PDA

View Full Version : You're nearly there with Odyssey - keep it up

Siegfriedfr
06-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Hello,

Since Black Flag you realized that there was more than just simply assassinating your way around and that well-designed side activities can mean more than just collecting pointless collectibles.

Since Unity you mostly got rid of the distracting and pointless "present day" gameplay and subplot and focused more on the historical setting.

In origins you got rid of the map littered with collectibles and the minimap, and tried to create a more immersive world with important side quests.

In Odyssey you're going with a Bounty system to punish psychopaths instead of force-restart memories.

You're almost there. You need to drop viewpoint synchronization, the whole animus subplot, strenghtned the narrative of even the most meaningless side quest, and finally we will have what we wanted : a historical-themed open-world RPG with light fantasy elements.

briangade
06-22-2018, 07:22 PM
I'm not saying that you are wrong, or that I disagree with your opinion 100%. But what you are describing is no longer Assassin's Creed.
But it sure looks like Ubisoft are moving in that direction.
Personally I will probably be playing Odessey as an adventure set in the AC universe, but I am looking forward to playing it, it looks like it will be really fun(remember when that was a thing for games?)

quanzaizai
06-22-2018, 07:54 PM
80% of what you saying are totally opposite of what most of old school AC fan want lol.

PhilyG213
06-22-2018, 07:56 PM
You need to drop viewpoint synchronization, the whole animus subplot....

I'm sorry but what's so wrong about viewpoints?
Also, why do you want the animus plot gone when it's one of the most important things?

ProdiGurl
06-22-2018, 08:10 PM
I'm ACII and on - I think they need to keep the Animus in AC becuz that's how you're able to go back to the Assassin's time to play their character, but what they can do is make a short interesting story just at the beginning and end of the game. Not interrupting the game randomly thru it.
I think what they can drop is the Juno/1 Civ. content. I wrote this in the Mentor's guild thread about 1st Civ question - they need to tie it up well if they're going to end it. Give it a proper finale' and make it something that can tie in all future games:

>> -What are your thoughts on The First Civ being brought into focus?
When I played ACII after Brotherhood, I found that to be really mysterious & kool but completely confusing w/ the whole Juno thing? (never played AC1). Alot of us are dying to have mystery brought back into AC too.

So - I'm just as happy w/out it, but if you decide to appease AC 'purists' who know every single thing about it, either go "all in" and commit to putting out a meaningful, understandable 1st Civ, or don't bother at all becuz you won't help either type of fan.
I don't grasp it even as an older AC fan so, newer players won't get it or care unless it's really carefully put together, help them to understand the past content & make it interesting. Not just tossed in there as a token to appease discontent early fans.
Then - maybe even decide to end it right there & give it a proper finale' - Tie it all up with a HUGE reveal that explains everything & be done with it? (If devs aren't wanting to continue the Civ content anymore).<<

Frag_Maniac
06-22-2018, 11:44 PM
80% of what you saying are totally opposite of what most of old school AC fan want lol.
They don't really care about old school fans anymore, you know, the REAL AC fans. It's just fantasy time now.

quanzaizai
06-23-2018, 12:00 AM
They don't really care about old school fans anymore, you know, the REAL AC fans. It's just fantasy time now.
Well if people want what he said then we better play witcher 3 already.80% of those point above is what make AC an AC game. Other 20% are true, which are pointless side activities.

quanzaizai
06-23-2018, 12:04 AM
Fantasy or not if it fits the lore then its still good. They are going to ancient triology egyt greece and the next one with lots of fantasy story then after that will be much difference setting. Maybe the nex trio or duo will be time for asia?

joelsantos24
06-23-2018, 11:50 AM
I'm not saying that you are wrong, or that I disagree with your opinion 100%. But what you are describing is no longer Assassin's Creed.
But it sure looks like Ubisoft are moving in that direction.
Personally I will probably be playing Odessey as an adventure set in the AC universe, but I am looking forward to playing it, it looks like it will be really fun(remember when that was a thing for games?)
Exactly. And that's precisely what many players want, that is, a full AC RPG that can just rival The Witcher and the likes. Well, with Odyssey, you're getting your wish granted. It just isn't AC anymore. AC is dead.

ProdiGurl
06-23-2018, 12:36 PM
That's almost insulting to long time AC fans who don't agree w/ you on some aspects of what makes AC, AC.
Not everyone's opinion is identical and it doesn't have to be. I liked certain things from early games & other things I disliked - like timed runs... or timed anything. etc etc.
One group of people who like _______ one thing, are NOT the only "real" AC fans. That's a fallacy... and imo an arrogant one

Alakazou
06-23-2018, 05:34 PM

Good, I'm happy to know that I'm not a fan even if I have played all the AC. I mean, fan are known to be unpleasant and close minded and I don't want to be like that.

Siegfriedfr
06-23-2018, 09:42 PM
How many "old school AC fans" constitute the entire AC playerbase ? What is an "AC fan" ? I've played all the AC games because i like the concept of going trough history. Still, i don't like modern day interruption, i didnt like collectibles-galore, and many games in the series bored me to death (Revelations, III, Syndicate), i still think that "viewpoints" are an "100% sync" annoying feature.

I'm not an "AC fan", but i'm definitely a loyal AC player.

To me AC has always been about the historical setting. The animus was a good idea, but how many adventures in the past should we suffer trough just to get the modern day stuff going forward ? That's what made AC weak : there always were 2 stories in each game, and both were weak (except II).

I'd rather AC be based on a successful and interesting formula (witcher 3), than on outdated gameplay concepts from 2007.

Odissey is the first ever AC i preordered. I may regret it, as the Origin team is not behind it, but i wanted to encourage Ubi in their right direction.

quanzaizai
06-23-2018, 11:18 PM
Well from another view. I'm not old AC fan . I'm just a normal AC fan :) and tho I like morden day story if they put it in the right time :) and I'm pretty sure that removing morden they will simply kill the franchise as we already known it from unity and syndicate.