PDA

View Full Version : Mapping the Division 2

IainStewart
06-18-2018, 03:10 PM
I like maps. The fact that the Washington DC of Division 2 is supposed to be 1:1 scale to the real world location made me even more interested. I wanted to dive a little deeper than MarcoStyle's initial map comparison video (here (https://youtu.be/6WspFp5IOFc)). I decided to use google's My Maps to create a Division 2 overlay for the real world Washington DC to see how things match up. I will be constantly updating it as new information comes to light.

Here it is (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kp1uuav9bvBuVXPM9rZYv-ZdG-74vqEP&usp=sharing)

Have a look around, see what you think. I'm keen to add as much info to this as possible in the run up to next March. If anyone has their own theories or extra bits of information they have discovered then join in the discussion and lets see how accurate we can be before the game comes out.

UbiAmper
06-20-2018, 10:34 PM
Hey IainStewart,

I wanted to check it out, but it appears your link is broken. Give it an update!

IainStewart
06-21-2018, 01:56 AM
Thats odd. I can still find it through My places when I log into google maps. It still says it's shared, but the link seems to have stopped working. I just shared it to my facebook page as a test and that works fine. Maybe it's something at googles end. I need sleep now, but I'll look again in the morning

IainStewart
06-21-2018, 10:50 AM
It seems to be an issue with google maps being a bit broken somewhere. Hopefully they will fix it and the link will start working again soon. If you want to check it out now then I can send it to you via facebook in a pm, or you can just search for my profile (Iain James Stewart - same profile pic) and it should be a publicly viewable post there

Big_40_Dawg
06-21-2018, 11:52 PM
Hey dude, I was able to click on the link and it worked fine, Just giving an update. The map is pretty awesome...

IainStewart
06-22-2018, 07:11 PM
Thanks Dawg. I was pretty certain it was a Google issue that would magically fix itself if left alone for long enough.

stryfe..
06-24-2018, 05:51 PM
Nice work! Excited to go storm the white house. :D

IainStewart
06-25-2018, 10:24 AM
You know we're going to get ourselves on a watchlist talking like this :)

UbiAmper
06-25-2018, 09:50 PM
It's working a-okay now! This was awesome to see for sure. Please keep this updated!

IainStewart
06-26-2018, 12:45 AM
I'd be happy to Amper. Now, if you could just let me in on some hitherto unreleased and juicy bits of new info regarding the Division 2, I'd be happy to include them. Go on, you know you want to :)

echolecter
07-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Washington at scale 1:1 sound great but I certainly hope they do fix the GPS way points. Otherwise once you are inside the Pentagon your will never find your way out.

IainStewart
09-03-2018, 10:07 AM
I've updated the map after the PAX West stream. Main changes are to Georgetown, the North west corner, and the southern-most border of the map as a whole.

IainStewart
01-23-2019, 01:09 AM
We are starting to get a lot more info about the map now. I've updated my map with lots of new stuff after Marco's recent video about the darkzone

IainStewart
01-23-2019, 01:16 AM
Here is a New Link (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kp1uuav9bvBuVXPM9rZYv-ZdG-74vqEP&usp=sharing) to the updated map

Ubi-Lucipus
01-23-2019, 11:55 AM
It's really amazing IainStewart, thank you so much for keeping this updated, I am going to bookmark this :)

IainStewart
01-24-2019, 06:02 PM
Check out the Map for another crop of updates, including more detail on DZs South and West (Georgetown).

Ubi-RealDude
01-26-2019, 01:57 AM
This is so cool. Thank you very much for sharing (and updating (and sharing again)).

IainStewart
01-28-2019, 05:54 PM
Hamish and Peta have a new video (https://youtu.be/yzONEafxfO8) out showcasing some DZ west gameplay and new locations. I added a new layer to the map which shows some interesting new details revealed in the vid. Check it out.

IainStewart
02-10-2019, 07:52 PM
Having a great time running around in the beta this weekend. Map-wise, this game looks like it will be everything I was hoping for and then some. I've started a new map

Here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=18CBGSn9H9lwwO78RMvFEvb8AdtMBNRH-&usp=sharing)

Which will only include things that have been confirmed by myself in-game, or on other people's gameplay videos. I'll leave the old map up for a bit if people want to cross reference between things I speculated about and how they turned out in reality.

The new map has many tweeks to the district borders based on what I've seen of the map during the beta. I'm also going to start labeling things like underground entrances, missions and loot locations based on what I've found in the beta.

Once the game launches, if anyone finds any cool things they think should be on the map, then add to this thread with some screen shots and description and I'll try and include as much stuff as possible.

Happy mapping.

hedmasster
02-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Nice! :cool:

Mykghoul_
02-14-2019, 02:13 AM
That's simply creatively awesome!

Excellent work.

IainStewart
02-14-2019, 11:02 AM
Thanks Mykghoul

Glad to know people are enjoying the maps. Hopefully they will really come into their own and prove useful to agents once the game goes live. I think they will be perfect for showing things like best routes to take for gear farming, where to find all the various crafting supplies in the open world, named boss locations and the like.

Now the thread is up to three pages, I'll take this opportunity to collect the important information in one place for people who might not have started at the top. There are now two maps available.

One is the pre-launch version, which contains all the various snippets of info that I was able to figure out from youtube vids, along with various speculation based on my own deduction and guess-work. That is for anyone who is interested, and also so I can look back in a year and see how much I got right :) This map is no longer being updated and is only being kept for posterity really. It is available here:

Pre-launch Map (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kp1uuav9bvBuVXPM9rZYv-ZdG-74vqEP&usp=sharing)

Then there is the new "live" map. This will only contain accurate information,either from my own observations or from intel submitted by anyone who thinks they've found something that needs to be on the map. Post about it in this thread. I'll check it out in-game and consider it for addition once I've verified it. This will be the map to check if you need to know where the nearest lootable crate is, or where to find a named boss at three in the morning. It is available here:

Live Map (https://drive.google.com/open?id=18CBGSn9H9lwwO78RMvFEvb8AdtMBNRH-&usp=sharing)

Have fun Agents :)

IainStewart
02-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Also, if you have friends who are going to play the game, please share this thread. The more people who know about it, the more intel I can gather and add to the map.

Mykghoul_
02-14-2019, 04:00 PM
The second link had me request permission. Live Map. Intended?

IainStewart
02-16-2019, 05:15 PM
No, not intended. Sorry. I think it's sorted now. If you can access it can you try and add something in the untitled layer. You should't be able to, but I'm a bit worried that I've somehow made it editable as well as view-able. i need someone who isn't me to try it and find out. Don't worry if you are able to make changes - I've got a copy of it saved so you can't do any lasting damage :)

Mykghoul_
02-17-2019, 04:16 PM
It still asks me to login/permission.

and to test, run a virtual machine

Mykghoul_
02-17-2019, 04:23 PM
And …

I would rather have that awesome map to view as just a high res image provided by you THAN to try and have access to it and end up losing it for us ( community your sharing it with ).

Thank you again.

IainStewart
02-18-2019, 02:44 PM
And …

I would rather have that awesome map to view as just a high res image provided by you THAN to try and have access to it and end up losing it for us ( community your sharing it with ).

Thank you again.

Right. I've had another look, from my phone this time, and I think I've sorted it. Anyone with the link should now be able to view (not change) the map. There seems to be some discord between the sharing options I can see when I access the map via a browser and those I can see when I look on my phone. Anyway, let's run it up the flagpole and see if the cat licks it - as they say (Clearly, "they" don't say anything of the sort, but "they" really should).

A hi-res image of the whole map would be amazing. Without giving it a huge amount of thought, I think the only way to do that would be to zoom right in, take a bunch of screen grabs and then stitch them together into a single image in Photoshop. All of this is highly doable, but it's not the sort of thing I'll want to be doing every weekend, so I think I'll do it once I deem the map to be finished (mostly). Good idea though, you never know when Google might just decide mymaps is a rubbish idea that no one uses and turn it all off. I definitly want to save this for posterity some how.

Mykghoul_
02-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Yep, works great now