PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody please explain Centurion to me?

papa_joseph1
06-16-2018, 08:05 AM
As the title suggests, i can not figure out the ins and outs of this character, fighting him is a pain in the *** because his punish is just stupid and he can kick spam like a Motherf**cker

I tend to be critical of people saying things are overpowered but I can't nail down centurions reason for existing.

What where they thinking when they added him? it's rare to see a game without a Cent on each team at minimum, a good player with one is just unfun to fight against, it's rare i have a fight i can just label as "Not fun" i'm fine with dying and losing a fight but being unable to fight back because i made a single mistake against one is just not conducive to a good time, nor is it conducive to a fair game.

Two of them against any single hero is an automatic lose as far as I seen so far, i will be honest if i'm in a game and i see that happening i just Alt+F4 out of it, i'm here to have fun not just suffer.

I will also admit i'm not great at this game, i'm mediocre or decent at best, i main Law Daddy because memes, but if you look at FHT on my LB i'm not aweful.

Knight_Raime
06-16-2018, 08:17 AM
Centurion is actually a pretty bad pick if you're going for a decent team comp. his kicks and punches generate a lot of revenge fuel. Not to mention there are far better people to run in a gank with.

As for dealing with centurion it's really just as simple as learning his kick/punch timing and not attempting to parry him unless his heavy becomes unblockable. Otherwise just get ready to block his hit and GB if he soft feints into it. His kick is easily beaten by dodge attacks. But you can also dodge and GB it on most heros. Punch you can't GB after dodging unless you're one of the 3 ish heros that can. I'd recommend trying to pick him up in training or duels to get a feel for when his punch comes out.

Honestly that's why Centurion never bullies me. I learned him.

EvoX.
06-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Centurions are common at mid-tier games, where there people that still don't know how to make his entire kit obsolete, but in anything above that - nobody plays him. In reality he's low/mid B-tier for 4v4's, high C-tier for Duels. Translation: he's pretty bad.

Lord_Cherubi
06-16-2018, 12:03 PM
I have to agree with Raime in that Centurion is a pretty bad duelist once you learn his moveset. But if you're struggling against him i'd advice to dodge his unblockable rather than parry until you're comfortable with the extremely delayed timing. For me at least it was so confusing to try to learn his fast, aggressive playstyle and try to parry those UB's at the same time.

Also, his kick is very predictable since it can only be launched from a forward dodge.

relosaoZ
06-16-2018, 03:08 PM
Everytime a post like this shows up , people are popping out claiming he's easy to counter
Well every other character , is way easier for me to defeat , so there's a paradox , Am I good or bad?

Answers like , learn the character's moves and timing
can be said about every character.
To be honest , I won't be surprised if those commenters are Centurion players themselves complaining on how much he needs a buff , even thought that's clearly not the case

why do you choose to ignore this sentence? "i'm fine with dying and losing a fight but being unable to fight back because i made a single mistake..."
You people do realize you can lose at least 50% of your health simply because you were caught in a single guardbreak?
not to mention you're unable to fight back once you get back up cause you were drained out of stamina

We.the.North
06-16-2018, 03:29 PM
Centurion is a very poor design from a video game design perspective. He is supbar on almost every aspect of his kit ... but when he guardbreaks you near a wall in Dominion with his 2nd feat unlocked, you'll lose almost 100% of your hp in a single punish. If one of his teamate is nearby, you're dead ... in that one single guardbreak.

He also drains all your stamina in a single parry punish.

After the OPness of Kensei / Berserker / Conqueror, Centurion is the most ANNOYING (not OP) character to fight against because of those absurd over the top punish.

CheekyKemosabe
06-16-2018, 03:34 PM
Here's some tips you can use other than what's been mentioned. Learning the character is always good, yes it can be said for all the heroes but that's because it's true. You have trouble? learn everything you can about them. I raged out on the forum a while ago about cent but i took the advice from the ones who told me the same exact thing and now there's hardly any trouble for me with him.

that being said keep these things in mind when you face off with one.

Don't fight near walls or ledges. It's a bit easier said than done in duels and in dominion you constantly should be aware of where you're standing in relation to the nearest hazard. If you see a centurion, get into an open space away from ledges or walls. that way if he really wants to mess you up with that cut scene he'll have to back you up into something that isn't nearby and that'll be more effort than what it's worth for most players. (i would think, anyway)

Be aware that centurion can cancel his heavies, including his unblock-able, into a guard break, as well as go into a guard break after two lights (at least i believe it's two). Never assume that a centurion player is going to completely follow through with a heavy attack.

Everyone plays differently but centurion players only have a small variety of mix up potential and i've never seen any one cent player use it all at once. Once you've identified what type of centurion player they are, the easier it'll be to beat them.

the kick can be dodged but it needs to be timed right. anticipate it but don't jump the gun.

Always be aware that centurion does a lot of stamina damage so don't waste yours by trying to take him out quickly. if you get your stamina low enough it only takes one move on his part to deplete your stamina entirely and he can keep you there until death if he knows how to.

that's all i got, but really consider picking him up in the arena training mode, if not in multiplayer. play him a lot, or fight him a lot, either or/both will do. and just learn everything you can until a level 3 cent bot, two of them, three of them even, can't beat you.

Jazz117Volkov
06-16-2018, 03:53 PM
I was on Dominion today, bunch of Centurions. Like, 3+ every game. Spaghetti season, I suppose.

Anyway, here's the main reasons Cent is beating you up:
- Centurions love to parry, so don't be aggressive.
- You can't guardbreak a Cent's uncharged heavy, so don't parry bait.
- Cent's uncharged heavies have light parry timing.
- Cent's charged heavies are usually cancelled into guardbreaks.
- Every time a Cent wallsplats you, he creams his pants.

You can however destroy a Cent if you attack from the side. Everything he has is close range and forward facing, and his hard feints are garbage, so keep your distance and focus on countering his stuff from the side. The punch can be super annoying if you're not used to it or simply new to the game, it comes out fast but just remember he can't use it from neutral. If you turtle up, a lot of Cent's will try to open you with the punch or a kick, that's how you get to them.

The Legion Kick is easily the Cent's biggest weakness. Never dodge until you see the unblockable symbol, so it'll take some focus, but if you can frustrate them into going aggro, they'll definitely go for it. Dodge to the side and guardbreak. (Remember to not guard break until the dodge effect has stopped, or you'll go into what ever your hero's dodge + GB ability is, for most of them it's a shove).

Knight_Raime
06-16-2018, 05:43 PM
Everytime a post like this shows up , people are popping out claiming he's easy to counter
Well every other character , is way easier for me to defeat , so there's a paradox , Am I good or bad?

Answers like , learn the character's moves and timing
can be said about every character.
To be honest , I won't be surprised if those commenters are Centurion players themselves complaining on how much he needs a buff , even thought that's clearly not the case

why do you choose to ignore this sentence? "i'm fine with dying and losing a fight but being unable to fight back because i made a single mistake..."
You people do realize you can lose at least 50% of your health simply because you were caught in a single guardbreak?
not to mention you're unable to fight back once you get back up cause you were drained out of stamina

The reason people suggest going into training and practicing/picking the hero up yourself for a bit is because they're both very solid advice for any situation involving frustration with a single hero. If you're taking it as us saying the hero is fine that's your issue and you need to not make assumptions. I am a Centurion main. I wouldn't say he needs a straight buff. I'd say he needs a heavy rework. Which yes, does include buffs. But would also include nerfs. Even if you don't agree with me it's a widely shared opinion by the competitive community (which has top tier players in it mind you) that believe centurion is very weak. If you want to continue to disagree that's your parogotive. Centurion doesn't remove 50% of your health off of a guard break. The most he gets from a GB is an uncharged heavy which is 25 damage. If he got you out of stamina he can do a throw max punish for a 80+ damage. But if you think Centurion is the only kind of person capable of dishing this kind of damage in a max OOS punish you really need to do your research. Also he can't get drain your stamina bar entirely and damage you from a GB unless you were already close to being OOS. As 2 pommel smacks and a throw doesn't even equate to half your stamina bar.

Centurion is a very poor design from a video game design perspective. He is supbar on almost every aspect of his kit ... but when he guardbreaks you near a wall in Dominion with his 2nd feat unlocked, you'll lose almost 100% of your hp in a single punish. If one of his teamate is nearby, you're dead ... in that one single guardbreak.

He also drains all your stamina in a single parry punish.

After the OPness of Kensei / Berserker / Conqueror, Centurion is the most ANNOYING (not OP) character to fight against because of those absurd over the top punish.

It's nit picky but I've told you to stop spreading false information about this more than once. Centurion is not capable of draining all of your stamina in a single parry counter. his parry counter does 84 stamina damage. Which is less than the total amount of stamina any hero can have. And for the record both gladiator and warlord have a parry counter that does just as much or slightly less than centurions stamina damage wise. And we can't forget about shugoki's headbutt.

BlackArrow21
06-19-2018, 01:49 PM
I agree with you, but remember we're talking about low level - mid level players. If we need to reach higher tiers to be able to fight centurions back thats a big pile of fecal matter. Problem is that he is easily stopped once you learn the timings, but saying "make this and make that" to unexperienced players is not gonna work because they still need to pick centurion to learn him unlike other characters. I started playing 3-4 days ago and i only play with aramusha because i love him.

Berserkers, orochis, nobushis, even shugokis or any other class, after i fight a couple times against them i am able to find a way to counter or even fight back. But don't say centurion doesnt get half you HP with a guardbreak because in this levels that is absolutely not true. Everytime i miss a parry, dodge or GB half of my HP goes down with all my stamina.
I am able to fight back but only if i turtle.
For example, shinobi is one of the most annoying characters and if he gets to you he is lethal, but hey, his stamina drain is not that bad and his HP is low so we can manage that. Centurion on the other hand, has unblockables, stamina drain, kicks punches throws and that heavy thing he does when he throws you to the ground.

Problem is not that cent is unstoppable (totally not true), problem is that if Ubisoft want to get new players to play For Honor, maybe letting them faced experienced centurions is not the best idea. Because in these 4 days i've been playing, i've been faced with cents that honestly wrecked me.

Do you know what i think everytime i face a centurion and he does that cinematic combo (called like this for a reason)? Choose one of three:

A) Oh my god, i love this game so much i feel like i would like to get my butt visited once more by Maximus Decimus Meridius.
B) **** this ****, **** the devs, **** this guy, **** **** **** i'm gonna play pubg.
C) "Bravo Delta 24 calling for air support, requesting mortars and air-ground missiles, enemy has us surrounded, we are 4 and he is just one spamming GB button."

Thanks for the attention and sorry for the bad language, ban me if you please. :)

Legion25846
06-19-2018, 01:53 PM
I can give you advice on centurion

When he starts his cut scene combo push back and smash your space bar ( or whatever dodge is a on controller ) for a roll back this will 90% of the time reset the fight just be careful as it is punishing to your stam for the roll, most cents will follow up with a front kick to try to close the gap again so be ready for it.

if you want to try and stand and fight the cut scene it has 3 option once they start into it unblockable, guard break , Feint, 95% of the time they don't feint so this leaves 2 option Most will Guard break because its less punishing then getting parried on the unblockable which by the way is one the easier unblockables to parry. This will just come down to learning the person your fighting.

If you see him holding that unblockable ( he will glow orange for like 3 sec ) get ready top parry it you will **** him up hard.

the unblockable will normally follow from being shoved into a wall at this point your ****ed so stay away from all walls.

cut scene = the combo that your 100% complaining about.

The cent once you learn him is actually not as bad as you think honestly the higher you get the more you will realize he isnt even that viable a pick.

Centurion is a noob stomper he will make you hate the game and complain about him but the more you play him and fight him the more you will realize hes really not that good.

Im not saying you wont find people who will still reck you with him but that goes for all classes and people in this game

Yesterday i played against a LB who was level 44 and he ****ing destroyed me and people complain that the lawbringer is under powered so what does that make of me, yet ive completely dominated many LB in my time.

The_B0G_
06-19-2018, 02:55 PM
I hate fighting Centurions myself as well, but it's because I'm only average at CGB, the problem with Cent is, and it's been said time and time again, he plain ol' isn't fun to fight against, you can be destroying a cent and he gets one GB near a wall, 10 seconds later you're getting up with maybe a bar of health and barely any stamina.

That being said, his current move set can't be nerfed any more than it already has or he'll be completely useless, he's been nerfed multiple times since release already.

They need a Cent rework like the Kensei got, he needs new moves, animations and mixups, the dev team needs to figure out how to make him less cancerous with the cutscene style stuff and make him more like everyone else in the game.

papa_joseph1
06-26-2018, 04:26 AM
Thanks for all the advice, it really has helped me deal with cents! I agree with everyone here and say Cent needs a rework not a nerf, it's pretty obvious.