PDA

View Full Version : ACB: my MP review

MuddledMuppet2
11-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Review based on one evenings gaming.

Bad news first. The game has frozen on me a couple of times requiring a complete reset.

It seems only the host can invite to lobby. Unforgivable.

Limited selection of game types.

That's all the bad news out of the way.

Good news.

Graphics/sound: No tearing that i've noticed, gorgeous environments to play in. Wide selection of character models, with the wonderful animations we've come to expect from assassins creed. Its easy to take for granted how much games have progressed over the years, but this game looks fantastic. Movement is every bit as fluid as the single player game. realistic crowds, and i do mean crowds, and a 'bustling' feel to the cities, a decent selection of maps, enhanced by the sounds of a city going about its' business.

Gameplay:This game gives far away the most tense experience i've known in multiplayer gaming. Ever. It's all a bit confusing at first, but then it all seems to click into place what you're supposed to be doing. Oddly enough, the times when it doesn't work out (a different assassin steals your kill, you get killed just before you strike) add to the gameplay rather than detract from it. The temptation at first is to charge around like some kind of rennaisance rambo, but then you realise that although that may net you a few more kills, you will fare very badly for points, and you will also make yourself a highly visible target for the assassin(s) on your trail. Remember those crowds I mentioned? Any one of them could be on your trail, ready to execute you as soon as you reveal yourself with some stupid giveaway. Giveaways like running, climbing, slipping into disguise in a visible place, throwing a smoke bomb, or of course killing an opponent. You'll think you're pretty clever, stalking a prey, or waiting in a crowd for him to pass by, and immediately after your strike, BAM! A fellow assassin is on you. Not so clever now eh? With a bit of experience, you'll plan not only your strike, but your getaway, so now you'll lie in wait, knowing that an assassin is just waiting for you to reveal yourself, so when you strike, you follow up with a smoke bomb or similar, and hightail it out of there, leaping over rooftops, through the 'chase-breaker' doors, THEN slip into disguise and merge into the crowd, waiting for the countdown bar to decrease until not ony did you carry out a successful assassination, but you got away from your own pursuer. NOW you're a master assassin and a person to be feared!

Unfortunately, the better you get, the more assassins will be on your trail. a simple mechanic but it adds tremendously to the gameplay, giving those at the bottom of the heap a breathing space where they have no assassin after them.

I think my favourite so far is the mode where one team is the hunted with the other team being hunters, switching sides at the round end. again, it takes a bit of getting used to, that you can't kill your hunters, you can only elude them. Eluding won't be done by running around like a Benny Hill extra with Yakkity Sax blaring in the background, but my merging into crowds, trying to pass off as just another civilian, disguising, finding that one perfect moment to fool your opponent into thinking you're not their target, and racking up points for every minute you stay hidden.

The game types seem simple on the surface, but so far, this is gaming nirvana. In a world obsessed by FPS, by racking up kill counts, by 'nade spamming and spray and pray, you have instead been shown a new way, an original game. You have one chance on your target, get the wrong target and you lose the contract. Show your hand too early and they'll get away, time it too late and someone will steal your kill (or kill you!) :BangHead:

It won't be for everyone, some people just don't 'get it', that being the case stick with CoD :001_tongue: But to be honest, if you miss this game you are missing probably the most important release of the last few years, not only does it dare to do something different, it has shown that being different can **** on the head of every 'wannabe' copy-cat game out there, and invented a whole new genre.

Gentleman, I give you, the 'Escape-'em-up'.

MM

MuddledMuppet2
11-20-2010, 04:03 AM

Bad news first. The game has frozen on me a couple of times requiring a complete reset.

Good news.

Graphics/sound: No tearing that i've noticed, gorgeous environments to play in. Wide selection of character models, with the wonderful animations we've come to expect from assassins creed. Its easy to take for granted how much games have progressed over the years, but this game looks fantastic. Movement is every bit as fluid as the single player game. realistic crowds, and i do mean crowds, and a 'bustling' feel to the cities, a decent selection of maps, enhanced by the sounds of a city going about its' business.

Gameplay:This game gives far away the most tense experience i've known in multiplayer gaming. Ever. It's all a bit confusing at first, but then it all seems to click into place what you're supposed to be doing. Oddly enough, the times when it doesn't work out (a different assassin steals your kill, you get killed just before you strike) add to the gameplay rather than detract from it. The temptation at first is to charge around like some kind of rennaisance rambo, but then you realise that although that may net you a few more kills, you will fare very badly for points, and you will also make yourself a highly visible target for the assassin(s) on your trail. Remember those crowds I mentioned? Any one of them could be on your trail, ready to execute you as soon as you reveal yourself with some stupid giveaway. Giveaways like running, climbing, slipping into disguise in a visible place, throwing a smoke bomb, or of course killing an opponent. You'll think you're pretty clever, stalking a prey, or waiting in a crowd for him to pass by, and immediately after your strike, BAM! A fellow assassin is on you. Not so clever now eh? With a bit of experience, you'll plan not only your strike, but your getaway, so now you'll lie in wait, knowing that an assassin is just waiting for you to reveal yourself, so when you strike, you follow up with a smoke bomb or similar, and hightail it out of there, leaping over rooftops, through the 'chase-breaker' doors, THEN slip into disguise and merge into the crowd, waiting for the countdown bar to decrease until not ony did you carry out a successful assassination, but you got away from your own pursuer. NOW you're a master assassin and a person to be feared!

Unfortunately, the better you get, the more assassins will be on your trail. a simple mechanic but it adds tremendously to the gameplay, giving those at the bottom of the heap a breathing space where they have no assassin after them.

I think my favourite so far is the mode where one team is the hunted with the other team being hunters, switching sides at the round end. again, it takes a bit of getting used to, that you can't kill your hunters, you can only elude them. Eluding won't be done by running around like a Benny Hill extra with Yakkity Sax blaring in the background, but my merging into crowds, trying to pass off as just another civilian, disguising, finding that one perfect moment to fool your opponent into thinking you're not their target, and racking up points for every minute you stay hidden.

The game types seem simple on the surface, but so far, this is gaming nirvana. In a world obsessed by FPS, by racking up kill counts, by 'nade spamming and spray and pray, you have instead been shown a new way, an original game. You have one chance on your target, get the wrong target and you lose the contract. Show your hand too early and they'll get away, time it too late and someone will steal your kill (or kill you!) :BangHead:

It won't be for everyone, some people just don't 'get it', that being the case stick with CoD :001_tongue: But to be honest, if you miss this game you are missing probably the most important release of the last few years, not only does it dare to do something different, it has shown that being different can **** on the head of every 'wannabe' copy-cat game out there, and invented a whole new genre.

MM

Torguish
11-20-2010, 06:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MuddledMuppet2:

Good news.

MM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love you. Nothing else.

Wile E Coyoteee
11-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Probably couldn't have written it better myself! =D

Xkorpio_769
11-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Hey, I read your review and totally agree with you. Except for some parts, though. the part where you mentioned, ''Unfortunately, the better you get, the more assassins will be on your trail. a simple mechanic but it adds tremendously to the gameplay, giving those at the bottom of the heap a breathing space where they have no assassin after them. '', that is the part I don't see eye to eye. Well, for me, and some other people, even being at ''the bottom of the heap'' can earn you 3 pursuers. In my opinion, it is actually how long you survive and how many people you kill, add them up to get how much your worth. The longer your life span, the more people you kill, you more money on your head. Not literal, though. Oh and your targets can't kill you, only stun you, which, compare it to respawning, is actually worse as it takes up more time. For people who care about their K/D and stuff, they actually consider it to be better, as they are DEATHLY CONSCIOUS. Anyway, all the parts fit into tune. You'll only encounter more problems when your a higher level assassin.

MuddledMuppet2
11-20-2010, 09:55 AM
cheers for feedback http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XKorpio I was meaning your own pursuer killing you not your target,referring to wanted mode.

As to the number of assassins on your trail, still not 100% sure of the mechanics, but isn't it the leaders who end up with most pople after them? If not sorrfor any confusion I ay have caused, anyhoo, as an addendum, been on a bit this afternoon and now lvl 19, not much of an achievemnt for some i know but pretty damn good for me hehe.

Great game, great game.