PDA

View Full Version : PC Question AC 3 Seafaring

Druncan09
06-15-2018, 10:40 AM
My first AC game was Origins which I loved apart from the seafaring (not steal, er borrowing someone's boat), which I found tedious to the point of ruining the game.

I then played Syndicate, was there a seafaring bit in that? If so it was mercifully short or I've wiped it from my memory due to the trauma. I've bought Black Flag, but since found out it is mainly based on the seafaring, so I'll not be playing that.

So, I'm playing AC3 now which has gone mostly well considering it's quite an old game, but wait - NOOOO. Another bolted on bit of seafaring, really? Is this a feature of all AC games? I really can't get on with this feature, I hate everything about it. So my question is: Is there any way around this or has my game come to an ultimely end?

Also, if there is a plan to add this really unnecessary feature to Odyssey, please make it optional.

cawatrooper9
06-15-2018, 04:30 PM
Hey Druncan09,

Here's the basic bits of "seafaring" in AC history:

AC1: Altair can't even swim

AC2-Revelations: Ezio can use some gondola style boats in canals and rivers, but that's about it.

ACIII: There are maybe 3 naval missions in the main story. There is also a 100% optional naval campaign.

ACIV/Rogue: Lots of naval, but it's so fleshed out and awesome that I'd definitely suggest it. Personally, I find it a lot more fulfilling that Origins boat stuff

Unity/Syndicate: No naval stuff, unless you count the Frogger-style method of crossing the Thames via hopping across boats (which is a ton of fun)

Origins: There are boats, and Bayek can pilot small dinghys, but I wouldn't really call this naval

Odyssey: Looks like a far more fleshed out naval element is coming.

Druncan09
06-15-2018, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. Origins has some naval battles, the biggest 'Ambush at Sea' is a 'bonus' from the Gold edition, I think (some bonus if you hate the concept). I've ignored that on the 2nd time around, but I'm pretty sure Aya goes off to sea anyway as part of the story, I remember the sinking feeling (pardon the pun) when it started and I prepared myself for the word Desynchronised to appear many times on my screen.

AC3s battle I've got stuck on is just so bad it's stopped me playing it. Starting with a ship you can't steer because of 'rogue winds' and Haytham's constant jibes. I managed to fluke my way through to the next checkpoint by crashing into an island at full sail - deliberately as I was just so annoyed. But then the battle starts in earnest, I fire my cannon - a warning saying switch to grapeshot to disable the sails pops up, fair enough, but switching to grapeshot brings up the same warning? The button to press, as shown in the warning makes the graphic change to a smaller cannon ball, but grapeshot is actually musketballs dug out of the hull, bits of old nails or anything hard or sharp, preferably both, so is the button wrong? A bug or a glitch? I just can't get through this part, I don't want to even engage with this action, so, can it be by-passed in any way?

cawatrooper9
06-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. Origins has some naval battles, the biggest 'Ambush at Sea' is a 'bonus' from the Gold edition, I think (some bonus if you hate the concept). I've ignored that on the 2nd time around, but I'm pretty sure Aya goes off to sea anyway as part of the story, I remember the sinking feeling (pardon the pun) when it started and I prepared myself for the word Desynchronised to appear many times on my screen.

Oh yes, of course, those as well! :p

AC3s battle I've got stuck on is just so bad it's stopped me playing it. Starting with a ship you can't steer because of 'rogue winds' and Haytham's constant jibes. I managed to fluke my way through to the next checkpoint by crashing into an island at full sail - deliberately as I was just so annoyed. But then the battle starts in earnest, I fire my cannon - a warning saying switch to grapeshot to disable the sails pops up, fair enough, but switching to grapeshot brings up the same warning? The button to press, as shown in the warning makes the graphic change to a smaller cannon ball, but grapeshot is actually musketballs dug out of the hull, bits of old nails or anything hard or sharp, preferably both, so is the button wrong? A bug or a glitch? I just can't get through this part, I don't want to even engage with this action, so, can it be by-passed in any way?

Hmm, it's been a while since I played naval content in AC3, but from what I remember:

-Rogue winds can be easily mitigated by lowering sails accordingly.

-Are you sure it's asking for "grapeshot"? Should be "Chainshot".

I'd check out this video to see how a player beat this scene.

https://youtu.be/ACJYknJHC78

Hope that helps!

Druncan09
06-15-2018, 09:09 PM
Sorry, my nautical terms all come from Sid Meiers Pirates from the Commodore 64 back in the 80s.

I've watched quite a few videos of Syndicate and AC3 when I've got into difficulies and I would have to say that gameplay has been made considerably harder on the PC since these videos were made on consoles back in the day. Thanks for your help.

I have Unity and Rogue bought in a bundle with Black Flag and Syndicate. As I hate ships I've already written off Black Flag, I've finished Syndicate, so which out of Rogue or Unity has the least 'ship' content for my next foray into AC?

I would associate assassins with sneaking around, getting into and out of buildings without detection, but as far as I can tell, Evie in Syndicate was the first character to fully utilise these things. The sneaking aspects have been sadly lacking in AC3, it has been more of a beat-em-up in comparison with Origins. Maybe I'm in a minority, but I watched someone complain about sleep darts and poison arrows on one video, I for one would be bitterly disappointed if these were not included in Odyssey - just my opinion.

cawatrooper9
06-18-2018, 02:52 PM
For sure, hope that helped!

If you like sneaking and sleep darts, I think you might be surprised how much you enjoy Black Flag. Despite the fact that it definitely features some heavy naval combat stuff, it also brought a lot of innovation to the stealth gameplay of the series.