PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Odyssey needs to learn from Origins' fan feedback

topeira1980
06-16-2018, 06:06 PM
I'm trying to think about some of the lessons Odyssey's team in Quebec should learn from fans feedback of Origins or simply things UBI implemented quit late into Origins.
I'll see what i can come up with:

1) Allow full HUD customization. Let us decide what HUD elements we wish to keep. It was a part of every AC game up until ACO but ACO dropped the ball on this one. I hope AC:OD will be smarter and allow us the freedome almost every game allow these days.

2) Add an upgraded Animus control panel - ACP ACO on the PC had a the ACP implemented really late, but it is AWESOME. Please, Quebec, implement ACP sooner than Origins and have even more options. And, even though im a PC player, I really hope that console players will recieve some for of ACP as well.

3) NO LOOT BOXES!!! i have little problem grinding for something i can buy with in-game money but when i pay and dont know what i am about to get it reduces the value of the currency and the experience of buying anything. i cant imagine going to a clothes shop and paying 50 dollars and have no idea what kind of clothes im gonna get.
I would rather pay more in-game money but know exactly what im buying.

4) Allow more sofisticated levels of difficulty. not just buffs to enemy's damage output and health. This is the laziest way i can imagine. I bet this wont be done and since Origins' was the first AC game with difficulty settings (and almost the only AC game that was challenging, period) i should count my blessings, but there are better ways in making Odyssey harder within the gameplay. things like make enemies have a faster attack animation (I know how much more fun it is from tweaking it in the ACP in Origins) and use their hyper shield attack (seen it in the playthroughs) or counters in a more frequent but LESS predictable manner (so an enemy doesnt ALWAYS dodges and counters after the forth attack but sometimes after the second and sometimes after the fifth, for example), enemies that are less predictable in their attack combos (so instead of the lite enemies always attacking twice, have them sometimes attack once, and sometimes thrice, to make countering\parrying harder to get right), smaller parry window, and slower adrenaline regeneration, or slightly LESS health regen with every use of that skill or that some skills require TWO adrenaline bars and not just one or that health doesnt regen after combat or at least not while enemies are in the vicinity etc etc etc.

5) A good variety of outfit styles. This is actually something Origins did well, but im not so sure Odyssey will do it that well - give us outfits that feel different in their style. all the outfits i've seen in the odyssey's websites, promotional materials and playthroughs look like some tweak of the spartan warrior outfit. boring.
Origins had outfits that looks like stealthy clothing, persian warriorns, viking warriors, Spaniard warriors, asian warriors, roman centurion, even mummies and pharaos etc etc.
It was so diverse so you could always find an outfit that fitted your mood.
I hope this will be the trend in Odyssey as well and that we just havent seen enough of it.

I bet there are more things Odyssey can learn form the criticism of Origins so if you have any feedbaclk - add it here.

ProdiGurl
06-16-2018, 07:29 PM
My main problem was the leveling system. I purposely never added any points into gaining extra XP - but even without that, I leveled up too fast with the amount of side missions & had to keep pacing myself with Phylakes levels. I had to skip alot of side missions to keep my XP down to keep up with the main story & map levels.

I'm a massive Loot hoarder, so I had tons of $$ pretty early in the game too. Later in the game I wasn't stopping to open chests anywhere. It was kind of liberating though. =)

karoomii
06-16-2018, 11:55 PM
Ubisoft began developing Odyssey before Origins was even released. By the time Origins was out, they were already almost done with Odyssey. They didnít give themselves any time for feedback, which is the problem with annual releases: you canít get feedback in time to make any improvements (or any significant improvements).

Frag_Maniac
06-17-2018, 03:59 AM
You have to wonder if an animus even makes any sense in this one due to their totally abandoning what it's purpose was.

And Ubi don't allow time for feedback because the reality is, they don't care what we think. Worse yet, they even bait us into thinking they want opinions on game locations/themes, then just do whatever they want. Like that fake survey they asked us to fill out on what theme/setting we wanted for the next Far Cry, and then they made Primal, a mere reskin of 3 and 4, with nothing remotely anything like the choices they gave us on that survey.

topeira1980
06-17-2018, 05:20 AM
You have to wonder if an animus even makes any sense in this one due to their totally abandoning what it's purpose was.

And Ubi don't allow time for feedback because the reality is, they don't care what we think. Worse yet, they even bait us into thinking they want opinions on game locations/themes, then just do whatever they want. Like that fake survey they asked us to fill out on what theme/setting we wanted for the next Far Cry, and then they made Primal, a mere reskin of 3 and 4, with nothing remotely anything like the choices they gave us on that survey.

on the broad level i tend to agree (If UBI DID listen to our wishes we would have seen an AC in Japan years ago), but on the smaller things they do seem to listen. It takes a long time to implement community wishes they DO want to implement (Look how bloody long it took give us new helicopter controls or to allow players to customize their AI squad mates in GR:Wildlands) but they do implement some feedback when they can afford it.

Most of the "suggestions" i gave are on that scale. Things that could be implemented later in updates.

Obviously Odyssey is now 95% done but certain things could be changed. probably not their approach to scam-boxes or gear design, but allowing UI customization or even taking some of the ideas i had in difficulty changes could make it in, if anyone at UBI sees it and tells the guys in charge at UBI: "See? I told you there is a demand for it. We should do it."

MnemonicSyntax
06-17-2018, 06:18 AM
When I went to Ubisoft in NC, one of things we discussed was "developer vision." Sometimes, the requests are not what the development team has in mind.

For example the Japan narrative has been stated that it's not something they really want to do. And the FarCry example doesn't necessarily mean it's "fake" but that it might be a future plan. We know Ubisoft makes games three, four years, sometimes longer out. The location would probably need to be one of the first specifics locked down to coincide with the story.

Or it might just be developer vision. *shrugs*

timpbader
06-17-2018, 11:40 AM
A hidden blade.

ProdiGurl
06-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Well my requests were always Egypt, England or Greece - so... they listened to alot of us who wanted those areas. & Ubi does listen to fans, it doesn't always mean they'll make a final decision to act on it (or can do that/or as quickly as people want it).
They heavily listened to our requests & the complaints when making Revelations & that backfired imo. They still got complaints plus the new stuff people asked for wasn't received very well. Too many AC fans want conflicting things in the game & its direction, plus the pressures of current demands for female Protags. etc.

They've listened to all the complaints of AC being too controlling in missions - annoying desynching/tired of being told they did the mission wrong ..... unfortunately the more freedom they've delivered to fans, the more complaints from early fans that AC is straying too far from the Lore, or 'AC format' etc.
How do you deliver gameplay freedom to players playing a game that's all about literally copying the steps that the character did in history??
I don't buy into the "Ubi hates us & only cares about $$" attacks bcuz no matter who they listen to or try to please, there's always others that feel betrayed. I don't see that ever ending - the longer this franchise continues & gains newer players.
& I do think there's times that they screw up & don't do things they probably should/could.. I get that they aren't right 100% of the time or have the best cust. svc. etc.

>> timpbader (https://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1148789-timpbader?communityUsers=1&f=27)A hidden blade. (https://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1148789-timpbader?communityUsers=1&f=27)<<
That's def. not happening in this one after the video/info I saw yesterday. So that would mean that the Blade must have come to the assassins later than this time period ?