PDA

View Full Version : SLI System Test

ssherm01
01-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Hi Guys, My name is Scott and I own Bjorn3D.com. I have am working with reviewing my SLI system and have some questions of what to use in my review. I will also post here the results for those interested.

I want to know the following.

What do you use OpenGL or DX?
What are is the resolution you would like tested? I will be doing one 6800GT vs SLI

The ini settings you want me to test for the best image quality?

Hopefully Oleg and give some input.

Here are the system specs.

Asus A8N-SLI
AMD FX-55
2 GB of Corsair PC4400
2 6800GT's NVIDIA Reference Boards
2x Maxtor Diamond 10 250GB SATA RAID 0
Audigy 2 ZS

Any other info you want just post. The IL-2 games and have them all plus PF.

Thank you for any input you can give!!

ssherm01
01-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Hi Guys, My name is Scott and I own Bjorn3D.com. I have am working with reviewing my SLI system and have some questions of what to use in my review. I will also post here the results for those interested.

I want to know the following.

What do you use OpenGL or DX?
What are is the resolution you would like tested? I will be doing one 6800GT vs SLI

The ini settings you want me to test for the best image quality?

Hopefully Oleg and give some input.

Here are the system specs.

Asus A8N-SLI
AMD FX-55
2 GB of Corsair PC4400
2 6800GT's NVIDIA Reference Boards
2x Maxtor Diamond 10 250GB SATA RAID 0
Audigy 2 ZS

Any other info you want just post. The IL-2 games and have them all plus PF.

Thank you for any input you can give!!

ZG77_Nagual
01-12-2005, 08:46 AM
I had to rma my copy of this board - but SLI will not work properly in perfect mode unless you manually modify the settings for the nvidia SLI drivers - Opengl is what most of us use.
Here is a link to an article describing the solution.

SLI article (http://www.behardware.com/articles/536/page4.html)

I've read alot of good and bad about this board. In my case the board was unuseable - I am hoping the replacement will be better.

Here is a list of the issues I encountered.

Overclocking related:
Any attempt to overclock - either using supplied software or bios - resulted in a post error upon reboot.

NOS overclocking consistently locked up the machine when throttling down - for example - PF would run stably at a 10% oc with NOS - but upon exiting when the app attempted to throttle the cpu back down the system would hang.

Using the normal overclock I did not encounter this problem. - only the post error indicated above.

In order to resolve this issue I flashed the bios. This did fix it, but the board would not post after being disconnected from power unless cmos was cleared.

The Board also locked up and rebooted a few other times but I only ran it for a day before rma'ing it - I've seen BBS entries indicated problems with the RAID controller and instabilities associated with the SATA setup - though some users report no problems at all. Look forward to your review. Reports indicate you'll see the most difference at higher resolutions. Might be interesting to run it with 6600gts as I think this is a popular option.

The Kamikaze track has become the defacto standard for evaluating PF graphic performance.
Good luck! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ddsflyer
01-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Falcon Northwest is offering an SLI system with this board. You might ask them how they overcame these problems.

ssherm01
01-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Yeah but from what I have seen is 2 6600's in SLI hardly beat a single 6800GT. I think my test will show more.

ZG77_Nagual
01-12-2005, 09:43 AM
It'll be interesting to see how it performs specifically for PF http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

noshens
01-12-2005, 12:54 PM
dont' forget to use water=3 in .ini settings http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cdn.401GATOR
01-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Open GL correct..

Try it with some serious AA and AF modes..

also make sure you are using perfect landscape.. (Fancy water effects)..

Then use kamikaze pf track to test the fps..

1024 X 768 is the most common resolution used as previous threads have mentioned..

it would be good to see histograms to see where the dips are..

Thanks for doing this I am very interested to see your results..

Shot2Pieces
01-12-2005, 04:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZG77_Nagual:
I had to rma my copy of this board - but SLI will not work properly in perfect mode unless you manually modify the settings for the nvidia SLI drivers - Opengl is what most of us use.
Here is a link to an article describing the solution.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/536/page4.html

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you manage to get SLI to work with perfect water without distortion? I manually changed the mode to the same value as Far Cry in the nvapps.xml file, and it does make PF use SFR mode. However, the problem now appears to be that the top half of the screen is correctly rendered, but the bottom half has distortion, ie the part rendered by one of the cards is bad. The distortion in SFR isn't flickering like it was in AFR mode, so it looks like with AFR it was rendering one good frame then one bad from the other card to cause the flickering.

Very interested to see if anyone else gets this to work, if you can then perhaps its a problem with my system

ZG77_Nagual
01-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Nope, didn't try before I rma'd it. Will do so when I get the new board and post results.

Chivas
01-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Open GL.... I think you must use Open GL for in game perfect settings
1024X768
Perfect Settings
ini settings.....Water 0,1,2,3
AA...2XQ or whatever
AF...On and Off
Black Death Track....most people use this for benchmarking their system

vonSchnitter
01-13-2005, 01:12 AM
Well Chaps,

got my SLI rig to work in perfect last night.

AMD-4000
ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe
2 x MSI GF6800 - 256
1 Gig Corsair whatever.

In perfect you may expect FPS gains up to 50 % - even at resolutions as high as 1920x1200 - whatever you had before with a single GPU.

For a quick reference: in QMB flying just the stock A-20 mission with clouds clocks out in the low 50 FPS range - 1920x1200, 4 AA, 4 Aniso. A single board ended up in the low 30s.
At the 1280x960 same settings in the low 80s.

Cheers
Snip

Shot2Pieces
01-13-2005, 02:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vonSchnitter:
Well Chaps,

got my SLI rig to work in perfect last night.

AMD-4000
ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe
2 x MSI GF6800 - 256
1 Gig Corsair whatever.

In perfect you may expect FPS gains up to 50 % - even at resolutions as high as 1920x1200 - whatever you had before with a single GPU.

For a quick reference: in QMB flying just the stock A-20 mission with clouds clocks out in the low 50 FPS range - 1920x1200, 4 AA, 4 Aniso. A single board ended up in the low 30s.
At the 1280x960 same settings in the low 80s.

Cheers
Snip <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, nice to see. How did you get the water to show correctly? Did you change the mode in nvapps.xml?

vonSchnitter
01-13-2005, 03:12 AM
Yep.

this line did it:

&lt;PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="4c00002" Itemtype="predefined"/&gt;

Cheers
Snip

stansdds
01-13-2005, 03:45 AM
So what you are saying is that however fast a single pci express card may be, two of the same cards in sli will be about 50% faster?

I see where one company has put two 6600's on a single card and made a one card SLI rig, but after reading the reviews it doesn't stand up to a single 6800GT pci e.

Shot2Pieces
01-13-2005, 06:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vonSchnitter:
Yep.

this line did it:

&lt;PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="4c00002" Itemtype="predefined"/&gt;

Cheers
Snip <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that's what I did before, its the same value as Far Cry, but I still get the same distortion on the bottom half of the screen. I'll do some more checking, maybe the 6600GT is the problem, it has white shadows with some ground objects and no other card does so maybe its not good with PF...or maybe one of my cards is porked.

vonSchnitter
01-13-2005, 11:25 AM
S2P,

if you think posting my settings in detail would help you solve your issues, let me know.

Cheers
Snip

ZG77_Nagual
01-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Mine will be a dual 6600gt rig too - should have the new board early next week. I have the white shadow issue as well - be interesting to see.

Shot2Pieces
01-13-2005, 03:13 PM
S2P,

if you think posting my settings in detail would help you solve your issues, let me know.

Cheers
Snip <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please do, that would be great http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

vonSchnitter
01-14-2005, 04:23 AM
Hi Shot2Pieces,

sorry for the delay, but I had a nasty surprise lastnight.

Wanted to test some more. Ye know ....

So I just changed the AA slider in the IL-2 profile in the Nvidia thingy and guess what. Boom. The same distorted display as any one else seems to have in SLI with "Perfect". Putting the slider back into its innitial position changed nothing.

A couple of hours later I think I found a way which gets me to repeatable results with good SLI. At least this has been checked trough a couple of reboots, loosing SLI and getting it back to operation.

Here goes:
IL-2 Setup - Just use the defaults for the 6800 - the only thing I changed was filtering from Trilinear to Aniso - but this should not impact the outcome.

Next edit this nvapps.xml - a link to the desktop will come handy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

find the Il-2 "profile" and remove everything except the two lines designating il and fb as the exes connected with the profile and the SLI line
&lt;PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="4c00002" Itemtype="predefined"/&gt;.
This has to be the last line in the profile at this stage.

next delete Itemtype="predefined" from this line. It should look like this:

&lt;PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="4c00002"/&gt; ( no whitespace between the " and the / ; else FB may not launch for a second time and you get some opengl whatever error.

Do not go into the NVIDIA profile thing.

Start PF and see if it works ok. It did for me at this stage.

Now comes the fun stuff:

If you change things in the profile gui, some changes will put FB on dope again, some will not.
Changing the AA value will, changing the sync value to no (you will need to do this anyway to improve FPS ) will not.

Sometimes the SLI line will be rewritten, sometimes not.
At times it will be rewritten, but PF stays ok - until the next boot, sometimes not.

That parser for the profiles is quite moody.

However, if the "epmty" profile with modification thing got you into a working SLI in perfect, you should be able to get back to it, after something has gone wrong.

Would be good to hear about your results. Just to make sure it is not just my box - or there is something "in" my smokes, I am not aware of.

Cheers
Snip