PDA

View Full Version : Bombing, how is it modeled?

Stackhouse25th
07-15-2006, 09:09 PM
I take a JU88 with 2x SC2000s. I drop my bombs, does the bomb damage = 2000KG (since they land next to each other), or does it equal 4000KG?

Why is there no feature to select one bomb each salvo? I coudl really enjoy dropping one bomb at a time, since I could hit more targets, or spread the explosion over a larger area.

Stackhouse25th
07-15-2006, 09:09 PM
I take a JU88 with 2x SC2000s. I drop my bombs, does the bomb damage = 2000KG (since they land next to each other), or does it equal 4000KG?

Why is there no feature to select one bomb each salvo? I coudl really enjoy dropping one bomb at a time, since I could hit more targets, or spread the explosion over a larger area.

FritzGryphon
07-15-2006, 09:19 PM
I once tested the effective radius of bombs in FB, using a row of T34s.

There were 20 tanks, lined up side by side. The bomb was dropped on one end of the row, and the radius was measured by how many tanks in the row were destroyed. I forget the exact numbers, but an SC500 might destroy 7 tanks in the row, and 2xSC500 would destroy 9 tanks.

Using multiple bombs of the same size did slightly increase the number of tanks destroyed. However, it was not double, but only a difference of 1-2 tanks.

Dropping multiple bombs is really only effective if the target requires more than one to destroy, like a large ship. For light targets, staggered drops would be better.

The only way I know to do this is to drop the bombs at such a height, that they scatter before they reach the ground.

Keep in mind that, in many cases, seperate release was not possible. For CoG restrictions, asymmetric bombs would be released at the same time.

WWSensei
07-16-2006, 07:17 AM
I'd say bomb damage was modelled "poorly" in this game. It falls into some strange world of unknown physics where you can drop a 500kg bomb next to a tank and not even ruffle it but the tank 50 meters away explodes. Or, drop it in the middle of a convoy and have the vehicles on each end destroyed but the ones in the middle survive.

The bomb damage in this game is much lower than real life (I've actually dropped dumb iron Mk82s (500lbs) and Mk84s (1000lbs) on armored targets) and the effects we see are significantly lower. The dumb iron bomb of today isn't marketedly different from the ones in WW2.

One problem in game is that all bombs explode on surface contact so there is no penetration and blast damage is modelled strangely.