PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey shields

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

r0bb1e34
06-12-2018, 03:58 AM
This is really bugging me. I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan and I've played all of them except the chronicle games. Loved origins and I love what it looks like Odyssey is trying to be but with all this talk of choice and historical accuracy why are we playing as a Spartan that doesn't even have the option of using a shield. Am I the only one this is messing with??

Prkl8r
06-12-2018, 06:03 AM
I only got into Origin because I love Weapon/Shield fighting in games, and generally, having played other AC games, I never cared much for the combat. But Origins I loved BECAUSE it had shields.

So naturally when I heard that the next game would be set in Ancient Greece, where Weapon/Shield was basically the only way to fight, I thought shields were a given. I mean why would they give up that famous Spartan Iconography of the Hoplon.

They apparently did this because they though the shield promoted passive combat, because why would they let players decide how they want to play the game? I LIKE to play defensively, I don't like just dodging around and parrying. I LIKE being the slow methodical tank. Apparently, Origins was a fluke, and people like me aren't supposed to play AC games.

...I was ready to preorder the Ultimate Edition until I found out shields are out. I don't even know if I want the game anymore.

TheGeekAssassin
06-12-2018, 09:01 AM
I feel like the lack of a shield for the main character is a major oversight. It seems we9rs that the game is based around what was established for mechanics in Origins, yet they remove somethin that is integral to Spartans and Greeks in general. I hope that there is some way to use a shield in this game but I am not going to hold my breath.

Vemand
06-12-2018, 09:43 AM
I only got into Origin because I love Weapon/Shield fighting in games, and generally, having played other AC games, I never cared much for the combat. But Origins I loved BECAUSE it had shields.

So naturally when I heard that the next game would be set in Ancient Greece, where Weapon/Shield was basically the only way to fight, I thought shields were a given. I mean why would they give up that famous Spartan Iconography of the Hoplon.

They apparently did this because they though the shield promoted passive combat, because why would they let players decide how they want to play the game? I LIKE to play defensively, I don't like just dodging around and parrying. I LIKE being the slow methodical tank. Apparently, Origins was a fluke, and people like me aren't supposed to play AC games.

...I was ready to preorder the Ultimate Edition until I found out shields are out. I don't even know if I want the game anymore.

I agree with you, but the statement they put like shields promotes passive combat is just wrong. Look how God of War made shield combat awesome and brutal. Atleast they could give us the option to use shields or not.

Not including shields for the player in a game that is set in a time where shields where so central for warfare is a BIG mistake.

quanzaizai
06-12-2018, 10:01 AM
I still wondering how they handle block system since the LB is changed to skill select button (in ACO LB is guard stand), some people cant time the parry right and it would be ridiculous if they have to jumping round all the time. I see that only when you locked on the target you can go backward

DryYourFursuit
06-12-2018, 11:58 AM
I used the block stance for positioning and easy parries in Origins because I disliked the lock- on a lot. It would be a shame if they deprived their players of that choice. Who's with me?

AstroCat
06-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Yeah if there is no shield for real in Odyssey that would be a bummer, it's so intrinsic to Ancient Greek warfare.

Harristocles
06-12-2018, 01:17 PM
There really needs to be player shields.

"Come back with your shield, or on it."

quanzaizai
06-12-2018, 01:42 PM
i don't think they gonna put shield in the game if they didnt plan to do it in the first place because its gonna cost alot of works to be done. ex: shield animation, shield design, perk balance, intergrated HUD/menu. I also hate lock on when fighting multiple enemies, guest that jumping all over the place its the only option now... sad

cawatrooper9
06-12-2018, 03:12 PM
It looks like maybe shields are usable in combat, but are not part of inventory.

Maybe something like heavy weapons in ACII, or rifles in ACIII.

https://youtu.be/6vQhjAgZI04

Prkl8r
06-12-2018, 03:23 PM
It looks like maybe shields are usable in combat, but are not part of inventory.

Maybe something like heavy weapons in ACII, or rifles in ACIII.

https://youtu.be/6vQhjAgZI04

This is a worst case scenario based on that game play video. The combat is just spamming special abilities and getting the same animation over and over in between jumping around like an acrobat.

I hate that type of combat. I loved the more methodical combat of ACO with blocking and the ability to play more reactive.

My hype has gone from near max to flat-lined. Feels bad.

r0bb1e34
06-12-2018, 04:46 PM
I still wondering how they handle block system since the LB is changed to skill select button (in ACO LB is guard stand), some people cant time the parry right and it would be ridiculous if they have to jumping round all the time. I see that only when you locked on the target you can go backward

It appears that the broken spear is acting as ur hidden blade and you will use it to parry in place of blocking with a shield.

Prkl8r
06-12-2018, 09:53 PM
That's Odd, if I'm not logged in I can't see my own posts. Seems really fishy.

datAssassin2018
06-12-2018, 10:22 PM
Please Ubisoft give us the option to use shields in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.The shield was the most important weapon of an ancient greek warrior.It is illogical that we can't fight like a hoplite with a spear and a shield.Maybe you can use enemy animations to implement this.:(

TheGeekAssassin
06-13-2018, 02:26 AM
According to this video https://youtu.be/qJ-BXQVt7KM about the game. Shields will be in the game as an unlockable under the warrior skill set. Let's hope this is indeed the truth.

Suurbier91
06-13-2018, 07:48 PM
They should make it possible to equip a shield anyway and let the spear of Leonidas hang from your belt so you'll use a shield instead of the spear while still having the abilities the spear gives you. I really want a shield in this game. In Origins it was nice to have it but not necessary. This game however needs it because you're a Greek Hoplite mercenary!

Grayfox-87-
06-13-2018, 08:57 PM
Hmm... a Spartan without a Shield sounds weird, also a Spartan without Beard sounds weird 😥

I don't think they will implant that, that means a completly change for Gameplay!

Ps..: one more thing - I thought they remove the shield because some of this Kids here and on reddit Critism the Shield in Origins, and that's the result we are now got!!!

Eagle-Bearer
06-13-2018, 11:33 PM
Passive combat is not a problem because in Odyssey they are no health regeneration with time. The only way to get health back is by using the adrenaline bar for the ability. But this bar can only fill if you fight actively so removing the shield is a non-sense

Eagle-Bearer
06-13-2018, 11:37 PM
And how to block arrows without shield. If we can't own a shield, I want at least the ability to pick up shields on the ground.

MStrat87
06-14-2018, 01:45 AM
Honestly can’t believe what a truly ill thought through decision this is. Listening to Marc-Alexis Cote (the Producer) say “we’re trying to bring it (combat) to the next level, so what we’ve done is removed the shield to try and make the combat more dynamic, to remove this kind of turtling and have the player move around more and be on the offensive.”
I mean, what!? They’ve added choices to the game and yet dictated to the player how you’re going to fight. Maybe I like to play defensive at times, I’m a one man/woman vagabond taking on small armies......without a shield. No no, it’s cool, I’ll just dodge instead. Really? Socrates would rightly call me a fool. Even Achilles, who thought himself invincible, brought a shield. Why wouldn’t I? To make my fighting more dynamic? This just seems like a lazy game ‘mechanic’ to ensure mindless action and gung-ho ‘tactics’ over more sophisticated and considered ones. Fighting archers is going to be laughable. Watching some of the bigger battles you can see you’re just out of place without it, your men bring a shield to a large battle, but their leader left it at home? You take a shield off people but don’t think “hey, THAT would be handy?” Or “I wonder if other people like that Bayek guy a hundred years ago or whatever had a shield”, oh wait, he did.
Lastly, it just seems stupid to research cultures and long lost civilisations to then ignore the staples of them. The Greeks used shields heavily Ubisoft.
Apparently there’s not even a hidden blade!? This franchise is sacrificing its roots to become a generic period RPG.

thiagorave
06-14-2018, 04:06 AM
I was hyped about this game but after found out about no shields, not anymore :(

big mistake

Wombles-_-
06-14-2018, 08:39 AM
At first when I found out that I was a Spartan warrior with no shield, it was a good god who thought this was good. Then I have too think back too when news of Assassins creed Origins combat came out, I didn't think I would like that. Now I wouldn't want too go back to the one button win combo, so i'll wait and see how it play's out hopefully I will like it. Still doesn't seem right though.

I suppose the best option would be an option to have a shield or not.

quanzaizai
06-14-2018, 09:19 AM
well I guess ubi made a stupid decision this time haha by forcing people to play their way when they said giving them freedom lol. well in ACO I barely use shield to block mostly use it for the animation and parry and shield bas but I have to say what if I want to play defensive?? that's my tactic and I find fun while play that way??.

jgrunes
06-14-2018, 12:54 PM
This is really bugging me. I'm a huge Assassin's Creed fan and I've played all of them except the chronicle games. Loved origins and I love what it looks like Odyssey is trying to be but with all this talk of choice and historical accuracy why are we playing as a Spartan that doesn't even have the option of using a shield. Am I the only one this is messing with??

Totally agreed! This is my only problem with what we have seen of the game so far. If you have time and want to maybe see them change it or add it maybe in dlc, sign this petition! Who knows right? 🙏
https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-bring-back-the-shield-for-assassins-creed-odyssey-2a473dd2-8a36-4944-b5ad-92c946c0611f?recruiter=881788103&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial

jgrunes
06-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Agreed! Maybe if we get some momentum, we can convince ubi to add a basic shield option, perhaps in dlc? Sign this petition: https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-bring-back-the-shield-for-assassins-creed-odyssey-2a473dd2-8a36-4944-b5ad-92c946c0611f?recruiter=881788103&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial
Who knows right? ;) 🙏

Ps. I'm pretty confident there are no shields. Ubi have said as much, and the only sign of shield skills is the shield grab ability.

LxrdXfTheDead
06-14-2018, 06:42 PM
Let's give it a shot! I hope so.

LxrdXfTheDead
06-14-2018, 06:44 PM
Signed, I hope they can at least implement it later or something.

Ghost416
06-14-2018, 10:25 PM
Shield combat gameplay can be just as "dynamic" as non-shield. Just look at God of War. If you try so-called "passive defense" even on the easiest difficulty, you're almost certain to die. The historical importance of the shield in Greek warrior culture of the time should trump all of that, anyway, IMO. The shield to a Greek hoplite is of no less importance than the M16A4 of a modern US Marine.

Eagle-Bearer
06-14-2018, 11:25 PM
Signed

Prkl8r
06-15-2018, 12:40 AM
According to this video https://youtu.be/qJ-BXQVt7KM about the game. Shields will be in the game as an unlockable under the warrior skill set. Let's hope this is indeed the truth.

No, he just says shield abilities....He actually means the ability to strip enemies shields, not to use them.

If the player could use a shield, we would have seen it by now.

Also there was that interview where the Dev said they don't allow the player to use shields.

GrecoAvatar
06-15-2018, 06:04 AM
Huge fan of the Assassins Creed games. I was ultra satisfied with Origins especially since they had chosen a time in Ancient Egypt where the Greeks had a strong influence. That being said, as a Greek myself , I hoped that Ubisoft would make AC based around Greece. My wish came true but like Greek mythology all good things end with tragedy....

WHO THOUGH IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO SCRAP SHIELDS? A SPARTAN WITH NO SHIELD? REALLY?

Give me a shield and a spear and I will be the happiest Greek you would know. But to remove such an iconic/symbolic piece of Greek hardware from the battlefield or combat in general is a TRAGEDY!

STUPID DECISION.

Why are games trading in historical accuracy? Battlefield V is in hot waters for this, would you want to follow suit?

It might be too late to add a shield for the main character but please update the fighting system through a DLC make the announcement of this inclusion and fix this nonsense.

You have offended a lot of gamers with this BS. It is every guys wet dream to stand should to shoulder in a phalanx with shields overlapping protecting the man to your left as you push and thrust your dori to victory.

NO PREORDER
NO GAME PURCHASE
UNTIL AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT TO INCLUDE THE SHIELD.

Will be preparing a petition and work on YouTube videos to escalate this. This post will be cross pasted through different forums.

UBISOFT WE TRUST YOU.

GrecoAvatar
06-15-2018, 06:13 AM
No shields in odyssey?
Huge fan of the Assassins Creed games. I was ultra satisfied with Origins especially since they had chosen a time in Ancient Egypt where the Greeks had a strong influence. That being said, as a Greek myself , I hoped that Ubisoft would make AC based around Greece. My wish came true but like Greek mythology all good things end with tragedy....

WHO THOUGH IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO SCRAP SHIELDS? A SPARTAN WITH NO SHIELD? REALLY?

Give me a shield and a spear and I will be the happiest Greek you would know. But to remove such an iconic/symbolic piece of Greek hardware from the battlefield or combat in general is a TRAGEDY!

STUPID DECISION.

Why are games trading in historical accuracy? Battlefield V is in hot waters for this, would you want to follow suit?

It might be too late to add a shield for the main character but please update the fighting system through a DLC make the announcement of this inclusion and fix this nonsense.

You have offended a lot of gamers with this BS. It is every guys wet dream to stand should to shoulder in a phalanx with shields overlapping protecting the man to your left as you push and thrust your dori to victory.

NO PREORDER
NO GAME PURCHASE
UNTIL AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT TO INCLUDE THE SHIELD.

Will be preparing a petition and work on YouTube videos to escalate this. This post will be cross pasted through different forums.

UBISOFT WE TRUST YOU.

Wheaver
06-15-2018, 10:31 AM
Ancient Greece?Spartans?No shield?Come on Ubi don't be silly...I hope you will introduce it...otherwise how can I make my way back home to Sparta without a shield?! :D

Chill187
06-15-2018, 11:46 AM
No shields, really? Pls put in the shiels and I will instand preorder, but without shields i feels wrong. I hope for dls ...

silvermercy
06-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Shields are intrinsic part of the whole Spartan experience. There's even a famous Spartan quote that Spartan mothers said to their sons "Come back with your shield, or on it". Spartan moms apparently would kill (https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2121/did-spartan-mothers-really-tell-their-sons-with-your-shield-or-on-it/) their sons if they considered them cowards. I hope there's an option to include shields. At least in the DLC.

ArchangelJ97
06-15-2018, 12:40 PM
I do hope that there's the option of having a shield, because Spartans are supposed to have a shield, or die if they don't, plus, parrying/crushing enemies with shields are quite fun in a sense. However, since the protagonist's Spartan identity is taken away after the protagonist's "death", and the protagonist is now a mercenary, not really a Spartan, so the protagonist isn't locked into the Spartan customs in this regard. Also, Origin's small shield is OK to get around with while trying to be stealthy, but the torso-sized Hoplon? There's literally no way of being stealthy when you're getting around with those huge shields lol. However, it should still be optional for the players to choose to use the shield or not, but in this case, for balancing issues, they'll have to add in another item slot for assassins and ranged-players, to compensate for the optional shield of the warrior's path. That, I think, is the reason why they didn't put in shield as a whole, because they'll need to make a total of three more item systems, along with the perks, looks, description, models, animations, and etc (though I think they don't have to worry too much about shields' animation or whatnot since the NPCs already have shields to begin with).

LxrdXfTheDead
06-15-2018, 02:55 PM
With that logic, then they shouldn't really wear those helmets becausse they are too revealing and too big and bulky, they shouldn't wear high contrast colors to begin with because it is considered too revealing as well and should just travel like a simple wanderer that changes clothes like in Hit Man depending on where he is if he is an Assassin.

We need ot accept that AC isn't AC anymore and that it is a brand that is used to produce games based around the AC lore so put up the shields, and let us enjoy the game a lot more, damn.

io.Hellenic
06-15-2018, 07:57 PM
if in origins we get the shield we will have on odyssey its impossible to see a greek without shield :)

The hoplite styles mercenaries or not is simple spear shield !!!!

i cant imagine play a greek without shield they dont fight like a gladiator

spartan or other greek are proud from their shield that herritage from their parent or grand father

Ubisoft please said to me you troll and you will realise people want shield ! ! dont force people to play the style what you want to play let people make their game and item and styles of figh and i can buy the ultimate edition and have a The Leonidas Shield

I hope they hear their community <3

Chill187
06-15-2018, 10:01 PM
is there any statement from ubisoft about this topic?

@King_io
Leonidas Shield would be great!!!

Wheaver
06-15-2018, 10:15 PM
@Chill187...All Leonida set would be great...but the Shield above all...no doubt about it...

Astrodiuz
06-17-2018, 04:55 AM
Spatan warrior no shield to use was sick

io.Hellenic
06-17-2018, 10:41 AM
some one make a pettition for the shield ????? because they said you can make your choice of word but not in fight so they lie !!!!!

come on do somethink people we want shield back like origins a small shield or i dont know !

i cannnot imagine this is the second assasincreed after that, we go to rome and they will said

Thats bad idea to remove the shield of oddyssey now lets shield back :)

NO NO NO NO

Shield option for want want play with this you have the power you are people your voice is needed make a petition dont buy any game

LETS PEOPLE CHOICE HOW THEY WANT TO PLAY STOP FORCE PEOPLE !

io.Hellenic
06-17-2018, 04:18 PM
hello all assassin's today im bless realy bless to see we have no shield !!!!

im here to talking with you and what did you think ?

if you dont play shield i can understand but did you think about who play with shield ? ?

why remove somethink beautifull ! they said you can choice what word you can said so many option !

you can have a love story with man or woman did we realy need this ? for me no but other people love thats so i understand

but you are in time when shield is precious because the shield from greece is heritage from grand father, father ect ect

greek are proud of the shield greek cant fight whithout this because SPARTA and other city or kingdom know how strong is this

my question is why you said you can write your odyssey but we cant choice us stuff ??????

dont force me or other people to play how you want play if you want double sword its your choice do it but let me my small shield with THE LACONIC LAMBDA

Ubisoft im a big lover of your game i hope you understand what i want mean God Bless in the Shield

soren92
06-18-2018, 11:11 AM
Ubisoft made a big mistake not adding a shield option, at least for those who want to play in a certain fighting style, it really make no sense making a game were there are options to choose and then the most important defense system in ancient war combant, and im not talking about only, for greece but for all the ancient time it can't be used, even the NPC's are using one!!!! it is really dissapointing and in my opinion it's seem like a lazy choice , justified with " we want to remove passive combat " if the meaning was removing passive combat add mechanics were you can hit enemies with a shield, And for last it's was very silly to watch naval combat system and when the you defense from enemy arrows character bend him self under the wooden parapet of the ship insted of using the shield he as next to him, It was so silly to watch!

Wombles-_-
06-18-2018, 11:22 AM
No shield for a Spartan warrior it's as silly as not being able to pick up unconscious bodies in Origins. Though to be honest I didn't think I would like using a shield in Origins, now I dread to think what the game will be like without it. Who knows it might play out all right and I might enjoy no shield if I buy it.

soren92
06-18-2018, 11:23 AM
Ubisoft made a big mistake not adding a shield option, at least for those who want to play in a certain fighting style, it really make no sense making a game were there are options to choose and then the most important defense system in ancient war combant, and im not talking about only, for greece but for all the ancient time, it can't be used, even the NPC's are using one!!!! it is really dissapointing and in my opinion it's seem like a lazy choice , justified with " we want to remove passive combat " if the meaning was removing passive combat add mechanics were you can hit enemies with a shield, And for last it's was very silly to watch naval combat system and when the you defense from enemy arrows character bend him self under the wooden parapet of the ship insted of using the shield he as next to him, It was so silly to watch! Im sorry for saying so but if the final product will be this, it will feel like a half unfinished game, and this is a fan opinion

soren92
06-18-2018, 11:25 AM
"when you defense from enemy arrows" sorry for text errors*

io.Hellenic
06-18-2018, 03:29 PM
yeah its amazing to be true we have so many way to do somethink but maybe if we can make a petition its the only way to win somethink a small shield just maybe this i will be happy for the rest of the game

io.Hellenic
06-18-2018, 03:35 PM
the problem is this they want to see reaction of people if they go in the good way but why they dont ask their community if they go in the good direction or not ????

who make this decisition can him explain me why this choice ? wtf is wrong !

can some ubisoft staff can come and talk to said somethink about thats i dont want buy this game without shield no way they make somethink good in origins verry good !

and now we can have the SHIP and they remove the Shield .

they make a big good rpg game but force people to do their way is verry bad why dont ask ? why dont think about people love shield idea

some people make a petition allready or nothink ?

ProdiGurl
06-18-2018, 03:40 PM
No shield for a Spartan warrior it's as silly as not being able to pick up unconscious bodies in Origins. Though to be honest I didn't think I would like using a shield in Origins, now I dread to think what the game will be like without it. Who knows it might play out all right and I might enjoy no shield if I buy it.
I saw a whole lot of complaints & whining on FB & even here about having to use shields. Also hating on the appearance of them including how silly Bayek looked walking around with it on his back... how the one they were using was too big, too little,....
If that was any majority, Devs were probly just trying to appease fans by leaving them out & not having to deal with it. But I'd agree they should be in this game specifically just to be true to the history of it.

& this goes back to Ubi being damned no matter what decisions they make in anything. People hated shields before, now they want them......... ???

Vorinusrome
06-18-2018, 04:09 PM
i can't really express how sad im about this new. i came to origins because this shield/hand play style. it botther me a little that shields in Origins was too small, like bucket, bu at least we had them.

the sad thing is: a spartan without a shield? thats even makes sense?

please ubisot, bring they back .

Vorinusrome
06-18-2018, 04:33 PM
it's so intrinsic to Ancient Greek warfare.

There really needs to be player shields.

"Come back with your shield, or on it."

People are already complaining about this game having no hidden blade and does not look like AC, now I fear they just annoyed the other part of the fans who were hoping to play like a real Spartan with shield and sword

Wheaver
06-18-2018, 04:43 PM
@io.spartan...https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-bring-back-the-shield-for-assassins-creed-odyssey-2a473dd2-8a36-4944-b5ad-92c946c0611f?recruiter=881788103&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial

ProdiGurl
06-18-2018, 05:03 PM
People are already complaining about this game having no hidden blade and does not look like AC, now I fear they just annoyed the other part of the fans who were hoping to play like a real Spartan with shield and sword
Ya, this is what they get for listening to a large group of fans hating on Shields in Origins & complaining about aesthetics; they're too big, too small, too bulky, don't like how it glows, don't like it on his back, wanting to unequip it............
Now more people seem to want it included due to history. Which way is Ubi to go to please everyone?
I was good w/ shields in origins, I just had to do some practice to use them correctly. I kinda hope they can put them in becuz shields were a key element in Spartan battle (why King Leonidas in 300 wouldn't allow that disabled dude to fight w/ them. Due to his physical condition, he couldn't lift the shield high enough to protect anyone & chances are couldn't even hold it up long enough on the Battle field.).
But it's an awfully big issue to add this late in production since it affects the combat system so heavily.

io.Hellenic
06-18-2018, 06:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3trMDuL56M 2.09min Raise your Shield

i understand what you want to mean so many people said this or this or thats ! but remember so many people dont talk or ask somethink because they love what they have
im really feel bad man about the shield .

when i see in origins a small shield i feel a good think but look my deception if any one said to me this game is bad its because somethink miss or other but they make a good new rpg on this

a new gameplay a new story for the assassin and now we have 2handed wood one bow and one sword with spear and me without my hope for the shield !

the next game will be in rome everybody know thats and in this game they will include the shield but in this game nothing will happens if no one do somethink

Us voice can change the world US VOICE can change the Futur its a simple ask im not alone

and for people think the shield is none importance i want to said to you did you have what you want ? after 1years for the game nothink miss for you ??? think about thats think about people help people

Sign with us https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-bri..._share_initial Help us for the Phalanx Remember on assassin when connor miss somethink whats happening? people Roar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-6M5***AoE&t=23s 3.34min

N7nuke
06-18-2018, 06:19 PM
I see myself as a history nerd. This has been the one thing that made me love the AC games. When I saw that AC Odyssey was playing in the ancient Greek era, I was so hypped.

We will play in a fantastic world set in the ancient Greek era, on land, sail among the beautiful islands, fight in battle and explore, SO HYPPED!

We will travel through this world as a relative of Leonidas himself. TAKE MY MONEY!

But why should a relative of the well-known Leonidas (even at that time) not use a shield, when the shield of this era was soooooooo important?

I think we, as a fan of the AC Games and Historians, together let us be heard. We ask that they put a shield for us to use in this amazing game. and let's get Assassin Creed Odyssey the way we want, whether to sneak around in the bushes, shoot with a bow or let us feel like a reborn Leonidas, shield and spear.

Share this please.
Let's be heard, let's be seen.

Black_Widow9
06-18-2018, 11:02 PM
This is definitely a common request and while we can't make any promises, we will be sharing your feedback.

Thanks ;)

quanzaizai
06-18-2018, 11:04 PM
Ya, this is what they get for listening to a large group of fans hating on Shields in Origins & complaining about aesthetics; they're too big, too small, too bulky, don't like how it glows, don't like it on his back, wanting to unequip it............
Now more people seem to want it included due to history. Which way is Ubi to go to please everyone?
I was good w/ shields in origins, I just had to do some practice to use them correctly. I kinda hope they can put them in becuz shields were a key element in Spartan battle (why King Leonidas in 300 wouldn't allow that disabled dude to fight w/ them. Due to his physical condition, he couldn't lift the shield high enough to protect anyone & chances are couldn't even hold it up long enough on the Battle field.).
But it's an awfully big issue to add this late in production since it affects the combat system so heavily.

there is an option for ubisoft to please everyone. Do both shield and no shield lol :) they already did both which is not taking time to develop the system anymore, but they only chose to have one. That's the biggest problem of ubisoft, they always have nice idea but never want to reach the full potential of the idea. maybe because annual release? or they just save it for the next title and let people buy it? or they don't care about fan? or just they being stupid?

TheGeekAssassin
06-19-2018, 03:14 AM
I know that most games have not had shields. It is only Origins that had Shields in the game but This seems like a perfect era to be using shields. The excuse to remove them has been that it makes the combat too passive. I think the combat has been nothing but passive prior to Assassin's Creed Origins. Having a shield doesn't equate passive combat. Games like Ryse son of Rome had shields and the combat was anything but passive. The shield was used as an extra weapon. I think something that would be nice is an unlockable skill that allows us to use the shield. Not just for blocking but for smashing, bashing and crushing.

One video I watched and responded to said that shields would be usable. I asked if this was true and was affirmed by the youtuber that they were in. Subsequent videos by the likes of jorraptor and ubicentral among others have refuted that claim and even proven it based on their playthrough at e3. No I know that an e3 build isn't complete. There still may be some changes that we see come the final game. I know there isn't much time until release but it could even come in as a post launch update. Having the option to use shields would be appreciated. That said, I am sure the game will be fantastic even without them.

Hermano_Jefe
06-19-2018, 03:22 AM
Just add the shields with the swords and spears (and possibly spear of Leonidas i guess). That's all i care about. Maces, dual blades and large axes can remain two handed without a shield.

Hermano_Jefe
06-19-2018, 03:33 AM
Plus, how would you expect us to fight Medusa and the Minotaur without a shield? Also, for naval combat and regular combat when we get bombarded with a volley of arrows, what then? Come on... Just bring back shields please.

LxrdXfTheDead
06-19-2018, 10:45 PM
Oh my god please, please, please
I will do anything

datAssassin2018
06-20-2018, 12:12 AM
Please Ubisoft give us the option to fight as a hoplite with a shield in the left hand and a spear(or sword) in the right.You can disable the spear of Leonidas when we carry a shield similar to how we can't use it when we wield a mace with both hands.How are we going to block arrows without a shield?Give us the ability to fight both offensively and defensively if the situation demands it.The shield could dissapear when we unequip it from the weapon menu.Please Ubisoft add this small but very important detail for this time period.

Kiroku
06-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Damn when watching the second movie 300: Rise of an Empire when they were fighting at the beach of marathon.. the shield fights are sick..

I really really hope that maybe we WILL be able to wear and use a shield with great combos too.. This is actually a must have in such a game and my only whish beside good MD for odyssey.

io.Hellenic
06-20-2018, 07:26 PM
its big hope for every one ! a Shield For a Man want fight like a brave warrior, a new style from origins as begin and its maybe fallen down on this odyssey

ubisoft please we dont want statue, we dont want to be glorify,

we dont want be forgive For the sield a simple request not a order just a pleasure and a love for everytime <3

thiagorave
06-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Can we have the spartan style outfit from odyssey in origins so we can play with shield? :)

James-0345
06-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Please add shields. It's good to have the choice to use them (evidently their quite popular :) )
Looking at the gameplay clips there is now a ridiculous amount of dodging and running away going on all for the sake of the absence of the player's shield.

Also perhaps consider making the kick less powerful? This and the dual wield has a very kung fu feel to it better suited to a game about ancient China.

Eagle-Bearer
06-20-2018, 09:48 PM
Totally agree ! For me who is fan of parring with an shield to not have to do dodge thousands times. The absence of shields are for me like the spear of Leonidas in the throat.

Why not at least give us an option to pick up enemy shields on the ground or in a weapon rack like we can pick a spear (javelin) in those racks.
Why not making a health score for the shield when the enemy have dealt this amount of damage on your shield it will broke up and you will have to find another shield to pick.

quanzaizai
06-20-2018, 10:40 PM
Totally agree ! For me who is fan of parring with an shield to not have to do dodge thousands times. The absence of shields are for me like the spear of Leonidas in the throat.

Why not at least give us an option to pick up enemy shields on the ground or in a weapon rack like we can pick a spear (javelin) in those racks.
Why not making a health score for the shield when the enemy have dealt this amount of damage on your shield it will broke up and you will have to find another shield to pick.
Yeah man forcing people to dodge is the most stupid decision. I mean noone in entire gaming industry want to dodge all the time.

Cambyses333
06-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Perhaps this instalment is going in for a twist, instead of playing as a hero you play a coward. :)
After all without a shield all you can do is duck, dive, run and cower.

Tip: Avoid Sparta, a Spartan minus his shield's name is mud there.
A Spartan's honour is inseparably tied to his shield without it he's a joke;
he is visibly the one who ran away..

MnemonicSyntax
06-21-2018, 04:38 PM
So I get the reasoning behind wanting shields for defensive purposes.

But some of this is incorrect information. All this talk about honor and the shield doesn't matter because our heroes are ex-Spartans.

Secondly, you can block with your weapons. It's not the best, sure, but this whole "cowardly rolling around to avoid attacks all the time" isn't a thing either.

Just trying to clear up any information. I'm all for requesting a shield, but request it because you want it, not because it's somehow "accurate" in a game where you can use a giant frisbee, or a magical artifact that grants you superhuman abilities.

io.Hellenic
06-21-2018, 05:02 PM
@Cambyses333 AHAHA nice joke bro let me joke too !

so if you gonna fight in this time you will go with 2sword and fight 5vs1 ok man im sure in REAL LIFE you are the cowad for cry for the fight and cry again for leave the fight !

you love my joke too ? :p hahahaha

no seriously if they add shield you have no obligation to play with this ? so whats matter for you ??? what did you search ? fight like how you want

because i want to fight how i want and properly with reflection Shield its def for you ? i will try to dont die in this game and you ?

we just want have shield and spear and maybe sword how you feel

TheGeekAssassin
06-21-2018, 06:43 PM
The guys at Ubisoft really should take a look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJW0tROvzNc&feature=youtu.be

OxIdOAC
06-21-2018, 07:41 PM
I'm fine without shield. I played ACO about 300+ hours with three full walkthroughs, and i don't think i ever used shield for blocking except when quest forces me to use melee weapon, which is rare. I mainly use bow, poison darts or hidden blade... But those Spartan shields do look awesome...

TheGeekAssassin
06-21-2018, 08:58 PM
Jonathan Dumont Just gave this answer in response to if Shields would be In when asked by joostcr on reddit.

Yes, Spartans did use shields, but our Hero is a mercenary, not a Spartan soldier. Our gameplay is much more versatile than that of Origins and a shield was not suited to it, so we replaced shields with dodging, rolling and parrying mechanics. The parry mechanics gives a bit more of feel of old school AC Fight of counter attack, while still retaining fight mechanics of Origins. I can't speak for the future of the franchise for social stealth and parkour.

Frag_Maniac
06-21-2018, 09:37 PM
Jonathan Dumont Just gave this answer in response to if Shields would be In when asked by joostcr on reddit.

Yes, Spartans did use shields, but our Hero is a mercenary, not a Spartan soldier. Our gameplay is much more versatile than that of Origins and a shield was not suited to it, so we replaced shields with dodging, rolling and parrying mechanics. The parry mechanics gives a bit more of feel of old school AC Fight of counter attack, while still retaining fight mechanics of Origins. I can't speak for the future of the franchise for social stealth and parkour.

And it's totally disingenuous to use the excuse he's a merc not a Spartan soldier when they have him dressing like a Spartan, using combat moves of a Spartan, and carrying Leonidas' Spartan spear, which they even forced us to use vs hidden blade. They made it sound like they replaced shields with dodge, roll, and parry, but Origins had dodge and parry, so they really only added rolling, and it's too arcade. There's not much realism or immersion to this fighting style.

TheGeekAssassin
06-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Yeah I am not thrilled with the answer either. Once again seems like a cop out. I hope that the dodge, roll, parry system is closer to the Batman/widdle earth games. But they could have done something similar and included a shield.

Frag_Maniac
06-21-2018, 09:54 PM
Yeah I am not thrilled with the answer either. Once again seems like a cop out. I hope that the dodge, roll, parry system is closer to the Batman/widdle earth games. But they could have done something similar and included a shield.

I would be OK if the Roll move they're adding was an Ability which if you unlocked, replaced use of shields. He did say in one answer you can select your level of realism in combat by not unlocking certain over the top moves, but they are totally ignoring that concept by forcing us to use acrobatic moves instead of a shield, and an artifact spear tip with special powers instead of a dagger. Just those two things alone detract too much from the realism IMO.

ProdiGurl
06-21-2018, 10:16 PM
Alot of gameplay I've seen has us holding the broken spear plus another weapon - & from what I've seen of combat, the enemies we're fighting have shields & it's not real simple to just break their shield defense.
I think we might be doing alot of dodging & parrying before breaking their defense. I'm fine either way, one less set of commands w/ a shield to have to work with & more focus on getting their defenses down to get in & take them out.

Frag_Maniac
06-21-2018, 10:38 PM
Alot of gameplay I've seen has us holding the broken spear plus another weapon - & from what I've seen of combat, the enemies we're fighting have shields & it's not real simple to just break their shield defense.
I think we might be doing alot of dodging & parrying before breaking their defense. I'm fine either way, one less set of commands w/ a shield to have to work with & more focus on getting their defenses down to get in & take them out.

I don't think you get the point. The point is the special spear tip and roll move force unrealistic style of combat. Dumont claimed the level of combat realism can be customized by not unlocking over the top moves. Roll should be an over the top ability that replaces use of shields. Leonidas spear should be an over the top ability that replaces dagger. Otherwise they're not adhering to their promise of offering realistic combat.

TheGeekAssassin
06-22-2018, 08:25 PM
What a joke. Jonathan Dumont said yesterday there will be no shields because we are a mercenary, not a Spartan. He really needs to have a chat with the Marketing team cause marketing talks about being a spartan warrior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycdNGfs6bko

IarcusBohemicus
06-22-2018, 09:22 PM
we want shield !!!

Eagle-Bearer
06-22-2018, 10:12 PM
Why is there a spartan shield on the Alexios statue in Spartan Edition if they are no shields on the game ?
https://store.ubi.com/dw/image/v2/ABBS_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog/default/dw58f1534a/images/large/5afda8aa6b54a4271407a88d-7.jpg?sw=783&sh=440&sm=fit

TheGeekAssassin
06-22-2018, 10:51 PM
It's funny. there is the same shield in a couple of the statues.

Frag_Maniac
06-22-2018, 11:35 PM
Glad I'm not the only one here seeing what a bunch of BS the marketing for this game is. There's a lot of contradictions to what they are saying will actually BE in the game. The generally accepted way of describing such practices is Bait and Switch. If they're going to the extent of pocketing money off action figures that show a Spartan shield, and showing clips of Alexios using one, and calling him a Spartan Warrior, it's obviously false advertising to not have the shield in the game. At this point I have to wonder if they'll be sued over it.

quanzaizai
06-23-2018, 12:16 AM
I think there will be shield in certain type of mission such as the shield wall scene in the trailer.
As for the director talking about the realistic combat: there is no need to put rolling to unlockable skill. First because it is neccessary and the skill can be customize.you can choose the skill that look realistic to you and you can just ignore the rolling if you want to, use dodge instead, that one is more realistic. But the point is there are too few way to defend yourself that force you to jump around too much. Well ofcourse skillfull player can avoid rolling easily and produce realistic fight but not all of us can do that and that would make the fight less realistic and immersive. Anyway shield or no shield, we still need a blocking system to fix this problem. For me shield is just a look. If you can block by a sword as do by shield i would choose a sword.

soren92
06-23-2018, 07:46 PM
there are going to be a lot of fans disappointed if in the end they will not find a way for adding a shield, i dont know if someone from ubisoft will read this discussion but i really hope so because they need to work on fans feedback, also because we are customers first and we invest money on there product and it's also convenient for them to listen with criterion obviously to smart request, everyone know that some times there are unnecessery complain on stupid things....Anyway i think in my opinion that a good and even fast way for the developers to work on this feature is to add the shield with leonaidas spear! so if we want we can figth with broken spear and shield, instead of adding sword + shield or every other weapon in the invetory. In this way they will not loose time on work, and the shield can be use similar to a nother weapon, so we have the parry mechanics of the sword. I really hope so this my consideration will be usefull as an personal investment for this game.

datAssassin2018
06-23-2018, 08:59 PM
Based on Dumont's answer we can't use shields in the game.I can't understand what kind of poor decision this is.We can use every weapon that exists in the game except shields(maces,axes,swords,spears,bows).I can't believe they gave a shield to a medjay(they fought with bows and axes) but they removed it from a greek mercenary(they fought as hoplites or peltasts).I'm buying this game because of the setting and I expected some historical accuracy in the way we fight but no.....
I was hyped when I heard the game was set during the Peloponnesian war because I wanted to fight like a greek warrior(you know with an aspis and a spear/sword) but it turns out we can only fight as ninjas.
If they don't include the option to use shields in this game then this is the first and the last Assassin's Creed game I will buy.

Frag_Maniac
06-23-2018, 09:53 PM
As for the director talking about the realistic combat: there is no need to put rolling to unlockable skill.
There certainly IS if they use it to replace the shield as he stated. You took what I said out of context and totally missed the point. I also see no reason you assume we'll be able to use the shield in places when he clearly said we won't be able to use one period.

I was hyped when I heard the game was set during the Peloponnesian war because I wanted to fight like a greek warrior(you know with an aspis and a spear/sword) but it turns out we can only fight as ninjas.
I guess this is the kind of thing we should expect from a developer team that thought it was a good idea to have Samurais, Knights and Vikings fighting against each other, with some cheesy, contrived excuse for how it's even possible.

ProdiGurl
06-23-2018, 10:02 PM
Sounds like you guys should just go with Hitman 2 coming in Nov. ... you can use a fish to take your targets out with

Frag_Maniac
06-23-2018, 10:17 PM
Sounds like you guys should just go with Hitman 2 coming in Nov. ... you can use a fish to take your targets out with
I'm not even sure you're serious about games with some of the strange comments you make. Especially when you waffle back and forth between being OK with RPG features, then not, then saying you're not bothered either way, but Hitman is dying a slow death since they turned it into a multiple ways to kill demo instead of a compelling assassin story with lengthy campaign and many varied levels.

I see no reason to be flippant about our insisting shields be included though, which is Spartan style, particularly when you use a completely unrealistic example with your obvious sarcastic insult. Ubi never disciplines fanboys for breaking forum rules though, so it's kinda pointless to even say.

MnemonicSyntax
06-23-2018, 10:59 PM
I'm not even sure you're serious about games with some of the strange comments you make. Especially when you waffle back and forth between being OK with RPG features, then not, then saying you're not bothered either way, but Hitman is dying a slow death since they turned it into a multiple ways to kill demo instead of a compelling assassin story with lengthy campaign and many varied levels.

I see no reason to be flippant about our insisting shields be included though, which is Spartan style, particularly when you use a completely unrealistic example with your obvious sarcastic insult. Ubi never disciplines fanboys for breaking forum rules though, so it's kinda pointless to even say.

Because being sarcastic isn't breaking any forum rules. Calling people "fanboys" is, because you're resorting to insults in order to get your point across and try to win arguments.

This really shouldn't require an explanation.

As for the shield thing, neither one of our heroes are Spartans. And from a storyline standpoint, an all-powerful spear or a shield. Hmm. Seems like a no-brainer.

quanzaizai
06-23-2018, 11:13 PM
There certainly IS if they use it to replace the shield as he stated. You took what I said out of context and totally missed the point. I also see no reason you assume we'll be able to use the shield in places when he clearly said we won't be able to use one period.

I guess this is the kind of thing we should expect from a developer team that thought it was a good idea to have Samurais, Knights and Vikings fighting against each other, with some cheesy, contrived excuse for how it's even possible.

I'm not sure that I missed your point or u missed mine lol. Anyways how realistic the combat is depend on you. You hate rolling then dont use it. There is a button for rolling, just dont press it ...use dodge and parry instead. I just wanna ask ubi to add blocking system to have more realistic.
For the shield i said that may have: AC always have some sort of mission which force us to play a mini game for example: machine gun shooting(AC syndicate); canon shooting (AC 3) davinci machine( Ac2-brotherhood) , chariot ( ACO). I can imagine from the trailer maybe in campain mission you were force to use shield to take part in some sort of shield wall fight mini game along side with you spartan comrade just like the movie 300 then after that you no longer use shield.

datAssassin2018
06-23-2018, 11:42 PM
As for the shield thing, neither one of our heroes are Spartans. And from a storyline standpoint, an all-powerful spear or a shield. Hmm. Seems like a no-brainer.

I think you don't understand what the problem is.The Spartans weren't the only ones that used shields.All the ancient Greeks fought in the phalanx formation with shields.These beach fights you saw in the demo,in reality they would have been fought between two phalanxes(not a blob).Setting a game in ancient Greece and not giving the protagonists shields to use,breaks immersion.Imagine that they made an Assassin's Creed game in Japan.Now imagine that the protagonist is a ronin that fights samurai but he can't wield or use a katana himself.Instead of a katana he fights with the broken spear head of a naginata(a PoE).The shield is to the hoplite what the katana is to the samurai.What makes it even worse is the fact that Alexios/Kassandra aren't even assassins.

io.Hellenic
06-24-2018, 10:34 AM
i dont understand you people who dont want shield IF you dont want shield dont equip in your item

But for people who want this why are you so negatif for us ? we are player with diferent style !

every people is different in this game you can be gay, hetero, asexual BUT YOU DONT HAVE SHIELD
can you explain me this a love story realy needed?

im sure some people enjoy this relation ect me i realy dont care about thats im complaining ? rage because we get love story and i will not take part of thats? you see me
speaking in forum about thats to make this negatif?

get your mind the shield for me is a part of the spartan life or bandit if you want WE ARE NOT ASSASSIN origins is the begin of assassin

WE WANT SHIELD, WE DONT WANT PAID FOR SHIELD, NO DLC , NO MONEY JUST SHIELD PLACE ! <3

Marios_Gate7
06-24-2018, 12:16 PM
Hello and first of all thank you for releasing a title set in ancient Greece.. As i come from Greece im honoured for this and all greeks im sure will support this game 100% .. But i noticed some things that didnt like.The athenians hopefully appear historical accurate but why spartans look like gladiators with no shields and no corinthian helmets??? If you could please fix that and also the 2 armies of athens and sparta fight with hoplite phalanx as a single unit and not 1v1 fights,but our character can fight as he wants it would be more realistic and the game will be even more worth.. Im not talking about the main characters, just the soldiers that appear ingame could be more historical accurate if the spartans had shields and corinthian helmets like the athenians cause they look really fake.. If you need any help with the models you can check Rome II Total War and copy some spartan units from there or feel free to contact me and i will gladly help you providing you with historical info and pictures on how spartans really looked like that period. Please fix the spartans they look like the movie 300 its a shame .. I hope you listen me and take my advise... Im still surprised about the title and all Greeks but if you fix that tiny problem this game will be the best Assassins Creed title,just dont be lazy and make this game worth the money and believe me you wont regret it if you change it. All greeks from age 9-35 will buy this game for sure..Also i would like to mention some other things i noticed. The map is perfect but you cut a bit from Epirus and put sea instead of land i dont understand the reason.. Another thing is that in the Peloponnesian war many greek city states took part not only athens and sparta. Spartas biggest ally was korinthos and they also controlled all the region of Peloponnese including Argos and athens biggest ally was korkyra but half of greek city states were allies of spartans and other half allies of athenians. You could include some of these city states as factions but most important and first priority should be to fix the unit models of spartans cause they appear like gladiators with no shields or naked from the movie 300 is awful.. And a last thing is to fix the nature a bit. In the region of Laconia and in the island of Crete it is more wild nature,not many trees,just many mountains near the sea with rocks and in some places dark-red rocks and instead of the random plants that appear you should include more olive trees that produce oil .Laconia and Crete have the best oil in greece and all over the world. At last why you release 5 different expensive versions and not 2 or 3? 1 with full game 2 with full game and dlcs and 3 full game dlcs and extra the figures.. its so simple. most people think negative about this game but i still hope in fixes. If you listen to me you wont regret it i promish. I live in Piraeus port in Athens and i come from a village near Gytheion the port of Sparta. Im a big fan of historical accurate games and this game can reach that and become like AC:1 that took place in the holy lands and holy wars with historical characters etc.. It will attract even more people that didnt even play a single AC title. Thanks for your attention i hope you saw my case and answer me soon that you will consider my thoughts .. Thanks again for releasing such a game im grateful and honoured 😄

raddevbor
06-24-2018, 12:29 PM
Hello and first of all thank you for releasing a title set in ancient Greece.. (...)

Do you really think it's neccesary do duplicate this post in various threads?

step3ch
06-24-2018, 12:32 PM
Agree

Marios_Gate7
06-24-2018, 12:38 PM
Yes of course it is cause if the development team consider my thread you will experience a much better game.. And what i say its right and must be fixed...

raddevbor
06-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Yes of course it is cause if the development team consider my thread you will experience a much better game.. And what i say its right and must be fixed...

I don't suppose the development team is searching the forums' threads for answers to the question: "what we've done wrong and what we have to fix in our game we're planning to release in near future"...

ProdiGurl
06-24-2018, 02:07 PM

What forum rule did I break? & Speaking of insult, I'll just say pot & kettle much?

>>Especially when you waffle back and forth between being OK with RPG features, then not, then saying you're not bothered either way, <<
Well I'll explain it again like I did the first time, I never "waffled" about RPG - I like RPG, I simply can't know if it will be good or not in this game. How is that waffling? You can be open to something new being used yet not know how well it will work or go over w/ players.
I'll repaste my original response re. RPG to you from 6 days ago.
>>>Originally Posted by Frag_Maniac Go to original post (https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php?p=13543885#post13543885)
I'm also a bit surprised to hear ProdiGurl say she doesn't really care for RPGs, because she's been systematically defending that element in Odyssey all along, even though it clearly doesn't fit the theme of the game..

K, but I never said that I don't care for RPGs - this was my actual comment >>I agree they're moving further & further away esp. w/ the RPG thing & I'm in the middle on it. I like RPG, but I don't play much of any of them. <<
I said I like RPG but that I don't play any titles that are dedicated RPG games. I did play the 2nd Mass Effect and LOVED it to death!
I said I was in the middle on AC using RPG when they haven't done it before - don't know if it'll make the game better, same or worse?
I'm supporting AC trying it & hope it's great. <<<

>>I see no reason to be flippant about our insisting shields be included though, <<
I wasn't flippant about shields, it was aimed at the chronic attack posts I was reading - both on the games & Ubisoft.
My Hitman comment was to basically say, if the game is such a sad joke & Ubi's so's clueless & out to rob us blind by all their evil greed, then by all means, play a *real* Assassin game - - like Hitman where now you can use a dead fish to kill targets with.
There's a nuance when comparing the 2 assassin games - AC remains separate & distinct as a game title even if the standard of lore it began with were completely removed. The historical gameplay/style make it AC. It hasn't ceased to be "AC" even w/ RPG & other additional choice elements. (imo).
That's been my claim here & it's remained consistent.

What I've said repeatedly is that I saw more complaints than support about having Shields in Origins - every aspect of them was heavily criticized... now people are demanding them as if they're a game breaking necessity. But this is common.

>> but Hitman is dying a slow death since they turned it into a multiple ways to kill demo instead of a compelling assassin story with lengthy campaign and many varied levels. <<
Ahh yes,... of course it is .

Fanboy? No, I think I'm just a 'real' AC fan who actually likes the game for things that it does deliver rather than condemning it for the things it doesn't. I don't call myself one then trash nearly the entire series of games or Ubi in every post. That baffles me.
I find positive things in all game series I play & give constructive criticism on things I think could use some attention -
I've already posted 2 concerns: one regarding Alexios character & Origins issue w/ the leveling system.

I appreciate what Ubi does as a game company [in fact all game Co's], they give me days of enjoyment & escape into other worlds. I treat them with respect & don't expect them to cater to my every demand or else rip them to shreds. I'm very serious about games, but I treat them as GAMES. There's tons of game titles to choose from if AC ceases to make me happy. I'm not going to lurk around a game forum to trash & bash it day after day as a "fan".
I also don't prejudge games as being a total failure 3 mos. before they're even released. If that's what a Fanboy is, then I guess you're right, I am one. Maybe it's a simple issue of glass half empty & half full .

Megas_Doux
06-24-2018, 04:00 PM
I will miss the shield gameplay, but even though I think the main reason behind its absence is just for this game to not look as strikingly similar as Origins, the explanation makes sense.

MnemonicSyntax
06-24-2018, 06:45 PM

Actually, that's a form of spam and against the rules, especially when you have it copied and pasted across the forums in different spots.

Just FYI.

Frag_Maniac
06-24-2018, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure that I missed your point or u missed mine lol. Anyways how realistic the combat is depend on you. You hate rolling then dont use it. There is a button for rolling, just dont press it ...use dodge and parry instead. I just wanna ask ubi to add blocking system to have more realistic.
Pay attention, this is the LAST time I will repeat this. I suggested offering roll as an ability to replace shield because Dumont specifically said since roll was added, shields are unnecessary. You can keep harping all you want that I can opt to not use roll, but there's no way to avoid it and use shield instead unless they somehow have shields in the first place! My suggestion is just one way. It's really not that hard to follow, and I'm done going back and forth with you on it, as you can't seem to grasp the simplicity of it.

For the shield i said that may have: AC always have some sort of mission which force us to play a mini game for example: machine gun shooting(AC syndicate); canon shooting (AC 3) davinci machine( Ac2-brotherhood) , chariot ( ACO). I can imagine from the trailer maybe in campain mission you were force to use shield to take part in some sort of shield wall fight mini game along side with you spartan comrade just like the movie 300 then after that you no longer use shield.
And again, I don't care what you said, Dumont said we won't be able to use shields at all. Do you really expect us to listen to your speculation over his facts? He has inside knowledge of the game design. You on the other hand are just dreaming. I mean it's like your head is so stuck in a fantasy world you can't see the forest for the trees! Wake up and smell the crap coffee Ubi is brewing! :rolleyes:

quanzaizai
06-24-2018, 10:15 PM
Pay attention, this is the LAST time I will repeat this. I suggested offering roll as an ability to replace shield because Dumont specifically said since roll was added, shields are unnecessary. You can keep harping all you want that I can opt to not use roll, but there's no way to avoid it and use shield instead unless they somehow have shields in the first place! My suggestion is just one way. It's really not that hard to follow, and I'm done going back and forth with you on it, as you can't seem to grasp the simplicity of it.

And again, I don't care what you said, Dumont said we won't be able to use shields at all. Do you really expect us to listen to your speculation over his facts? He has inside knowledge of the game design. You on the other hand are just dreaming. I mean it's like your head is so stuck in a fantasy world you can't see the forest for the trees! Wake up and smell the crap coffee Ubi is brewing! :rolleyes:

why so much hate buddy lol. I didn't force to listen to me at all, I just suggest an opportunity in gameplay that might appear and a way to have realistic combat. I thought I was on your side when I share the same frustration about no shield seem like u just want everybody get **** off :). well my man just stay calm and keep bringing good fresh idea. :confused:

quanzaizai
06-24-2018, 10:24 PM
Back to discussion, they said they replace shield with adding parry dodge and roll but they actually didnt mean adding new things. parry dodge and roll already exist in ACO. So this one just do the same thing without shield/blocking, all the other are the same. In ACO some time I use shield/blocking to make it realistic in tactical way, sometime I only use dodge and parry(with shield of course) but still realistic in an aggressive way. that why I suggest they should have blocking system. better with shield, or no shield then it should act like when u using dual blade in ACO. I dont know yet how they put rolling in this game, in ACO its 2 dodge and then roll. maybe this one will be 1 press is dodge and double tap is rolling.

WendysBrioche
06-25-2018, 01:35 AM

Ya I find that disappointing.

They went through all that trouble of introducing shield mechanics in AC Origins, and it seems due to a small group of fans not liking the shield they decided to get rid of it for Odyssey, the game that needs shields more than any other Assassin's game arguably.

Cidius7
06-25-2018, 02:08 AM
For me the combat system with shield of assassin's creed Origins was the best combat system i have ever seen on a game.
Please Ubisoft give us the shield back ! I don't wanna fight with this ugly little broken spear of Leonidas.
I want to play like a spartan in the movie 300 with a real long spear and a shield.
I was so hyped when i saw Assassin's Creed Odyssey and now that i know that the shield is gone i don't know if i am buying this game...
You give us so many choices in this game ( choose the gender, choose our answers, choose our look, ...) to not give us the choice to fight and parry with a shield is a nonsense.

Hope Ubisoft gonna hear us ... thanks for making this thread.

Prkl8r
06-25-2018, 07:10 AM
Why didn't they just put in Leonidas' Shield in as a second PoE and let you select between the spear and the shield? They could each have their own unique skills to unlock.

That would have made everybody happy and made total sense. Pick the offensive hidden-blade-like spear or the more defensive warrior style shield.

It's not like there weren't ways they could have put shields in while keeping the abilities based combat.

io.Hellenic
06-26-2018, 07:20 PM
every one think thats was verry good, imagine maybe 2 shield like the owl athenian or spartan shield achilles maybe !!! why no shield ubisoft speak to us we are our community we need response can we have possibility to have shield ?

MnemonicSyntax
06-26-2018, 07:23 PM
They responded in the Reddit AMA. Unfortunately it's not the answer some want to hear.

Frag_Maniac
06-27-2018, 06:15 AM
Back to discussion, they said they replace shield with adding parry dodge and roll but they actually didnt mean adding new things. parry dodge and roll already exist in ACO.

LOL, no wonder you interpret my frustrations with you as hate, you clearly aren't paying attention as I said. I have countless times said dodge and parry are already in Origins. I have to admit I wasn't aware it had roll though, but after testing it with KB/M, it's hardly as reliable as dodge. It's supposed to activate with a triple tap of Space any direction, but you're lucky if it engages, most of the time it doesn't. The AMA seemed to indicate maybe the parry in Odyssey is more refined and effective, but whether they've made these moves more efficient to replace shields matters not, nor is it just about playing as we choose. It's about staying true to Spartan fighting style, and please Ubi, don't keep telling us "But the hero is not a Spartan anymore", because clearly you crammed the game full of Spartan lore. Stop contradicting yourselves already.

But no quanz, I don't hate you, it's just that your lack of focus in conversations is maddening. I don't like having to constantly repeat myself.

Vorinusrome
06-27-2018, 03:38 PM
i dont understand you people who dont want shield IF you dont want shield dont equip in your item

Exactly. As a developer I would understand if they have to implement the shield from the scratch. Maybe some technical difficult. But I dont think that is the case since we have shields in Origins.

MnemonicSyntax
06-27-2018, 04:06 PM
Exactly. As a developer I would understand if they have to implement the shield from the scratch. Maybe some technical difficult. But I dont think that is the case since we have shields in Origins.

But Odyssey was developed at the same time as Origins on a separate basis. Some assets were obviously shared, but you might be onto something when you talk about building it from scratch.

Vorinusrome
06-27-2018, 10:30 PM
But Odyssey was developed at the same time as Origins on a separate basis. Some assets were obviously shared, but you might be onto something when you talk about building it from scratch.

Oh I see. Still sad. Im a huge AC fan. I have all the games and for the first time ever I don't wanna buy the new game. It s just a shield, I known , but the fact that I will be playing with a spartan without a shield will bother me too much. Does not seem historical to me and I have always respected AC in that matter.

Something is weird. It's like a humnnn idk, a samurai without a katana?

Frag_Maniac
06-27-2018, 10:41 PM
Try telling a REAL Spartan his shield is "Just a shield". LOL

He would no doubt lecture you on how important a piece of battle gear it is. The bottom line is you can't expect to defeat numbers of enemies several times that of your own if you have nothing but a blade to block with. That alone is what makes this game more of a Fantasy RPG than Action Adventure than anything else.

io.Hellenic
06-28-2018, 03:44 PM
i find issus for Dev make the game modable let people mod this game !!! if dev have no abillity for this im sure people can do this ! and no dlc or somethink like thats required its only by people

Im realy sure Dev dont want this post we are the community of ubisoft maybe a small part of this community but we paid we play we love games and when i look the price of the game
with nothing behind no response nothing i realy feel bad

why no one come and said NO SHIELD - Yes you will have ! i dont know just know if i buy the game or not THEY SAID free choice free way lie or not on the game do your odyssey
but i realy think i cant

on assassin's screed i remember connor petition but now they realy dont care about us money make the world

Please dev you have responsability you have us money in your hand we need response its possible or not dont be ( the futur will said we dont know YOU KNOW ) dont lie please

im not hear for harrasement or anything but this post make realy people hurt you need to do somethink we are big fan of you dont let us leave you stay with us and we will stay with you

MnemonicSyntax
06-28-2018, 04:07 PM
i find issus for Dev make the game modable let people mod this game !!! if dev have no abillity for this im sure people can do this ! and no dlc or somethink like thats required its only by people

Im realy sure Dev dont want this post we are the community of ubisoft maybe a small part of this community but we paid we play we love games and when i look the price of the game
with nothing behind no response nothing i realy feel bad

why no one come and said NO SHIELD - Yes you will have ! i dont know just know if i buy the game or not THEY SAID free choice free way lie or not on the game do your odyssey
but i realy think i cant

on assassin's screed i remember connor petition but now they realy dont care about us money make the world

Please dev you have responsability you have us money in your hand we need response its possible or not dont be ( the futur will said we dont know YOU KNOW ) dont lie please

im not hear for harrasement or anything but this post make realy people hurt you need to do somethink we are big fan of you dont let us leave you stay with us and we will stay with you

A few things:

If Ubi doesn't allow modding, I doubt it would be possible to have someone mod in shields because the "shield button" has been delegated to the spear powers. Most modding that could be done without access to the engine would mostly be cosmetic.

Secondly, while Ubisoft does listen to the community (New Game +, Harder difficulty, etc) there is a "Developer Vision" and therefore, not everything the fans ask for can or will be completed. As they are pushing the spear pretty hard, I doubt this is something that will be approved, though I'm all for options.

Lastly, if this is a problem for you and you've already paid, consider keeping an eye out and getting a refund. While I love Ubisoft,. speaking with your wallet is a great way to send a message. Just because the community.paid for something doesn't mean the developers are required to give in to the demands of the community, especially this far in the process.

Again, I would love to see options. Equip a shield instead of the spear, only use neck breaking or knock out in place of the spear assassinations. It could work.

Or it couldn't.

Frag_Maniac
06-29-2018, 12:28 AM
i find issus for Dev make the game modable.
No matter how many times that is requested Ubi will never allow mod support. It's literally like beating a drum with your bare hands until they're stripped to the bone.

Slimgrin
06-29-2018, 06:01 PM
I don't get the no shields bit. How are we to defend against arrows?

Frag_Maniac
06-29-2018, 09:00 PM
I don't get the no shields bit. How are we to defend against arrows?
Very good point. Maybe there's yet another fantasy arcade thing in the game where you can unlock a rapid Jedi sword block or something. :rolleyes:

DaelosTheCat
07-01-2018, 11:10 PM
Very good point. Maybe there's yet another fantasy arcade thing in the game where you can unlock a rapid Jedi sword block or something. :rolleyes:

Yeah cause more EPIC AWESOME fantasy elements - that is exactly what this series needs. *sigh*

io.Hellenic
07-02-2018, 03:48 PM
what FANTASY JEDI ARROW WE ARE NOT JEDDI we are spartan mercenary or not HE IS GREEK a greek without is shield is not possible look all comment about thats you want video of some one can explain you the greek and the shield ???? they can lose their spear they can lose their xyphos BUT NEVER THE SHIELD COME BACK WITH THEM OR ON HIM !!! why you defend all ubisoft its a bad choice

a verry bad choice i hope jonathan durmont or other on this community will not be in the 3ier assasin'screed roman imperior or i dont know the name

people can have sex ! BUT THEY CAN HAVE SHIELD whuuut

when i hear you can block like a jedi thats not star wars THIS IS ANCIENT GREECE Spear Shield Helmet and maybe linothorax why bless people for thats ? what is matter lets people play how they want dont push them in a way or make the game modable ! so many people can show what they can and maybe have a job for what mod they have done AND MAYBE BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL SCRIPT

Frag_Maniac
07-03-2018, 03:13 AM
Dude, the Jedi block reference was sarcasm. I get your viewpoints and agree, but chill and learn some basic English so you know what you're reading. ;)

LaMOi
07-04-2018, 08:58 PM
I would definitely like the option.

The reason why I didn’t like the shield (at times in Origins) is because it should have been an option! Using the staff/sceptre was actually one of my favourite weapons, and it just looked stupid with the shield.

But you gotta a shield if you’re a Spartan!!

cryptocricket
07-05-2018, 06:45 PM
do the devs even go to the forums?

Hitman47x.
07-05-2018, 09:28 PM
I also don't like the idea of not having a shield for Odyssey. It makes no sense not to have one.

cawatrooper9
07-06-2018, 02:15 PM
do the devs even go to the forums?

Directly, probably not often.

But the community management team is here often, and they can relay info directly to the dev team.

Again, just because the dev team is aware of fan requests doesn't mean that they'll happen, but that is how we got stuff like New Game + with Origins.

projectpat06
07-06-2018, 09:04 PM
I've purchased every assassins creed game except AC Syndicate and on day one, but I'll probably skip this one too. This Dev team makes some really odd choices. First I never understood how a top hat would stay on while jumping off a building. Now it makes zero sense to have a game set in Ancient Greece with no ability to hold a shield. The combat in AC origins would have worked perfectly with new add ons and more polish.

Both syndicate and now odyssey seem immersion breaking. That's fine in games that's not based on history, but forcing players to play as a Greek/spartan warrior with no shield just kills the experience for me. Plus you look ridiculous with this huge spartan helmet and armor yet want the character to move quickly like an assassin never on defense.

The other complaint carries over from origins in that enemies are sometimes unfazed by getting hit by weapons. The combat is still wonky and completely lacks the finese of previous entries.

quanzaizai
07-06-2018, 09:34 PM
Ubisoft Quebec is good at introducing new feature and removing good feature =))))))))

EGOdeta
07-18-2018, 08:17 AM
I heard many reasons about why we should not miss the shield from the game. And I do not agree with any of them. Some of these (and my opinion):
1. Shields would make the combat boring. – Origins had shields and it wasn’t boring. Many of the former AC games had a really simple combat mechanism with only attack, parry and counterattack, and they weren’t boring either.

2. If you can roll, you don’t need a shield. – In the former AC games there was an arsenal of weapons. Players could complete the game on 100% without using many of these (weapons for example: short blade, poison blade, throwing knifes, hook blade, rope dart…)

3. Developers wanted to create a faster and variable combat style. – Why??? Seeing the videos from the game I had the feeling the player’s character can only fight like a mad, hyperactive kangaroo jumping around the enemies, and sometimes take a hit on them. I think it makes the whole scene ridiculous… a Spartan warrior in armour, who moves faster than a kung-fu master. Is it really necessary?

4. It would be difficult to put useable shields in the game. – In Origins it was not? They could simply copy the shield related movements from Origins.

5. We did not miss shields from any of the former AC games anyway. – Yes we did. I personally really missed shields from the AC1. It was a fantastic medieval game with Templar knights in full armour, who did not have any shield. It was a little bit strange, but everyone understood it would be extremely hard to put shields in the game in 2005. That time we were happy to have a historical game where we can climb every building. – About the other AC games: Shields would not fit into any of their historical era, so we did not miss them. – None of the former AC games had a combat situation where all the enemies have shields, but we cannot have any.

I think the lack of ability to have a shield can be so disturbing in this case, that it could ruin the whole experience of the game. I have bought every single Assassin’s Creed game, but I think this tradition ends now. (Even if I love everything else about the game: Environment, era, graphics, style…) I really feel sad about it… :-(

MnemonicSyntax
07-18-2018, 02:23 PM
I heard many reasons about why we should not miss the shield from the game. And I do not agree with any of them. Some of these (and my opinion):

4. It would be difficult to put useable shields in the game. – In Origins it was not? They could simply copy the shield related movements from Origins.

"Simply." Odyssey isn't a direct copy and paste of Origins. The two were worked on together simultaneously. The combat is different between the two (not all the animations though) and the "shield" function has been delegated to the Spear for Odyssey.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but it may not be as "simple" as people seem to think it is. It's usually those with zero programming experience that say things like that, but your mileage may vary.

5. We did not miss shields from any of the former AC games anyway. – Yes we did. I personally really missed shields from the AC1. It was a fantastic medieval game with Templar knights in full armour, who did not have any shield. It was a little bit strange, but everyone understood it would be extremely hard to put shields in the game in 2005. That time we were happy to have a historical game where we can climb every building. – About the other AC games: Shields would not fit into any of their historical era, so we did not miss them. – None of the former AC games had a combat situation where all the enemies have shields, but we cannot have any.

Why would it be hard to put in shields in a game in 2007? (It didn't come out until 2007)

Other games had shields, it wasn't a new mechanic. that hadn't been done before.

I think the lack of ability to have a shield can be so disturbing in this case, that it could ruin the whole experience of the game. I have bought every single Assassin’s Creed game, but I think this tradition ends now. (Even if I love everything else about the game: Environment, era, graphics, style…) I really feel sad about it… :-(

Again, powerful artifact gifted from the "gods" or a large frisbee. I'll take the powerful artifact personally.

Vogue77
07-18-2018, 04:33 PM
I don't mind if they add or don't add shields AS LONG as they are optional for your character. If I want to play a DW mercenary, then let me do that, if I want to use a shield for lore / RP reasons with 1h weapon, that is fine too. But this isn't really a game changer or game killer for me.

projectpat06
07-19-2018, 03:16 AM
After watching the naval combat, I realized that we were able to hide under a shield while bracing from incoming arrows. In Odyssey, we do the same animation for bracing but with no shield.....I honestly don't understand what goes on through these canadian's minds. So we are the only person on the ship not hiding under a shield from hundreds of arrows raining down and we magically do not get hit????

Honestly this game has so much potential to be close to greatness like witcher 3 or botw, but weird decisions are being made

projectpat06
07-19-2018, 03:18 AM
All this being said though, I'll still pick it after I get done with Red Dead 2 and enjoy the game for what it is. Still just odd

EGOdeta
07-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Odyssey isn't a direct copy and paste of Origins. The two were worked on together simultaneously. The combat is different between the two (not all the animations though) ...

They said the same when AC Rogue has been released, and players complained about many movements of Shay were exactly the same as Edward's movements. (I am not a professional programmer, but during work I often write and edit scripts, so I have some basic ideas about it.)

Why would it be hard to put in shields in a game in 2007? (It didn't come out until 2007) Other games had shields, it wasn't a new mechanic. that hadn't been done before.

Sorry, I remembered to a wrong release date. I should have checked it.

I play computer games since the late 80's, so I saw nearly the whole evolution of PC games. As I remember at the time, when AC1 had been released, it gave so many features and opportunities to the players, that we have never seen before. Compared to the other games, it was miles ahead of one's time.
Today, when we got used to all this and even more opportunities in the series, I think, it would be expectable to have at least shields in a historical game like this. (Especially, when a lot of NPC characters have them.)

Again, powerful artifact gifted from the "gods" or a large frisbee. I'll take the powerful artifact personally.

If some of the former
powerful artifact gifted from the "gods" would replace Connor's bow, Edwards pistols would have you still like it?
Ok: Arno got the Sword Of Eden at the end of his story. I think, it looked absolutely unreal and ridiculous, but we could still change back to a normal authentic sword at once, after the credits ended, and we were not forced to play with that trough the whole game. (If we would have, I am pretty sure, that would be the last AC many of us ever tried.

quanzaizai
07-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Ok: Arno got the Sword Of Eden at the end of his story. I think, it looked absolutely unreal and ridiculous, but we could still change back to a normal authentic sword at once, after the credits ended, and we were not forced to play with that trough the whole game. (If we would have, I am pretty sure, that would be the last AC many of us ever tried.

the spear is a major part of the game, the story and also belong the character as well so we kinda force to use it . Arno on the other hand, the sword its not belong to him and he is free to choose what he want to fight with.

EGOdeta
07-19-2018, 09:23 PM
Ok, we deviated from the subject...
Would you like to have shields in Odyssey or not?

MnemonicSyntax
07-19-2018, 10:29 PM
They said the same when AC Rogue has been released, and players complained about many movements of Shay were exactly the same as Edward's movements. (I am not a professional programmer, but during work I often write and edit scripts, so I have some basic ideas about it.)

And a movement is what? An animation. Which I already covered were repeated.

Editing scripts isn't anything like writing code, especially if the code isn't modular.

If some of the former would replace Connor's bow, Edwards pistols would have you still like it?

Sure, because it's more powerful than any of those things.

Here's the problem though, nothing is getting replaced with Alexios and Kassandra. They never had a shield in the first place. It's not like you have a shield and then suddenly you get the spear. (From what we know so far anyway, that might change)

It looked unreal because it was a POE, which isn't something that is just suddenly made up and has existed in the franchise since day 1. Had it been added as a MacGuffin, I'd agree. As for the other POE, the Eagle of Suger,I loved it. It gave an ability to blind other enemies that wasn't completely god-like and broken. It had a 35% chance of activating once it was upgraded. I use it often in co-op because with Unity, the combat is really against Arno's favor.

You can't really state your opinion and then when someone responds to you with their opinion (or factual statement) tell them to get back on topic. You stated your opinion on the matter first, and others chimed in.

"Many" is subjective, and not indicative of any sort of fact.

As for me? I'd like shields if it was optional. I'm about choice and making as many people possible happy. But, there's always that "developer vision" that can't please everyone.

EGOdeta
07-23-2018, 10:00 AM
Sure, because it's more powerful than any of those things.

Oh, sorry. I see the point now. How great would it be to have an AK47 too, because 'it's more powerful than any of those things'. We could find some name to it to fit in the story I am sure! Like the 'Rifle of Eden'.
Oh please Ubisoft put some miniguns, artillery, and spaceships in AC! We don't care about the historical atmosphere; just give us something really powerful! Like a nuke or something (it could be the Barrel of Eden that has the special ability to kill every enemy by a single exposition)! How great would it be!!!

In my home there is a proverb:

‘Do not argue with stupid people because you are only degrading yourself to their level and then they defeat you with their routine anyway.’

Now you are free to use your routine. Do not spare me.

Vogue77
07-23-2018, 10:22 AM
I don't think having OPTIONAL shield would hurt the game, but since Spear comes with it's own abilities, the shield would feel empty compared to it as there are no shield abilities and there is no time left to develop and test shield abilities to make them similar.

Would you still want to hold a shield instead of the Spear if you can't Spartan Kick, Shield Disarm, Heal etc (aka use any of spear abilities since those are tied to the spear power)? I think everyone can realize why - IMHO - there won't be shields for our character in game, it's much bigger than simply adding the item.

With those said, maybe we will get shields either as cosmetic, or fully integrated in a future DLC / expansion, but I highly doubt they will put them in at launch. And I am perfectly fine with that, we are not a common athenian or spartan soldier, we are a mercenary in possession of a powerful artifact (spear of leonidas), it doesn't make any sense to discard that item for a common shield by any length. All our combat / assassination is based on this powerful item, so I understand why Devs went for no shield.

Cheers!

timpbader
07-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Since the assassin aspect has been almost completely removed from AC Odyssey along with the hidden blade, they should at least give you guys shields to use to make this a decent Ancient Greek game. The assassin game is lost. At least try to make this a game worth playing for some reason.

MnemonicSyntax
07-23-2018, 02:41 PM
Oh, sorry. I see the point now. How great would it be to have an AK47 too, because 'it's more powerful than any of those things'. We could find some name to it to fit in the story I am sure! Like the 'Rifle of Eden'.
Oh please Ubisoft put some miniguns, artillery, and spaceships in AC! We don't care about the historical atmosphere; just give us something really powerful! Like a nuke or something (it could be the Barrel of Eden that has the special ability to kill every enemy by a single exposition)! How great would it be!!!

In my home there is a proverb:

‘Do not argue with stupid people because you are only degrading yourself to their level and then they defeat you with their routine anyway.’

Now you are free to use your routine. Do not spare me.

You're going to insult me because I disagree with an opinion? What? Can't have a mature discussion?

Your analogy of an AK47 is flawed because it's not a POE. You're getting upset because I'm choosing an item that is established and isn't even remotely god-tier like a nuke. This isn't some broken, over powered piece of equipment that has no place, because as far as "historical accuracy" goes, the PoEs were around far longer than anything else you mentioned.

It's like people forget that there is a science fiction element to this franchise.

And I'm the stupid one.

OxIdOAC
07-23-2018, 03:04 PM

This...

cawatrooper9
07-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Yeah, let's get back on topic and address the topic.

Not the poster.

Thanks!

Frag_Maniac
07-24-2018, 01:04 AM
I don't think having OPTIONAL shield would hurt the game, but since Spear comes with it's own abilities, the shield would feel empty compared to it as there are no shield abilities and there is no time left to develop and test shield abilities to make them similar.

Would you still want to hold a shield instead of the Spear if you can't Spartan Kick, Shield Disarm, Heal etc (aka use any of spear abilities since those are tied to the spear power)? I think everyone can realize why - IMHO - there won't be shields for our character in game, it's much bigger than simply adding the item.

With those said, maybe we will get shields either as cosmetic, or fully integrated in a future DLC / expansion, but I highly doubt they will put them in at launch. And I am perfectly fine with that, we are not a common athenian or spartan soldier, we are a mercenary in possession of a powerful artifact (spear of leonidas), it doesn't make any sense to discard that item for a common shield by any length. All our combat / assassination is based on this powerful item, so I understand why Devs went for no shield.Cheers!
Regardless of anyone's analogy on shields regarding close combat, I've yet to see Ubi come up with an adequate response for how arrows are dealt with other than this arcade dodging crap, which is more of a circus than anything immersive. They tend to dismiss anything regarding the hero being a Spartan just to excuse this fantastical gameplay, despite the hero using Spartan Kick, Spartan Spear, and Spartan clothes. It's like this, if they're going to commit to something nonsensical, at least STICK to it. Don't give us this half arse waffling back and forth. Otherwise people just go :confused:.

MnemonicSyntax
07-24-2018, 03:29 AM
It seems we're forgetting that Aya didn't have a shield (except on the boat sequences) and she fared just fine to the point that people wanted to play more of her.

Huh.

Grayfox-87-
07-24-2018, 05:51 AM
Iam also a little bit disappointed there was no shield into this Game but, i have a idee how i could work:

The Problem:
The Hoplite Shield are to big for the Back of our Hero - also with this downscalling (like the Spear does) it will look weard and cover you Heroes Back...

The Solution:
If the devs realy Implant the Shield into the Game i will wish following: Wear the Shield on the Horse saddle (means on the Side) if you want use them, call your Horse, put them up and fight... i know its hard to implant these things like my Idea was, because your Horse cant move into Rooms - which means you should know when you would fight with them...!

Its just a Idea how it could work and your Horse is not just a Cosmetic thing or a transport possiblity...

De3ug_
07-25-2018, 05:48 AM

With those said, maybe we will get shields either as cosmetic, or fully integrated in a future DLC / expansion, but I highly doubt they will put them in at launch. And I am perfectly fine with that, we are not a common athenian or spartan soldier, we are a mercenary in possession of a powerful artifact (spear of leonidas), it doesn't make any sense to discard that item for a common shield by any length. All our combat / assassination is based on this powerful item, so I understand why Devs went for no shield.

Cheers!

the argument of being a merc makes no sense, in ancient greece everyone and their mother had a shield, it was integral part of combat and warfare, a symbol of status and culture. just bc youre a merc or an outcast you just font drop your shield. actually a warror in ancient greece without a shield was seen as a coward, wouldnt be taken seriously and was co sidered naked and stripped. Not just in sparta where we ironically come from as a character where shields are embedded into the culture and are a major part of it, but in all ancient greece. having no shield as an ancient greece fighter is like being a boxer without hands.

Frag_Maniac
07-25-2018, 07:05 AM
...having no shield as an ancient greece fighter is like being a boxer without hands.
Or like one of the many current day citizens standing in the water of the coastline feeling defenseless as fire ravages their homeland. Someone ought to make a viewpoint video where Alexios and Kassandra turn to the camera and say "Really Ubi?", then toss a disarmed shield at it. It's a disgrace to all of Greek heritage.

Let us not forget Greece gave us...

1. Democracy
2. Trial by Jury
3. Theater
4. The Olympic games
5. Cartography
6. The Alarm Clock
7. The Basis of Geometry
8. Philosophy
9. The Lighthouse
10. The Foundation of Medical Practices and the Hippocratic Oath
11. The Anchor
12. Cranes
13. The Odometer
14. Showers
15. The Marathon
16. History
17. Vending Machines
18. The Clock Tower

Source: https://theculturetrip.com/europe/greece/articles/18-awesome-things-greece-gave-the-world/

Ancient Greece clearly was ahead of it's time, and a civilized example for the rest of the world. They were also some of the best fighters in the world and used shields, largely because they were small in numbers compared to enemies like the Persians. Despite the 300 Spartans and their leader King Leonidas losing to Xerxes and his minions, the Spartans eventually went on to defeat them.

Greece didn't roll over and dodge, they adapted and won, and they did it with shields. They didn't foolishly charge the enemy like Persians and Red Coats in more modern times. They were cunning and efficient, not smug, they couldn't afford to be. To take away their shields is to take away their intelligence and strategy, leaving them no smarter than their enemies, which is disingenuous.

Vogue77
07-25-2018, 03:20 PM
Ok, you just picked on the merc part but ignored the game mechanics tied to the spear which is a PoE.

Supposing they will give you a shield, when will you equip it? When you RP in town or ride on country roads? Because you do need the spear to perform any and all of your abilities (be it hunter / warrior or assassin). So whenever you have to do combat or assassinate someone you will need to swap from the shield, how does this improve the gameplay or add to it?

I am not arguing about what you are saying about spartans, Greece and shields in general nor particular, but about the game (because it is a game, not a real life historical simulation). They can't make a PoE Shield now to match the spear, they wanted to go with the spear from the very start of the game hence why all the statements & arguments they made for it. The game is in and by itself a work of fiction that links and intertwines with various episodes of real history.

datAssassin2018
07-25-2018, 10:15 PM
Ok, you just picked on the merc part but ignored the game mechanics tied to the spear which is a PoE.

Supposing they will give you a shield, when will you equip it? When you RP in town or ride on country roads? Because you do need the spear to perform any and all of your abilities (be it hunter / warrior or assassin). So whenever you have to do combat or assassinate someone you will need to swap from the shield, how does this improve the gameplay or add to it?

I am not arguing about what you are saying about spartans, Greece and shields in general nor particular, but about the game (because it is a game, not a real life historical simulation). They can't make a PoE Shield now to match the spear, they wanted to go with the spear from the very start of the game hence why all the statements & arguments they made for it. The game is in and by itself a work of fiction that links and intertwines with various episodes of real history.

We will equip the shield when we want to fight in close combat or when we are up against archers. You forget the fact that Alexios/Kassandra already can swap between different kind of weapons in the game. They can wield 2 handed maces while the spear of Leonidas is in its scabbard.The absence of shields is an ill-considered decision and not a gameplay limitation.Either historical or fictional, it's still a big dissapointment that many of our enemies can use a shield but the main heroes can't. It's like we can smell and see the dessert but they aren't allowing us to eat it.

Frag_Maniac
07-26-2018, 04:52 AM

Isn't that kinda like asking to wrestle with the horns instead of the bull given you know how the shield camp thinks? Yes, it's "just a game", a common excuse we hear lately when they suddenly change to this fantastical format. Well guess what, so was every other AC, and none had you fighting with a PoE all the way through. At most it was always an end game weapon. That pretty much qualifies the broken spear and all it's magical abilities as more of an obsession of theirs than a practical weapon, and it CLEARLY does not fit in with a series always known for historical accuracy in it's locations and architectures. So no, I'm not going to use Ubi's silly design flaws to justify it. The Greeks were responsible for a LOT of intelligent concepts that revolutionized and modernized the world. You don't pay homage to that by reinventing the fighting style of their most iconic warriors. If you guys want to swing that way fine, but don't try to tell us it's justifiable to sully Spartan heritage by making them look like pussies that can't even fight without a magic crutch.

Vogue77
07-26-2018, 12:04 PM
What you said about devs vision of the game going forward and in this case ACOD in particular is true, my point is that being so close to release, I highly doubt they will make major modifications to combat system to integrate shields for player before launch.

I haven't played Origin at all (and not planning to since it didn't click for me, despite watching a lot of vids on it, LPs etc) but ACOD did click and I will play it, I can go by with their narrative and building blocks of the game because I like the game and it's mechanics (some being familiar from AC Black Flag), even if it will be (for sure) a completely different AC experience compared to past games, but I know I will greatly enjoy what this one brings (of course as long as it's polished, no game crushing bugs, no weird animations ala ME Andromeda etc). This is just my opinion, and again, all my thoughts in this thread are based on what they said, shown and how close we are to launch, hence why I once again, doubt they will make any major changes to what we've already seen.

Frag_Maniac
07-27-2018, 05:25 AM
What you said about devs vision of the game going forward and in this case ACOD in particular is true, my point is that being so close to release, I highly doubt they will make major modifications to combat system to integrate shields for player before launch.
Actually your viewpoint was that shields don't fit with their intended game mechanics tied to the spear, and like datAssassin said, the spear doesn't even HAVE to be equipped, so we aren't in fact tied to it technically. I can see how they want to use that as a lame excuse due to their intentions and design, but that is not in fact the reality when it comes to actual gear equipping options, and by extension, gameplay mechanics. Did you forget one of the most important aspects of such games is allowing the player to make gameplay choices, not making them feel tied to a certain style of play?

io.Hellenic
08-04-2018, 12:15 AM
guys if you dont want shield dont equip this ! i understand you want to back old of assassin! but think about player can make this game more beautifull with shield rise for us !

joelsantos24
08-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Isn't that one of the most signifiant problems, though? The mass production design around AC, doesn't allow the acknowledgement and consideration of any feedback from the community. By the time the games are revealed, and the community responds, the games are so far into the production cycle, that it's literally impossible to apply any modifications.

EGOdeta
08-06-2018, 12:24 PM
Still not agree with not having shield in an ancient Greek era.
Let me illustrate it:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/441x361q90/922/nSjKwT.jpg

joelsantos24
08-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Well, Ubisoft and the word logic, don't really mix well together, so... :rolleyes:

MilesHawk10
08-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Why do you guys want shield back? You guys hated the shields in AC Origins in the first place.

EGOdeta
08-06-2018, 02:25 PM
I think you speak about those, who were insisted to the old-school white hooded Assassin’s Creed style. (That had no shield, very few combat, much stealth, and highly designed, harsh looking asymmetric outfit.)

As I recon most of the people, who wish to have shields back, are searching for other values.
Shields fitted perfectly in the ancient Egyptian environment. I liked them in Origins, and I would love to have them in Odyssey.

Personally I do not care about many fans say ‘it is not Assassin’s Creed any more’. I do not care about the title. I just like to play historical themed games with a hero that fits into the era. It makes the visual experience more realistic. (Of course the freedom of movement, the open world and the huge number of opportunities are also essential part of AC games.)

To be honest, I always hated that in many AC games players simply could not take off that f@*** hood. It was good in the crusades, it was ok in the renaissance, but it absolutely did not fit into the American independence war, the age of the pirates, the French revolution, and the 19th century. In those ages simply no one wore hoods (or just very rarely some heroes of romantic novels). In none of these ages could someone blend into the crowd with a hood on his head.
I think the same about Origins too. I bought the ’protector’ outfit as soon as possible (because that is the only one in the game, that has no hood, and does not hide the Egyptian round collar, so I found that one the most authentic for an Egyptian hero). There are also many roman solders in the game who wear hoods – which also looks a bit strange with a roman armour, but I don’t want to be too disputatious…

Shield is something that needs to be in the ancient Greek environment. Some glistening fantasy spear is not.
(But if it is necessary to the story, I say: Thank God they did not make it look too weird…)

io.Hellenic
08-06-2018, 03:46 PM
Because i never said in assassin screed origins the shield is bad !!! IF YOU DONT LIKE THE SHIELD NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE SAID EQUIP THIS !!!!!

im a player visit the forum and dont speak when i dont care about the post but when im touched of course i will writhe ! the shield is the MOST AND IMPORTANT PART OF GREEK SODLIER MERCENARY OR NOT !

they can add this !! im pretty sure they can add but jonathan dourmont or i dont know is name make the bad choice verry bad choice for this time to remove shield and i dont see any reason

we are free to choice what we can said lie or true ! or other we are free to choice if we want sex or not !!! we are free to make this quest or not !!!

but where is freedom when they remove the soul of the ancient Greek Soldier ! only the macedonian cavalry dont use shield only them for to be faster and other point in the fight !

so explain me where is the problem with the shield if you dont like it remove from your stuff no need !!

medussa of the mythe of perseus how he kill here ? we are heroes of course But dont said we are free choice its a lie ! I REALY HOPE PEOPLE CAN MOD THE GAME AND PROVE TO UBISOFT they have better idea tan them !

MnemonicSyntax
08-06-2018, 04:51 PM
That kind of modding is nigh impossible without some sort of support from Ubisoft on it.

Changing the color of textures or removing certain effects (like the poison cloud in Origins weapons) can be done, but not swapping out an entire combat system, animations, etc.

Tirik22x
08-06-2018, 05:38 PM
The first thought I had upon hearing about this game was, “ Definitely rocking a spear and shield!”

In every game that is melee based, my hopes are to be able to use a spear and shield. In this one I thought it was a no-brainer... a definite thing... no doubt I’d get my greatest gaming wish!

So disappointing to see it’s not possible.

Actually very pivotal in my decision to purchase, tbh... I may not now that I know it’s not happening. 😔

Etelloca
08-06-2018, 10:30 PM
Hearing that Assassin's Creed: Odyssey was not going to utilize shields feels very much like a punch to the gut. It is literally the first piece of bad news I have seen related to this game, but it is enough of one to give me - and clearly, many other people - serious doubts about just how faithful to the culture, people, and setting this game is intended to be. Shields are literally the defining aspect of warfare during the time period covered in Odyssey.

This is true not just for Sparta; literally every Greek city-state utilized shields to a prodigious degree, to the point that they were often the defining crux of engagements. Not all shields of the time were the giant bowls of metal that are so commonly imagined by people today, either; modern media has popularized the '300' brand of shield, but that movie is a very poor barometer for Greek (not to mention Persian) authenticity. Specifically, beyond the hoplite-styled heavy shields, there were also peltast (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Agrianian3.jpg/800px-Agrianian3.jpg)soldiers - light infantry wielding javelins, 'skirmishers' really - who carried much smaller, lighter shields made of wood and sheathed in animal hides, whereas the hoplite's shields were more often coated in thin sheets of metal. The peltast's shields are almost identical in size and utility to those implemented in Assassin's Creed: Origins, and the development team for Origins clearly never had any issues keeping their protagonist agile and 'non-passive' during his hand-to-hand combat moments.

The most important detail about both hoplites and peltasts, though? Simply what they are called. The 'hoplon' (also 'aspis') and the 'pelte' are the names of their respective styles of shield, as I'm quite positive the diligent historical researchers at Ubisoft well know. This was a time period when warriors throughout Greece were literally defined by the shields they carried. The only soldiers who didn't have them were purely long-distance soldiers, such as archers or slingers, and I'm quite sure that neither Kassandra or Alexios are at all intended to be shoehorned solely into being long-range combatants.

In truth, all that can be said is that this is an objectively terrible decision by almost every single metric of authenticity. It isn't just 'a samurai without a katana' situation, as so many people have put it; Japanese soldiers used all sorts of weapons in war. No, this oversight is more akin to creating settings like the Mongol Empire without horses; the Aztecs without obsidian clubs; imperial Britain without muskets; colonial Spain without galleons. It is literally setting-breaking, a point made all the more blatantly clear - and repeatedly thrown in the players' faces - when virtually every enemy soldier we will be facing seems to be equipped with that most Greek of implements; a shield. For the record, as well; Greek mercenaries used shields prodigiously, too. In formation, they would have been next to useless on the field of battle without them. 'The protagonist is a mercenary' is not a legitimate excuse for this glaring oversight, particularly when Kassandra/Alexios are by every measure a marine, who most certainly did use shields when boarding or landing for combat from the decks of their warships.

Clearly there is some unwavering, inflexible design impetus to put the broken Spear of Leonidas front-and-centre in standard gameplay, to make it a prominent prop for the plot to attach to, but that this is being done at the expense of a crucial symbol of the time period is incredibly disappointing, not just to me, but clearly to a great number of people who held faith in Ubisoft's ability to portray historical settings with truth and accuracy. In truth, Odyssey's protagonists may as well have been given a semi-automatic pistol instead, for how badly this decision breaks the image of a truly Peloponnesian Greek experience.

All I can really say at this point - a scant few months before launch - is that I am severely disappointed in the decision to entirely omit shields from Odyssey, and ask that the choice to do so be reviewed again as soon as possible in light of the vocal backlash against it from so many of your otherwise highly-engaged and enthusiastic fanbase. Whether we are enough in number to prompt any change is certainly a dubious question, but all the same, it wouldn't be very Greek of us to let overwhelming odds or the threat of failure dissuade us from trying anyway, would it?

EGOdeta
08-07-2018, 10:28 AM
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/264x361q90/921/ZXvMxh.jpg

So, is it really a so big request to add shield this time?
("to maintain true historical accuracy")

It is possible that it was too difficult to add a crossbow to the game in 2007. Ok. I understand. But we write 2018! Nowadays it is an expectable feature, especially a year after they released a game which in player was able to use shields.
Or the historical accuracy does not matter anymore? Only the income?

Grayfox-87-
08-07-2018, 11:16 AM

It is possible that it was too difficult to add a crossbow to the game in 2007. Ok. I understand. But we write 2018! Nowadays it is an expectable feature, especially a year after they released a game which in player was able to use shields.

Thats true - the same thing are with the Beard/Hair Options...Ubi allways add 5 new Features into the Game and cancel 4 of them into the new game :/
@UBI give us just the OPTION too choose...

MnemonicSyntax
08-07-2018, 05:17 PM

This would be a valid point if no one had a shield, but they do exist in the game for the Spartans and other members of Greek society.

"Historical accuracy" goes out the window when the character you play as is fictional anyway.

As for the income comment, that doesn't even make sense. It's not like they're charging extra for shields or keeping it behind a paywall.

Thats true - the same thing are with the Beard/Hair Options...Ubi allways add 5 new Features into the Game and cancel 4 of them into the new game :/
@UBI give us just the OPTION too choose...

The beard and hair for Bayek was an accident debugging option left in the game and found by a player, so they added it in. I'd hardly call that a "new feature" when it wasn't intended in the first place.

joelsantos24
08-07-2018, 06:56 PM
So, historical accuracy was relevant for the (fictional) character Altaïr, but it isn't for the (fictional) character Kassandra/Alexios... :rolleyes:

MnemonicSyntax
08-07-2018, 07:20 PM
So, historical accuracy was relevant for the (fictional) character Altaïr, but it isn't for the (fictional) character Kassandra/Alexios... :rolleyes:

It... still doesn't lessen my point any further.

You sure do love to twist things to fit your narrative. :rolleyes:

A better argument would be why there wasn't any shields used in AC1. Everyone had them. Altair having a crossbow wouldn't make sense because he's the only one that has it.

Again, powerful spear artifact > shield. If the spear was a real POE and granted such powers, it doesn't matter what history or time period they're in, they'd pick the spear because it's more powerful.

Considering we're using a "fictional POE" over a shield, the entire point was that our hero is far more fictional than Altair. But sure, whatever you say.

cawatrooper9
08-07-2018, 07:34 PM
I get the point that ancient Hellenistic people used shields as an integral part of their warfare (and honestly, I wish the game had shields, too), but I'm not sure it's really fair to say that it's historically inaccurate for someone to fight without one either.

joelsantos24
08-07-2018, 08:29 PM
I get the point that ancient Hellenistic people used shields as an integral part of their warfare (and honestly, I wish the game had shields, too), but I'm not sure it's really fair to say that it's historically inaccurate for someone to fight without one either.
Well, I suppose that the point here, is the fact that no warrior fought without one, back in that time period. Someone mentioned Altaïr, and really the rest of the Assassin Order, to be exact, as example(s) of warriors who didn't carry or use shields in battle. However, Assassins aren't warriors, or at least, they're not conventional ones. Their purpose is to be utterly inconspicuous. Additionally, as AC1 taught us, Assassins had to strike their target and get away as fast and as efficiently as possible. It still troubles me, to think of Ezio, while in a full suit of heavy armour, mind you, climbing and jumping off buildings, in Brotherhood.

It's one thing to carry weapons, such as swords, daggers or small pieces of light armour. In Medieval times, many people carried these, especially travellers. It's not about being accurate or inaccurate, it's just simply forced. They wanted the spear of Leónidas to be the secondary weapon, one way or another, and in that context, the shield had to go. People talk about sense or rationality, but there're none in this decision. It's Ubisoft's choice, like it or not, and that choice is taken.

It's just sad and unfortunate (not to mention slightly hypocritical), really, that for such a company bent on giving players more choices (even when these have no room or place in the series), they kept the shields off that list. Ironic.

MnemonicSyntax
08-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Well, I suppose that the point here, is the fact that no warrior fought without one, back in that time period. Someone mentioned Altaïr, and really the rest of the Assassin Order, to be exact, as example(s) of warriors who didn't carry or use shields in battle. However, Assassins aren't warriors, or at least, they're not conventional ones. Their purpose is to be utterly inconspicuous.

It's one thing to carry weapons, such as swords, daggers or small pieces of light armour. In Medieval times, many people carried these, especially travellers. It's not about being accurate or inaccurate, it's just simply forced. They wanted the spear of Leónidas to be the secondary weapon, one way or another, and in that context, the shield had to go. It's not about sense or rationality, there're none in this decision. It's Ubisoft's choice, like it or not, and that choice is done.

It's just sad and unfortunate (not to mention slightly hypocritical), that for such a company bent on giving players more choices, they kept the shields off that list. Ironic.

That's not the definition of irony.

This entire game revolves around a POE, it's use and the relation to the Isu. I would hardly call it being hypocritical with choice when there is a creative vision involved being the entire purpose of the game.

It's like you're complaining what the game is about and saying it's hypocritical because you can also do other things in the game. To me, that's a bonus. An addition, not a subtraction.

Yes, there's choices. But some of these choices are things that are the purpose of the game.

ProdiGurl
08-08-2018, 01:38 AM

We've been reading alot of negative posts that the Ubi team is veering too far away from the AC brand - we read those complaints when Black Flag released, Origins & esp. Odyssey previews.
So to call this hypocrisy now when they've announced they're changing things up for AC after 10 yrs really isn't accurate. It would be hypocritical if the same team has been staying true to the AC brand from the first release and was avoiding shields - or whatever else from past games.

EGOdeta
08-08-2018, 07:07 AM
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
(Except of having a shield. :p )

joelsantos24
08-08-2018, 10:30 AM
Yeah, well, apparently, criticism is negative and disagreement (with certain people) is disrespect... Same old, same old. :rolleyes:

Anyway, at the very least, Ubisoft should include the shield as an option for whomever would be interested. That way, these players could use the spear of Leónidas as a sidearm.

FlyingMan78
08-08-2018, 04:57 PM
While I agree that there should be at least the option to use offensive/defensive combat, if Ubisoft wants the full RPG route, I see the point of not using them. The spear gives all the fun stuff this game needs, other than just hitting with the shield or pushing people with it, and it's more versatile. Pushing is more fun with a straight kick to the chest, don't you agree?. Also, defending yourself is covered with the parrying mechanic. Besides, this game involves submerging into bodies of water, I can't see the protagonists diving with a huge shield on their backs. Of course, they couldn't possibly dive either, wearing full armor and armed to the teeth, ha! Oh well...
If not wearing a shield breaks the immersion for you, if you want, you could imagine a story for them as I do, like they arrived to their home country from a world-traveling journey that lasted all their youths, having mastered hand-to-hand combat, like Xena. Now that I think of it, Xena didn't use a shield, and she WAS greek! Just kidding.

People, wait until you get your hands on the game, maybe you'll have enough fun to forget you ever needed a shield.

Just a thought.

EGOdeta
08-09-2018, 12:48 PM
While I agree that there should be at least the option to use offensive/defensive combat, if Ubisoft wants the full RPG route, I see the point of not using them.

Well, I don't see the point, why RPG route would incompatible with defensive combat.
By the way: Fighting with shield in Origins wasn't as defensive at all. It wasn't enough to hold the 'sield' button for defence. Most of the enemies could easily brake your defence if you did not pushed the 'parry' button in the right moment. Soo it wasn't just hiding behind a shield.

Pushing is more fun with a straight kick to the chest, don't you agree?

Ok. 'Spartan kick' was a spectacular movement in 300. OCNE! But using it all the time in a frequency of 2-3 seconds it is just a pitiful thing.

I can't see the protagonists diving with a huge shield on their backs.

Just see origins. (Even if Bayeks shield wasn't as big, it would make swimming impossible in reality. Just like as any parts of a plate armour.)

Olympus2018
08-09-2018, 03:00 PM
So, all the enemies will bear a shield except the Assassin!

cawatrooper9
08-09-2018, 03:06 PM
So, all the enemies will bear a shield except the Assassin!

Definitely not all enemies, but some do.

MnemonicSyntax
08-10-2018, 12:38 AM
Behind the Odyssey episode 2 talks about combat more and it's really exciting! Cannot wait for this game!

EGOdeta
08-10-2018, 12:55 PM
About the gameplay videos: Am I the only one who is bothered by the spear of Leonidas floating in the air on Cassandra's back? I mean twenty centimetres behind her back, without any physical connection? And the weapons are just simply vanishing in every cutscenes?

I am more and more confident about that I will not spend a cent on Assassin’s Creed any more.

The worst thing is: There will be always enough dumb four graders who will make their parents buy the games. So developers don’t need to care anymore about the quality of their games. The only thing that matters is the new game is newer, and it has a slightly better graphics. (And the controllable character has to be fast as hell, or the most impatient players will get bored too soon.) This way sales will always be good enough…

I am not a dissatisfied type. I have accepted many things. I was loyal to the series, when it moved to the American storyline, I was loyal, when open combat became the dominant against stealth, I was loyal, when the story moved away from the assassin brotherhood, I was loyal, when the graphical motor has been changed and Unity has been released with full of bugs, I was loyal, when the most unpopular Syndicate came out. To be honest, I loved them all.

But this amount of surrealistic elements is far too much for me:
- Spartan kick with superhero power?
- No shield in ancient Greece? (But we can have a super spearhead artefact instead.)
- Ability to grab the defending enemies shield and throw it a hundred meters away?
- Sailing ships that are faster than a motorboat from racing class?
- Jumping attack from the height of five floors, and exposition on impact that throws a dozen enemies away?

It is more like a superhero movie from the bad type, than a history based game.
Does the nice graphics really worth so much??

Farewell Assassin’s Creed! It was nice to know you. Rest in peace. :-(

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/579x377q90/923/2Im7ac.jpg

joelsantos24
08-10-2018, 01:24 PM
About the gameplay videos: Am I the only one who is bothered by the spear of Leonidas floating in the air on Cassandra's back? I mean twenty centimetres behind her back, without any physical connection? And the weapons are just simply vanishing in every cutscenes?

I am more and more confident about that I will not spend a cent on Assassin’s Creed any more.

The worst thing is: There will be always enough dumb four graders who will make their parents buy the games. So developers don’t need to care anymore about the quality of their games. The only thing that matters is the new game is newer, and it has a slightly better graphics. (And the controllable character has to be fast as hell, or the most impatient players will get bored too soon.) This way sales will always be good enough…

I am not a dissatisfied type. I have accepted many things. I was loyal to the series, when it moved to the American storyline, I was loyal, when open combat became the dominant against stealth, I was loyal, when the story moved away from the assassin brotherhood, I was loyal, when the graphical motor has been changed and Unity has been released with full of bugs, I was loyal, when the most unpopular Syndicate came out. To be honest, I loved them all.

But this amount of surrealistic elements is far too much for me:
- Spartan kick with superhero power?
- No shield in ancient Greece? (But we can have a super spearhead artefact instead.)
- Ability to grab the defending enemies shield and throw it a hundred meters away?
- Sailing ships that are faster than a motorboat from racing class?
- Jumping attack from the height of five floors, and exposition on impact that throws a dozen enemies away?

It is more like a superhero movie from the bad type, than a history based game.
Does the nice graphics really worth so much??

Farewell Assassin’s Creed! It was nice to know you. Rest in peace. :-(

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/579x377q90/923/2Im7ac.jpg
Honestly, I do understand your point, I agree with it. But on the other hand, you can't really ask for high quality games, especially from Ubisoft, when these are part of a "games as service" business model (or agenda). It is what it is. And you're right, the only effective way of protest, is with our wallets.

FlyingMan78
08-10-2018, 03:16 PM
So sorry to remind you, or tell you in case you didn't know, but Assassin's Creed is a SCI-FI story at heart. Do you find people doing parkour with God-knows-how-many layers of clothing, plus weaponry more believable , or the haystack jumps or (I love this one) the story of the origin of mankind, which tells that we descend from a race of superadvanced proto-humans? Or the magical machine, that lets its user jump back in time through DNA? And more that I can't think of right now...

And you said it yourself, so eloquently: It's a GAME BASED in real history. That's the first thing that you see when you load the game (apart from the Ubi logo) . There aren't Hashishins or Knights Templar nowadays, and certainly not before or after the Middle Ages.
So what if there are fantastic elements? Movies, TV series, books and yes, videogames sacrifice realism all the time in the sake of entertainment. Do you find them less fun for it?
For example, Braveheart is a great movie, and so historically incorrect.

You have to have a little suspension of disbelief when you approach these games. Give Odyssey a chance, maybe you'll have enough fun to forget your hunger of historical accuracy. But, if realism is really your thing, try Kingdom Come. I haven't played it myself, I'm the opposite of you, I like fantasy in my games. :p

By the way, I'm not a fourth grader since a long time, and certainly I can pay for my own games, and I don't think myself as "dumb". So no need to categorize people who like this new approach to Assassin's Creed that way.

Ok. 'Spartan kick' was a spectacular movement in 300. OCNE! But using it all the time in a frequency of 2-3 seconds it is just a pitiful thing.

Maybe for you, but I just can't wait to play some football with these fools! :cool:

Honestly, I do understand your point, I agree with it. But on the other hand, you can't really ask for high quality games, especially from Ubisoft, when these are part of a "games as service" business model (or agenda). It is what it is. And you're right, the only effective way of protest, is with our wallets.

Ubisoft has flaws, no doubt of that, but they always deliver great quality entertainment at least for me, much more than the overrated Rockstar.

joelsantos24
08-10-2018, 05:49 PM
Ubisoft has flaws, no doubt of that, but they always deliver great quality entertainment at least for me, much more than the overrated Rockstar.
It is one thing to have flaws, it is another to be flawed. We're not arguing tastes, here. You may say that you prefer AC to the likes of The Last of Us, Uncharted, Bloodborne, God of War, etc, etc, etc. That's your prerogative. You just can't say that it's better. For instance, AC is just not cut out to be Game of the Year material. Never was and never will be. You know that, I know that, we all know that. Quality acknowledgement, isn't a matter of personal preference. You just see it. An overwhelming example: does anyone doubt that God of War will be this year's Game of the Year? Not likely. And why is that?

https://scontent.fopo2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/30725095_1956363224405082_7630193629671194624_n.pn g?_nc_cat=0&oh=1003252c20eb79dd1a06fa711679e96b&oe=5C11D488

Olympus2018
08-10-2018, 06:51 PM
It is one thing to have flaws, it is another to be flawed. We're not arguing tastes, here. You may say that you prefer AC to the likes of The Last of Us, Uncharted, Bloodborne, God of War, etc, etc, etc. That's your prerogative. You just can't say that it's better. For instance, AC is just not cut out to be Game of the Year material. Never was and never will be. You know that, I know that, we all know that. Quality acknowledgement, isn't a matter of personal preference. You just see it. An overwhelming example: does anyone doubt that God of War will be this year's Game of the Year? Not likely. And why is that?

https://scontent.fopo2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/30725095_1956363224405082_7630193629671194624_n.pn g?_nc_cat=0&oh=1003252c20eb79dd1a06fa711679e96b&oe=5C11D488

God of War is overrated. IT is a huge destruction of Greek mythology and unlike AC Odyssey it is linear, no open world there... The setting is utterly unreal too, unlike AC Odyssey. It is also boring for me. I tried to play God of War and just abandoned it. Kratos could never kill Ares, let alone Zeus or any other Olympian deity in Greek mythology. The combat system is also worse than AC Origins or Odyssey. The landscape does not resemble ancient Greece either. Especially Mt. Olympus. Odyssey on the other hand, even though it is a fictional game, it does portray a reconstruction of what ancient Greece really was....Not 100% of course but it is close.

The latest GoW is a complete joke. Kratos goes North? To do what? Drink a beer with Thor and Odin? Seriously?

Olympus2018
08-10-2018, 07:44 PM
To be honest, lack of a shield for the protagonist is the only main issue that I have with Odyssey. Other than this, the game looks promising...

joelsantos24
08-10-2018, 07:58 PM
God of War is overrated. IT is a huge destruction of Greek mythology and unlike AC Odyssey it is linear, no open world there... The setting is utterly unreal too, unlike AC Odyssey. It is also boring for me. I tried to play God of War and just abandoned it. Kratos could never kill Ares, let alone Zeus or any other Olympian deity in Greek mythology. The combat system is also worse than AC Origins or Odyssey. The landscape does not resemble ancient Greece either. Especially Mt. Olympus. Odyssey on the other hand, even though it is a fictional game, it does portray a reconstruction of what ancient Greece really was....Not 100% of course but it is close.

The latest GoW is a complete joke. Kratos goes North? To do what? Drink a beer with Thor and Odin? Seriously?
https://media.giphy.com/media/27EhcDHnlkw1O/giphy.gif

MnemonicSyntax
08-10-2018, 08:45 PM

Yeah, that's about how I feel about every single one of your posts.

You force-feed your opinion down the throat of others to the point of telling them they're wrong if they don't agree with you, or you insult them. If they say something you don't agree with, you post this image because you can't just accept the opinion of others.

This is a discussion forum. It seems you can't handle it being a discussion which is varying opinion. And you try to come across as the victim?

Man up Joel, because the problem you have with others actually starts with you.

Olympus2018
08-10-2018, 09:08 PM

Well, 2 people liked my post so far. Your post on the other hand has received zero likes so far.... So perhaps your opinion is not that popular???

By the way, this image verification thing before I can post anything.... Will it ever stop?

FlyingMan78
08-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Words like "better" or "game of the year" don't mean anything to me. Everything is subjective. I don't have to like a game just because it has amazing reviews and it's very popular. Grades in reviews or technical advancements are not the first things that I look for when I buy a game. That's where subjetiveness enters here. I just look first for good ENTERTAINMENT adjusted to my taste. If a 10/10 game like in this case just doesn't click with me, it doesn't matter that it runs at 60 frames or it's showed with ultra-mega-resolution, or has an amazing cinematographic story. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate a great story or the detail and taste showed in the world of a game. I really do. I appreciate very much the work showed in Odyssey. That's why I don't get why people just knickpick things like the gap between a bow and the protagonist's back. Don't they see the ambience, the sea waves and textures, the vivid colours, the landmarks, the buildings, the BIGGER picture? I don't think they are copy-pasted or randomly generated. I think there are people behind, modeling and texturing and spending evenings and nights giving detail to this world.

With those things in mind, Ubisoft almost always delivered for me.

joelsantos24
08-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Well, 2 people liked my post so far. Your post on the other hand has received zero likes so far.... So perhaps your opinion is not that popular???

By the way, this image verification thing before I can post anything.... Will it ever stop?
I don't measure merit or validity of arguments by something so shallow as "likes".

The unprecedented support and glorification that God of War received, was quite literally global and it included practically every developer and publisher in the industry, including the head of Playstation's greatest rival, Xbox; and it was, indeed, so massive and overwhelming, that either the world is suffering from reality-defying mass hysteria, or it's actually legitimate. I'm inclined to believe the latter.

Moreover, I said that I wasn't discussing personal tastes. Saying that God of War doesn't resonate with you, is the same as saying that Rockstar and it's GTAV are overrated, as FlyingMan78 claimed in post #179, even despite the success of the publisher and the game being absolutely massive and defying the sheer validity of the statement, to say the least. Personal tastes are personal tastes, and nothing can challenge or argue with those. But as I pointed out, quality acknowledgement surpasses personal opinions, inclinations or affiliations, as the reviews, scores and massive glorification of God of War proved. When quality is so absolutely sweeping and shattering, as in the case of God of War, you just admit the fact and bow to it, even when you're the head of the publisher's greatest rival (https://gamerant.com/xbox-heads-congratulate-sony-god-of-war/).

Olympus2018
08-10-2018, 09:42 PM
I don't measure merit or validity of arguments by something so shallow as "likes".

The unprecedented support and glorification that God of War received, was quite literally global and it included practically every developer and publisher in the industry, including the head of Playstation's greatest rival, Xbox; and it was, indeed, so massive and overwhelming, that either the world is suffering from reality-defying mass hysteria, or it's actually legitimate. I'm inclined to believe the latter.

Moreover, I said that I wasn't discussing personal tastes. Saying that God of War doesn't resonate with you, is the same as saying that Rockstar and it's GTAV are overrated, as FlyingMan78 claimed in post #179, even despite the success of the publisher and the game being absolutely massive and defying the sheer validity of the statement, to say the least. Personal tastes are personal tastes, and nothing can challenge or argue with those. But as I pointed out, quality acknowledgement surpasses personal opinions, as the reviews, scores and massive glorification of God of War proved. When quality is so absolutely sweeping and shattering, as in the case of God of War, you just admit the fact and bow to it, even when you're the head of the publisher's greatest rival (https://gamerant.com/xbox-heads-congratulate-sony-god-of-war/).

You make no sense, whatsoever. The way you look at reality is almost frighteningly selective. You try to count how many people love God of War, forgetting that maybe most games actually dislike this game. I know many games myself and I can tell you this: Most of them love Assassin's Creed and absolutely laugh at God of War. Those into RPG open world games like Witcher or Assassins, cannot tolerate linear games that exist only to butcher ancient Greek mythology in the most childish and ridiculous way.

Perhaps you are not aware but God of War, just like League of Legends has a very young target audience while AC games are more directed at adults who cannot stand Kratos killing Zeus because it is way too ridiculous, not to mention the mediocre gameplay. Assassins Creed has a more mature audience and you can learn a thing or two.

MnemonicSyntax
08-10-2018, 09:48 PM

But you'll do it with numbers?

Olympus2018
08-10-2018, 10:00 PM
joelsantos24, you don't count the likes of my posts but you do count the sales figures behind video games. So, numbers matter to you only when they suit you. I get it now. God of war is an overhyped, well-marketed joke. That's what it really is. Only the latest game is not 100% linear with some limited ability to nagivate in a semi-open world but even then, the plot is totally ludicrous. Kratos could visit the Chinese Wall too. Why didn't he do it? Even better, Kratos vs Predator vs Aliens would make sense too.... If Kratos can meet with Thor, Loki and Odin, anything is possible.

FlyingMan78
08-10-2018, 10:03 PM

Moreover, I said that I wasn't discussing personal tastes. Saying that God of War doesn't resonate with you, is the same as saying that Rockstar and it's GTAV are overrated, as FlyingMan78 claimed in post #179, even despite the success of the publisher and the game being absolutely massive and defying the sheer validity of the statement, to say the least. Personal tastes are personal tastes, and nothing can challenge or argue with those. But as I pointed out, quality acknowledgement surpasses personal opinions, inclinations or affiliations, as the reviews, scores and massive glorification of God of War proved. When quality is so absolutely sweeping and shattering, as in the case of God of War, you just admit the fact and bow to it, even when you're the head of the publisher's greatest rival (https://gamerant.com/xbox-heads-congratulate-sony-god-of-war/).

I shouldn't have used the word "overrated", to like a game or not can't be a more personal matter. I just meant to say that while others and many more may love a game, I just don't have to, just because of they do. God of War is an astounding example of personal opinions coinciding in something, I'll give you that. GTA V, as beloved as it is, disappointed me big time.

But I don't understand yet why you brought all this discussion. I was just pointing out that Ubisoft almost always delivers for me, I wasn't measuring people's taste in games. I didn't mean to anyway.

joelsantos24
08-10-2018, 10:06 PM
You make no sense, whatsoever. The way you look at reality is almost frighteningly selective. You try to count how many people love God of War, forgetting that maybe most games actually dislike this game. I know many games myself and I can tell you this: Most of them love Assassin's Creed and absolutely laugh at God of War. Those into RPG open world games like Witcher or Assassins, cannot tolerate linear games that exist only to butcher ancient Greek mythology in the most childish and ridiculous way.

Perhaps you are not aware but God of War, just like League of Legends has a very young target audience while AC games are more directed at adults who cannot stand Kratos killing Zeus because it is way too ridiculous, not to mention the mediocre gameplay. Assassins Creed has a more mature audience and you can learn a thing or two.
Sense? LOOL. I could say the same about you. For instance, all my friends love God of war, and we're all between 25-36 years old. So, I think it's safe to say that we clearly live in different "realities". To each, his own, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Seriously? "Most gamers actually dislike God of War"? Well, God of War (a PS4 exclusive!) surpassed the 5 million copies sold, just in the first month after release (http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/25/god-of-war-sales-top-5-million-in-the-first-month). On the other hand, and if you go to VGChartz.com, for example, and search for Origins, you'll learn that it sold around 6 million copies from release and until now (on PS4, X1 and PC). So, it looks like your claims don't really add up with the numbers.

Anyway, to conclude, I'm not going to further this discussion with you, because it's going nowhere. I've presented my arguments and data, and I feel I've done enough.

cawatrooper9
08-10-2018, 10:11 PM
So almost everyone here has acknowledged at least once how enjoyment of a game can be subjective.

Let's all realize that this also applies to other people as well, and move on. Cheers!

Olympus2018
08-10-2018, 10:21 PM
Back in 2014, the AC series was already very successful.

https://g.foolcdn.com/image/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fg.foolcdn.com%2Feditorial%2Fima ges%2F142157%2Fimage7.jpg&w=700&op=resize

Look at 2015

https://i.imgur.com/bhWo4Bp.jpg

In 2016, AC really took off.....

Assassin's Creed – ~11.28 million units sold
Assassin's Creed II – ~11.36 million units sold
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood – ~6.92 million units sold
Assassin's Creed: Revelations – ~9.18 million units sold
Assassin's Creed III – ~13.05 million units sold
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag – ~12.72 million units sold
Assassins Creed: Unity– ~7.66 million units sold
Assassin's Creed: Rogue – ~2.38 million units sold
Assassin's Creed Syndicate – ~4.12 million units ​sold
Read more at http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/12253-ubisofts-assassins-creed-hiatus-is-a-300-million-dollar-investment-for-franchises-future#Yq0T0cfilUi4eKQJ.99

Olympus2018
08-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Assassin’s Creed: Origins was the third best-selling game in the Europe and Middle East region in 2017, and average player time is expected to almost double that for Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate in 2015.

EGOdeta
08-10-2018, 10:57 PM
Yeah, that's about how I feel about every single one of your posts.

You force-feed your opinion down the throat of others to the point of telling them they're wrong if they don't agree with you, or you insult them. If they say something you don't agree with, you post this image because you can't just accept the opinion of others.

This is a discussion forum. It seems you can't handle it being a discussion which is varying opinion. And you try to come across as the victim?

Man up Joel, because the problem you have with others actually starts with you.

Man! You do nothing just mocking everyone, who try to give reasons to support this topic.
You are the one, who insult and judge people and the whole topic here.

This topic was started by people, who would like to have shields in Odyssey to gain some support from fellow players.
(And it seems there are quite many of us.)

All of your comments tells that you are totally against it and you act like your main goal was to prevent any attempt.
What are you doing here anyway?

MnemonicSyntax
08-10-2018, 11:15 PM
Man! You do nothing just mocking everyone, who try to give reasons to support this topic.
You are the one, who insult and judge people and the whole topic here.

This topic was started by people, who would like to have shields in Odyssey to gain some support from fellow players.
(And it seems there are quite many of us.)

All of your comments tells that you are totally against it and you act like your main goal was to prevent any attempt.
What are you doing here anyway?

Posting an opinion. Welcome to an internet forum where discussion and perspective are welcome from all sides, not just the ones that suit you.

As for the insults, I haven't insulted a single person here. Weren't you the guy that got his post edited for insulting me for calling me a fool? And just a while ago talked about "dumb fourth graders who will have their parents buy the games" as some thinly veiled backhanded insult?

Before you judge my posts, read your own. Including the part about shields and how my response to Joel wasn't even on the topic of shields and how it relates to the nonsensical point of your post.

As for MY posts? Take a minute to go back and read mine too. I'm for shields if they can have it be optional. That is my opinion. Other things I post about regarding shields such as modding the game to include shields and saying it's most likely impossible to do so isn't any attempt to sway anyone from trying. It's the truth, and a way to prevent people's hopes from getting up.

As someone with a technical background, when I post something such as modding that I know about, and have worked with extensively, stating the truth isn't anything but that.

I don't know what your problem is, but on these forums having differing opinions is perfectly fine and no rules are being broken on my end.

I've been here for nearly a decade, so please, spare me trying to explain how things "work" around here, because I've done it far longer than you have.

EGOdeta
08-11-2018, 10:48 AM
Ok. Congratulations for your 'more than a decade'. Enjoy it.

io.Hellenic
08-18-2018, 06:28 PM
did you think they will add dlc for shield or no possibility ?

Olympus2018
08-18-2018, 06:40 PM

I doubt it...

MnemonicSyntax
08-18-2018, 08:05 PM

Personally I don't think so

However, we have received DLC of other characters (Freedom Cry) and DLC of other combat styles (Syndicate) so it's possible and might be a combo of the two.

Not saying this to get your hopes up though, but it is possible.

Edit: If you are asking if the base game will get shields as an optional item as a DLC, I highly doubt it.

RUNE_ER_OPPTATT
09-16-2018, 10:50 PM
Shields in AC Oddessey:

1. Spartans used shields, they couldnt go home without it.
2. Many love films like the 300, what would that film be like, if there were no shields?
3. The games opening lets us replay the final stand of the 300 as king Leonidas himself, but after a short Leonidas throws his shield in a enemy and continues to fight without it::::::::
4. In all clips that i have watched of AC oddessey, our character is dodgeing and rolling all the time. He is also taking a lot of hits all the time. This could be avoided with the option to use a shield. Who the hell loves to roll around and around and around with metal armor on? Who does that?
5. In Shadow of war the rolling etc. was ok, because it worked, but in this game.........

I really hope that fighting with a shield will be added, if not, i really cant see myself buying this game.

"SPARTANS, SHIELD WALL" " OH WAIT,NEVERMIND, THE DEVS TOOK IT OUT".

ProdiGurl
09-16-2018, 10:56 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/amBQZ8LUYpXqg/giphy.gif

NoVa_Erk
09-17-2018, 09:08 AM
They should make LB like in Origins only for blocking if you Equip it for more Defensive gameplay and if you Equip the Leonidas Spear you can get your Feats and specials back. it makes shield not so worth as the Spear but it gives the Opportunity to use shield to block. also they could make shields are brokeable so you have to block wise. they could make it to only carry in fights. some mechanics for it. but not WITHOUT shields in SPARTA. i Removed my Pre Order because of the FACT that they removed Shields. i Loved it. and at the Best Time Period for Shields they remove it. there is no excuse for it that its not in! they could make an OWN skill tree for shields. it costs time but at least i hope they implement it REmoved my Gold Edition Preorder for it.

"he is a mercenarie not a spartan warrior"... really and Bayek Was a MAJJAI and he still had Hidden blade and Shields!! he is an Assassin and had SHIELDS this is no excuse. sry ubisoft but this is not acceptable for ME and there is a Petition for it. so go for it or lose a bunch of Preorders!!

NoVa_Erk
09-17-2018, 09:22 AM
Hmm... a Spartan without a Shield sounds weird, also a Spartan without Beard sounds weird 😥

I don't think they will implant that, that means a completly change for Gameplay!

Ps..: one more thing - I thought they remove the shield because some of this Kids here and on reddit Critism the Shield in Origins, and that's the result we are now got!!!

they even dont need to make it complicated. if you equip a Shield instead of the Leonidas spear they could make it like in Origins. you have no Perks and Skills to activate therefore you have perma block and you can Parry with circle like back in Origins. so you can play classic and you can Play the Advanced way with spartan kick skills and so on!! you will at least decide for the other version bcause of the new Skill Feats but you can at least CHOOSE. its not that hard to implement the OPTION

NoVa_Erk
09-19-2018, 01:55 PM
https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-bring-back-the-shield-for-assassins-creed-odyssey-2a473dd2-8a36-4944-b5ad-92c946c0611f

here is a petition. please join us if you want shield in the game. we make a shoutout. we want this feature and it fits in the Mechanics. please Ubisoft give us a Confirmation for a DLC at the future that you will add this !!

Vemand
09-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Don't let this post die. I really really don't understand why Ubisoft would make a game set in the hellenic time period and not include shields for players, atleast as an option. Maybe it is just lazy design to not develop more than one fighting style. Whatever the reason it is really really dumb. The iconic hellenic shield and spear is what makes this time period cool, and don't tell me you can't make the fighting style seem "cinematic" or "epic" because of shields. The movie 300 did exactly that.

Honelith
09-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Once the reviews start rolling in, there will be alot of negativity for not including shields, which seems to be an oversight on the devs part for not realising how important they were in this timeline perhaps? There's a solid shield system in Origins so I hope they can port it over to Odyssey. o/

Signed that petition also, here's hoping! Looking forward to this game regardless.

Olympus2018
09-20-2018, 10:32 AM
No matter what happens, Odyssey will be the best AC game ever and also the best game in the history of video games. It is just too epic to be true!

EGOdeta
09-20-2018, 12:07 PM
https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-bring-back-the-shield-for-assassins-creed-odyssey-2a473dd2-8a36-4944-b5ad-92c946c0611f

here is a petition. please join us if you want shield in the game. we make a shoutout. we want this feature and it fits in the Mechanics. please Ubisoft give us a Confirmation for a DLC at the future that you will add this !!

Come on guys! Only 362 of us want to fight in Hellenic style in a Hellenic themed game? I simply cannot believe it!
The DLCs have already been announced, so I do not see much chance that there will ever be useable shields in Odyssey… :-(

In my eyes this game worth nothing without a shield.
I hope it is just some kind of well-executed scam to increase the rumour. Or else I will definitely not buy it.

KmarkoPL
09-20-2018, 01:26 PM
Die any one learned from past ?
This stupid petitions do not work !
They are just database for your emails witch then can be sold to other company.

EGOdeta
09-20-2018, 01:51 PM
Die any one learned from past ?
This stupid petitions do not work !
They are just database for your emails witch then can be sold to other company.

Then what else would you suggest?

Kiroku
09-20-2018, 03:21 PM
Then what else would you suggest?

Accept the fact that they wont bring shields. They wont compromise since they want you to fight with the spear of leonidas.

I mean think about it. Its not like implementing a shield so we can fight with it. They also need to change the whole skill tree and bring skills for the shield aswell then. The effort is way to big to bring it at this point. Deal with it. As hard as it sounds I would love to fight with a shield too but thats reality.

io.Hellenic
09-20-2018, 04:03 PM
thats the choice you can made you can have sex, with man or woman, you can choice character, choice 2wood hand totaly usseless ! you can choice what ever you want :D they said !

but you cant choice if you want fight with shield or not because people believe the shield is bad ! so why they fight with shield if they dont love its like televesion people when they dont love this or thats !they dont change the channel they blame ! and look whats happend the stupidity of people make the game like this !

but if you love the shield and the fight like old greek warrior you cant !!!! no shield NO CHOICE ! but you have choice ! ( ubisoft stop lie its bad )

make skill to be true if they just make the shield without any DLC OR PAID YOUR SHIELD thats the dream ! but they will not if they implant the shield ! get ready paypall !! money money !

are you see how they realy dont care about your opinion :) its because you choice thats !!!!

ProdiGurl
09-20-2018, 04:39 PM
I don't get poison darts or a choice for them - so what. No hidden blade either, it's replaced by Leonidas' Spear.
Play with what you have, there will be plenty and there's tons of choices including the skill tree.
They can't & won't give everyone the choice of everything that's been offered in past games. They cannot make everything for everyone as if we all get a custom game just for all our preferences.
Maybe it will be in DLC ?

EGOdeta
09-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Accept the fact that they wont bring shields. They wont compromise since they want you to fight with the spear of leonidas.

I mean think about it. Its not like implementing a shield so we can fight with it. They also need to change the whole skill tree and bring skills for the shield aswell then. The effort is way to big to bring it at this point. Deal with it. As hard as it sounds I would love to fight with a shield too but thats reality.

Then Ubisoft will have to accept the fact, many of us will not pay a cent for this game.
I agree that it is too late at this point. It was already too late even at the point, when they announced the game. But I still feel bad about it. It is one of my biggest disappointments in all my gamer life.
Anyone can say anything, about ‘a different fight experience’ but I am sure it will be really frustrating to see a lot of enemies with shields, but do not have the ability to have one.
Playing Odyssey without shield will feel like if we didn’t have a ship in Black Flag.

LxrdXfTheDead
09-21-2018, 01:12 PM
I won't be buying this game without a shield. No way I'm a greek spartan without a shield. No way. I'll go mod skyrim or something.

Kiroku
09-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Then Ubisoft will have to accept the fact, many of us will not pay a cent for this game.
I agree that it is too late at this point. It was already too late even at the point, when they announced the game. But I still feel bad about it. It is one of my biggest disappointments in all my gamer life.
Anyone can say anything, about ‘a different fight experience’ but I am sure it will be really frustrating to see a lot of enemies with shields, but do not have the ability to have one.
Playing Odyssey without shield will feel like if we didn’t have a ship in Black Flag.

I won't be buying this game without a shield. No way I'm a greek spartan without a shield. No way. I'll go mod skyrim or something.

Its totally fine if some people refuse to buy the game. I thought about that too but there was still a lot that motivates me to give it a try.

The thing is. All of you guys are complaining. I do the same sometimes and its okay! But complaining alone doesnt work.

If you guys REALLY care about the AC franchise and its mechanics and so on please start filling out surveys like those from the mentors guild where you can give constructive feedback and your personal opinion about several aspects of the games from the past presence and also for future games! :)

ProdiGurl
09-21-2018, 10:01 PM
If people are boycotting a game beucz of a shield, I don't see that they really cared much about the game itself as it is.
Might as well say 'if naval doesn't have cannons, I won't play the game'. It just means you never really cared about it to begin with.
I just don't get the radical focus on things like that.
I don't get poison darts in this game either - there's plenty of things to keep us busy without them. eh, whatever.

EGOdeta
09-21-2018, 10:51 PM
If people are boycotting a game beucz of a shield, I don't see that they really cared much about the game itself as it is.
Might as well say 'if naval doesn't have cannons, I won't play the game'. It just means you never really cared about it to begin with.
I just don't get the radical focus on things like that.
I don't get poison darts in this game either - there's plenty of things to keep us busy without them. eh, whatever.

Sorry, but I think you don’t see the point. This all question of shields is a crucial thing about this game.

In Ancient Greece every single warrior had a shield, but no ship had any cannons (because they were not jet invented at that time). So it would be even worse if the naval had cannons in the game.
I did care a lot about AC games. So much that I cannot stand the ignoring of historical accuracy this time.

I feel terribly sorry for the developer team. I would feel awful in their place now. 99,9% of them always did an amazing job. (Creating the fantastic historically accurate environment in each episode of the game, creating hilarious movements both in climbing, parkour, and fighting, and many-many other things…) And it seems like someone (maybe some directors? game designers? doesn’t matter) made an awful decision above their head, and put out one of the most important element of the historical environment. It is a so tinny thing, but to not being able to use a shield during combat will ruin the whole ‘ancient Greece’ experience.

ProdiGurl
09-22-2018, 12:31 AM
I do get it, I just disagree w/ the level of fanaticism it's gotten to. Yes, AC is historical, but it's not EXACT history. Ubi always fudges with historic content and improvises with it.
If this was a 300 Sparta game, then I'd agree w/ all this & want that shield. But it's not.

Did the Spartans have a POE - broken spear of Leonidas too? We have a 1st Civ artifact in the shield's place, and we have a Sparta kick that does what a Shield would do in pushing enemies back.

People usually obsess on things they can't have - it's our nature and I've seen it in this forum for years.
I just think this is overblown. No hate here on anyone, I just don't agree =)

quanzaizai
09-22-2018, 12:53 AM
Well limited gameplay and removing things is like a bad habit of Ubisoft Quebec lol. Remember when syndicate doesn't allow you to free jumping and droping from high place? Or they don't allow you to have the hood on? Now they just completly remove shield, blocking, haystack, hiding closet and tools. Also I noticed that some little ingame details which were great in ACO are removed too. Man this developer team has some serious issue.
All the thing they introduce in the game is good, I dont criticize it at all.

ProdiGurl
09-22-2018, 01:38 AM
In the name of changing things up, I can agree with them removing some things from past games - this would be a logical time setting to do that in being 400 yrs earlier than even Origins.
My expectation is that we will have more than enough weapons, new things like the spear & sparta kick & abilities to keep us busy and hopefully happy.
I normally never use the closets to hide in, ... some of that stuff doesn't matter to me at all. Some fresh new stuff in its place would be nice.
I won't know how much I miss until I actually play it.
Waiting to see.

pooter1111
09-22-2018, 03:07 AM
Nah, we are of spartan decent but we are mercenaries and assassins. Never liked how you used a shield in origins. Well in all fairness I didn’t like origins.

Odyssey is going to be way better by far. From what I have read it is bring out all of the best parts and leaving behind the worst parts. Can’t wait for October 2nd(blind king mission) then oct 5th of course 👍

MaidenOfMayhemz
09-25-2018, 05:52 PM

Why was this choice made by the devs and not the community? What happened to player freedom and choice? I know that many players do not enjoy using shields and this is not intended to start a argument. But players like myself would love to have a shield. If the devs were smart or not even lazy, they would know that in history, mainly ancient Greece, a shield was not just for defense... It was a offensive tool of war that was probably more valuable than their swords and spears. I do not like the fact that the reason for them not adding shield was to force us to play how they choose, I do not like being forced to duel weild a sword with that stupid spear head. This is where player freedom and our choices are taken from us. We all as a community have limited choices as to how we will play. I'm sure there's plenty of player who will disagree and that is perfectly fine. But I also know, I am one of thousands of players who will rather have a shield over that awful spear. I will not buy the game as it is my choice, I will not support a game company that chooses to restrict the players and play how they want when they claim we as players have freedom of choice in AC Odyssey when in plain truth we do not. Yes I know, I'm ranting and probably to some of your opinions crying. But tbh I am simply stating the actual truth and facts of this choice Ubi has made and their statement on the issue. I also simply voiced my opinions and feelings on the matter and you all as players in the community have that same freedom until Ubi takes that to

NoVa_Erk
09-26-2018, 11:27 AM

you cant block only DODGE and Parry!!

NoVa_Erk
09-26-2018, 11:36 AM
give me that shield in this game and i will buy gold and every ****in weapon purchaseable in this game. if not i will stick with origins and pass this one. waiting for RDR 2 and Black ops 4. till RDR2 i play origins and DLCs and IF they do give a Confirmation to bring an Update for Shield later on that Alexios will be Trained with a small dlc or stuff this i would appreciate and will buy it with Gold Editions and Stuff again. i want to play like I want and not how YOU wanted to Force me. even at least make the Shield playable after Picking up from the Ground. for some HIts or Arrows to block like AC 2 where we could carry two handed weapons for the Combat!! give us a possibility to use them

Harout1989
09-26-2018, 11:44 AM
Indeed I really think that we should have the choice and be able to choose if we want to use the shield or not.

For example if we decide to use the shield, then we cannot use certain weapons and/or our weapon inflict less damage.

I hope you will take your customer's opinion in consideration especially now that this thread has 23 pages it means something!

EGOdeta
09-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Indeed I really think that we should have the choice and be able to choose if we want to use the shield or not.

For example if we decide to use the shield, then we cannot use certain weapons and/or our weapon inflict less damage.

I hope you will take your customer's opinion in consideration especially now that this thread has 23 pages it means something!

23 pages –so far... And the game is not even released yet.
At this point only those ‘hardcore AC players’ write comments in this topic, who accidentally met a video or article about this issue, and really would like to have shield in the game.
Most of the future players now just watch the trailers, and they only pay attention to the graphics and the story. They don’t even think about weapons at this point.
After release it will spread in no time that players cannot use shields and there will be a lot more outraged AC fan.
The problem is: that will be too late to do any changes in the game.

To put in useable shields would be a small thing compared to producing the whole game, but the lack of it can ruin the whole ‘Ancient Greece’ feeling. It will make a lot of people disappointed… thousands of negative comments and reviews… falling sales…

datAssassin2018
09-26-2018, 06:18 PM
I do get it, I just disagree w/ the level of fanaticism it's gotten to. Yes, AC is historical, but it's not EXACT history. Ubi always fudges with historic content and improvises with it.
If this was a 300 Sparta game, then I'd agree w/ all this & want that shield. But it's not.

Did the Spartans have a POE - broken spear of Leonidas too? We have a 1st Civ artifact in the shield's place, and we have a Sparta kick that does what a Shield would do in pushing enemies back.

People usually obsess on things they can't have - it's our nature and I've seen it in this forum for years.
I just think this is overblown. No hate here on anyone, I just don't agree =)

That level of fanatism is actually good because if more people complain about it, maybe we will see a change(but it's unlikely).

This game is pretty much a 300 game. There are Spartan kicks and the opening is similar to the movie so I would expect to be able to fight with a shield.

Sorry but nobody is obsessed. We are just dissapointed by their stupid decision. Do you know how excited I was when the leaks said the next game is set in ancient Greece? I'm a fan of ancient history and I couldn't wait for E3 2018 to learn more about the game. Then I learnt that we won't be able to use a shield and all my enthusiasm faded.

datAssassin2018
09-26-2018, 06:19 PM
In the name of changing things up, I can agree with them removing some things from past games - this would be a logical time setting to do that in being 400 yrs earlier than even Origins.
My expectation is that we will have more than enough weapons, new things like the spear & sparta kick & abilities to keep us busy and hopefully happy.
I normally never use the closets to hide in, ... some of that stuff doesn't matter to me at all. Some fresh new stuff in its place would be nice.
Waiting to see.

Yes it's good to make changes but they removed something that should have been in the game. They could have added usable shields in the first place even if the spear of Leonidas is tied to abilities and the story but they didn't. They completely ignored the people that enjoyed shield combat in Origins and fans of historical authenticity.

datAssassin2018
09-26-2018, 06:25 PM
At this point only those ‘hardcore AC players’ write comments in this topic, who accidentally met a video or article about this issue, and really would like to have shield in the game.
Most of the future players now just watch the trailers, and they only pay attention to the graphics and the story. They don’t even think about weapons at this point.
After release it will spread in no time that players cannot use shields and there will be a lot more outraged AC fan.

To put in useable shields would be a small thing compared to producing the whole game, but the lack of it can ruin the whole ‘Ancient Greece’ feeling. It will make a lot of people disappointed… thousands of negative comments and reviews… falling sales…

Exactly, the ancient Greek feeling is ruined. We can travel to ancient Greece but we can't fight in the most iconic way ancient Greeks fought. I will definitely write a negative review on Steam and I won't recommend the game, no matter how good the story is. If they wanted to remove the shield, they should have chosen another era, not ancient Greece.That's dumb on their part.

Olympus2018
09-26-2018, 06:33 PM
Exactly, the ancient Greek feeling is ruined. We can travel to ancient Greece but we can't fight in the most iconic way ancient Greeks fought. I will definitely write a negative review on Steam and I won't recommend the game, no matter how good the story is. If they wanted to remove the shield, they should have chosen another era, not ancient Greece.That's dumb on their part.

The reconstructed depiction of ancient Athens alone, is so good that it made me forgive Ubisoft for the lack of shields!

NoVa_Erk
09-28-2018, 09:38 AM
Waiting to see.

you dont understand the FACT!!

they REMOVED a whole mechanic not only replaced. the Spartan kick is that what you stick on??? omg..... dude i have to say they REMOVED something important. you can see a weapon gear that you cant use. in Origins every type of weapon enemies can Hold i could hold them, too!! axe with shield, spear with shield. double dual swords everything of the TYPES. now, we can watch npcs using a Shield while we cant use them. this is the Fact. we talk about an OPTION not a MUST HAVE. they removed something instead of ADDING new systems. they couls easily implement shields. like shield of leonidas or with new dlc alexios learns to fight after DLC missions and Stuff. they had to replace the SIHIELD slot with the SPEAR. i have TO HOLD a SPEAR on the left hand if i like it or not. i will be forced and no ABILITY like the KICK or TOSSING shields can change this!! this is the Wrong timeline to remove shields!!!!

and instead of Removing they Could add a new mechanic. but no they want us to hold a LEONIDAS ***** in the left hand if we use a one handed weapon. lol.... they just kidding??? we have been forced with shields in origins wow, but this is ok??? you even cant change any other Dagger like weapons to your left hand bcause this slot isnt in the inventory. the Leonidas spear isnt in it!! we cant change it. its ridiculous and a bad choice from quebec

if they want to add VARIETIES of fighting styles they could ADD and not Remove. they took a whole type of playstyle out this is a FORCE to play with that "*****" of Leonidas in the left hand!!

i stick with origins till RDR2 and little bit for honor till Conquerors blade!! so i can use whatever i like !!

sry UBISOFT QUEBEC but you lost one Gold Edition PRe Order customer !! will pass this one !!

NoVa_Erk
09-28-2018, 09:53 AM

how it should ruin this game?

they can implement it at least. if we have no slot they can put a SHIELd SWORD or SHIELD SPEAR as a weapon like dual daggers or something. where the LB is parry and BLOCK but the Shields have a duration of Hold and your DPS will be reduced by 30 Percent or stuff. you can play defensive and make a shield bash as an ability. but with shield you have access to new once. or even as an Ability to pick up one from the ground or HOLD shield toss to not toss it in the faces instead of this to use it and it has a Health if the Shield gets heavy hit it gets destroyed and if so you get stunned or something. there is a possibility to balance it in the game in a FUTURE update!! its not impossible. they dont need to change a whole game. in AC Brotherhood or REvelations you could pick up a Spear and use it with two hands and at the end you could through it. it could make the player slower or something. they cant dodge as fast as without shields or even only get distance with dodge for shields.

i played origins and SHIELDS werent the ultimate turtling tool bcause enemies countered you with shield breaks or heavies or from behind and side. and there were arrow type enemies that can shoot through your shield and make an amount of DAMAGE and it was always a Challenge especially at the hard mode . if you dont like it dont use it !! i could avoid using shields. choose the smallest shield you see and it does not annoy you. but to know you cant use and there are beautiful spartan shields in this game is a kick in the *** !!

Lysette88
09-28-2018, 10:07 AM
The problem with not having a shield is to me, that ranged fighters like archers are a lot more dangerous and I will have to carefully scout out with Ikaros before I'll decide, how to approach a location. It might be more important than in Origins to first care for ranged opponents and silently take them out before going into close combat - otherwise how to defend against arrows and fire damage? (in Origins I had a shield with fire protection by that reason)

In a way it looks a bit silly to me, the enemies have larger shields then ever before and our protagonist isn't using one?- This will not make me fight more aggressively, but be more careful in how to approach my target - it will not be more active, but require a lot more patience to finally find the right spot and the right time to first eliminate all, who can be taken out silently and then go for an all out assault with the fastest blades possible basically - beating the crap out of those still standing - not really what I want to do, but how else can I possibly do it then?

ProdiGurl
09-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Well limited gameplay and removing things is like a bad habit of Ubisoft Quebec lol. Remember when syndicate doesn't allow you to free jumping and droping from high place? Or they don't allow you to have the hood on? Now they just completly remove shield, blocking, haystack, hiding closet and tools. Also I noticed that some little ingame details which were great in ACO are removed too. Man this developer team has some serious issue.
All the thing they introduce in the game is good, I dont criticize it at all.

your reply:
you dont understand the FACT!!

they REMOVED a whole mechanic not only replaced. the Spartan kick is that what you stick on??? omg..... dude i have to say they REMOVED something important. you can see a weapon gear that you cant use. in Origins every type of weapon enemies can Hold i could hold them, too!! axe with shield, spear with shield. double dual swords everything of the TYPES. now, we can watch npcs using a Shield while we cant use them. this is the Fact. we talk about an OPTION not a MUST HAVE. they removed something instead of ADDING new systems. they couls easily implement shields. like shield of leonidas or with new dlc alexios learns to fight after DLC missions and Stuff. they had to replace the SIHIELD slot with the SPEAR. i have TO HOLD a SPEAR on the left hand if i like it or not. i will be forced and no ABILITY like the KICK or TOSSING shields can change this!! this is the Wrong timeline to remove shields!!!!

and instead of Removing they Could add a new mechanic. but no they want us to hold a LEONIDAS ***** in the left hand if we use a one handed weapon. lol.... they just kidding??? we have been forced with shields in origins wow, but this is ok??? you even cant change any other Dagger like weapons to your left hand bcause this slot isnt in the inventory. the Leonidas spear isnt in it!! we cant change it. its ridiculous and a bad choice from quebec

if they want to add VARIETIES of fighting styles they could ADD and not Remove. they took a whole type of playstyle out this is a FORCE to play with that "*****" of Leonidas in the left hand!!

i stick with origins till RDR2 and little bit for honor till Conquerors blade!! so i can use whatever i like !!

sry UBISOFT QUEBEC but you lost one Gold Edition PRe Order customer !! will pass this one !!

I get that you're fanatical about this detail... I'm just saying that's what it looks like to me. I do not understand this level of obsession about it where it will absolutely ruin a game.
You can't understand why it doesn't ruin the game or bother me. fine. So be it. But we used Shields in origins and while I was fine with them, I just didn't fall in love with them. I much prefer holding a POE artifact as a weapon.

As they're continuing new content onto OD & possibly a game extension to OD next year, I'm sure they'll be adding it at some point. I plan of playing both RDR2 & ACOD.
I have a lot of games I want in the next 6+ months and this release Kicks it all off :cool: :D

EGOdeta
09-28-2018, 10:29 AM
they can implement it at least. if we have no slot they can put a SHIELd SWORD or SHIELD SPEAR as a weapon like dual daggers or something. where the LB is parry and BLOCK but the Shields have a duration of Hold and your DPS will be reduced by 30 Percent or stuff. you can play defensive and make a shield bash as an ability. but with shield you have access to new once. or even as an Ability to pick up one from the ground or HOLD shield toss to not toss it in the faces instead of this to use it and it has a Health if the Shield gets heavy hit it gets destroyed and if so you get stunned or something. there is a possibility to balance it in the game in a FUTURE update!! its not impossible. they dont need to change a whole game. in AC Brotherhood or REvelations you could pick up a Spear and use it with two hands and at the end you could through it. it could make the player slower or something. they cant dodge as fast as without shields or even only get distance with dodge for shields.

i played origins and SHIELDS werent the ultimate turtling tool bcause enemies countered you with shield breaks or heavies or from behind and side. and there were arrow type enemies that can shoot through your shield and make an amount of DAMAGE and it was always a Challenge especially at the hard mode . if you dont like it dont use it !! i could avoid using shields. choose the smallest shield you see and it does not annoy you. but to know you cant use and there are beautiful spartan shields in this game is a kick in the *** !!

I absolutely agree with you!
In the ancient world nearly every nation or tribe used shields during combat, but Greek solders were the only one, who did not fight without it.

Many people didn’t like shields in Origins. Well either it was because of the design of it, the control settings, or the fight mechanism; it did not damage the feeling of the era.

Egyptian solders used shields in many cases. According to the wall paintings and reliefs the Egyptian infantry had some kind of ‘upside down U’ shaped shields. However other sources say that not every Egyptian solder had shield. So it was not required, nor denied.

Bayek did not wear traditional Egyptian armour (except of some buyable outfits). He looked like an ordinary traveller, merchant or pedestrian. He was a ‘Medjay’. Protector of the people – bodyguard of the Pharaoh – Peace keeper…
So shield was not required, nor denied.

Cassandra and Alexios wear traditional Greek armour. They are mercenaries and exactly look like Spartan solders. They do require a shield.

Aegis3333
10-03-2018, 05:47 AM
I hope they see this and put shields back in the game asap. Some of us got this game just because we love Ancient Greece, and we want the full Greek experience.

a_ustinl
10-04-2018, 12:22 PM
I can’t even discribe in words how disappointed I am in this game because of the ignorance and/or carelessness of the development team for ignoring the importance of shields and phalanxes in hoplite warfare. I started playing the game and realized there was nothing remotely characteristic of ancient Spartan or Greek warfare in the gameplay. I was so eager and interested to see how Ubisoft would incorporate the Greek style of warfare into the game. If it is going to continue to be just a mass of individual fighting without phalanxes or the use of shields, then I want my money back. What a fraud and a waste. Why did they set the game in this time period if they were just going to recklessly and carelessly ignore the historical details that truly would have made this game unique? I’m sorry, “fluidness” is not an excuse for completely ignoring historical context, as that is the primary reason why we play Assassin’s Creed. I can’t play this nonsense anymore knowing I’m constantly going to be disappointed by the lack of effort by Ubisoft to try to immerse players into a story of the time. Ugh, total waste of money.

ProdiGurl
10-04-2018, 12:26 PM
Why do people buy a full price game when they know there are no Shields to use??? Then complain that they wasted money?
If you buy a game without doing your homework on it, that's also your own fault.
I don't personally care if shields are in it or not, I'll adapt to whatever's there, but people need to take some responsibility when they make purchases of games.

Many people didn’t like shields in Origins. Well either it was because of the design of it, the control settings, or the fight mechanism; it did not damage the feeling of the era.
Yes, I read alot of complaints of disliking shields and I believe that's why they left them out of this game.

EGOdeta
10-04-2018, 12:46 PM
I can’t even discribe in words how disappointed I am in this game because of the ignorance and/or carelessness of the development team for ignoring the importance of shields and phalanxes in hoplite warfare. I started playing the game and realized there was nothing remotely characteristic of ancient Spartan or Greek warfare in the gameplay. I was so eager and interested to see how Ubisoft would incorporate the Greek style of warfare into the game. If it is going to continue to be just a mass of individual fighting without phalanxes or the use of shields, then I want my money back. What a fraud and a waste. Why did they set the game in this time period if they were just going to recklessly and carelessly ignore the historical details that truly would have made this game unique? I’m sorry, “fluidness” is not an excuse for completely ignoring historical context, as that is the primary reason why we play Assassin’s Creed. I can’t play this nonsense anymore knowing I’m constantly going to be disappointed by the lack of effort by Ubisoft to try to immerse players into a story of the time. Ugh, total waste of money.

Thats why I will never buy it.
Maybe if they make a free DLC that will allow players to use shields. Maybe.

kennethdiebold
10-04-2018, 01:10 PM
I’d certainly welcome an update letting us use shields in combat. I think it only improves the game.

Dtheawesome9010
10-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Yea I was thinking last night I REALLY want a Spartan shield in all its glory let me have my Spartan layout and play with this for a bit make me feel like a Spartan.Instead we have no shield as far as i am aware of and so far nothing is really looking good i made it off the island and i can travel by ship now i already got to the Spartans. Still I would kill for the Spartan shield

Dtheawesome9010
10-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Why do people buy a full price game when they know there are no Shields to use??? Then complain that they wasted money?
If you buy a game without doing your homework on it, that's also your own fault.
I don't personally care if shields are in it or not, I'll adapt to whatever's there, but people need to take some responsibility when they make purchases of games.

Yes, I read alot of complaints of disliking shields and I believe that's why they left them out of this game.

Thats why they should be given to us as an option and just because the game has no shield doesnt mean I wont still play it. It would really be nice if they gave us an option to use the shields but dont hold your breath.