PDA

View Full Version : Free Vista Alternative!!



FE_pilot
03-15-2007, 05:25 PM
I found a neat little program that turns your desktop them to look like Windows Vista.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u238/emiljan1991/1.jpg


As you can see it looks very close to Vista except without Aero and other features only found in Vista.

But its a nice alternative and this one will not effect your performance.


Here is the link to download if you chose:

http://www.windows-vista-update.com/Windows_Vista_themes.html

FE_pilot
03-15-2007, 05:25 PM
I found a neat little program that turns your desktop them to look like Windows Vista.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u238/emiljan1991/1.jpg


As you can see it looks very close to Vista except without Aero and other features only found in Vista.

But its a nice alternative and this one will not effect your performance.


Here is the link to download if you chose:

http://www.windows-vista-update.com/Windows_Vista_themes.html

NekoReaperman
03-15-2007, 06:08 PM
which one am i supposed to download? there are like 30

FE_pilot
03-15-2007, 06:09 PM
The very top one.

F19_Orheim
03-15-2007, 06:12 PM
hehe thanx but no thanx http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I use the old win 95 GUI http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif... don't like chrome and stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jarink
03-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Hmm. Mildly interesting.

I still don't understand why people in general are so fascinated with making one OS look like another. There are several ways of making a Windows PC look like OSX, but it doesn't really change anything "under the hood". I don't have any problems with making it look better, as long as there's the understanding that it's not a "Free Vista Alternative". (When I saw the title I was expecting a thread about Linux....)

One of the little-known facts about Windows XP is that it was designed from the start to be skinnable like in FE_pilot's picture. For some weird reason, MS decided to lock down the .dll (uxtheme.dll) that reads the .theme files, thereby locking out pretty much anything but MS-created themes. Many intrepid people have altered this file to remove that ridiculous restriction. I've done it and probably my favorite theme is the "LOTR Gondor" theme.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/jarink/571LOTRTheme.jpg

(edited to show desktop theme pic)

Spinnetti
03-15-2007, 07:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jarink:
Hmm. Mildly interesting.

I still don't understand why people in general are so fascinated with making one OS look like another. There are several ways of making a Windows PC look like OSX, but it doesn't really change anything "under the hood". I don't have any problems with making it look better, as long as there's the understanding that it's not a "Free Vista Alternative". (When I saw the title I was expecting a thread about Linux....)

One of the little-known facts about Windows XP is that it was designed from the start to be skinnable like in FE_pilot's picture. For some weird reason, MS decided to lock down the .dll (uxtheme.dll) that reads the .theme files, thereby locking out pretty much anything but MS-created themes. Many intrepid people have altered this file to remove that ridiculous restriction. I've done it and probably my favorite theme is the "LOTR Gondor" theme.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL.. I thought it was going to be a linux thing too...

I took the sensible approach.. I run OSX! I only flip over (dual boot under "Boot camp") to Play IL2

Chris0382
03-15-2007, 07:28 PM
I want a lean and mean OS thats is stable and works good not one that looks fancy and is bogged down and requires hefty software because it is so fancy looking. MS never got it right.

F19_Orheim
03-15-2007, 07:44 PM
well.. that's why I have it like win95. I have adjusted all visual effects for best performance... ergo no effects http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jarink
03-15-2007, 09:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris0382:
I want a lean and mean OS thats is stable and works good not one that looks fancy and is bogged down and requires hefty software because it is so fancy looking. MS never got it right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, if you have a decent video card, Vista with the Aero interface is pretty darn snappy. The interface isn't slowing the OS down at all in my (albeit fairly limited) experience. OTOH, there are a lot of questionable background processes that do have a huge effect on performance!

flox
03-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Cheers FE_pilot! I have been usi ng the same UI "tweak" for quite some time and I love it because this method doesn't require any additional software in order to work (one less program hogging precious system resources). Here's my current theme (called "Royale"; not a huge departure from the default xp scheme but I think it's better nonetheless):



http://www.geocities.com/flox232/forummisc/dxthemess.jpg

Popey109
03-15-2007, 10:19 PM
For a lean and mean install of xp mite I suggest a little program called nlite!

you can google it.
for my install, what was 600mg's of **** I have cut down to 230megs of xp speed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

installs in about half the time too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

thats like 400mgs of FAT!!!

Stackhouse25th
03-15-2007, 11:29 PM
ya know vista sucks right now, but when SP1 hits the shelves im grabbing a copy of it and putting a new machine together. For one, Vista is really more secure and a better platform, however a lot of stuff just isnt right.

-HH-Quazi
03-16-2007, 01:46 AM
There are some features in Vista that I would like to have in XP. And this little program mimics one of them:

http://www.otakusoftware.com/topdesk/

I bought it a long time ago and have been using it quite alot.

capt_frank
03-16-2007, 07:42 AM
so what do i do with the "Vistab2" file after i've downloaded and extracted? there doesn't appear to be an exe file. i know it's got to go somewhere in "windows" but i'm hesitant to just plopping it anywhere...

thanks!

flox
03-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Hey capt_frank, first you will need to go here (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Themes/UXTheme-Patch-For-Windows-XP-SP2-Final.shtml) and follow the directions. Then, extract the "vistab2" files into C:\windows\resources\themes.

What this basically does is unlock you ability to use custom visual themes in XP via the display control panel.

http://www.geocities.com/flox232/forummisc/ctpanelss.jpg


edit: looks like I finally killed my geocities account. Guess I'll have to switch to photobucket or another service. :/

MEGILE
03-16-2007, 08:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
hehe thanx but no thanx http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I use the old win 95 GUI http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif... don't like chrome and stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Classic windoze here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

capt_frank
03-16-2007, 11:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flox:
Hey capt_frank, first you will need to go here (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Themes/UXTheme-Patch-For-Windows-XP-SP2-Final.shtml) and follow the directions. Then, extract the "vistab2" files into C:\windows\resources\themes.

What this basically does is unlock you ability to use custom visual themes in XP via the display control panel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't seem to get rid of the uxtheme.dll file. everytime I try to replace it, it reverts to the old file. after rebooting, there's no change/ability to alter the themes in the display control panel. i checked and i do have windows sp2 installed.

any ideas?

thanks!

Huxley_S
03-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Not normally a big fan of XP visual themes. I normally always use the Windows Classic Style. But this is good. I like it a lot. Cheers for the link.

I used the style manager in TuneUp Utilities to install it... www.tune-up.com (http://www.tune-up.com)

jarink
03-16-2007, 11:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by capt_frank:
I can't seem to get rid of the uxtheme.dll file. everytime I try to replace it, it reverts to the old file. after rebooting, there's no change/ability to alter the themes in the display control panel. i checked and i do have windows sp2 installed.

any ideas?

thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The uxtheme.dll file is a protected Windows file. Whenever Windows sees a change to it, it will try replacing it with a "good" copy from either your C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache folder or (if the file is not there) the original XP CD.

Try placing the new uxtheme.dll file in the dllcache folder first, then also place it in system32. (I would strongly suggest making a backup copy of the original file!)

capt_frank
03-16-2007, 12:17 PM
thanks everyone for your help. i ended up using the tune-up.com utility to get it done. nice utility BTW.

thanks again!