PDA

View Full Version : Leaked description on PSN seems to confirm dialog options and less assassin focus?

Sushiglutton
06-09-2018, 09:42 AM
From the templars over at reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/8pp8vk/full_ac_odyssey_description/

https://i.redditmedia.com/aReg2HbGe3gwIfQJdz0FLJUKZDeeyyB_2yF1eY4f06s.jpg?w= 1024&
https://i.redditmedia.com/aReg2HbGe3gwIfQJdz0FLJUKZDeeyyB_2yF1eY4f06s.jpg?w= 1024&

Damn if that's the protagonist he looks awesome! And dialogue options can be a ton of fun as Witcher 3 proved to me. So to me this sounds great. But I have a feeling the community will be, like in the build up for Blackflags, really sceptical ("Pirate Creed"). Well BF knocked it out of the park and I'm sure a visit to the Greek islands in the middle of Swedish November will warm my blood!

Edit: For some reason I can't post the picture....

rockfede5
06-09-2018, 10:05 AM
I have already make a thread about dialogue options and their affinity with Assassin's creed (called: AC ODYSSEY dialogue options !!??!!)
I am worried about this new feature and the possible consquences on Lore.
The only thing to do now is waiting the E3
and the first gameplay.

BananaBlighter
06-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Wow this really scares me. I knew we were going to be continuing the RPG focus in this game (which I honestly hated in Origins), but I never though it'd be this bad. You make a good point about this being like the bull dup to AC4, which I loved, but I also felt the same for the build up to Origins, and I didn't like it (as I expected). I didn't see a single mention of the word assassin in that, and the protagonist couldn't look less like an assassin.

AC4 had the pirate theme, but it still did everything an AC game needs to do. The story was great and explored both orders thoroughly while using Edward (who was unaffiliated with either side until the end) to give us an unbiased perspective of both ideologies. I'd actually say AC4 was 2nd only to AC1 in exploring the conflicting philosophies of both sides. The gameplay was also very 'assassiny', if not more so than past games, thanks to the revamp and increased focus on stealth. Parkour - which is my main draw to AC - was still quite good and cities like Havana were great fun to run around.

The same cannot be said for Origins. Origins also has a sort of 'warrior' and RPG focus (which is clearly continuing for Odyssey), like AC4 has a 'pirate' focus. However, it ended up sacrificing its AC identity to do that, which AC4 didn't. As far as the story goes, Origins barely touched on the two orders and didn't discuss their philosophies at all, despite supposedly being about the birth of the Brotherhood. Gameplay-wise, stealth and clearly taken a back seat to combat in almost every way: all the way from the open-world activities and RPG systems to the core mechanics and gameplay depth. The parkour was also thrown aside, and Origins easily has the worst parkour in the series IMO.

I might not get Odyssey (definitely won't pre-order as I usually do), unless it impresses me with an outstanding parkour and stealth system at E3.

ModernWaffle
06-09-2018, 12:11 PM
From the templars over at reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/8pp8vk/full_ac_odyssey_description/

Damn if that's the protagonist he looks awesome! And dialogue options can be a ton of fun as Witcher 3 proved to me. So to me this sounds great. But I have a feeling the community will be, like in the build up for Blackflags, really sceptical ("Pirate Creed"). Well BF knocked it out of the park and I'm sure a visit to the Greek islands in the middle of Swedish November will warm my blood!

Edit: For some reason I can't post the picture....

Thanks for the update sushiglutton - what I do like about that picture is that it's giving me a vibe quite different from Origins (i.e. it looks more fresh than I thought it would be atm). And sure, dialogue options / RPG elements can still be a blast if executed right.

Wow this really scares me. I knew we were going to be continuing the RPG focus in this game (which I honestly hated in Origins), but I never though it'd be this bad. You make a good point about this being like the bull dup to AC4, which I loved, but I also felt the same for the build up to Origins, and I didn't like it (as I expected). I didn't see a single mention of the word assassin in that, and the protagonist couldn't look less like an assassin.

I might not get Odyssey (definitely won't pre-order as I usually do), unless it impresses me with an outstanding parkour and stealth system at E3.

But I think BananaBlighter's got it right, this looks like a complete abandonment of everything AC definitely not the direction I expected after Origins which gave the whole sentiment of 'hey looks like the fans might have a point, let's slow down and try to put the franchise back on its original course'.

Beyond anything else, I'm really curious to see what the reaction to Odyssey will be within the next two days. I think either way I'm going to prepare myself to seeing fewer AC elements in this game than Origins but on the other hand, playing a Spartan warrior in Ancient Greece still sounds very fun to me so I'm hoping that they can at least pull off what they're trying to do well since it may indeed lead to another Black Flag scenario.

ninja4hire10
06-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Looking purely at the fun and entertaining aspect of this, playing a Spartan dude (or dudette...dual protags are the rumor, apparently) sounds like a blast. And if each has different stories-- which they obviously should, seeing as how each would've been raised differently in respect to Spartan society--ups the replay value.

But the pic and description seem about as un-Assassin as you can get. It does seem as if Ubi has less focus on the lore and the series' core elements and more attention given to face to face armored combat.

Still, I keep the faith and without a shred of doubt will preorder my Gold Edition ASAP.

ModernWaffle
06-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Craziest part is that the image (and the 2 second teaser) have no hood in view. Wonder if they've ditched it entirely seeing as it wouldn't really fit in the context.

joelsantos24
06-09-2018, 06:25 PM
I think this may very well be the death of AC. This absolutely pathological obsession of theirs, with RPGs, will undoubtedly destroy the concepts that defined the series. Origins already took care of a small part of that task, and this game might well finish it.

The emphasis on the narrative is less and less significant, with each passing instalment, at the same time, we have the increasing focus on ordinary RPG elements, as well as hand-to-hand combat, so, it's safe to say that none of this is appealing to me. I'll wait for the E3 reveal, but I'm not very hopeful that this is misinterpretation or lack of information.

Luckily, Playstation's cornerstones are precisely what I'm looking for in video-games. Considering what the AC series stood for and what it stands for now, maybe it's death is not really a bad thing. Maybe it's time to move on, especially from Ubisoft. Well, I still have The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, so, whatever...

dxsxhxcx
06-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Just reboot the franchise and give it a new name already, it would be less embarrassing than continue beating a dead horse (AC's lore and identity) just to capitalize on the premise of visiting different eras.

Frag_Maniac
06-09-2018, 11:00 PM
I think this may very well be the death of AC. This absolutely pathological obsession of theirs, with RPGs, will undoubtedly destroy the concepts that defined the series. Origins already took care of a small part of that task, and this game might well finish it.

The emphasis on the narrative is less and less significant, with each passing instalment...
Welcome to games for profit, not fanbase. ;)

Seriously though, I still think Origins as a prequel is OK, there can be more to AC than just the Assassins vs Templars bit. You can see how the Assassin's vs Templars may have evolved from the interference of the Romans in Origins, which is why I'm OK with it. Such a creed can start small and progress into larger numbers and more significant goals.

I happen to agree with you on taking it too far turning it into a full on RPG with dialog options though, especially if the varied outcomes involves affecting whom dies or takes or is removed from power. Anything less would be window dressing and come off as a game that tries to play like an RPG without needing to or reaping the benefits of.

In fact, if anything, I want them to go back to making the present day stuff out of the animus more creative, with stealth and platforming. Anymore it's pretty much become a joke of a digital entertainment theater, with a bunch of geeks at desks watching Abstergo movies based on ancestral DNA. Not so much in Origins, but I did think it was odd Layla, a woman, is in the animus, accessing DNA memories of a man, Bayek. They could have had a guy accessing Bayek, and Layla accessing Aya, but they dumbed it down to nonsense.

RVSage
06-09-2018, 11:36 PM
The leak kind of suggests, you build your own character RPG style, if that is the case i.e, we do not play a fully fleshed out character(s), it is an instant no buy for me.

I am okay with all this RPG elements, as long as it Witcher like, where it revolves around a written character not a custom one

joelsantos24
06-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Welcome to games for profit, not fanbase. ;)

Seriously though, I still think Origins as a prequel is OK, there can be more to AC than just the Assassins vs Templars bit. You can see how the Assassin's vs Templars may have evolved from the interference of the Romans in Origins, which is why I'm OK with it. Such a creed can start small and progress into larger numbers and more significant goals.

I happen to agree with you on taking it too far turning it into a full on RPG with dialog options though, especially if the varied outcomes involves affecting whom dies or takes or is removed from power. Anything less would be window dressing and come off as a game that tries to play like an RPG without needing to or reaping the benefits of.

In fact, if anything, I want them to go back to making the present day stuff out of the animus more creative, with stealth and platforming. Anymore it's pretty much become a joke of a digital entertainment theater, with a bunch of geeks at desks watching Abstergo movies based on ancestral DNA. Not so much in Origins, but I did think it was odd Layla, a woman, is in the animus, accessing DNA memories of a man, Bayek. They could have had a guy accessing Bayek, and Layla accessing Aya, but they dumbed it down to nonsense.
Well, I admit there might be more to this series than the Assassins vs. Templars foundation. However, the series is called "Assassin's Creed" for a reason, not a whim. If they're done with the concepts that represented the cornerstone of what the series stood for, so be it, it's their game, their prerogative. But saying it's their game, doesn't mean much, because it's our choice to buy it or not. That is to say, it's our choice to subscribe to these changes or not.

Many fans already called for it, and since they appear to be done with what this series was all about, they should just rename it or simply create a spinoff. The truth is, the name "Assassin's Creed" sells, and that's the only reason they're sticking with it. Ubisoft is defiling everything that defined it, but they want to keep "milking" the name for all it might be worth.

Black Flag, as far as the AC series goes, stands at the very bottom of my personal ranking. It's the AC I like and enjoy the least. Some might agree. Some may disagree. But I don't want another "Black Flag". I don't want another mercenary, turning assassin at the very end. I'm done with the drone. I don't care for creating characters from scratch and building his/her own story. I think that some RPG elements can enrich a game's general experience, but I don't want an actual, absolute, classic RPG. This isn't what I signed up for, roughly 10 years ago.

Like I said before, I'm very fortunate because Playstation's fundamental focus, is to create great stories and amazing experiences, reinforcing the single player perspective. Apart from TD and AC, I only play exclusives. I've already sold TD, and I'll probably move on from AC entirely. It was good while it lasted, but this is no longer for me, apparently. I'm going to wait for the reveal, either later tonight, at Microsoft's presentation, or tomorrow, at Ubisoft's, but I almost made up my mind. God of War, The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, etc. Why on earth would I ever linger on with Ubisoft and it's "empty, barren services"?

The leak kind of suggests, you build your own character RPG style, if that is the case i.e, we do not play a fully fleshed out character(s), it is an instant no buy for me.

I am okay with all this RPG elements, as long as it Witcher like, where it revolves around a written character not a custom one
Completely agreed. Regarding RPG elements, Origins' style is as far as I'd be willing to go and tolerate. More than that, and I'm out.

Megas_Doux
06-10-2018, 04:30 PM
The second thing that annoys me the most other the almost confirmed 2018 release date is the fact that going back in time kinda defeats the purpose of Origins..It feels like if somebody thought "Man, having a game called Origins during the the fist century BC kinda prevents us from using many settings".

Shoehorning at its best.

AC IV is probably my favorite, but I don't want another Black Flag.

dxsxhxcx
06-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Well, I admit there might be more to this series than the Assassins vs. Templars foundation. However, the series is called "Assassin's Creed" for a reason, not a whim. If they're done with the concepts that represented the cornerstone of what the series stood for, so be it, it's their game, their prerogative. But saying it's their game, doesn't mean much, because it's our choice to buy it or not. That is to say, it's our choice to subscribe to these changes or not.

Many fans already called for it, and since appear to be done with what this series was all about, they should just rename it or simply create a spinoff. The truth is, the name "Assassin's Creed" sells, and that's the only reason they're sticking with it. Ubisoft is defiling everything that defined it, but they want to keep "milking" the name for all it might be worth.

Black Flag, as far as the AC series goes, stands at the very bottom of my personal ranking. It's the AC I like and enjoy the least. Some might agree. Some may disagree. But I don't want another "Black Flag". I don't want another mercenary, turning assassin at the very end. I'm done with the drone. I don't care for creating characters from scratch and building his/her own story. I think that some RPG elements can enrich a game's general experience, but I don't want an actual, absolute, classic RPG. This isn't what I signed up for, roughly 10 years ago.

Like I said before, I'm very fortunate because Playstation's fundamental focus, is to create great stories and amazing experiences, reinforcing the single player perspective. Apart from TD and AC, I only play exclusives. I've already sold TD, and I'll probably move on from AC entirely. It was good while it lasted, but this is no longer for me, apparently. I'm going to wait for the reveal, either later tonight, at Microsoft's presentation, or tomorrow, at Ubisoft's, but I almost made up my mind. God of War, The Last of Us, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, etc. Why on earth would I ever linger on with Ubisoft and it's "empty, barren services"?

Completely agreed. Regarding RPG elements, Origins' style is as far as I'd be willing to go and tolerate. More than that, and I'm out.

Very well said joelsantos24, I feel the same way.

I enjoy RPG games a lot but I think most of its mechanics have no place in AC.

Infinite_Gnosis
06-10-2018, 06:33 PM
Ubisoft.. please just let AC die with grace.. AC had an amazing creative concept and story the first couple of games, full of surprises, mindf*cks, and mystery. The free running flowed like crazy and was very addictive and fun from the start. it also had some of the best soundtracks ever made in gaming history in my opinion.
The soul of AC has left it's body a long time ago.. Just let it die in peace. A couple of billion dollars still not enough?