PDA

View Full Version : Do different pieces of armor give different perks

TheGeekAssassin
06-19-2018, 03:24 AM
I haven't come across a clear answer to this question, but I am wondering do the different pieces of armor give different amounts of perfection or additional skills and abilities or is it strictly cosmetic?

cawatrooper9
06-19-2018, 02:25 PM
From what I've seen in the gameplay demos, it definitely looks like armor and gear give different stats.

Wombles-_-
06-19-2018, 02:52 PM
It's a pity that's what I like about Origins, you didn't need to run around in gear you didn't like for the gear stats.

cawatrooper9
06-19-2018, 03:14 PM
It's a pity that's what I like about Origins, you didn't need to run around in gear you didn't like for the gear stats.

Yeah, I remember that being something that was even specifically pointed out as a positive feature of the game. I was into it, too.

Wombles-_-
06-19-2018, 03:31 PM
Sometimes you have to wonder why they drop certain feature's especially welcomed one's, maybe it's like Joelsantos said in another thread they just producing them too quickly to register what's good and what's bad.

I personally don't think there is any clear direction with the Assassins Creed teams, if there ever was any.

ProdiGurl
06-19-2018, 03:57 PM
From what I've seen in the gameplay demos, it definitely looks like armor and gear give different stats.
What specifically did you notice that make you think this? I wouldn't know what to look for.
I do know in Origins that weapons & shields def. gave us added abilities or benefits in fighting.

As for having to wear certain things for specific stats, we really don't have to, do we? Alot of players want more challenge, so they def. wouldn't need to wear anything to aid them. If it looks good, wear it. It's not confirmed yet tho, so I wouldn't run with it as verified fact and get upset yet. =)

cawatrooper9
06-19-2018, 04:17 PM
[SIZE=2]What specifically did you notice that make you think this? I wouldn't know what to look for.

Here's one example where you can get a brief glimpse at how gear has stats.

Skip to about 5:50.

You may have to pause a few times, because he scrolls through pretty fast.

https://youtu.be/6vQhjAgZI04?t=351

MnemonicSyntax
06-19-2018, 05:14 PM
Sometimes you have to wonder why they drop certain feature's especially welcomed one's, maybe it's like Joelsantos said in another thread they just producing them too quickly to register what's good and what's bad.

I personally don't think there is any clear direction with the Assassins Creed teams, if there ever was any.

It's a matter of trying to please everyone as much as possible while still keeping their "developer vision."

Dumont said they are trying to push the game into full fledged RPG, so that explains why.

In addition, people didn't want the shield in Origins, and now you have a forum full of people who want it back because it's "historically accurate" yet the protags aren't Spartans.

People want the modern day dropped, others don't. Just a lot of back and forth trying to find a middle ground.

Can't please everyone it seems.

TheGeekAssassin
06-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Thanks for posting that. I appreciate it. This definitely answers my question Something that I was hoping for as a perk would be similar to AC2 had certain capes that reduce your notoriety and helped you blend in. I would love it if you could pick up some armor that lets you sneak into an enemy camp where no one recognizes you until it is too late and you have already taken out half the camp. I agree with Wombles that overall it is nice that you aren't forced to use certain armor for their perks, but with it being even more of an RPG this time around it seems like a natural progression. I recall in some of the early leaks there was talk of engraving or a runes type system that you could attach to different weapons and armor as you chose. Something like that where you can select your favorite looking armor and can add your favorite perks to it would be pretty wicked.

ProdiGurl
06-19-2018, 05:41 PM
How funny, I just saw on some E3 gameplay, one of the screens that popped up had the Waist with the # 18 on it, so ya, it does look like it.
I prefer the help in weaponry over clothing items - I usually don't wear something I dislike, so I find compromise in things that I like with the best amount possible. Or, right before a fight/battle, I'll put them on.

ProdiGurl
06-19-2018, 05:43 PM
It's a matter of trying to please everyone as much as possible while still keeping their "developer vision."

Dumont said they are trying to push the game into full fledged RPG, so that explains why.

In addition, people didn't want the shield in Origins, and now you have a forum full of people who want it back because it's "historically accurate" yet the protags aren't Spartans.

People want the modern day dropped, others don't. Just a lot of back and forth trying to find a middle ground.

Can't please everyone it seems.
Ya thanks, I keep pointing out that there was mass protest on shields.. they remove it, now everyone is angry it's gone. I give up & I'm not even a Dev lol

Wombles-_-
06-19-2018, 05:48 PM

Explains what?

MnemonicSyntax
06-19-2018, 05:51 PM
Explains what?

Why something that was actually appreciated (by some) in Origins was clothing without stats. That doesn't match their "developer vision."

TheGeekAssassin
06-19-2018, 06:02 PM
Looks like JorRaptor just posted a video to goes much further in depth on this subject. Apparently each item will have skills that are relevant to the Warrior, Assassin, and Hunter skills. Apparently there will be no cosmetic only outfits so if the assassin's creed legacy outfits are included, they will likely be broken up into the different pieces of the garment and will likely increase your assassin abilities.

Here is the video for a more indepth look.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzn-qHm9sK0

ProdiGurl
06-19-2018, 06:23 PM
I kinda do want flashier outfits, I change at least 50 times in a game if not more like I constantly changed up horses too - I bought all but a few of them (no camels, they were too slow for me).
Well there will be enough stuff in there that I like & I'll alternate what I can. I'm sure these 2 characters aren't fashionistas anyway.

So that video you just posted... AWESOME assassin options & I'm loving that spear more than the hidden blade already. So many more things to do with it. All the fighting & moves looks amazing. I think I'm gonna like the combat even more in Odyssey :cool:

Wombles-_-
06-20-2018, 07:10 AM
Why something that was actually appreciated (by some) in Origins was clothing without stats. That doesn't match their "developer vision."

Clothing stats has absolutely nothing to do with RPG. Actually in my opinion it has the opposite effect, forcing players into gear they don't want nor probably like.

Wombles-_-
06-20-2018, 07:13 AM
I kinda do want flashier outfits, I change at least 50 times in a game if not more like I constantly changed up horses too - I bought all but a few of them (no camels, they were too slow for me).
Well there will be enough stuff in there that I like & I'll alternate what I can. I'm sure these 2 characters aren't fashionistas anyway.

So that video you just posted... AWESOME assassin options & I'm loving that spear more than the hidden blade already. So many more things to do with it. All the fighting & moves looks amazing. I think I'm gonna like the combat even more in Odyssey :cool:

Glad I'm not the only one that thought the camel was slower than the horse. Though it looked cooler. :)

MnemonicSyntax
06-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Clothing stats has absolutely nothing to do with RPG. Actually in my opinion it has the opposite effect, forcing players into gear they don't want nor probably like.

It actually does and is a pretty common trope in RPGs, even in the Witcher. You can choose amazing armor that has great stats but looks ridiculous, or you can choose something that looks great but has poor stats.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RainbowPimpGear

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EmbarrassingButEmpoweringOutfit

So yeah, par for the course in most RPGs.

Note: and has already existed in Unity as well.

Wombles-_-
06-20-2018, 08:53 AM
It actually does and is a pretty common trope in RPGs, even in the Witcher. You can choose amazing armor that has great stats but looks ridiculous, or you can choose something that looks great but has poor stats.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RainbowPimpGear

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EmbarrassingButEmpoweringOutfit

So yeah, par for the course in most RPGs.

Note: and has already existed in Unity as well.

Just because it's common in most RPG's doesn't make it a must have RPG feature, in fact RPG mean's roll playing the way you want to play, not being forced into something for the bonus.

MnemonicSyntax
06-20-2018, 09:12 AM
Just because it's common in most RPG's doesn't make it a must have RPG feature, in fact RPG mean's roll playing the way you want to play, not being forced into something for the bonus.

Not sure why you are arguing with me. It's common in most RPGs. It is also optional based on freedom of choice (hence the trope). Ubisoft is wanting to take Assassin's Creed down a more RPG-centric route. Therefore, clothing with stats and bonuses is a natural step in that direction.

There still a freedom of choice. You just don't get any "decent" stat bonuses if you go with form over function, (unless the two coincide with each other)as it is with most RPGs.

This isn't something new that Ubisoft came up with, it's been this way for decades, since tabletop RPGs began.

ProdiGurl
06-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Glad I'm not the only one that thought the camel was slower than the horse. Though it looked cooler. :)
Ya at first I was excited to be on a camel... all of a sudden I'm wondering exactly how long it's going to take me to where I'm trying to go LoL.

ProdiGurl
06-20-2018, 10:33 AM
I don't know what route I'll take on clothing/stats. Alot will depend on how combat goes - if I'm having a hard time, I'll go with the perks, if I'm not having a hard time staying alive, I'll go for some flash.
Nearly every release players are asking for more challenge/harder combat, so they can opt out on higher stat gear.

distrust74
06-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Who knows, since this is a typical RPG system maybe they do what many other RPGs do and allow to switch the style of an item for another item`s style. Probably through a NPC.

Wombles-_-
06-20-2018, 02:20 PM
Not sure why you are arguing with me. It's common in most RPGs. It is also optional based on freedom of choice (hence the trope). Ubisoft is wanting to take Assassin's Creed down a more RPG-centric route. Therefore, clothing with stats and bonuses is a natural step in that direction.

There still a freedom of choice. You just don't get any "decent" stat bonuses if you go with form over function, (unless the two coincide with each other)as it is with most RPGs.

This isn't something new that Ubisoft came up with, it's been this way for decades, since tabletop RPGs began.

It is far from optional, if you have stats on certain types off armour, and you want to progress through the game, you will have to upgrade into that armour.

MnemonicSyntax
06-20-2018, 06:55 PM
It is far from optional, if you have stats on certain types off armour, and you want to progress through the game, you will have to upgrade into that armour.

There is different armor rankings in regards to "Legendaries" and whatnot, but you'll be able to swap out whatever parts you don't like.

Swapping won't be mandatory. If you want a challenge (because for some Nightmare was nothing in ACO) then go for lower statted gear. If you want flash, go for the flash. If you want a specific stat bonus, go for a whole set of outfit that's completely mixed and matched.

I can't wait to wear Altair's hood with Connor's left gauntlet, Ezio's pants, Arno's shirt and Shay's right gauntlet. (I don't know if this is possible, but my point is that you can mix and match to what you want, there for, creating options).

Just like people wanted in Origins :)

Wombles-_-
06-21-2018, 07:30 AM
I can't wait to wear Altair's hood with Connor's left gauntlet, Ezio's pants, Arno's shirt and Shay's right gauntlet. (I don't know if this is possible, but my point is that you can mix and match to what you want, there for, creating options.

Your deviating, we all know you can swap out armour lol. The main point was that you will be force to change your armour, to one with higher spec's. If your still saying that you will beable to progress through Odyssey the way you look at the start, I would love to see the video of your play though. It's far from optional as you can get.

MnemonicSyntax
06-21-2018, 07:53 AM
Your deviating, we all know you can swap out armour lol. The main point was that you will be force to change your armour, to one with higher spec's. If your still saying that you will beable to progress through Odyssey the way you look at the start, I would love to see the video of your play though. It's far from optional as you can get.

I'm not deviating. Again, there were people on the Origins forums that wanted something even more difficult than Nightmare difficulty.

I'm saying that changing armor will be the player's choice, end of. If they want a super tough challenge and not upgrade their armor or they wear an "Assassin's" outfit that might not have the same defense, then they be able to.

It won't be me. I play these games on easy and wear armor that actually defends. I try to find a balance between looks and functionality, but if not, I wear the thing that does what I need it to, whether that's keeping me alive or using stealth, regardless of how it looks.

ProdiGurl
06-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Devs give us plenty of choices in these games... none of us get exactly everything we want in this or any game... I'm still scratching my head at how people hated having to use those bulky, unsightly shields in Origins, now they're begging to have them.
All while being attacked for 'not listening to fans' :rolleyes:
It looks like you get some nice gear in the special edition games, I don't know the stat specs on them but they look sharp.
Maybe the better gamers will have to switch a few pieces out, but everyone has the opportunity of choice to make the game harder this way which is what I see alot of requests for in combat.

Wombles-_-
06-21-2018, 01:07 PM
I'm not deviating. Again, there were people on the Origins forums that wanted something even more difficult than Nightmare difficulty.

I'm saying that changing armor will be the player's choice, end of. If they want a super tough challenge and not upgrade their armor or they wear an "Assassin's" outfit that might not have the same defense, then they be able to.

It won't be me. I play these games on easy and wear armor that actually defends. I try to find a balance between looks and functionality, but if not, I wear the thing that does what I need it to, whether that's keeping me alive or using stealth, regardless of how it looks.

That's the second or third time you've brought up people looking a tougher challenge on these forums, I hope you're not trying to include me in that ( if not stop regurgitating it, or prove where I posted it ). I play normal and in playing normal if I want to progress I will have swap out my armour, it's far from having an option like I did with Bayek ending the game looking as he did when started out, forebye the hidden blade of course.

So tell me will that be an option I will have in Odyssey?

Wombles-_-
06-21-2018, 01:12 PM
Devs give us plenty of choices in these games... none of us get exactly everything we want in this or any game... I'm still scratching my head at how people hated having to use those bulky, unsightly shields in Origins, now they're begging to have them.
All while being attacked for 'not listening to fans' :rolleyes:
It looks like you get some nice gear in the special edition games, I don't know the stat specs on them but they look sharp.
Maybe the better gamers will have to switch a few pieces out, but everyone has the opportunity of choice to make the game harder this way which is what I see alot of requests for in combat.

Maybe you should PM some of people that where moaning about the unsightly shields and now looking them, it's seems too be really annoying you.

ProdiGurl
06-21-2018, 01:53 PM
Maybe you should PM some of people that where moaning about the unsightly shields and now looking them, it's seems too be really annoying you.

(no more than you seem annoyed at things & speak out).
Actually I made 2 posts around here calling that out - it's fine if they request shields but it's another thing when I see them trashing Ubi for not having them when Shields were disliked in the last game - - at the same time all around the board, seeing complaints that Ubi doesn't listen to fan requests/input. Just pointing out that they can't win no matter which they go & I don't think it hurts to let people know what Devs go thru from their side of it. Sometimes I do wish they would defend themselves.
But I'm really not going to waste time to go back thru FB, Twitter & this forum on shields to personally contact them. I also think I have as much right to speak my opinion as they do.

MnemonicSyntax
06-21-2018, 04:27 PM
That's the second or third time you've brought up people looking a tougher challenge on these forums, I hope you're not trying to include me in that ( if not stop regurgitating it, or prove where I posted it ). I play normal and in playing normal if I want to progress I will have swap out my armour, it's far from having an option like I did with Bayek ending the game looking as he did when started out, forebye the hidden blade of course.

So tell me will that be an option I will have in Odyssey?

I'm not sure why you think this is about you. You're the one who thought at first I was talking about myself, now you.

I'm not talking about any specific person. I'm not talking about you, or me or Bobbi Ann Mason.

I am only saying if people want to wear something specific, they can. Full stop. If they want to keep.dying because they insist on not upgrading for sheer aesthetics, that's on them.

It's all about freedom of choice. I have never once made this about you or me. But about everyone's freedom to choose and create their own character.

As for your question, you'll have more choice than you did in Origins because each piece is separate. So if you like a specific helmet over another, then you might not be fully protected but the rest of your armor will pick up the slack stat wise.

cawatrooper9
06-21-2018, 05:11 PM
One possible solution would be to follow the Origins method of upgrading weapons at a Blacksmith.

In Unity, weapons and armor were locked to a specific stat set (with maybe one built in upgrade).

If we could constantly upgrade gear and armor too, then at least we wouldn't be able to immediately discard a piece of armor as nothing more than early game material.

You wouldn't be able to totally min/max your stats this way, but it's at least a viable solution if you want to prioritize aesthetics and not totally put yourself at a disadvantage.

ProdiGurl
06-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Maybe people could play on Easy level at least in the beginning? One thing that happened to me by the middle of Origins is, I had a whole lot of $$. As it went on, I just quit looting & opening chests. Plus I had alot of unspent XP bcuz I didn't want or need alot of the skills/abilities.
With upgrading gear, you'll need more $$ and probly won't have too much of it later in the game.
My thing is, we may not get what we want on one thing but will like other things & it ends up balancing out hopefully for everyone. Devs usually give us enough control & variety to basically play any way we want to. We can compensate & work a way to make it enjoyable.
Clothing stats is just another type of upgrading system & upgrading motivates us towards a goal of acquiring better stuff.

For all we know, the clothing & boots might look nicer the higher the stats on them & we'll get a little of both.

cawatrooper9
06-21-2018, 08:31 PM
Looks like equipping yourself in a matching set of armor grants bonuses.

Also, it's implied here that you can in fact upgrade gear at a blacksmith.

via the Jonathan Dumont Reddit AMA

Also completing a set grants a set bonus and all pieces can be upgraded through the blacksmith.

Frag_Maniac
06-21-2018, 09:45 PM
He also said matched set pieces won't usually be placed randomly, and that obtaining them for the most part will be parts of quests you can track.

That stuff I'm OK with, but if they're putting that much effort into armor options, they ought to understand many are going to want the option to carry a shield, and they're just replacing them with a roll move (he said dodge and parry too, but Origins already has that). The Spartan shield is an extension of armor, and I find it quite disingenuous for him to use the excuse you're playing as a merc, not a Spartan, when they have you dressing like a Spartan, fighting like a Spartan, and even clinging to Leonidas's Spartan Spear, which now replaces the hidden blade.

This is arcade silliness. Spartans didn't roll around like monkeys when they fought, they stood their ground and used their shields. Merc or not, he's still fighting with the style he was trained with. Kinda funny they went to the extent of consulting an expert on ancient Greece to get the world as accurate as possible, only to have unrealistic circus fighting.

ProdiGurl
06-21-2018, 09:58 PM
From another post I found-

Jonathan Dumont Just gave this answer in response to if Shields would be In when asked by joostcr on reddit.

Yes, Spartans did use shields, but our Hero is a mercenary, not a Spartan soldier. Our gameplay is much more versatile than that of Origins and a shield was not suited to it, so we replaced shields with dodging, rolling and parrying mechanics. The parry mechanics gives a bit more of feel of old school AC Fight of counter attack, while still retaining fight mechanics of Origins. I can't speak for the future of the franchise for social stealth and parkour.

Frag_Maniac
06-21-2018, 10:13 PM
From another post I found-

Jonathan Dumont Just gave this answer in response to if Shields would be In when asked by joostcr on reddit.

Yes, Spartans did use shields, but our Hero is a mercenary, not a Spartan soldier. Our gameplay is much more versatile than that of Origins and a shield was not suited to it, so we replaced shields with dodging, rolling and parrying mechanics. The parry mechanics gives a bit more of feel of old school AC Fight of counter attack, while still retaining fight mechanics of Origins. I can't speak for the future of the franchise for social stealth and parkour.

That's exactly the answer I was referring to, which makes no sense and contradicts another answer he gave. He also said when asked about the ridiculous kick distance, that we'd be able to customize the level of realism in the combat by not unlocking certain over the top moves. Yet we are forced to use a Roll move instead of a shield (Origins has dodge and parry), and a powerful artifact spear instead of a dagger.

The easy way to solve this inconsistency is make the Roll move and Leonidas Spear Abilities, which when unlocked would replace the shield and dagger. The Leonidas spear and the Roll move are too arcade for some of us, and it makes the game feel unrealistic and less immersive.