PDA

View Full Version : So this is what happens when a sim is released unfinished.....!!!

Charlie901
12-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Now that we al paid our hard earned cash for the promises of future flyable Carrier Capable U.S. Torpedo Bombers we get shafted by copyright issues and are stuck with an unfinished game that is non-returnable.

So instead, some other Western Front A/C are getting added for the Russian Version only.

Man this is the last time I ever buy a product based on FUTURE addons to make it complete.

Charlie901
12-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Now that we al paid our hard earned cash for the promises of future flyable Carrier Capable U.S. Torpedo Bombers we get shafted by copyright issues and are stuck with an unfinished game that is non-returnable.

So instead, some other Western Front A/C are getting added for the Russian Version only.

Man this is the last time I ever buy a product based on FUTURE addons to make it complete.

fordfan25
12-17-2004, 11:59 PM
honstly i cant disagree

fordfan25
12-18-2004, 12:00 AM
not that im saying it is or is not anyones fault "a little disclamer of sorts lol"

Ruy Horta
12-18-2004, 03:10 AM
Well some time ago I was critized for saying that you cannot bank on promises. Add ons were NEVER a guarantee...period. Even with the track record of the series, there is never a guarantee.

Some could not see it that way, perhaps now they do.

carguy_
12-18-2004, 03:24 AM
Big deal ,like there was a literal guarantee "IL2 comes with free downloadable addons!"

Which is why I`m happy everytime we get anything more than just bugfixes.

And you shouldn`t direct your wrath to 1C,more like ppl who want their share out of this.

We are a cell of a community and certainly we won`t influence this issue.

So IMO it is best to just wait and see what happens and actually be happy with what we got.

TheGozr
12-18-2004, 04:27 AM
Charlie901 "non-returnable"
That S8ck .. non-returnable I hope it's a Joke. Because if it is not ,you would have to be the joke..

Turk_man
12-18-2004, 07:04 AM
Last product I buy that "will be patched soon". If it has problems out of the box I`ll take a refund. I just want what the box says I get. Now that the Pacific theatre is not going to have the planes I was lead to believe would be there, it`s back to the WF and to hell with the Pacific. Sure won`t buy BOB until I know that everyone has done their homework about copyrights and trademarks etc. Still can`t believe that UBI didn`t see this coming. Did MS get permission to use the 47 in CFS3? Been waiting along time for this patch that may or may not be released soon, probably in two weeks now that American planes have to be removed. I am advising friends not to buy this product til the dust settles. I love this game but the PF release has tainted my feeling abit. Starting to feel more like CFS3 everyday.

Chuck_Older
12-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Hello all

Sometimes when folks get upset about something, it's natural to let their disappointment get the better of them. We tend to jump to conclusions a lot, especially online.

What you don't understand is,

#1 the "patch" is a complete misnomer. It is an update. As sson as an update fixes anything, everyone calls it a 'patch' and it's assumed that it's function is to fix the game, which is not the case.

#2 there were issues that delayed the release of the update. Oleg himself- the guy that owns the company- explained this to us. He's under no obligation to do that

#3 PF itself was too big to put on the number of CD ROMs Ubisoft allowed for the product. Some stuff had to be left off. Theupdate was supposed to rectify this. First, we waited for the worldwide release, and then Oleg had manpower shortages in the form of a sick programmer. Not sick as in "my nose is runny". I've been "sick" to the tune of "you're having an operation tomorrow or you will die. We hear the phrase 'programmer is sick' and we seem to assume that he's got a little head cold.

Then there were issues to be addressed that people found in bugs, and the update got pushed back again

#4 The biggest misunderstanding- Oleg is mad that Ubi put certain things on the box. It was too late to get some of the things that the box says is included editted out of the packaging. there is no false advertising if there was no intent to mislead.

All of the 'this is the last time I do XXXX' stuff is fine and all, but please learn something about what you're mad at before you stalk off in a huff

sapre
12-18-2004, 07:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Turk_man:
Last product I buy that "will be patched soon". If it has problems out of the box I`ll take a refund. I just want what the box says I get. Now that the Pacific theatre is not going to have the planes I was lead to believe would be there, it`s back to the WF and to hell with the Pacific. Sure won`t buy BOB until I know that everyone has done their homework about copyrights and trademarks etc. Still can`t believe that UBI didn`t see this coming. Did MS get permission to use the 47 in CFS3? Been waiting along time for this patch that may or may not be released soon, probably in two weeks now that American planes have to be removed. I am advising friends not to buy this product til the dust settles. I love this game but the PF release has tainted my feeling abit. Starting to feel more like CFS3 everyday. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Last I heard was 1C will not be able to add any craft made by Grumman, Vought and Republic and since Avenger is allready in, it maybe able to add the cockpit.
Futhermore, there is no problem adding kate, Judy, Helldiver and such.
And no one said "Torpedo bombers" is going to be added because of not enough CD.
It was F2A-2 and G4M1.
So stop acting like a panic monger.

Nubarus
12-18-2004, 08:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ruy Horta:
Well some time ago I was critized for saying that you cannot bank on promises. Add ons were NEVER a guarantee...period. Even with the track record of the series, there is never a guarantee.

Some could not see it that way, perhaps now they do. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are also those that don't care about the content of your little rantings around here.

So we got shafted by corporate capitalism and their greed.

Well, better get used to that because it happens every day.

ZG77_Nagual
12-18-2004, 08:18 AM
The simm was complete. More complete than pretty much any other simm I've ever seen. In fact the off-the-shelf-quality of PF certainly equals if not exceeds that of IL2. We will be getting added planes. But it is clear from Oleg's post that UBI is restricting development because addons consume time and are not profitable. Since Ubi is bankrolling this venture - 1c has no choice but to comply and shift the focus of their efforts more to BoB. This no way violates any agreement - expressed or implied - in the marketing of PF - which is a superb off the shelf product. A fact appreciated by anyone who has used any other flight simm ever. Look at CFS or Janes ww2 for example. If you want a simm you can customize and make your own fms for - get cfs if that is the level of your appreciateion you'll be happier. More than half the problem with all this whining is simply the fact that it's possible. If the developers were not so willing to engage in dialogue all the pent up dorks on these BBS would be off venting about their fav fps instead. Sales would remain unaffected simply because the product is fantastic.

Grumman has put a crimp in the addon spectrum as well - which is typical of our culture. If you ask me they should be funding the game instead of quashing it. Cost them less than their ceo spends on lunch in one week to fund 1c for a couple of years.

M.R.Maiornikov
12-18-2004, 08:20 AM
well it has been a while since i last played PF. Now i only play FB+AEP on ubi.com . For me PF is a big dissapointment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

georgeo76
12-18-2004, 08:53 AM
So this is what happens when you give an asshat (http://www.confusednation.com/asshat/) a keyboard and some anonymity.

NorrisMcWhirter
12-18-2004, 09:52 AM
I prefer f*ckwit myself if only because I used to read Viz ("Terry F*ckwit - he's as thick as f*ck") before it was fashionable http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Cheers,
Norris

Zatorski
12-18-2004, 09:55 AM
georgeo76,
Thank you for the link for the term asshat, I always wonderred about that and learned a lot today from your link. I feel confident I can now use the term in a grammatically correct sentence.

ZG77_Nagual
12-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Good point Norris http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

zoomar2
12-18-2004, 11:53 AM
FB was released finished as far as I'm concerned, with a wider variety of planes than any other off-the-shelf Pacific war flightsim - plus great aircraft carrier dynamics. IC Maddox is by far more responsive to requests for add-ons than any other developer but they are under no obligation to provide any updates or patches, and anyone who bought this game with the expectation it would have add-ons is just a foolish crybaby. It's well worth the 39 USD I paid, even if it had half the flyable planes. I too would like an add-on (mostly for ships, Japanese planes, and the Boomerang, not more US types) but if IC Maddox is having some sort of licensing problems with the makers of US aircraft he and we would like to see in this sim its' not his fault. Anyway, combined with FB and AEP you can already fly several models of the P38, P-39, P-40, P-47, P-51, P-63, Wildcat, Hellcat, Corsair, and Buffalo, plus two twin engined US bombers. So what, if a B-239 is not exactly an F2A or you dont have a P-47N, P-51H, or F4U5. If you want to do some torpedo bombing, you can with several types, even if they are not Avengers or B5Ns. Not ideal for sure, but it is just a game, people - and nothing on the box promised flyable B5Ns or TBFs. Il-2T's can stand in quite nicely. Just putyourself in one of these surrounded by AI Kates or Avengers and only the anal compulsive would care. Use your friggin' imaginations people. It sure beats the 6 flyable planes we had in CFS2 and Janes

QUITCHYOUR*****IN

Turk_man
12-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Jesus, I expected this would draw the sheep but man! I doubt anyone even read my post because I did actually say I love the game but think that PF was rushed and would have better served the series by releasing a more polished product. If I was a newcomer to the world of IL2, and I bought this game and didn`t know about this site, I would be disappointed. AI the flies into the hills etc. How does this help 1C? Remember this was supposed to be a good seller in the US, which much to the dismay of Europeans there is a huge market. When the reviews widely say that it has great potential but needs to be finished some flight-sim fans get nervous(remember CFS3). I thought that this game was going to be great and in the state it came out of the box I was disapointed. I know that Oleg doesn`t have to patch/update it at all and in the same token I don`t have to buy his product either. I like this game and think it`s the best sim going but **** if you guys think that it came finished then baaaa, your just a bunch of sheep willing to close your eyes to all but the good. Flame away, I`ll still fly just not in the Pacific, as I ended my last post "Back to the western front"

BaldieJr
12-18-2004, 12:23 PM
A prefectly playable game released before christmas = money.

A flawless game released after christmas = no money.

So maybe the term "sheep" isn't necessary in this discussion.

Turk_man
12-18-2004, 12:58 PM
This game was released in October when maybe holding off till the start of december would have provided the programers the time to test it properly and release a great product. Instead they released something that got negative reviews, what a great way to increase sales!