PDA

View Full Version : is it still p2w?

WOTH.Lo-fi
06-13-2018, 02:59 PM
Is for honor still pay to win? I know that like a year ago they were complaining about it being pay to win because you can buy the metal and if you have better weapons and things with the metal you are going to win if you are even close to evenly matched.

Vakris_One
06-13-2018, 03:05 PM
It was never pay to win dude, have you actually played the game yourself? Steel only buys you different cosmetics, emotes, effects and executions. You cannot buy better gear. You have to level up your character via playing the game to get better gear to drop for you. The more you play the game the better your gear. That's it.

KitingFatKidsEZ
06-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Its more grind to win than pay to win but...

you can pay to gain 40% more exp --> shorten the grind. (which pretty much makes it pay to win for the modes that have gear on)

You get the best possible gear starting at reputation 7 (8) (only for that single character, new character--> new grind) which takes quite a while to farm.

Duel, Brawl. And the ranked modes that nobody plays all have no gear stats and are objectively NOT p2w or grind2win.

The other modes give fairly relevant benefits to players with better gear. Revenge gain (which you get late) and defense penetration (which you can get very easily without much grind put in) in particular make a huge difference.

You still have to get lucky to roll the gear you want but for the free2play player its easy enough to farm more steel than you will need to gear out your characters every few levels to a reasonable degree.

CandleInTheDark
06-13-2018, 03:07 PM
It has never been pay to win, in order to access the higher tier gear you need to have a certain amount of reputation points, each of which take around five hours in dominion pvp, no matter how much money you throw at it, you are unable to to get blue tier until rep one, so around five hours, purple until rep three, gold until rep five, cyan until rep 7 (so thirty five hours per character), then there are minimal boosts in refined gear at I believe 8 and 9 (could be wrong on those). This isn't like NBA 2k18 where you can buy an overall 85 character and start grinding with an advantage over 60 overalls.

You can argue that people can buy steel for champion status but if you play regularly you can buy that with in game currency, most of what steel is used for is cosmetic or for emotes (again no game effect) and executions, while it can be argued that some executions are quicker and longer ones give more health regen, characters generally start with a quick one and a slightly longer one by default and again these can be bought with currency earned in game. The only people who really need to spend money are those who want every character to have an outfit, fancy effects (both of which entirely cosmetic) and all their executions or who want to try new characters early and without spending their steel earned in game on them.

WOTH.Lo-fi
06-13-2018, 03:08 PM
mmm no i was looking into it but i heard that there was a way for you to buy things that upgrade your weapons like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQSpjfs-z1w that is what i was worried about.

DrinkinMyStella
06-13-2018, 03:09 PM
the in game coins you buy only really help towards cosmetic things such as, outfits and scavenger crates and also executions, emotes etc it doesn't really help improve your fighter because the base stats are not that far off a fully maxed out player. Its a skill based game so no amount of money can improve your skill at the game. sure if you hit rep 7 and spend real money to buy crates and quickly get good gear and max them out then yea your stats may be better on paper but in the actually game skill beats gear score 100% of the time. I personally when I hit rep 7 with a new hero spend real money on crates to get myself legendary weapons and to improve my look thats my choice and its my money and it makes me feel better that my hero looks good as soon as he/she can but I don't spend money to help enhance my gaming skill because it doesn't work like that.

WOTH.Lo-fi
06-13-2018, 03:11 PM
so is that video i posted wrong?

CandleInTheDark
06-13-2018, 03:11 PM
mmm no i was looking into it but i heard that there was a way for you to buy things that upgrade your weapons like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQSpjfs-z1w that is what i was worried about.

And you'll notice that all the gear pieces there are grey, no matter how much money is thrown into that, until you have hit experience prerequisites all he will ever get is grey gear which has a smaller boost than the gear above it. He can throw $1000 at it and he still won't get top tier gear.

WOTH.Lo-fi
06-13-2018, 03:13 PM
oh i see thank you i really didn't post this as a troll thing. I just really didn't understand so basically until you hit that skill level (or whatever) you can't use it? or not as well until you hit that level?

KitingFatKidsEZ
06-13-2018, 03:16 PM
so is that video i posted wrong?

gear stats are still in the game. They have different stats now but the ones i mentioned above are still as relevant as run speed back then.

Champion status is still in the game and now gives MORE bonus xp than before

Charmzzz
06-13-2018, 03:19 PM
oh i see thank you i really didn't post this as a troll thing. I just really didn't understand so basically until you hit that skill level (or whatever) you can't use it? or not as well until you hit that level?

You have to level up a Character first to get higher Gear.

Example:
I have a Rep 50 PK (maximum) who has around 15-20% higher Stats than a Rep 0. The highest Tier of Gear drops when you are around Rep 7-8. You will need at least 20 hours of playtime on that Character to get that high.

I started a new Character 3 days ago, played 13 hours on him and I am Rep 3 - 4 now. He already has blue Gear and purple starts to drop. Blue Gear compared to the highest (it is grey - blue - purple - yellow - greenish) is maybe 10-15% difference. I already kill alot of people with higher Gear now. When I have purple Gear it will be 5-10% to the highest, golden Gear only 3-5% difference.

Gear drops automatically after every Match. You can refine it, but that is only a marginal difference and you will only do it with the highest Gear.

DrinkinMyStella
06-13-2018, 03:21 PM

yeah until you hit rep 3 you wont get anything decent but at rep 7 you have full access to all the best loot so until then buying coins for crates is pointless.

CandleInTheDark
06-13-2018, 03:22 PM

No I get it, pay to win is a touchy subject because that debate has been had. When you level a character they go from level one to twenty, every time you get to twenty the level for that character resets and that character has a reputation point, different gear tiers only come once you have hit the reputation point prerequisite on that character (if you have a rep four valkyrie and a rep 0 peacekeeper, yeah your valk gets purple gear but peacekeeper only grey). Generally most people wouldn't buy gear until they hit rep 7 as it drops after matches and by that time unless you're really doing a hard grind odds are good a couple rounds have passed, at the end of each rounds you get 1-3 scavenger crates and each crate is a free 500 steel gear pack in that video. I have never needed to buy crates even with in game currency to get top tier gear.

Now what you can do is buy gear packs to scrap them and you get salvage to improve the gear you have (but you would want top tier gear before doing that, so again you're not going to get that on day one and by that point you have a good amount of salvage stored unless you have spent it on boosts) or for one time only xp boosts, but you're not going to get much salvage off grey gear and the cost goes up each time you use that boost in a day.

MumfordDaHound
06-13-2018, 03:25 PM
That's a really old video too. Gear score has changed, the actual skills even changed since then, like Def penetration wasn't in the game then. At "high level" the stats mean a little but not much. Once you reach that point you will get a gear close enough that it makes little difference. People make it an excuse by saying its a p2w, honestly. Many many ppl have won with a low geared character over a 180 gear score player. Also, if you are a new player to the game you will be matched up with other new players for the most part. Even if you do get matched up with higher skilled players you will learn a lot, so its not a bad thing all the time. Some players only play duels and might have low rep characters, then they go play in a dominion game and will do really well etc. They might get overwhelmed at first but their 1v1 skills are normally higher.

Charmzzz
06-13-2018, 03:28 PM
That's a really old video too. Gear score has changed, the actual skills even changed since then, like Def penetration wasn't in the game then. At "high level" the stats mean a little but not much. Once you reach that point you will get a gear close enough that it makes little difference. People make it an excuse by saying its a p2w, honestly. Many many ppl have won with a low geared character over a 180 gear score player. Also, if you are a new player to the game you will be matched up with other new players for the most part. Even if you do get matched up with higher skilled players you will learn a lot, so its not a bad thing all the time. Some players only play duels and might have low rep characters, then they go play in a dominion game and will do really well etc. They might get overwhelmed at first but their 1v1 skills are normally higher.

That's what I did the last days. Rep 3 Zerker against full-geared Rep 30+ guys, my K/D is around 1 and my K/D/A around 1,7. Not too bad considering I am learning a new Character and have 15-20% lower Stats. It is more about skill than anything, that's why For Honor got me hooked for over a year now.

WOTH.Lo-fi
06-13-2018, 03:54 PM
Thank you everyone for commenting i understand better now. Sorry it seemed like a troll post XD

SpaceJim12
06-13-2018, 05:12 PM
Yep, no pay to win at all. Even if you could buy new DLC character who probably will be stronger than some old ones, you still can't stand a chance against someone with high skill, whatever hero he use.

Lord_Cherubi
06-13-2018, 05:29 PM
Is for honor still pay to win? I know that like a year ago they were complaining about it being pay to win because you can buy the metal and if you have better weapons and things with the metal you are going to win if you are even close to evenly matched.

In this game real-lifr money gets you nothing but cosmetic items. By leveling up your character you start to get better and better gear as loot but it takes a LONG and i really mean a LONG time to take any effect, i constantly beat people up who has better gear score than me and i know everyone else can do this too.

It's at very high rep (30-50) that you start to notice an actual difference but considering the experience of your opponent it still isn't the gear that beat you.

Alustar.
06-13-2018, 06:36 PM
To piggy back off of some of the comments here, no, this game is not pay to win. No amount of high rep gear is going to suddenly make you better. What the gear does is help you tailor a hero to better fit a play style, or help you fit into a role. If you have limited understanding about your opponents and their kits, the gear is not going to save you.
This isn't like an MMO where you can copy a spec and rotation, then buy a bunch of gear with physical currency and become a top performer. Assuming you dump physical currency to level faster and purchase lot crates for your gear, you are going to be leagues behind the rest of the players at that same rep level in terms of game experience. And because this is real time, action oriented combat the chances of you being a top performer are slim.

bannex19
06-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Can't you guys tell a troll post when you see them?

I swear the internet has had a brain drain.