(30) + top heavy(40) : 70 damage.
OOS throw = side heavy(30) + top heavy(40) : 70 damage.

Note: getting both heavies off on an OOS throw takes a bit of practice, and if you screw it up you won't get either heavy, so until you're confident, only use your top heavy (40 damage) on OOS throws.

Top light is your bread and butter. It's 500 ms, 15 damage, and has excellent range, (but it does have a long recovery), and gives you access to CCS. Use top light to interrupt CC moves, but it's also quite effective if you side feint into top light, be careful though, experienced players watch for it like a hawk. Another good opener is deliberately whiffing a light and then shoulder bash; a lot of player instinctively go to punish whiffs, so you'll have already set up your response. If they're a slower character you may be able to get away with charging your bash in these situations, but it's a risk.

Side feint into side dodge into shoulder bash. This one is one of my favourites, it lands a lot, and you can keep pressure with your vortex or finish your side light combo with a top heavy. Feinting it can bait a CCS opportunity, but most people know about that nowadays, so you're better off letting it fly early on to build parry confidence, then hit them with the CCS mix-up later.

Other viable mix-ups are obviously feint into guard break, and also do a walking forward feint into a back dash and shoulder bash.

Use shoulder bash feint to bait CC moves and side dodge attacks. It's great against Orochis, Gladiators, and Kenseis, Conqs and Lawbringers. (for some reason Berserkers almost never side dodge attack a shoulder bash). And in the case of Orochi, that's an easy light parry for your 40 damage top heavy riposte. Gladiators are a little trickier to parry out of your feint, but even if you block them I'm pretty sure it's still a free guard break. Also, use your bash feint against Nobushi, she loves to prod you with lights while you vortex, so you'll start getting easy top heavies if you feint.

The Warden's side heavy feints are some of the best in the game. They're super responsive and let you parry from other directions after falling for a bait. Don't be afraid to throw them out on occasion after getting a top heavy punish. You'd be surprised how often people either don't react to side heavy finishers, or fail to parry them.

And since the shoulder bash is your strongest opener, learn to be light on your feet. It can be risky using your dodge too much, but get used to dodging unblockable, you can punish a lot of them with a charged shoulder bash which guarantees a top heavy. Charged bash is only guaranteed on a few moves, typically unblockable finishers like Raider, Kensei, and Lawbringer, but it's also guaranteed against Caber Toss.

If you've successfully intimidated your opponent (a good tell is they try to dodge everything) mix-up your vortex with a charged bash. Good chance they'll dodge early and get got; there's your 40 damage.

When to vortex? When you're dictating the fight. A lot of characters have "that thing they do", Raider is stunning tap and fury, Kensei is top heavy soft cancels, Lawbringer is shove heavy etc. the Vortex is no different. It's not magic, use it to ruin someone's day in a fight you're already dictating. Never lean on it against a veteran, they'll wreck you. Against characters with dodge attacks, typically I feint my bash and get a few parries early in the fight to scare them away from their dodge attacks, then you can start to press on them with cancel into guardbreak, because they'll want to dodge the bash but not get parried (the Warden's poker face is amazing). And these are the guys who'll get jumpy and you can smack them good with a charged bash because that 50/50 is really a 24/24/24/24 and 4% fcuk you.

Hope this gives you some ideas and insight.

DrinkinMehStella
06-19-2018, 02:17 PM
you sir I salute you. This was a perfect description and explanation from clearly an expert warden to a noob warden and you delivered it spot on, I understood what your talking about and it made a lot of sense and i'm sure it will help me in my quest to be a good warden. so basically I want to control the fight by not being too aggressive but instead playing mind games by feinting and picking away their health. Also i don't recall you mentioning the zone, at what point is that most effective.

Jazz117Volkov
06-19-2018, 02:39 PM
You're very welcome.

And yeah, that's the basic idea. The Warden is a lot about reading the fight. Since your primary attacks chain into each other, you can press on someone for quite a while, just know how much you can bite off.

The zone... I legit forgot to mention it...it's because I don't use it much, because I formed most of my Warden habits when the zone was unsafe (it used to guarantee a guardbreak if blocked. F that noise). But, since you ask, there's a few choice times to use zone.

Ledge people; Warden's zone has a knockback property, like heavy attacks, so following a parry or simply against someone unsuspecting, you can use your zone to knock them off ledges or into hazards. It's great when you're outnumbered and you pop revenge. It attacks in a large arc so it'll clip most people around your front and right side. It can also be a good option to follow a bash feint if your opponent is overly defensive and knows all your tricks. It only does 20 damage, but the hit effect is quite disorientating, it knocks you about if you're caught with it. It also has excellent reach, so it's a good option if someone is OOS dodging or trying to run.

Otherwise, use it sparingly, it's fast, but it can become a crutch and you'll run yourself out of stamina.

A final gem though, use it against Kensei's top heavy soft feints. Go into high guard and zone attack instead of parrying. Since the zone input uses the heavy attack button, if they commit to that attack, you will parry it, otherwise the zone attack will come out and interrupt their soft feint. I rarely remember to do this, but it's surprisingly effective.

DrinkinMehStella
06-19-2018, 03:03 PM
You're very welcome.

And yeah, that's the basic idea. The Warden is a lot about reading the fight. Since your primary attacks chain into each other, you can press on someone for quite a while, just know how much you can bite off.

The zone... I legit forgot to mention it...it's because I don't use it much, because I formed most of my Warden habits when the zone was unsafe (it used to guarantee a guardbreak if blocked. F that noise). But, since you ask, there's a few choice times to use zone.

Ledge people; Warden's zone has a knockback property, like heavy attacks, so following a parry or simply against someone unsuspecting, you can use your zone to knock them off ledges or into hazards. It's great when you're outnumbered and you pop revenge. It attacks in a large arc so it'll clip most people around your front and right side. It can also be a good option to follow a bash feint if your opponent is overly defensive and knows all your tricks. It only does 20 damage, but the hit effect is quite disorientating, it knocks you about if you're caught with it. It also has excellent reach, so it's a good option if someone is OOS dodging or trying to run.

Otherwise, use it sparingly, it's fast, but it can become a crutch and you'll run yourself out of stamina.

A final gem though, use it against Kensei's top heavy soft feints. Go into high guard and zone attack instead of parrying. Since the zone input uses the heavy attack button, if they commit to that attack, you will parry it, otherwise the zone attack will come out and interrupt their soft feint. I rarely remember to do this, but it's surprisingly effective.

ah ok I understand now, thats makes sense why I always get cheesed by a warden zone. I was playing my kensei earlier against some really good wardens and im a competent kensei and confident in my ability with him but the warden would just get the upper hand by using the SB vortex and using the zone when I feint my top heavy etc.

Jazz117Volkov
06-19-2018, 03:07 PM
ah ok I understand now, thats makes sense why I always get cheesed by a warden zone. I was playing my kensei earlier against some really good wardens and im a competent kensei and confident in my ability with him but the warden would just get the upper hand by using the SB vortex and using the zone when I feint my top heavy etc.

Yup, that'll happen. You can probably get around it by soft canceling into a dodge attack. There is the risk that they'll parry it, but if they're going for the zone, you'll dodge away from it then smack them.

Back roll beats vortex. Double tap dodge as soon as you see the unblockable symbol and they can't do much. If you're late, you'll get grabbed if they cancel, so do it quick (probably safe to mash the button I think). Also, if you can read the Warden and think they will cancel to a guardbreak, light attack instead of dodging (some heavy attacks are good options too).

DrinkinMehStella
06-19-2018, 04:13 PM
ah ok, some very useful tip to use against a warden. I don't run into to many good wardens, I run into a lot of rubbish ones that let heavies fly for easy parries, so when i play against a good warden they normally get the upper hand due to my lack of experience against them.

DrinkinMehStella
06-20-2018, 11:23 AM
I tried using him and its really hard to perform well with him in 4v4, I find his has nothing to trade with and because he has no armour its just too easy fro me to get interrupted, I think once he gets reworked ill try again, compared to kensei and other heroes I use I just find he lacks in most areas of combat, yes he can do well in 1v1 situations but with no unblockables and no HA its hard to get a good KD at the end of a game.

Jazz117Volkov
06-20-2018, 01:32 PM
I tried using him and its really hard to perform well with him in 4v4, I find his has nothing to trade with and because he has no armour its just too easy fro me to get interrupted, I think once he gets reworked ill try again, compared to kensei and other heroes I use I just find he lacks in most areas of combat, yes he can do well in 1v1 situations but with no unblockables and no HA its hard to get a good KD at the end of a game.

Yeah, you can't really function in team fights the same as Kensei. Warden in ganks is amazing as support, but if you're by yourself and outnumbered, your options are limited. Focus on defense and one of your best tools is to throw enemies into each other, Warden's throw is precise and quick; your bash cancel gives you pretty easy access to that, and when enemies splat together you get a free top heavy, which is also fairly quick when compared other classes. Otherwise, yeah, there's not much you can do against experienced gankers.

DrinkinMehStella
06-20-2018, 02:49 PM
Yeah, you can't really function in team fights the same as Kensei. Warden in ganks is amazing as support, but if you're by yourself and outnumbered, your options are limited. Focus on defense and one of your best tools is to throw enemies into each other, Warden's throw is precise and quick; your bash cancel gives you pretty easy access to that, and when enemies splat together you get a free top heavy, which is also fairly quick when compared other classes. Otherwise, yeah, there's not much you can do against experienced gankers.

ah ok thanks. Also when playing hi yesterday when I would do a top light into shoulder bash it would keep automatically making me do a SB into GB when I wanted to start a vortex, I would press top light then square (ps4) to start SB but into of basing the enemy it would Gb instead, am I doing something wrong?

bannex19
06-20-2018, 06:36 PM
The Warden has one of the strongest defensive combos in the game (crushing counter strike + shoulder bash + side light combo; the shoulder bash is guaranteed off of crushing counter 99% of the time, Orochi and anything with hyper armour can dodge out), and you've also got the shoulder bash to attack with.

Your punishes are:
Heavy parry = side light combo : 24 damage. (Feel out your opponent first to pick a shoulder bash option, if they're dodgy, cancel to guard break, if they like to poke you, feint into parry, etc.)
Top attack = crushing counter strike (40) + shoulder bash + side light combo (24) : 64 damage.

Note: getting both heavies off on an OOS throw takes a bit of practice, and if you screw it up you won't get either heavy, so until you're confident, only use your top heavy (40 damage) on OOS throws.

Top light is your bread and butter. It's 500 ms, 15 damage, and has excellent range, (but it does have a long recovery), and gives you access to CCS. Use top light to interrupt CC moves, but it's also quite effective if you side feint into top light, be careful though, experienced players watch for it like a hawk. Another good opener is deliberately whiffing a light and then shoulder bash; a lot of player instinctively go to punish whiffs, so you'll have already set up your response. If they're a slower character you may be able to get away with charging your bash in these situations, but it's a risk.

Side feint into side dodge into shoulder bash. This one is one of my favourites, it lands a lot, and you can keep pressure with your vortex or finish your side light combo with a top heavy. Feinting it can bait a CCS opportunity, but most people know about that nowadays, so you're better off letting it fly early on to build parry confidence, then hit them with the CCS mix-up later.

Other viable mix-ups are obviously feint into guard break, and also do a walking forward feint into a back dash and shoulder bash.

Use shoulder bash feint to bait CC moves and side dodge attacks. It's great against Orochis, Gladiators, and Kenseis, Conqs and Lawbringers. (for some reason Berserkers almost never side dodge attack a shoulder bash). And in the case of Orochi, that's an easy light parry for your 40 damage top heavy riposte. Gladiators are a little trickier to parry out of your feint, but even if you block them I'm pretty sure it's still a free guard break. Also, use your bash feint against Nobushi, she loves to prod you with lights while you vortex, so you'll start getting easy top heavies if you feint.

The Warden's side heavy feints are some of the best in the game. They're super responsive and let you parry from other directions after falling for a bait. Don't be afraid to throw them out on occasion after getting a top heavy punish. You'd be surprised how often people either don't react to side heavy finishers, or fail to parry them.

And since the shoulder bash is your strongest opener, learn to be light on your feet. It can be risky using your dodge too much, but get used to dodging unblockable, you can punish a lot of them with a charged shoulder bash which guarantees a top heavy. Charged bash is only guaranteed on a few moves, typically unblockable finishers like Raider, Kensei, and Lawbringer, but it's also guaranteed against Caber Toss.

If you've successfully intimidated your opponent (a good tell is they try to dodge everything) mix-up your vortex with a charged bash. Good chance they'll dodge early and get got; there's your 40 damage.

When to vortex? When you're dictating the fight. A lot of characters have "that thing they do", Raider is stunning tap and fury, Kensei is top heavy soft cancels, Lawbringer is shove heavy etc. the Vortex is no different. It's not magic, use it to ruin someone's day in a fight you're already dictating. Never lean on it against a veteran, they'll wreck you. Against characters with dodge attacks, typically I feint my bash and get a few parries early in the fight to scare them away from their dodge attacks, then you can start to press on them with cancel into guardbreak, because they'll want to dodge the bash but not get parried (the Warden's poker face is amazing). And these are the guys who'll get jumpy and you can smack them good with a charged bash because that 50/50 is really a 24/24/24/24 and 4% fcuk you.

Every new player should read this, not only to learn but to realize what you're going up against in a pvp situation.

This was an excellent write up that should almost be stickied. Thanks jazz, I learned some stuff for sure.

ShadowMaster795
06-20-2018, 06:42 PM
Shoulder bash spam ftw

BadBOO17
06-21-2018, 06:18 AM

Your punishes are:

I love playing my warden but do you have any tips on getting those max punishes? I can only seem to pull them off if im close to a wall otherwise they always seem to be out of range of the first side heavy

DrinkinMehStella
06-21-2018, 09:03 AM
I love playing my warden but do you have any tips on getting those max punishes? I can only seem to pull them off if im close to a wall otherwise they always seem to be out of range of the first side heavy

Your punishes are:

(copied from jazz write up)

BadBOO17
06-21-2018, 09:30 AM
Your punishes are:

(copied from jazz write up)

Yeah thats not helpful at all but thanksgor trying i was hoping that me quoting that exact thing would show that i read that already and that i was asking for a reliable way to hit wardens max punishes of the side heavy into top heavy.

DrinkinMehStella
06-21-2018, 09:32 AM
Yes i was hoping that me quoting that exact thing would show that i read that already and that i was asking for a reliable way to hit wardens max punishes of the side heavy into top heavy.

ohh sorry thought you wanted to know punishes.

Jazz117Volkov
06-21-2018, 09:37 AM

The OOS parry should be pretty straight forward, but the OOS throw is kinda finicky. What you want to do is guardbreak your opponent with your guard set to the direction you're throwing them (left or right). As soon as you throw them, start moving in that direction and press heavy; your Warden will sort of walk sideways while s/he performs the side heavy. If your inputs are neat, you'll catch your opponent's legs with the side heavy as they fall down, then you go into your top heavy to complete the combo.

This is an advanced technique, so you will need to practice it. And it's something I didn't cover in my original post, that is switching guard position before you guardbreak. To bore you with the details, if you switch guard before you guardbreak, when you throw, you won't have the 100 ms guard switch delay, so certain combos work better/become possible. This is typically what will screw up your max OOS punish. Also, the switch delay can deny you your top heavy on wall splats if they're super close to the wall when you throw them, or a Conqueror. As the Warden, you need to know what you want to achieve with your guardbreak before you input it: if wallsplat, switch to top, if OOS punish, pick a side, etc.

The Warden also has one of the most hilariously impractical and opportunistic abilities in the game: you can go into your shoulder bash off of a throw. Try it sometime; throw someone into a wall then hold guardbreak, you'll charge your bash then ram them into the wall again. Sort of good for stamina drain, but in, as I implied, exceptionally rare scenarios, you can get a wallsplat then charge your bash to knock them further away and into a hazard or off a ledge.

Every new player should read this, not only to learn but to realize what you're going up against in a pvp situation.

This was an excellent write up that should almost be stickied. Thanks jazz, I learned some stuff for sure.
You're welcome, mate. I might be a little bit flattered.

BadBOO17
06-21-2018, 06:35 PM
ohh sorry thought you wanted to know punishes.

No worries bud

BadBOO17
06-21-2018, 06:40 PM
The OOS parry should be pretty straight forward, but the OOS throw is kinda finicky. What you want to do is guardbreak your opponent with your guard set to the direction you're throwing them (left or right). As soon as you throw them, start moving in that direction and press heavy; your Warden will sort of walk sideways while s/he performs the side heavy. If your inputs are neat, you'll catch your opponent's legs with the side heavy as they fall down, then you go into your top heavy to complete the combo.

This is an advanced technique, so you will need to practice it. And it's something I didn't cover in my original post, that is switching guard position before you guardbreak. To bore you with the details, if you switch guard before you guardbreak, when you throw, you won't have the 100 ms guard switch delay, so certain combos work better/become possible. This is typically what will screw up your max OOS punish. Also, the switch delay can deny you your top heavy on wall splats if they're super close to the wall when you throw them, or a Conqueror. As the Warden, you need to know what you want to achieve with your guardbreak before you input it: if wallsplat, switch to top, if OOS punish, pick a side, etc.

The Warden also has one of the most hilariously impractical and opportunistic abilities in the game: you can go into your shoulder bash off of a throw. Try it sometime; throw someone into a wall then hold guardbreak, you'll charge your bash then ram them into the wall again. Sort of good for stamina drain, but in, as I implied, exceptionally rare scenarios, you can get a wallsplat then charge your bash to knock them further away and into a hazard or off a ledge.

You're welcome, mate. I might be a little bit flattered.

Thanks for response/help. I think ill head into training later and see if i can practice this.

I dont think ive ever realized or tried to SB off a toss but that sounds like a funny tactic that i think im going to start trying haha

DrinkinMehStella
06-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Thanks for response/help. I think ill head into training later and see if i can practice this.

I dont think ive ever realized or tried to SB off a toss but that sounds like a funny tactic that i think im going to start trying haha

I really want to use warden but struggle compared to todays roster so best wait till his rework happens.

BadBOO17
06-23-2018, 09:32 AM
I really want to use warden but struggle compared to todays roster so best wait till his rework happens.

Warden is kind of out classed by the rework heros and shaman but hes still the coolest looking hero in game no doubt and even though He doesnt have much to work with, hes not a bad hero. He has just enough to be pretty effective. Id say keep trying with him. His bread and butter is top lights and his SB and if you can get opponents to use top attacks Crushing counter will destroy healthbars.