PDA

View Full Version : @ Ubi - Walk Animation in Odyssey

Grayfox-87-
06-13-2018, 09:22 PM
Like the titel says, i have noticed in every AC: Odyssey Gameplay Video that the Running animations don't look so smooth like in Origins, just the beginning of your Sprint looks similar to Origins.
But if Alexios or Kasandra not Sprint (means put not the stick full power forward) it looks weird.... these walk animations remembers me - sorry for that - on The Witches 3!

There's a Video from ACVideos that compares all these animation, take a look on it and let me know what you thougt:
https://youtu.be/IQ1F6NL14Tg

Don't get me wrong, I love the setting, the game looks Amazing, the Characters looks cool (just no beard for Alexios :P) but I just want that these setting would be perfect (for me) summarized,these are these 2 things what need to be changed/implent:
Walk Animations
Spartan Beard for Alexios

To make the Game perfect.

Frag_Maniac
06-14-2018, 02:43 AM
Meh, it's a matter of opinion really. Also, ever since motion capture such animations are not merely scripted, they're actually captured from a live person. That also means how that character walks is a 1:1 representation of how the person it was captured from walks. Do you really want each installment to look as though it was captured from the same person? Little differences like these are part of what makes each character in each game different.

Now if we were talking about different appearances of Ezio throughout his installments, I could see your point, but when you're comparing an Egyptian male from one game to a Greek female in another, there's no correlation, and thus no point.

Also, forcing a certain type of beard is not a good idea, it would be better to have it as an option. Since they seem to have put more emphasis on clothing than on body or facial customization though, I would not expect it.

distrust74
06-14-2018, 08:40 AM
I agree with Greyfox, the whole game looks fantastic, but the walking animation instantly stood out as a negative, especially Kassandra`s.
It just looks oddly wooden and unnatural. As a quick analysis, I think her feet are too close together and her steps are too short / fast.
Tbh. I hope it`s just a placeholder animation.

Meh, it's a matter of opinion really. Also, ever since motion capture such animations are not merely scripted, they're actually captured from a live person. That also means how that character walks is a 1:1 representation of how the person it was captured from walks.
I am not an expert on animation, but I don`t think it`s that simple. There are lots of transitions and adjustments in play. Walk-to-run, different terrain angles, character stopping (usually faster than in reality), probably different walking speeds, feet adjusting to uneven ground, leaning to the side when running a circle. Also the motion capture is unlikely to 100% meet the speed the ingame character moves at.
I don`t know the tech details, but I am pretty sure there is a lot that can be messed up after the mo-cap.

Frag_Maniac
06-14-2018, 08:58 AM
There are lots of transitions and adjustments in play. Walk-to-run, different terrain angles, character stopping (usually faster than in reality), probably different walking speeds, feet adjusting to uneven ground, leaning to the side when running a circle.
Yet in your stated opinion of it, you only mentioned her style of walking.

"It just looks oddly wooden and unnatural. As a quick analysis, I think her feet are too close together and her steps are too short / fast."

Being as you're obviously speculating and don't know how motion capture works, I don't think you can really be "pretty sure" about anything on the subject. A lot of Amazonian (tall, strong) women don't walk like typical females you see, which is why it probably looks "wooden" to you. Plus it's well known that in female anatomy, it's common for their femurs to be canted slightly inward because they typically have wider hips than males to facilitate childbirth, which is also why their feet are usually closer together.

Grayfox-87-
06-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Yet in your stated opinion of it, you only mentioned her style of walking.

"It just looks oddly wooden and unnatural. As a quick analysis, I think her feet are too close together and her steps are too short / fast."

Being as you're obviously speculating and don't know how motion capture works, I don't think you can really be "pretty sure" about anything on the subject. A lot of Amazonian (tall, strong) women don't walk like typical females you see, which is why it probably looks "wooden" to you. Plus it's well known that in female anatomy, it's common for their femurs to be canted slightly inward because they typically have wider hips than males to facilitate childbirth, which is also why their feet are usually closer together.

Sry Frag maniac - but a lot of people says that - i have show my friends this compilation video and the first they say, THE RUNNING ANIMATION looks like he has a Stock in his ***....! Bayer runs more liqud an natural - nobody runs like alexios or Kasandra! If I have time I will upload a video on YouTube tomorow and bring you that fact...!

IMO and in a lot of other it don't looks good as I thought it should!

distrust74
06-14-2018, 10:11 AM
Frag_Maniac, my post was aimed at your idea that in today`s games a walking animation would automatically look natural because it`d be a 1:1 mo-cap.
That`s true for cutscenes, but like I said there is more going on during gameplay.

You are right though, it`s already the base walking cycle I find to look very off. Nothing to do with the style of walking, it just doesn`t look natural at all. Weight, speed, gap ...it just doesn`t seem to come together properly.

raddevbor
06-14-2018, 11:26 AM
There's a Video from ACVideos that compares all these animation, take a look on it and let me know what you thougt:
https://youtu.be/IQ1F6NL14Tg

For my eyes her walk looks pretty normal, feminine (see how it differs from Barnabas' walk).
I agree that running is somewhat wooden - like motion caption were never used for it.

Grayfox-87-
06-14-2018, 12:04 PM
For my eyes her walk looks pretty normal, feminine (see how it differs from Barnabas' walk).
I agree that running is somewhat wooden - like motion caption were never used for it.

Don't get me wrong:
Walk looks perfect, also the Sprint animation - but I guess it's the normal run speed who looks wooden..!

Frag_Maniac
06-14-2018, 08:37 PM
Frag_Maniac, my post was aimed at your idea that in today`s games a walking animation would automatically look natural because it`d be a 1:1 mo-cap.
That`s true for cutscenes, but like I said there is more going on during gameplay.

You are right though, it`s already the base walking cycle I find to look very off. Nothing to do with the style of walking, it just doesn`t look natural at all. Weight, speed, gap ...it just doesn`t seem to come together properly.
No, I didn't say it would look natural, just a copy of the one used for mo cap. What looks "natural" to you depends on what you perceive as natural. If you see 100 games with X types of mo cap, then Y comes along, you're going to think Y looks unnatural, even though it's perfectly natural to the one whom it was mo capped from. Which gets back to my saying these are mere matters of opinion.

What I really hate most about this is we all know gamers these days want as much realism as possible. They should also know that means using mo cap, and anyone should know using mo cap means that it's going to look different for each person that is mo capped. I mean this is the height of nit pickery. It's not like we as gamers need to act like fashion model judges thumbing their noses saying "I don't know, I don't like the way that one walks, bring in the next one." I mean it's like Simon Cowell level of snobbery.

Now if we were talking how the mo cap is applied to the game world itself, that is an entirely different and very legit argument, and those kind of adjustments are generally a big part of making sure NPCs don't get hung up on terrain, while trying to retain as much realism as possible. Take the new Death Stranding E3 footage for example. We see Norman Reedus' character walking a lot of terrain, and his stride often looks faster than is realistic, almost gliding. You have to look close to see it, and it happens mostly uphill, especially on stairs. These are the kind of things that are ironed out in the finishing touches of a game though. It's too soon to judge anything as final yet on a late year release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OfBwCmSEHg

distrust74
06-14-2018, 11:47 PM

Walk looks perfect, also the Sprint animation - but I guess it's the normal run speed who looks wooden..!

Yes agreed, I have to correct myself there as well, talking about "walking" was inaccurate, it`s the "slow running" that looks off.
Good example here, at about 2m15s.

https://youtu.be/fN-9EbAQ7R8?t=2m14s

Prkl8r
06-15-2018, 01:07 AM
In general I think the animations look worse than Origin.

Not as smooth or polished.

Grayfox-87-
06-24-2018, 12:22 PM
No, I didn't say it would look natural, just a copy of the one used for mo cap. What looks "natural" to you depends on what you perceive as natural. If you see 100 games with X types of mo cap, then Y comes along, you're going to think Y looks unnatural, even though it's perfectly natural to the one whom it was mo capped from. Which gets back to my saying these are mere matters of opinion.

Sry Frag_Maniac - but you are a little bit Blind IMO - Ubisoft use the SAME Antimations from Kasandra and put them into Alexios - GOD DAMIT he runs like a GIRL!!!!!!!
And thats what looks weird, not natural and not suitable for a Male Character...!

playker
09-30-2018, 12:38 PM
I hope they add some male animations to the final release or if not for the final release, for an early patch. Or just use the same walking animation used for Bayek goddammit

ProdiGurl
09-30-2018, 12:52 PM
(from video example on previous pg). Ya I think it's the lack of her left arm moving as she slow runs (trots) - make it look a little rigid, not as much fluid motion.
I'm sure while we're playing it won't really be noticeable, I can live with this one. =)

SgtWolf1
10-01-2018, 12:07 AM
Would be great if they had Alexios walk like John Wayne. I usually never walk in Assassins Creed games as it would take forever to get anywhere, but would more if they gave me the John Wayne walk:cool:

https://youtu.be/BjRSbswVk9g

Lysette88
10-01-2018, 12:27 AM
Yes..walking is ok IMO, she doesn't walk like a man of course - but you are right, this "slowly running" looks stiff with too short and too fast steps. But I guess that happens, if you put a lady, used to heels in boots and tell her "run slowly" - hahaha.

Lysette88
10-01-2018, 12:29 AM
Because that is what you do in heels, if you have to "run" - you make short step, very fast and those looks stiff, because you cannot roll up, but have to run on your frontal part of the foot, or you would break up a heel.

seek-
10-04-2018, 07:04 PM
I agree... The walking animation for Alexios looks kinda awkward. Hope they change it in a future patch. They cut and pasted a lot animations from Origins they should have just left it alone.

Swat_679
10-07-2018, 05:45 AM
Totally agree. It's actually quite unbelievable that all other previous AC games had walking speed just about right, the old ones actually normal walk and fast walk. And yet in the latest instalment the broke something that didn't need to be fixed. I'm personally immersion focused player and when I really get into it I just want to enter the city and walk there with other people, just want to blend in. Can't do that in Odyssey, because my hero walks the way like he's just got something in his pants..... Wonder if devs realize that some players want to WALK around the map, not jog, not run, nothing between, just W.A.L.K...

phildetrill
10-08-2018, 04:09 AM
I totally agree with this. I can't believe I don't see more threads on this. For me it's as big as the Mass Effect animation problem. Only this time it's not mainly about facial animation, but with the walking/moving/fighting animation. It's always been so good in AC games, I don't understand what happened... It's really a downgrade from every previous AC games. Even the first AC had better run/moving animation (it has always been really good honestly). In Odyssey, it feels like the character is gliding on air. It really ruins the experience for me. It honestly discourages me from playing the game, it's all I'm thinking about when playing and it's really frustrating since I'm sure the rest of the game is amazing. I really hope they can/will fix this. :(

HieromAlex
10-08-2018, 04:56 AM
I agree. The walk/run animations are weird, while Bayek's were very cool. And it can like ruined the experience if you look too much your character.

BigCamelRider
10-08-2018, 05:40 AM
The speed of walking is influenced by the location you are at, when you are "investigating" or visiting some important indoor location, the character will walk at a slower pace, the same goes with the mount; in towns you will not be able to sprint with a horse but you can do that outside (down shift further increases the pace, like in past AC games). I really like Kassandra's walk she is clearly strong and even in cutscenes she is way taller than other people.

*not 100% on this but I think you can go slower using a gamepad, I only tried it briefly at the beginning.

Swat_679
10-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Man there are people playing on keyboards, why would I buy a gamepad only to be able to walk slowly in a game shere devs screwed up the animation and general feel from walking slowly? This needs to be fixed, I played for half an hour and I can't continue because of this. Walking with the character, who is rather trotting everywhere feels idiotic in a correspondence with the surrounding world where everything is paced normally.

Spidermonk111
10-09-2018, 02:19 AM
The walk needs to be slower when walking using KB/M. On a controller you can push the stick slightly forward and achieve a normal walking speed AND normal animation. Really, the animation looks SO much better before fast walking. Actually it reminds me of this lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-AHk19aU24

The character will also start to pant while "walking" which seems really really awkward. Slow it down to where it was on Origins and it'd be 100% better than now.

UbiCosmos
10-09-2018, 02:33 AM
Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for your feedback! We enjoy hearing your observations of Odyssey. I will be sure to get in touch with the team and share your thoughts with them! :)

colinalx
10-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Totally agree , walking animation is way to fast...slow it down so my Alexios can walk triumphantly pls!!

Dubya75
10-10-2018, 01:47 PM
So it was noticed all the way back in June that Alexois' walking and running animations were "off" but it was still released in that state. Disappointing.
Bayek's animations both in style and quality is far superior to that of Alexios.
I'm convinced that Alexios was given the same walking animation as Kassandra. This is just lazy!

Creating such an incredible game and then doing a half-hearted job on the playable (male) character compromises all that effort!

SunsetSeeker
10-10-2018, 02:32 PM
I haven't read all comments, so here comes my opinion:

First, thanks Ubi for the game, which is (along with AC Origins) the best AC yet and one of the greatest Action-RPGs of all time. The setting is perfect, for my taste even more interesting than AC Origins..
But I must agree to the walking animation problem: Alexios (and most likely Kassandra too) is "sliding" over the ground when turning, and he looks stupid while running at full speed. The speed itself is ok for my taste. All in all the animations of Bayek looked better, especially his "connection" to the ground.

So, I would apreciate an animation patch. Thanks and keep up the good work.