PDA

View Full Version : graphics cards

whenden
08-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Has anybody got any advice for me about graphics cards that would work better for PF.I've got a decent spec computer pent 4,512 meg installed memory but i am experiancing very slow frame rate,almost unplayable,especially when lots of action on screen.I think the culprit is my nvidia geforce fx 5700LE geaphics card,which i'm aware isn't top of the range. If anyone has any advice for me(i.e a graphics card that does work well) i would appreciate it as i think PF is a great flight fight sim and i'm not getting the best out of it.Thank you.

whenden
08-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Has anybody got any advice for me about graphics cards that would work better for PF.I've got a decent spec computer pent 4,512 meg installed memory but i am experiancing very slow frame rate,almost unplayable,especially when lots of action on screen.I think the culprit is my nvidia geforce fx 5700LE geaphics card,which i'm aware isn't top of the range. If anyone has any advice for me(i.e a graphics card that does work well) i would appreciate it as i think PF is a great flight fight sim and i'm not getting the best out of it.Thank you.

Dumbo_AK32nd
08-31-2005, 10:15 AM
If you've got the $$$, then NVidia's 6800 series is the way to go.

huggy87
08-31-2005, 11:01 AM
Currently the geforce 7800 gtx (about $600) is the top of the line. The geforce 6800 ultra and the ATI 850x come in second. Right now, however, the latest geforce drivers are giving PF players problems. Hopefully that will be fixed.

HoneySeeker
08-31-2005, 12:27 PM
Memory is cheap. Try at least doubling the amount of RAM installed; that and something like a Radeon 9800XT will probably give you a bigger boost than a top-of-the-range graphics card alone.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-31-2005, 12:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HoneySeeker:
Memory is cheap. Try at least doubling the amount of RAM installed; that and something like a Radeon 9800XT will probably give you a bigger boost than a top-of-the-range graphics card alone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said. You need more ram mate.

Also, the new 7800 GTX cards are PCIX only with no plans for an AGP flavor. I'd say get a 6800GT or ultra and double your ram. That would be ideal, but if on a budget, double your ram and get a 9800XT as stated earlier. Take a look here: http://www.pricewatch.com/ or here: http://www.magnum-pc.com

RAM and VC should come to less than $300 and show a noticeable increase in playability. Like somone finally turned on the light...be sure.

TB

VT-51_Razor
08-31-2005, 12:40 PM
What Honey said! I have a P4 2.53 with 1Gig of ram and an 256M ATi 9800XT. I run the game at 1024x768x32 in "perfect" mode with water=1 and the new clouds enabled, and I get frames averaging in the 30-40's online. The ATi card was a recent replacement, and it was about $265.

neil_1821
08-31-2005, 12:53 PM
I rekon you should def get 1GB of RAM, i also highly recommend the 6800GT graphics card running with the AMD 64 bit processor. If you get the same motherboard and graphics card as me you will be able to buy another 6800gt graphics card in the future and run both at the same time so no need to buy another expensive card.

Iron_Hand1
08-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Yes....What they said. Buy another 512 and get that box up to 1 Gig of RAM.
We have 3-4 mates running 5700le cards in our squad and they can see pretty well running on excellent. 95% of your slow frames and stutters are because you need more RAM.

S~

Brass_Monkey
08-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Running a P4 3.4 1 gig ram, Nvidia 6800 GTO 256 meg,Perfect mode, water 3, great graphics and water texture

LEXX_Luthor
08-31-2005, 03:34 PM
I finally got my ATI-9800 this year. With the Cat 5.4 drivers I have perfect flawless operation over the FB. 1280x960x32, 2x AA/AF, Perfect Mode, full cloud detail, and ~45fps low over Kuban forest mountains.

1GB RAM also helps make the game lightning fast and smooth operating.

JunkoIfurita
08-31-2005, 06:16 PM
The RAM does make a heck of a difference, but it's not the only thing.

In my recently replaced machine, I was running a Gigabyte of RAM, with a 2.4GHz P4 and a 5700LEQ (same as yours, but with 256MB onboard...no improvement).

My frames aren't bad, their minimum is about 15 (which ok, is pretty bad), but their max is only about 25. I run at 1152*864 - I know I should run at 1024*768 only with my setup, but with no anti-aliasing available to me, I just can't give up the image quality. If I'd had a 9600XT or a 9800Pro as a graphics card, I'd have had no complaints at this stage!

Mind you, I've just upgraded to a P4 660, 2*7800GTXs in SLI, ASUS P5ND2SLI-Deluxe Mobo and 2 Gigabytes of Kingmax DDR2. Never drop below 60fps at 1280*1024 (the default resolution of my LCD monitor) w/ water=2. w/ water=3 I remain at 60+ usually, dropping down to a low of 35-40 at massive overkill times (like hundreds of planes, or 'Kamikaze.trk')

----

Texas LongHorn
09-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Jeez Gents, both Razor and LEXX agree on the same post, check my pulse, I must be dead!!! You guys make the essentially same point in that you don't have to have cutting edge gear to run PFamily well. That said, even on the student budget both of you dudes need at least another, if not two gigs of ram each. That way when the _pricey_ graphics GPU goes in at least you know you're ready for the ride! All the best you nutsoes, LongHorn

fordfan25
09-01-2005, 12:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by whenden:
Has anybody got any advice for me about graphics cards that would work better for PF.I've got a decent spec computer pent 4,512 meg installed memory but i am experiancing very slow frame rate,almost unplayable,especially when lots of action on screen.I think the culprit is my nvidia geforce fx 5700LE geaphics card,which i'm aware isn't top of the range. If anyone has any advice for me(i.e a graphics card that does work well) i would appreciate it as i think PF is a great flight fight sim and i'm not getting the best out of it.Thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what speed is your P4? if its to slow it would not matter if you had two 6800ultra in sli.
i would recomend a p4 cpu speed of at least 2.5 but faster would be ALOT better.if your under a 2200 or so then id spend the mony on a cpu and ram youd still have to cut back on the eye candy but in bigger missions youd have better FPS when the shizzle hits the fan. yes double your ram to a gig. if your CPU is at least 2.5 the id recommend a 6600gt or 9800xt. if you have a cpu thats above a 3.0 then you might see a deffernce going up to a 6800gt or x800xt but not alot. FB/PF is more cpu and ram intense than gpu. all though you would not want to match a 4000 amd with a 9800pro eather http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

stansdds
09-01-2005, 04:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mind you, I've just upgraded to a P4 660, 2*7800GTXs in SLI, ASUS P5ND2SLI-Deluxe Mobo and 2 Gigabytes of Kingmax DDR2. Never drop below 60fps at 1280*1024 (the default resolution of my LCD monitor) w/ water=2. w/ water=3 I remain at 60+ usually, dropping down to a low of 35-40 at massive overkill times (like hundreds of planes, or 'Kamikaze.trk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DANG!!!! I have an AMD 3500+, 2GB RAM, SB Audigy 2ZS and GF6800 Ultra PCIe and my frame rates bottom out at 15 (for only a second when the A6M5c slams into the hull on the Kamikaze track) with water =1. With water=3, my frame rates drop nearly one half.

From what I have read, for most systems an overclocked 6800 GT is about as fast as a 6800 Ultra. I'd consider overclocking my 6800 Ultra and processor, but the video card already runs on the hot side and that makes me think it is near its peak at the stock settings. The CPU fan (stock) is inadequate for any overclocking. I've also heard that IL2-AEP-PF does not take well to overclocked systems.

WOLFMondo
09-01-2005, 05:58 AM
Silly Nvidia fan boyshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. Look at your other options before you buy a card, ATi also have a pretty good range of cards at good prices and SLI isn't all its cracked up to be. The $$$ vs performance isn't too great to be honest. You don't need to buy 2 GFX cards to run a game like IL2:FB and get the absolute top performance from it and still have room to spare for games in the future.

ATI arguably have better driver support at the minute as they support third party drivers as well as have less issues on a large number of games compared with Nvidia who a few years ago had unparalleled driver support.

I got a X800XT PCIe, 2GB Corsair DDR400LL, 939 pin AMD 3500 on Kamikaze it never drops below 50fps and I have everything absolutly maxed out both sound (using the onboard sound with at full quality) and graphics, FSAA is time 6 and AF is times 16 with all the sliders set to quality. It basically cannot get any better and it seems to get better performance than some SLI set ups which is suprising.

TgD Thunderbolt56
09-01-2005, 06:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WOLFMondo:
Silly Nvidia fan boyshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. Look at your other options before you buy a card, ATi also have a pretty good range of cards at good prices and SLI isn't all its cracked up to be. The $$$ vs performance isn't too great to be honest. You don't need to buy 2 GFX cards to run a game like IL2:FB and get the absolute top performance from it and still have room to spare for games in the future.

ATI arguably have better driver support at the minute as they support third party drivers as well as have less issues on a large number of games compared with Nvidia who a few years ago had unparalleled driver support.

I got a X800XT PCIe, 2GB Corsair DDR400LL, 939 pin AMD 3500 on Kamikaze it never drops below 50fps and I have everything absolutly maxed out both sound (using the onboard sound with at full quality) and graphics, FSAA is time 6 and AF is times 16 with all the sliders set to quality. It basically cannot get any better and it seems to get better performance than some SLI set ups which is suprising. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very good point. While SLI isn't paying performance dividends when comparing the $$$ vs performance aspect it is still a substantial improvement in most cases and will only get better as software developers write code to exploit it more.. ATI will release it's version of connecting two VC's in concert and seems to have a better (and more versatile) handle on how to apply it with consumers in mind.

FYI, ATI's version will not require internal linking but can be done outside the case with simple DVI connectors and will also allow the use of different cards while still realizing the performance boost of 2 cards. For instance you can have a X800XL and add an X800 pro and have them work just fine together. This setup has decidedly better promise IMO and will make the upgrade process to dual cards more economical and easier for the majority.

I have Nvidia hardware in my rig, but have no issues jumping to ATI when this architecture matures.

Likewise, I have every intention of building a rig with an AMD X2 proc after running Intel for the past 6 years exclusively as well.

TB

WOLFMondo
09-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Being a fan boy of hardware really holds some people back. Like yourself I've been an intel user for years, i've owned AMD's as well at the same time but always was disappointed but I got the 64 bit 939 pin chip anyway based on reviews and future proofing rather than being loyal to intel.

Nvidia are the same, I've had Nvidia cards before but when I bought my last card I looked at performance and support vs price and ATI win. There take on SLI is also allot better than Nvidia's.

Basically go with whats give you the best performance for the best price rather than fan boy loyalty.

uberchuckie
09-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Refurished ATI X800Pro for $179

http://shop.ati.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=39