PDA

View Full Version : Compass Problems

VFS-214_Hawk
10-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Check your compass. The one in the new P-47 seems to stick and then spin out of control.

VFS-214_Hawk
10-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Check your compass. The one in the new P-47 seems to stick and then spin out of control.

VF-17_DWolf
10-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Works just like a real one. If you make a shallow bank turn of 15 Degrees or less and keep the ball centered, and in level flight(not going up or down.), the compass rolls around as it should.

If you make a tight turn it sticks like a real one does, then unsticks when you level out.

I flew real airplanes with the same type of compass, and it does the exact same thing.

Before fighter pilots entered dogfights they usually caged(Locked them) their Gyro Compass and Artificial Horizon and a few other gauge's, to keep them from banging around, and becoming useless.

I'm going to check out the rest of the airplanes to see if they do the same thing.

VF-17_DWolf

VFS-214_Hawk
10-23-2005, 08:32 AM
I never new a free floating compass to stick unless it was low on fluid. Been flying old airplanes for 26 years and never incountered that. I will check into it.

Thanks for the insight.

VF-17_DWolf
10-23-2005, 11:15 AM
In shallow easy turns, a compass won't stick, but in steep hard banks and uncordinated turns, as what happens in the game, the compass will stick.

I remember in flight training, not to rely on the magnetic compass in a climb or hard bank, or bank in general, because it usually sticks unless it is in level flight.

I could pull out my Private Pilot Training Manual, but's it's buried in my closet and if I pull it out the whole thing will cave in on me...LOL

But I'll check it out if you want me to.

VF-17_DWolf

VFS-214_Hawk
10-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Interestingly the SBD compass doesnt stick.

Just tried it again in the P-47 and it sticks in as little as 10 degree bank

|CoB|_Spectre
10-23-2005, 05:18 PM
The lack of an RMI in the P-47 still amazes me. Seems also that I've noticed some US aircraft RMIs (with the dual needle configuration) are conflicting. By that, I mean I've noticed there is the "hollow" needle (two parallel lines with pointers) indicating bearing to the next waypoint and the aircraft's relative bearing on the solid needle. However, seems I've seen it just the opposite (hollow needle indicating aircraft bearing, solid needle indicating bearing to waypoint) in some other US models. Most US aircraft had some standardization of instruments and the same part numbered instrument was often used in many different types. I'll have to pay close attention to which models this is seen it and report back.