PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Greek Pronunciation

Shrykull_the1st
06-13-2018, 11:36 PM
There were conspicuous mistakes on Ancient Greek in Origins and I fear them permeating also to Odyssey, which is all about Ancient Greece!

With all these Hellenic names, from which to choose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ancient_Greeks

There is some Barnabas (Hebrew name) in fifth century BCE Mykonos. I truly hope him to be from Near East then.
And all heard pronunciation is from modern Greek (or at most from fourth century CE). What "Iraclis"? "Heracles"!

In interviews Jonathan Dumont says history being their care...there will be chanties in Ancient Greek. Do not pass this pronunciation as "Ancient Greek". x)

Get some Ancient Greek speaking coaches to those Hellenic actors! I do not doubt you having the money. Spend it on some deserving scholars. :)

Alakazou
06-14-2018, 02:29 AM
//There is some Barnabas (Hebrew name) in fifth century BCE Mykonos.//

The name barnabas is the hellenization of an aramean name so not a hebrew name ;)

//And all heard pronunciation is from modern Greek (or at most from fourth century CE). What "Iraclis"? "Heracles"!//

The problem with ancien greek is that we don't really know how they really talked it. We have some idea about the pronociation but it happens that some sound would be frenchified if the person speak in french. As a Québécois, my first language is french so when I have to speak in ancient greek, I will frenchified the diphtong eu and I will say éou. The rhô need to be roll, but in french we will not roll the R. The same thing will happen if the actor speak in english etc.

So it's probably the fact that the actor came from an english speaking and french speaking background.

Achilleus-
01-21-2019, 07:01 AM
It's weird how they went through the trouble of attempting to recreate Ancient Egyptian for Origins but not recreate Ancient Greek pronunciation for Odyssey. Sure no one knows exactly what Ancient Egyptian sounded like, but to put effort into an attempt is worth a lot for immersion.

For example the betacism in Modern Greek (pronouncing the letter B as a V) only started in the second century AD.