PDA

View Full Version : Need some tips on offline mission building

LuckyNed
09-28-2004, 07:30 PM
S! All

Anything you might add to help me make some fun little offline missions. I really wish the AI aircraft would stay within their planes abilities. I'm having a hard time setting up climb rates for friendly planes and dogfights seem to end with everyone zooming back to the heavens and on with their original flight paths. Is it me or will the AI ignore their planes true abilities?

LuckyNed
09-28-2004, 07:30 PM
S! All

Anything you might add to help me make some fun little offline missions. I really wish the AI aircraft would stay within their planes abilities. I'm having a hard time setting up climb rates for friendly planes and dogfights seem to end with everyone zooming back to the heavens and on with their original flight paths. Is it me or will the AI ignore their planes true abilities?

nearmiss
09-28-2004, 07:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyNed:
S! All

Anything you might add to help me make some fun little offline missions. I really wish the AI aircraft would stay within their planes abilities. I'm having a hard time setting up climb rates for friendly planes and dogfights seem to end with everyone zooming back to the heavens and on with their original flight paths. Is it me or will the AI ignore their planes true abilities? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) There is a mission builders forum.

2) The AI is a mystery to most of us as well.

You can try as you will, but setting climb rates is gonna be difficult. The waypoints are timed in 1 minute increments. A lot can happen in a minute.

Jumoschwanz
09-28-2004, 10:54 PM
When I put a mission together in the FMB, I climb in each plane on the map I am using and fly the route myself. I watch the map and mark down what speed and altitude I can get to at each point on the route and then I put this info into the waypoints.

It is a lot more trouble, but another thing I do is instead of creating one object with four planes in it, I will create four objects each with one plane in it, and tie them together as each others targets to keep them together enroute. This gives them the ability to act more independently in some situations. I am sure it is more of a load on the cpu though, but I have a fast rig here.
One advantage here is the ability to have them all attack different air or ground targets, instead of all four planes bombing one tank or aaa gun. Also the wingmen instead of blindly following the leader to the ground after he is hit will do something more useful. Try it out.

The AI never uses thier crafts abilities. An Me262 will slow down and turn fight with a P11 for instance. I am sure there is work being done to improve this right ubi? S!

Jumoschwanz

LuckyNed
10-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Thanks!