PDA

View Full Version : General set up questions

Catandra
10-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Hey Gents,

I have a few questions with setting up the sim.

1. I can't seem to get the "clear" water effect offshore like they show in the screenshots. Is there a setting somewhere to make for better water effects? I've got a great video card and tons of RAM.

2. For some reason, the sim doesn't recognize my joystick (a Saitek Aviator). I'm able to make it work by programming every button in the control section but I seem to recall my old Logitech joystick didn't require that.

Catandra
10-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Hey Gents,

1. I can't seem to get the "clear" water effect offshore like they show in the screenshots. Is there a setting somewhere to make for better water effects? I've got a great video card and tons of RAM.

2. For some reason, the sim doesn't recognize my joystick (a Saitek Aviator). I'm able to make it work by programming every button in the control section but I seem to recall my old Logitech joystick didn't require that.

Xiolablu3
10-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Hi there,

Make sure you are running in OpenGL.

Now go into your Il2 conf.ini in your Il2 folder (just double click it and it should open in notepad), and change hardwareshaders to 1 in both OpenGl and DirectX portion of the .ini file. (There will be 2 'hardwareshaders' settings altogther, change them both)

This should make your water look nice.

You can also tweak water a bit further :-

You can change water to 0, 1 ,2,3 or 4.

If you tell us your cpu and gfx card we can tell you which setting is probably best for you for Water.

0, 1,2,3 and 4 use different levels of shaders. No harm will come from trying them all.

I use Hardwareshaders = 1 and water = 0 as this gives me 60fps constant for online play, and the water still looks very nice. I have a XP2500+, 1.25gb of ram and a Radeon X800 Pro.

As for your JS, I cant help there sorry.

Bearcat99
10-09-2007, 06:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Catandra:
Hey Gents,

2. For some reason, the sim doesn't recognize my joystick (a Saitek Aviator). I'm able to make it work by programming every button in the control section but I seem to recall my old Logitech joystick didn't require that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For set up we would need to know more about your hardware.... video,CPU & RAM.. as for the joystick.. it is best to use the prtofiling software in my opinion. See the set up guides @ M4T (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&cat=59) for further help.

Catandra
10-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks Guys!

As to my video card, it is an InVidia 8800 GTS.

major_setback
10-09-2007, 02:28 PM
In game: You need to go to hardware setup, then to Video Options, then select 'Custom', change Landscape Detail to Perfect if it isn't already.

Out of game: Go to the file marked 'conf' or 'conf.ini' in your main game folder, look at the section starting with [Render_OpenGL] and make sure that 'HardwareShaders' is set to 1 ie it should read:

HardwareShaders=1

Xiolablu3
10-09-2007, 02:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Catandra:
Thanks Guys!

As to my video card, it is an InVidia 8800 GTS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WIth that card you should be able to put everything on full then, 1600x1200 resolution, Perfect Graphics, Hardwareshaders = 1.

As for water, try all 5 settings and see which looks best to you. Setting '4' is not necesarily the best looking. Pick which one you like best. You can only change these settings in your conf.ini file.

You may want to monitor FPS as you try things, but really your 8800 geforce should handle whatever settings you want. I forget what the command is to show Frames per second, can anyone help here?

There is also a file in your IL2 folder called il2setup.exe, which can suggest settings for your card, but I think most of us tend to think its best to set things manually (custom) rather than pick the relevant profile for your card.

Under 'Driver' use Opengl and tick 'Use Stencil buffer'

Under 'Video' :-

Enable 'Custom settings' so you can set things manually, rather than use the presets.

I swear by S3 texture compression (S3TC) in the settings, but others say they see worse graphics with it on. It compresses the textures meaning you will get less hitching and stuttering. The compression is ALMOST lossless. But they do lose a bit of clarity in theory. I cannot tell any difference except I get a much smoother game. Try it for yourself.

For the other settings, I recommend :-

Texture Mipmap filter = Anisotropic (Trilinear will give a performance boost but make imgae quality look a bit worse)

Texture Compresion = S3TC

Use Dither - ON
USe Vertex Arrays - ON
Polygon Stipple - ON

Disable All - OFF
Clip Hint - OFF
Use Palette - OFF
All other settings - ON

Set up your sound settings to use the settings you want. Try and enable 'Audio enhancements and hardware acceleration' if you have a hardware soundcard and not an onboard software card.